the BIG 9th edition room

I have to admit, with the Indomitus box being a large chunk of my crusade I've been going in circles on the rest of my army. As much as I enjoy kitbashing and project planning, I've hit a bit of a roadblock on my army until GW gives us more to work with.

Impulsors seem very likely to be good for delivering Bladeguard or Assault Intercessors, if you need something to work on until release.

Wargear load outs have been a big sticking point. I want to know how much everything runs before I go nuts sticking guns on everything.

Impulsors seem very likely to be good for delivering Bladeguard or Assault Intercessors, if you need something to work on until release.

Do you make use of the assault vehicle rule and disembark after moving, allowing your opponent a turn of shooting at the unit? Or leave them inside and disembark as normal the following turn to allow a charge, risking them focussing fire on the Impulsor, blowing it up and causing damage to the unit anyway?

I think I am more likely to use an Impulsor for Bladeguard than Assault Intercessors - just from the early glimpses of stats the latter need to be taken in larger numbers and are going to be less of a shooting magnet than power sword elites.

Often you dont get cover bonus because there is a flyer or anything could see a unit or reserves were put on a place you dont receive it as normal.

If the terrain is between you and the flyer then you still get the save. Light and dense cover saves still work if your inside the terrain as well. Sure, worst case scenario it can jump a ruin to shoot at you when you're behind it, but worst case is not the only case and building a list of greviances off of worst cases is a bit silly.

Additionally I wouldn't judge the way cover works in 9th on experiances playing in 8th. The terrain is too different to even pretend they compare.

On tournaments they often had its own changes on cover. they are very similar to the new cover rules. That change is very important for everyone who played the original version of 8th edition. 

Simple fact - I dont know anyone. ITC, ETC, TTM .... all tournament org. changed the ground floor of every building was closed - thats exactly what we have now. 

but in addition we have Tanks without -1 to hit ( i already played a game against Astra militarum with all new rules integrated into 8th editon ruleset - it was terrible and in 8th Ive won and with new rules I lost)

Reserves rule is good for melee units but even better for shooting units - remember that if there coming 6 Devastor Cents from the behind and shoot everything into death.

Do you make use of the assault vehicle rule and disembark after moving, allowing your opponent a turn of shooting at the unit? Or leave them inside and disembark as normal the following turn to allow a charge, risking them focussing fire on the Impulsor, blowing it up and causing damage to the unit anyway?

I think I am more likely to use an Impulsor for Bladeguard than Assault Intercessors - just from the early glimpses of stats the latter need to be taken in larger numbers and are going to be less of a shooting magnet than power sword elites.

dont forget how fast a impulsor is dead. Then you have to roll dice and each 1 is a dead model.!!!

-Devot Push Stratagem! and you dont need to wait that 1 round.

-Getting faster into cover with great threatrange

-Staying in the vehicle an fly 14" or more to the enemy so that next turn you get a charge

Edited by Medjugorje

its  guaranteed 25,5" ( up to 30,5") but the enemy fight first in this edition.

I am so hyped and want absolutely know which rules they have.

I fear something like reroll charges (it would make our CT absolutely useless and each other Space Marine Chapter could use them in a better way) AND remember: Its GW.

But it could be a minimal of 3 for each dice too, or the bodyguard rule what would give us an huge advantage to others.

As we already have some good rules to arrive combat I hope they have good special rules in combat.

That's right, Tau don't have to pay CP to Overwatch.

It's not just that they won't have to pay CP (which is already a big buff) - but they can overwatch with everyone. Most armies may have a unit or two that can automatically overwatch, but for everyone else you have to choose one unit per turn to use the stratagem on. Tau won't have to make this choice - huge buff to them.

That's right, Tau don't have to pay CP to Overwatch.

It's not just that they won't have to pay CP (which is already a big buff) - but they can overwatch with everyone. Most armies may have a unit or two that can automatically overwatch, but for everyone else you have to choose one unit per turn to use the stratagem on. Tau won't have to make this choice - huge buff to them.

Overwatch is also not limited to once per phase, so excluding units who support fired and can't shoot again, they can keep shooting as long as they're not engaged.

Overwatch is also not limited to once per phase, so excluding units who support fired and can't shoot again, they can keep shooting as long as they're not engaged.

Aha yes though if you're charging Tau you're probably going to make damn sure you actually make it. 

thats so stupid. Against Tau you are better in shooting but they will win because you die as long as you want to charge them. 

I hate this army - really HATE it. And a LRC is still dead before he arrive. I tried it against Tau last weak and it was one unit with 9 Crisis which were needed to destroy my LRC buffed with 4++ and 5+++. 

thats so stupid. Against Tau you are better in shooting but they will win because you die as long as you want to charge them. 

I hate this army - really HATE it. And a LRC is still dead before he arrive. I tried it against Tau last weak and it was one unit with 9 Crisis which were needed to destroy my LRC buffed with 4++ and 5+++. 

