Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II - Q3/Q4 2024

So no one else concerned with the move towards Primaris, we'll see a bit of a mismatch in multiplayer games? Firstborn Chaos Marines vs opponents head and shoulders above them?

Or GW ignores their own lore and makes them all the same size?

I guess the mass market they're going for (not us clearly) wouldn't notice...

So no one else concerned with the move towards Primaris, we'll see a bit of a mismatch in multiplayer games? Firstborn Chaos Marines vs opponents head and shoulders above them?

As you say, the majority of people wouldnt know/care if scales are off though I would be surprised if they were. 

Trailer is up on Warcom

Do we even know if there is going to be Chaos SM in MP? As far as I know we dont have any details released publicly on what form MP will take so there might be no issue at all.

No. I couldn’t care less about multiplayer

As with the first game, it's very specifically not cannon or rather:

Q: Is the game canon to the Warhammer 40,000 lore?
A: Like the original Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, this sequel is a fully licensed and Games Workshop approved video game that is 100% faithful to the universe of Warhammer 40,000.

The size is not a problem - a balanced melee class for Primaris is more concerning, 'cause Assault Intercessors are not gonna cut it.

Not just size either, Chaos Bolters vs Primaris Bolters... lots of holes and gaps in multiplayer that'll occur here.

The more I think about it, the more likely this'll be "Primaris skin with Firstborn weapons". Jump Packs, meltas, Devastator weapons etc.

Otherwise we're giving Chaos Marines in Multiplayer Primaris weapons.

A: Like the original Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, this sequel is a fully licensed and Games Workshop approved video game that is 100% faithful to the universe of Warhammer 40,000.

Um, that quote says it is canon...

No. I couldn’t care less about multiplayer

Yes but many people do. The numbers who played it first time round attest to that.

Fandom beats the drum for 10 years for a sequel, sequel is finally revealed, fandom immediately complains it's not the right kind of Space Marine.

Yep, that checks out.

Have I been beating any drum saying let's bring it back? Nope.

It's generous you equate me as the representative of the fandom, but unfortunately I am just a single fan who played it first time round and noticed a glaring discrepancy in multiplayer.

Awesome news!

It's the campaign that's most important for me in any video game and there's no reason to think these guys won't do just as good a job as they did on the first one.

As for any worries about multiplayer, the size difference between Primaris and regular marines is quite stark in terms of the models but in the lore it's not meant to be as noticeable, certainly not the the degree it would look really weird against warp infused Chaos Marines. As for the weapons? Fun as it was, let's not pretend the first game's multiplayer was a showcase of how to balance and run a multiplayer game. There's plenty of levers they can pull with the weapons to balance them, or even just ignore the differences between a Primaris bolter and a regular one. I'd be more concerned that the Chaos Marines will only have half as many hit points as the loyalist ones :wink:

Now, if only GW made a Primaris Lieutenant model of some kind!

Not just size either, Chaos Bolters vs Primaris Bolters... lots of holes and gaps in multiplayer that'll occur here.

The more I think about it, the more likely this'll be "Primaris skin with Firstborn weapons". Jump Packs, meltas, Devastator weapons etc.

Otherwise we're giving Chaos Marines in Multiplayer Primaris weapons.

Um, that quote says it is canon...

Faithful to the setting/universe isn't the same as Canon, much like the first game I don't think this will be canon. The first game wasn't canon as Titus would have been 2nd company captain at the same time as Cato Sicarius. It's more like Marvel's "What If" type situation

They could definitely retcon things and change the timeline up a bit to make it canon and I'm excited to see where they take the story. Not having to be 100% lore accurate is a nice design space for them as they can bend the rules a tad for a better gampleay experience overall

For anyone wondering, this is also confirmed for PS5. I'm not sure if that particular trailer shows that, but there is another one on YouTube showing all the systems it will be available on.

Is anyone else oddly excited about the fact that they have embraced Primaris and the most recent timeline? Captain Titus has crosses the Rubicon.

Sometimes I just want to scream, who cares about "canon" (or rather, continuity, as the common parlance of that term actually means)! Like who actually cares about it?

Is your army 'in continuity' when you feature a Wolf Lord of the Blackmanes who isn't Ragnar, or a Primaris captain of X company of the ultramarines who isn't a 'canonical' figure? Or when Roboute fights Mortarion in a place that isn't Iax or another 'canonical' location? 

No, in none of these, is the army "in continuity" or "canonical". But that doesn't matter. 

So, it doesn't matter for the video game either, which is you playing in a ludic box just as much as your army on the tabletop - an intepretation of the conventions of the setting made by fans just like you, spending hundred or thousands of hours as a team making their own (digital) armies and models.

Just enjoy this for what it is, not a codex entry, nor a (bizarrely unrealistic) chapter hierarchy chart, but a story -  a story of digital models doing heroic deeds that will make you feel good - or if it is self-aware about these monstrous antiheroes, bad and good.

Edited by Petitioner's City

It is hopeful, but perhaps the game will open with how Titus returned to the Ultramarines. A prologue of some kind. Or maybe there will be flashbacks to his time with the Inquisition. 

I hope they don't fully ignore the end of the first game, but give some proper story to wrap it up or continue that storyline in some form.

Captain Titus could be a canon character. He may have been 2nd company Captain prior to Sicarius, and his records expunged due to Inquisition involvement.

Now, years later, he is proven a loyal servant of the Emperor, and returns to the Ultramarines. His records could show service in the Deathwatch, and he re-enters the chapter with the rank of Lieutenant under Sicarius.

Honestly it's so easy to retcon this, or to add details that can make these games 100% Canon. No need to argue the subject. I'm on board with the canonical train.

Edited by Orange Knight

Captain Titus could be a Canon character. He may have been 2nd company Captain prior to Sicarius, and his records expunged due to Inquisition involvement.

Now, years later, he is proven a loyal servant of the Emperor, and returns to the Ultramarines. His records could show service in the Deathwatch, and he re-enters the chapter with the rank of Lieutenant under Sicarius.

Honestly it's so easy to retcon this, or to add details that can make these games 100% Canon. No need to argue the subject. I'm on board with the canonical train.

But it just doesn't matter, or need to matter :) like, it doesn't take away from whether the game is good or not; just as it doesn't take away from your own miniature collection that they are "non-canonical" :)