Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II - Q3/Q4 2024

the jump pack stuff looks cool, actually the trailer generally loooked good. Gameplay looks very similar to original, just more enemies, which is probably all it needs to be. Hopefully the story is at least decent and the final boss isnt a QTE

24 minutes ago, DesuVult said:

There seemed to be a lot of enemies but the enemies were mostly unreactive and at times looked kinda floaty.  I know it is early footage but it actually reduced my interest.

It is alpha footage and to be fair game often have to lock out the surrounding action when a player performs some kind of interaction, such as if it was a finisher animation.

20 hours ago, Dried said:

What do you mean ?

Saber have a habit of quietly outsourcing work to their St Petersburg team and never mentioning it - who then proceed to botch everything they touch. A great example of this was when they were hired to deliver an error tracker for the Master Chief Collection back in 2012/13 prior to release, which simply... didn't work. 343i and Microsoft had to turn around and find another studio to pick up on that mess. Add to that World War Z (another recent venture) is incredibly middling, and by all reports Saber's just had to pull staff from most of their development teams to sort out the mess that is Aspyr's KOTOR Remake and it doesn't look great.

They aren't a particularly great studio at the end of the day, and I just plain wouldn't trust a company that's quite happy to continue doing business in Russia either. 

My apport to the Saber thing.
- They also have Quake Champions for years in beta (abbandon) status, and only realese the 1.0  version after 5 years while people play the beta game, spending money on the battle pass. They have this game with little to no new content from months, only weapon skins (each one less inspired than the previus one, imo), a map each 3 to 6 months, correct 3 bugs and nerf some champions becouse random reasons. 
-Also Tim Willits the CEO of Saber Interactive likes to enhace his figure everytime he can, "I invented this i invented that", and lie with things like "Doomguy its inspired in the Wh40k Space marines", totally untrue. Aliens and Evil Dead its the good answer here.
Now my thoughts on the video.
-Looking the trailer and see Alpha footage, dont give me good vives if Saber is making this game, and thinking about the game we will get, will be toned down: less enemies, less grafics. 
-Probably its becouse this is a trailer, and make your character looks cool and badass its the rule, but dont see the tiranids move so much, and lot of them awaiting to be punched, its hilarius.
My apologise for my rant, but i can´t be happy with what i have seen.

Edited by Sargeant Centurion

I don't get why 40k games keep releasing Collector's Editions with pre-painted resin figurines. Don't they get the fact that a sizeable portion (probably a majority) of those who would purchase the CE would like to paint the figure themselves? Or if they don't already paint miniatures, it would be a good way to get them involved in GW's main line of production, i.e.- the models?

Having a poor track record is a fine reason to not trust a company.

However, this:

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I just plain wouldn't trust a company that's quite happy to continue doing business in Russia either.

Not relevant, unless Saber is helping the Russian government develop games that are so bad they can be used as weapons. Otherwise this kind of thing is probably best kept to social media and not B&C yeah?

Personally, I hope this game has the same mod support as Space Marine 1. Titus needs a helmet!

After a year I expected more, or at least an actual gameplay trailer. Unfortunately it's not far off the last trailer, which is a lot of swinging at Tyranid swarms intercut with shots of Titus slowly walking as a scripted EXPLLOSSIIOONN occurs ahead of them. Graphically it looks pretty, but nothing that couldn't be a trailer mockup that will be scaled back come the actual launch.

1 hour ago, phandaal said:

Not relevant, unless Saber is helping the Russian government develop games that are so bad they can be used as weapons. Otherwise this kind of thing is probably best kept to social media and not B&C yeah?

I disagree, economic sanctions aren't about supply of weapons. So it is relevant to my view of Saber.

But I agree it's not a convo for B&C.

2 hours ago, Sargeant Centurion said:

My apport to the Saber thing.
- They also have Quake Champions for years in beta (abbandon) status, and only realese the 1.0  version after 5 years while people play the beta game, spending money on the battle pass. They have this game with little to no new content from months, only weapon skins (each one less inspired than the previus one, imo), a map each 3 to 6 months, correct 3 bugs and nerf some champions becouse random reasons. 
-Also Tim Willits the CEO of Saber Interactive likes to enhace his figure everytime he can, "I invented this i invented that", and lie with things like "Doomguy its inspired in the Wh40k Space marines", totally untrue. Aliens and Evil Dead its the good answer here.
Now my thoughts on the video.
-Looking the trailer and see Alpha footage, dont give me good vives if Saber is making this game, and thinking about the game we will get, will be toned down: less enemies, less grafics. 
-Probably its becouse this is a trailer, and make your character looks cool and badass its the rule, but dont see the tiranids move so much, and lot of them awaiting to be punched, its hilarius.
My apologise for my rant, but i can´t be happy with what i have seen.

They are also working on 9 projects at once, which is not a good sign. I kind of wish GW approached a Japanese devs like Team Ninja or Platinum games for Space Marine 2. 

I loved the first part and I want to love the second, specially since the CGI trailer was amazing, but there are a few things that bother me about this game:

• No Mark Strong. He defined Titus and he's still doing voice acting for videogames despite his bigger roles in TV and movies, so even if he was more expensive than the new guy it's still a huge miss to cheap out in the literal protagonist of the game.
  • Titus few lines in the new trailer doesn't sound like Titus at all, not just because of the new voice, but because the writing makes him speak like a prototypical meathead space marine insteal of the level headed UM of the first game.
  • Being demoted and no longer a captain. Come on, even Ventris got his rank back after a much, much worse "crime" and "punishment".
  • Tyranids are just worse enemies than orks in videogame terms. Orks can be a melee horde but are also more entertaining with their banter and crazy machines. Nids are just a faceless force of nature with no character. That's fine in a book or in the tabletop where the authors and players give them context and a narrative, but it doesn't work the same way in other media. See the difference between Space Hulk as a board game and the Space Hulk videogames that end up being repetitive and stale.

16 minutes ago, lansalt said:

Being demoted and no longer a captain.

Captain Primaris Lieutenant Titus has ascended to the highest form of life in the galaxy!

Maybe during the game he will get a further promotion and become a Primaris Captain Primaris Lieutenant, with super duper durasteel cables wrapped around his muscles. Also he will be like two heads taller than a Primaris Space Marine (these guys are old news).