Don't forget we're looking at sweeping points changes and Tau could see a price hike just for not needing to pay the CP.

Don't forget we're looking at sweeping points changes and Tau could see a price hike just for not needing to pay the CP.

Its GW. There are a few things that never stop being significant doest matter which edition.

- Tau ignoring a bunch of core rules for free

- Chaos Space Marines are good as long as Obliterators are great

- Imperial Guard is OP as hell or bad trash

- Black Templars never being mid-tier Space Marines since 6th edition.

- Tyranids are good as long as Genestealers are good.

- Eldar are performing significant better then most other armies (except 5th edition when psychic power were bad because it was too easy to deny it

- If Eldar had a strong build - they used to have OP psychic powers

- Dark Eldar were good as long their Venoms were good.

- Necrons were OP or absolutely trash

EDIT: not to forget that competitive Chaos Space Marine lists never see a lot of real Space Marines. There is everything about Daemon prince, Oblis, Cultists ...

We will talk about these list in half of one year 

Edited by Medjugorje

Tau aren't ignoring any core rules. It's written in Overwatch's first sentence that "some units will be able to Overwatch".

Also Eldar are the dirty cheaters who ignore the rules all the time. Tau at least have to buy wargear to do it half as good as Eldar.

I'm just saying, don't judge 9th on how stuff plays in 8th because things are changing and it's not until we get the full rules in hand that we'll really be able to nail down how the game plays.

Speaking of rules:
bQGHKhF.jpg

Oh, and from the WHC article: 

The largest challenge for the T’au Empire in the new edition is the change to the Fly keyword. It no longer offers units the ability to Fall Back and shoot,

Edited by Fulkes

Overwatch stratagem is a core rule and Tau ignore it.

Cover in 6th and 7th editon was very important and Tau could easy ignore it with 2 markers.

The drone mechanic is ignoring a common core mechanic how you deal wounds from characters/units to another unit (bodyguard) - for example if Helbrecht get shot by a Lascannon and dmg 6 we can roll on 2+ for each wound for our company veterans. Tau drones convert each damage into 1 MW for a drone ( they still have 5+++) so you can take bolter fire but put Lascannons and other heavy weapon attacks on drones...

but what I just read yet is: FLY is nerfed too. So you cannot shoot after fall back. thats huge.

That makes them to a less aggressive army. At the moment each Tau army steps forward instead fear a melee because Drones + Fly keyword and overwatch.

Edited by Medjugorje

Overwatch is a core rule. The Strat just allows people who don't have direct access to that rule to have access that rule. Don't confuse the two.

Wargear load outs have been a big sticking point. I want to know how much everything runs before I go nuts sticking guns on everything.

With the Impulsor, it's pretty easy to just build all the options, and not glue them in. You don't even really need to magnetize.

Ideally you hop them behind LOS-blocking ruins, and then the next turn, the Bladeguard disembark and walk through the walls. But with a Shield Dome, it's not so bad if they can shoot it - firepower spent on a 97-point model with 11 wounds and a 4++ is firepower that could have hurt you more elsewhere, even if it ends up killing one or two guys when the tank goes down. And if you can get the tank in their face, it does a d6 MW explosion, which hurts.

The Devout Push trick is also an option, and Bladeguard should be quite good at it, since that 3++ will make them hard to displace. It's not fantastic in terms of killing power, but it can be great at gumming up the enemy lines.

Edited by Hymnblade

So Flyers have to be a lot more careful of just strafing an army - if they've got any jump packs, it will be stuffed.

If I had a flyer get hit in melee, I'd likely just retreat it off the board since I'm losing a round of shooting either way.

Overwatch is a core rule. The Strat just allows people who don't have direct access to that rule to have access that rule. Don't confuse the two.

okay, lets say Tau ignore Melee because its often irrelevant if nothing will arrive close combat and everything hard wont do anything because Tau drone mechanic.

In theory you can hurt them in close combat but in reality its often not possible without luck in your dice. Lets say you have 10x 5 man squads with powerfists against a Tau army. You will loose against them EVERY :cuss game even there is enough terrain you can do 50 percent charge without overcharge. drones and overwatch mechanic is absolutly broken.

Beating Tau means you kill them in shooting far better.

Edited by Marshal Mattias

I think people are assuming to much still. We son't know what the erratas will bring to the game for things like Saivor Protocols, of if they'll just points shield drones out of the meta.

Complaining about how bad something is based on the mechanica of 8th assumes too much about 9th.

I think people are assuming to much still. We son't know what the erratas will bring to the game for things like Saivor Protocols, of if they'll just points shield drones out of the meta.

Complaining about how bad something is based on the mechanica of 8th assumes too much about 9th.

The core mechanics are still the same. And the Overwatch rule is from Errata (you can see it in this picture). 

I know what you mean but there are so much details which slowly show us how everything will work.

And for now the Tau are better then before - we dont.

Edited by Medjugorje