Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II - Q3/Q4 2024

47 minutes ago, Kastor Krieg said:

and his weapon is chained to his arm, Templar style. I wonder if this hints at some repentance done under Templar guidance?

I see this returgitated a lot (all over on the internet where there is talk of space marine II), and since I feel it's mistaken, I wish to nip it in the bud.

His weapon is not, in fact, chained to his arm. It's clearly shown from the very first glimpses of him holding his weapon in the first trailer, that there's no chain from the weapon:

nochain.thumb.jpg.5c80d88a97177bf055585943071d5c18.jpg

nochain2.thumb.jpg.64da25e87389f093cc96ef2e01779154.jpg

Made even clearer here after the fight when he has holstered his chainsword and no longer even touches it with his hand:

nochain3.thumb.jpg.687734f0a66651fb1bcd01e9eb7fbc7c.jpg

Even takes his helm off, using BOTH hands:

nochain4.thumb.jpg.88e82eb8d09c9f98bd438a05596b42cb.jpg

Even in the shot your provided yourself, there's no chain from the weapon to his arm. The purpose of the chains are thus unknown, but there is a very clear Inquisition Icon hanging from them, possibly a sign of penance. Chained weapons are cool, but also wouldn't really fit with the gameplay of the first spacemarine either, would he stop and unchain and then rechain another weapon whenever you wanted to swap?

I'm sorry if this seems petty, but i've just seen that claim a few too many times (though perhaps not here) and I believe it is ill conceived.

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

Games take liberties with details like those all the time. Remember how magically Titus changed between a normal backpack and a jump pack in the first game? I'd say that the fact that the developers even bothered to put that classic BT design cue in his model is more significant.  Either that, or Titus somehow also became a friend of Khârn while he was away :sweat:

8 minutes ago, lansalt said:

I'd say that the fact that the developers even bothered to put that classic BT design cue in his model is more significant. 

I'm saying that it isn't even said cue at all. It lacks the actual clasp around his wrist too. Nothing says it is except fanwishing

Maybe he just bumped off the BTs and Inquisitor when he was rejoining the UM - I’m sure there’s no love lost there for Titus.  It would also be fitting for the in-fighting in the Imperium.

It’s more likely that it’s some kind of Inquisitorial marker though - he’s out on penance, he’s marked as an Inquisition operative, etc.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

14 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

I'm saying that it isn't even said cue at all. It lacks the actual clasp around his wrist too. Nothing says it is except fanwishing

Even official GW models and illustrations do not have many times the chains and clasp despite what the lore says:

OSWx6IwB74eEspNV.thumb.jpg.d84b869ea71572a792b6426a6db6184b.jpg

And it's not like chains around the forearms are common between space marine chapters, specially UM. It's a very specific and iconic thing of the BT and original WE.

13 minutes ago, lansalt said:

despite what the lore says:

You're showing me a model based on a piece of art that predates the chained weapon lore? And the lore has never said that every single Templar has chained his weapon in every single case. I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here? Here is a model without chains, based on artwork without chains? 

Your argument amounts to "oops they forgot" while your previous was "lol, they got it wrong, deliberatly"? I'm done with you.

41 minutes ago, lansalt said:

Even official GW models and illustrations do not have many times the chains and clasp despite what the lore says:

OSWx6IwB74eEspNV.thumb.jpg.d84b869ea71572a792b6426a6db6184b.jpg

And it's not like chains around the forearms are common between space marine chapters, specially UM. It's a very specific and iconic thing of the BT and original WE.

It’s never been in the lore that all Templars wear chains even in the recent codex lore update it’s states only brothers that have long running oath of vengeance or sworn are to a penitent task may don chains of service 

Edited by WARMASTER_

2 minutes ago, WARMASTER_ said:

It’s never been in the lore that all Templars wear chains even in the recent codex lore update it’s states only brothers that have long running oath of vengeance or sworn are to a penitent task may don chains of service 

That was more or less my point: That the chains are 100% an unique BT thing, and that they're not always done the same way or done at all. There's no other reason to explain their presence in Titus, specially given what we saw at the end of the first game. He's also the only marine wearing those in all promotional footage and images of SM2.

If anything, trying to explain their presence outside of Titus dealing with the BT requires making up previously unknow reasons for it.

1 minute ago, lansalt said:

If anything, trying to explain their presence outside of Titus dealing with the BT requires making up previously unknow reasons for it.

Easy.

He was under extreme suspicion of heresy by the inquisition at the end of the last game. Of being in league with the forces of chaos. He was taken away to be examined/interrogated.

Having not been able to be proven guilty, he has nonetheless fallen from grace as a result of the events of the first game. He's likely spent years, decades, may be even a century (he's shown to be hundreds of years older, by his service studs) in penance, just proving his loyalty. The chains holds the symbol of inquisition, and is likely a sign of said penance, that he is marked by them, in their employ.

Heck I even outlined the possibility that it's a sign of penance in my post above. Welcome to the Imperium, where Innocence proves nothing.

36 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

They also de-cyborged him and erased all signs of his horrific defeat to kyras. And made him flip around. So ya, I second the brainless art department take. 

It could also be old and rare gene tech. In the days of the Emperor, you could rebuild maimed Legionaries without bionics. Also he was rubiconed, so that will probably be the real reason. 

