30k Hobby Chat

11 hours ago, Brother_Angelus said:

Since the Land Raider Proteus comes with the spartan sponson set, but only uses half the lascannons, it leaves enough parts to build a quad cannon array. Combine with some old vindicators languishing in the cupboard to create cheap and dirty magna laser destroyers.

That is really clever, I'm tempted to grab a few vindicators and do that myself. How did the fit work in the housing, did much need trimming?

11 hours ago, Hfran Morkai said:

Also late to the party but just realised Centurions get Relentless

I think it's quicker to list what doesn't have Relentless than what does have it...  They really sprinkled it about in a way that they probably couldn't in 40k!  

(I think the list is Tactical, Breacher, Support, Scout, Recon and Despoilers, as the other units that don't have it can't take a rapid fire or heavy weapon so it doesn't matter if they have relentless or not)

13 hours ago, No Foes Remain said:

That is really clever, I'm tempted to grab a few vindicators and do that myself. How did the fit work in the housing, did much need trimming?

It's pretty simple. A straight vertical cut where the hole for the top sight and bottom plug of the sponson would go, then looking from front on there's a little shoulder to be shaved from the top on each side to match the diagonal parts of the housing. I cut a piece of plasticard to fit the space in the housing because I tore out the old cannon parts, but you could probably just cut the cannon piece flat on a new kit and use the plate to mount the array.

So here is the question for the ages(!) World Eaters and camo. :biggrin:

Late Great Crusade-era, so while they were transitioning to berserkers, and so still knew which end of a boltgun was the shooty end, what sort of colours might they have used for camo when necessary?

Am doing some recon marines and vehicle (on a normal, verdant/forest & shrubland style planet) and wondering what kind of camo to go for.

3 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

So here is the question for the ages(!) World Eaters and camo. :biggrin:

Late Great Crusade-era, so while they were transitioning to berserkers, and so still knew which end of a boltgun was the shooty end, what sort of colours might they have used for camo when necessary?

Am doing some recon marines and vehicle (on a normal, verdant/forest & shrubland style planet) and wondering what kind of camo to go for.

Surely a Rogue Trader homage is in order? I like top left and bottom right, but your planet might want a different one. 

4AD19429-E33D-4DCC-AD1F-1D69F69FA07A.jpegActually I’d stick with the palette suggestions by @Cactus and @SlickSamos. At epic scale the green will just get lost. Rationalise it by saying they’ve carried over the scheme from their previous warzone.

Edited by LameBeard

I've just been and looked at your recent updates @Pacific81a and I see a lot of brown/green terrain. I suggest a pattern like @LameBeards top-left example using green and brown over white. You could keep some white and blue accents on the infantry so they don't disappear into the base, or model them with camo cloaks over white armour. A cloaked XIIth legion recon squad would look great!

Thanks a lot for the replies guys! :thumbsup:

@Lamebeard - this forum needs a 'heart' reaction, that art from RT is EXACTLY what I was after. I didnt know that existed, and it fits in perfectly with the rest of the RT references in the army. Thanks a lot!

@Cactus - thanks and I agree about something becoming 'invisible' at that scale and just blending into a base, as much as I like the White Scars camo one. I will try and do the top-left but with a green perhaps. Now to try and sculpt cloaks onto the little 6mm mk6 dudes, tally ho!

8 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

Thanks a lot for the replies guys! :thumbsup:

@Lamebeard - this forum needs a 'heart' reaction, that art from RT is EXACTLY what I was after. I didnt know that existed, and it fits in perfectly with the rest of the RT references in the army. Thanks a lot!

I think maybe it was from White Dwarf or the Compendium and not actually in the Rogue Trader rulebook. You know there is one with marines on too? And the odd epic use of camouflage - like I quoted in my post here:

Edited by LameBeard

On 10/29/2022 at 4:47 AM, Hfran Morkai said:

The urge to build a Veteran Squad in the style of a Recon Squad but with some fun toys as a Vigilator's "retinue" rising.

It is a nice option, mobile snipers, but I feel you waste the WS5 and 2A on the veterans if you do. Seekers might be a great alternative as they essentially have better sniper rifles, but only 24" range. Precision shots on a 4+ instead of always, but they are AP2 on a 4+ to wound, instead of rending 5+. Seekers are also BS5, so will get more hits.

6 Seekers - 6 shots, 5 hits, 3 are precise. 1.5 precise AP2 wounds.

6 Nemesis vets - 6 shots, 4 hits. Rend on 5+ = 1.33 precise rending wounds. 

Seekers can also move and fire, and are ~13ppm (~50%) cheaper than sniper vets. 

Edited by Xenith

2 hours ago, Cactus said:

Veterans and centurions are relentless in 2nd edition so move, fire and charge with nemesis bolters is legit.

No one is arguing that, however what I'm saying is that seekers do the same, albeit at 24" for 13ppm less per model with their Assault 1 breaching 4+ scorpius rounds. 

5 hours ago, Xenith said:

It is a nice option, mobile snipers, but I feel you waste the WS5 and 2A on the veterans if you do. Seekers might be a great alternative as they essentially have better sniper rifles, but only 24" range. Precision shots on a 4+ instead of always, but they are AP2 on a 4+ to wound, instead of rending 5+. Seekers are also BS5, so will get more hits.

6 Seekers - 6 shots, 5 hits, 3 are precise. 1.5 precise AP2 wounds.

6 Nemesis vets - 6 shots, 4 hits. Rend on 5+ = 1.33 precise rending wounds. 

Seekers can also move and fire, and are ~13ppm (~50%) cheaper than sniper vets. 

It was for the extra goodies you can bring. Like a Heavy Bolter (which I know isn't amazing rules-wise) and a bunch of Power Weapons.

An ineffective unit most likely but it would be cool to model up.

I do like Seekers as well though and plan on building a fair few squads. It's interesting they've made us choose between their Special Ammunition or Combi-Weapons this edition.

55 minutes ago, Xenith said:

No one is arguing that, however what I'm saying is that seekers do the same, albeit at 24" for 13ppm less per model with their Assault 1 breaching 4+ scorpius rounds. 

Ah, okay. I misread your last sentence as being a thing seekers can do that veterans can't.

Another forgotten project I am looking to resurrect.

Been sitting in a box for 4-5 years

IMG_20221106_185637.thumb.jpg.844889dabce09b0996435b440ae43c4e.jpg

Thought it might give the Wolves a bit of mobility and potentially some armour hunting capability.

Not sure what it would be best to arm the jetbikes with, any advice?

Edited by Dantay VI
Get rid of Imgur as not great from mobile