the BIG 9th edition room

I think the change to Overwatch is a benefit to us even if Shock & Awe is a bit nerfed in the process, we can get several units in charge range and into combat reliably and that will strain the opponent's choice of who do you want to Overwatch? I think thats a plus. Also if you use Shock & Awe you can force your opponent to simply not use Overwatch at all, you throw your LRC into combat first and he wont Overwatch it, then throw the unit that was in the LRC and he wont be able to Overwatch that either and then you can throw a third unit that can be more expendable and you can make him use Overwatch for a unit that makes doing that a bad choice like Scouts or something.

I'm happy. The points changes were making me a little dubious, but this is huge. In fact, I wouldn't even mind if Overwatch were buffed to let flamers hit you as you came in with a change this significant, assuming that GW doesn't go overboard with exceptions to this rule. 

95 percent of 9th has been win for me thus far, and I'm hoping we keep that train going.

Just from an action economy standpoint, shooty units get to shoot on turn, on overwatch, participate in a melee they did not initiate, then just back off and repeat.

Melee units get to melee.

While the overwatch changes are only losing them 1 out of 6 potential extra shots some players I know are losing it.

Gunlines being forced to use strategy?

The absolute HORROR

Not sure how to post images but "Look out Sir" from the sororitas focus has just changed targeting characters.

It seems to imply characters can join units or there are otherwise units made up of characters. Screens will be much more important, and keeping them in heroic intervention range will be key. Which makes it easier for us to nosh pit them into melee.

Edited by SirJyo

Characters can't actually attach to units, they just need to be within 3" of a friendly unit to avoid getting shot, in addition to not being the closest target. I worry this will actually make it much harder to keep our characters alive, since it's easy for them to get separated while eg charging.

This does make characters much more fragile on both sides, but if you take a second look at it, there are some slightly unintuitive rulings that can be clarified:

If you have a unit of 3+ models (or a tank) within 3" behind your character, and a single scout way out in front between yourself and the enemy, they can not target your character. This is true even if that scout is hidden from sight behind a wall. However, if that scout dies, then you can be targetted, as your character is now the closest unit. Similarly, if the tank behind the character is destroyed, or the unit behind them is taken down to 2 or less models, they can be targetted as there is nothing within 3" that offers the rule, even if that scout is still closer. So it's an odd mix of keeping units around your character AND keeping at least one model closest to the enemy.

In practice, though there are a couple weird cases, it actually plays out much more realistically, as you always have the choice of either targetting the nearest models blocking you, or just shooting the things directly within 3" of the character to clear a killing hole.

Need to be within 3" of a unit of 3 or more models, or within 3" of a vehicle or monster , and not be closest. To avoid being targeted.

Also multi charges have to be successful against all chosen targets, or the charge fails and no one moves. No more green attempts and fighting again to kill more

Im also assuming that if a character is within 3" of a unit then Look Out Sir! can be used to divert wounds from the character, it might be easier to pick characters but they are also making them easier to protect if you give them some bodyguards. Now I may be wrong about this but I think the change allows for less wonky situations and more avenues for players to interact more with the system. Edited by redmapa

I'm still hoping that Bladeguard get the Company Veterans bodyguard rule. That would help a lot, especially since our 5+++ against MW allows us to negate the wounds after passing them off! Bladeguard plus Helbrecht would be a match made on Terra: Helbrecht makes them scary even against T8, Bladeguard keep Helbrecht alive.

I'm still hoping that Bladeguard get the Company Veterans bodyguard rule. That would help a lot, especially since our 5+++ against MW allows us to negate the wounds after passing them off! Bladeguard plus Helbrecht would be a match made on Terra: Helbrecht makes them scary even against T8, Bladeguard keep Helbrecht alive.

exactly what I think of. I played a "9th" edition game today. Everything we already know was used.

It works absolutly great and its a MSU game now. I think our Vigilus Detachment is a must have now. 

Invictor Warsuits and all kinds of Dreadknoughts will be the way I think.

And overwatch for Tau is still a thing. I lost the game because I ´ve made a mistake and one round overwatch against my Assault Cents decide the game. Against them you have to sacrifice units (that + the Missions makes MSU great).

I played Grimaldus, a Chaplain, Helbrecht, a Apo and a Castellan.  LRC, 2 Impulsors, 4x scouts, 2x Intercessors, 1x5 Assault Cents, Company Veterans, 2x attackbike, 1x5 assault squad, 2x3 Eliminators.

After I heard that the Primaris Bikes could be played to 9 models per unit I thought that they could be extremly well for us.

4++ and 5+++ in the first round is strong and 55 attacks in charge, and with the possibilty to have a Chaplain nearby it could be 64.

That could be really great. They have their own 3++ stratagem, and they'd be one of the few CC units that can start on the board to take Crusader Helm and/or litanies.

Like the Mandalorian said: Thats the way

Throw shock and awe into the bin

-1 to hit is huge. I'd take the strat just for that. No overwatch is a bonus and still useful, especially against armies with good overwatch abilities, shutting that down is still important. 

Throw shock and awe into the bin

-1 to hit is huge. I'd take the strat just for that. No overwatch is a bonus and still useful, especially against armies with good overwatch abilities, shutting that down is still important.

It seems I'm mistaken, tought that shock and awe nullified the overwatch. My bad.