30k Hobby Chat

Close victory against some Imperial Fists last night, Blood Feud went 7-2 in favour of the alphas in the end - My opponent couldn't quite finish off my MSU seekers, recons and headhunters while I hunted down his last troops, so I killed more and had more remaining on board for last man standing, nice fun game, and the HKT did really decently well, considering I got seized on! 

3 hours ago, Mandragola said:

I’ve had some ideas about converting sisters of silence to create their units. This is my attempt at a couple of the snipers armed with “Vratine nemesis bolters”. What do you think?

78A4BAD6-44D1-41CE-A6A6-2D62FAC2FCD4.thumb.jpeg.60fb32b776f522002a1485bddf938383.jpeg

Great conversation. Really good.

On 10/7/2022 at 3:13 AM, WrathOfTheLion said:

Does anyone have any opinions on color scheme for Emperor's Children destroyers?

Going to do some for my Istvaan III loyalists, but I'm not sure whether to do the body in black with purple shoulderpads and maybe a purple helm, or keep the base body color purple with black shoulderpads.

I'm worried my earlier joke response put people off replying sensibly, so here's a proper answer: if you already have a lot of EC infantry in purple, then paint them black with purple shoulder pads. They will look distinctive on the battlefield. If it is a relatively small force with not too many infantry, paint them purple with black shoulder pads. This will keep the coherent look of the whole force.  If you still think you are a half-way house, have you considered this kind of scheme (substituting the BA red for EC purple, obviously)?

73943e86e28998e2fad0065d079a1943.jpg

Picture credit: sorry I found this on the internet thanks to a search engine but did not see the original artist. I will edit this if anyone knows or claims it.

Edited by LameBeard
typo

On 10/7/2022 at 4:13 AM, WrathOfTheLion said:

Does anyone have any opinions on color scheme for Emperor's Children destroyers?

Going to do some for my Istvaan III loyalists, but I'm not sure whether to do the body in black with purple shoulderpads and maybe a purple helm, or keep the base body color purple with black shoulderpads.

Nod toward the theory that Death Eagles are ES successors by having them in one of the Death Eagles' colours, or have them purple with white heads and pauldrons or black with purple heads and pauldrons (nodding toward the secund Death Eagles colours)

I finally have time, to start my Iron Warriors! Had them for ages in my PoS, but RG and SW always demanded something new...

I'm building atleast 1-2 hit/wounded for each squad, to show the "meatgrinding" nature of the Legion. =]

20221109_225226.jpg

20221109_225217.jpg

20221109_224808.jpg

20221110_223622.jpg

20221110_223635.jpg

20221110_232546.jpg

Edited by MichaelCarmine

@Gore Crow love that Moritat - great pose and character. Is it a head from the havocs? 

Meanwhile I made another shotgun trooper for my Blood Angels.

874C2512-2B26-4835-BDEC-5121A4D51B30.jpeg

Also, can the good agony uncles and aunts of B&C help with this. I tend to build by mixing kits and bits, scraping parts together as I go. I was running low on shoulder pads so I bought these Blood Angel shoulder pads from a popular online  auction site, assuming they were Mk IV. But looking at the trim, they don’t match; if anything they are closer to Mk VII. But they appear to be heresy? Have I bought knock-off by mistake or does anyone else out there have this issue?

C6194867-B6BD-445A-AED1-5DAA88067F39.jpeg

Edited by LameBeard
Didn’t want to double post

On 11/12/2022 at 2:41 PM, LameBeard said:

Also, can the good agony uncles and aunts of B&C help with this. I tend to build by mixing kits and bits, scraping parts together as I go. I was running low on shoulder pads so I bought these Blood Angel shoulder pads from a popular online  auction site, assuming they were Mk IV. But looking at the trim, they don’t match; if anything they are closer to Mk VII. But they appear to be heresy? Have I bought knock-off by mistake or does anyone else out there have this issue?

C6194867-B6BD-445A-AED1-5DAA88067F39.jpeg

For some unfathomable reason that's how ForgeWorld designed the Mk IV shoulder pads. You can see on their own images that the width of the rim doesn't match the other shoulder. It is very annoying. 

Edited by Sgt John Keel

On 11/12/2022 at 1:41 PM, LameBeard said:

@Gore Crow love that Moritat - great pose and character. Is it a head from the havocs? 

Thanks! The head is from the Black Templar Castellan model, I'm using his big chonker body for an Iron Father:

91844AE4-279F-4912-B1B1-1C2C3DFAB294.jpeg

Edited by Gore Crow

Built three MKVI marines yesterday. Was going to build ten but was feeling ill. I also primed them and basecoated them and I’m going with the boys in blue my favourite chapter since I got into the hobby. I may build another seven tomorrow evening if I’m feeling better and then might get on with priming and painting them. 

6E6179B8-75E1-4EB5-AFD0-2CFA50A7CEDB.jpeg

19 hours ago, Xenith said:

Seeing as Destroyers now have a chainsword in addition to their double pistols, it seems feasable to model them with BP+CS with another pistol in a holster - potentially allowing them to be also used as assault marines. Has anyone tried this yet, or is everyone sticking with twin pistols?

I'll definitely be doing this for some, but mainly because I want to give them Umbra pattern pistols (or whatever came with the MKV assault marines) and I've only got a few kicking around... Also want to have a chap prepping a rad grenade or some such.

Been on a bit of a scenery binge lately (which I will have to post in the terrain showcase) but I did finish my Iron Warriors Praetor:

received_678845020295468.thumb.jpeg.b11e7ef34db24c1427fc65189297b08c.jpeg

Just got some razorwire to add to the bases so that's still to go on. Just felt like they needed....something.

Edited by Corswain
Spelling