LOL it's a video game character.... you guys are talking like the world depends on whether he has a chain around his wrist or not :laugh: Video games are notoriously known for not getting things right and go with "Hey do this, it looks Cool" ... I applaud you all for your dedication to detail :biggrin:.

Not even played the first game...I gather it's on PC ?... 

Guys, how about waiting for it to release or even show some more substantial footage and content descriptions before you run your mouths? The team developing the game is just a bunch of nerds who are lead by bean counters. They don't deserve all your hate, they're artists, engineers and testers probably loving the setting and try their best with the tools available to them. Sure, the managment part might be spotty and is usually the reason of :cuss:ed up games, because their primary concern is the bottom line, not the actual devs. But until they actually :cuss: it up, maybe give them the benefit of the doubt? Companies have been known to be turned around given the right motivation. Just don't pre-order it, which is the worst thing to do for video games anyway, and thus have no reason to be disappointed when it's bad.

Also, why is the whole jumppack thing still considered a rumor? After the first trailer GW posted an article about how exactly these things will be in 40k proper around the time the game releases and how they gave Saber access to those designs.

Edited by gorg_graggel

1 hour ago, gorg_graggel said:

Also, why is the whole jumppack thing still considered a rumor? After the first trailer GW posted an article about how exactly these things will be in 40k proper around the time the game releases and how they gave Saber access to those designs.

That isn't what they said at all. The article you're misrepresenting stated that GW designed the Jump Pack specifically for inclusion in Space Marine II, with absolutely no mention made of future model releases.

The reason Jump Pack Primaris is a rumour is because people presume that GW actually designed it for a future model release, and the bit about it being designed just for the game is a barefaced lie to cover for the fact that GW dislikes revealing new minis too far ahead of time.

43 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

That isn't what they said at all. The article you're misrepresenting stated that GW designed the Jump Pack specifically for inclusion in Space Marine II, with absolutely no mention made of future model releases.

The reason Jump Pack Primaris is a rumour is because people presume that GW actually designed it for a future model release, and the bit about it being designed just for the game is a barefaced lie to cover for the fact that GW dislikes revealing new minis too far ahead of time.

Not sure why you chose to phrase that so aggressively , but I won't indulge you by furthering that part...

It is not a barefaced lie, they might be omitting some part of the full truth, because of the reason you stated or some other we're unaware of. And given their record, mentioning that the Warhammer Design Studio has designed the thing on their own marketing outlet is as close to a confirmation from the horses mouth as it can get, barring a literal expression of final intent. They usually never mention and even show new designs done by themselves that openly unless it has been leaked and they're doing damage control or if they actually fully announce it.

Yes, I'm aware that strictly speaking it is still interpretation, because they did not literally state that they will be on the tabletop, but come on. We have all seen actual rumors that seem to be taken more seriously than this slightly veiled info which is straight from them.

This is GW trying to be more open without actually pulling their head out of the 90s marketing strategies' butt they keep it in. Give the internal forces who try to move the dinosaur some credit. ;)

1 hour ago, Halandaar said:

Or GW doing what they normally do and using development costs covered by the game makers to create something they use in their own models. They’ve done that ever since space hulk was used to develop the terminator line and some of the original SM game 

So it’s misleading maybe but not exactly a lie. 

28 minutes ago, gorg_graggel said:

They usually never mention and even show new designs done by themselves that openly unless it has been leaked and they're doing damage control or if they actually fully announce it.

This is GW trying to be more open without actually pulling their head out of the 90s marketing strategies' butt they keep it in. Give the internal forces who try to move the dinosaur some credit. ;)

Apologies, but this just isn't correct. They have been showing digital renders from upcoming releases for a few years now, going back to the Sisters of Battle revamp, and even recently with the World Eaters and Cities of Sigmar stuff.

On top of that, if they wanted to be "open" about the fact this asset was actually designed for upcoming miniatures, there is nothing at all stopping them. There is even precedent; when they outlined the design work the GW studio did for Cathay in Total War Warhammer III, they explicitly labelled the concept art provided to Creative Assembly as having been done for The Old World tabletop game.

The idea that the existence of a GW-designed Primaris Jump Pack in Space Marine II indicates Primaris Jump pack models coming in the future may yet turn out to be true. But it remains a rumour based on people attempting to read between the lines, it's certainly not some sort of conspiratorial soft-leak by GW community writers who have previously been much more explicit in revealing future content.

I'm not talking conspiracies. Just normal inter-departmental interaction. Would be weird if everyone in the company had the same ideas of how to conduct business.

And GW's random behavior has very often had people surprised, because it did not line up with precedent.

I'm counting the Sisters etc. reveals among the stuff they fully announce.

I'd be VERY surprised if an iconic unit like assault marines get's shown off like this and then nothing happens in terms of models.

On 12/13/2022 at 11:38 AM, Halandaar said:

As I recall, though i could be mistaken,  a cardboard cut out board leaked just before the last warhammer day in the UK , showed a primaris with jet pack...though nothing else came of it, and it wasnt tied in anyway to the game.

3 minutes ago, beefeb said:

As I recall, though i could be mistaken,  a cardboard cut out board leaked just before the last warhammer day in the UK , showed a primaris with jet pack...though nothing else came of it, and it wasnt tied in anyway to the game.

I believe that turned out to have just been how the storage box for the backpack was labelled (since it does look like a jetpack to a casual observer).