Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II - Q3/Q4 2024

Not sure if I'm more hyped for the return of Titus or the possibility of finally getting a proper Assault Squad for the Primaris.

Its always been perverse to me that for all tbe bizarre units they made for the Primaris, they somehow neglected the undying glory of 'jetpack + chainsaw'.

Honestly potentially getting real honest to Emperor jump packs for my assault intercessors might just excite me as much as this game does.

It's a good time to be into the hobby lately for Reinhard.

Considering GW's model design team built the model for the jump pack Titus will use in SM 2, that is most definitely in the works.

Now im not terribly up and up on blue peacock marine lore, but wasnt Sicarius missing for a while? We had another captain of the second company, sporting gravis armor in dark imperium... supposedly the same individual later in phobos in shadowspear.

Im just saying if GW themselves can throw in temporary others as captain of the second, it really doesnt strike me as odd or even necessitating a 'what if' that Titus held the title for a while in SM 1.

Sure an explanation would me most welcome, but its hardly a throw your hands in the air yelling thats it im out, this is non-canon'-moment.

calling ultramarines peacocks aye? *looks at black templars* ya.....seems the pot is calling the kettle black :P

Well that captain i believe is MIA and or prob dead. so maybe he was captain of the second and now someone else is captain and thats why titus when he returned became an LT after our lord and saviour of the imperium came back and rewrote the codex.

Now im not terribly up and up on blue peacock marine lore, but wasnt Sicarius missing for a while? We had another captain of the second company, sporting gravis armor in dark imperium... supposedly the same individual later in phobos in shadowspear.

Im just saying if GW themselves can throw in temporary others as captain of the second, it really doesnt strike me as odd or even necessitating a 'what if' that Titus held the title for a while in SM 1.

Sure an explanation would me most welcome, but its hardly a throw your hands in the air yelling thats it im out, this is non-canon'-moment.

calling ultramarines peacocks aye? *looks at black templars* ya.....seems the pot is calling the kettle black :tongue.:

Well that captain i believe is MIA and or prob dead. so maybe he was captain of the second and now someone else is captain and thats why titus when he returned became an LT after our lord and saviour of the imperium came back and rewrote the codex.

Captain Cato Sicarius in the video. If you look closely, you can see him boosting into orbit using nothing but a jump pack to kill the Tyranid Norn Queen and then defeat the Hive Mind itself in a battle of wills.

Well that was a nice little surprise last night, even just started a new play through of Space Marine a few weeks ago with the release of the Anniversary Edition. Game play looks nice and frenetic, graphics are suitably nex-gen. Nice thing about being on PC, the mods to de-rubicon the game and use some Classic style armor shouldn't be far behind, not to mention the mods to repaint ole Titus to rep some different chapters. Now if only someone would do a Armored Core style dreadnought game, or an Ace Combat style Imperial Navy flyers game to really flesh out the gaming universe.

One thing i wonder is what kind of budget this is going to get. Space Marine 1 was a triple-A budget of its time (360, PS3 era). Saber doesn't exactly have that pedigree when you page through their back catalogue.

Edited by Wispy

After seeing the trailer I want two things:

A good single player campaign (not a fan of MP).

A new unit of Primaris Assault Marines with those jump packs to add to my Ultramarines.

It does look promising so far. As mentioned previously, I’d love a remaster of the first game as an accompanying release.

One thing i wonder is what kind of budget this is going to get. Space Marine 1 was a triple-A budget of its time (360, PS3 era). Saber doesn't exactly have that pedigree when you page through their back catalogue.

I have no idea how game financing works and obviously you'll know better than me, but is it possible to borrow against projected future sales, from the publisher or similar? It feels like with a successful previous game as a basis and a fanbase that has been almost begging for this game to come out this seems like a less risky proposition than most other GW-IP games are.

I have no idea how game financing works and obviously you'll know better than me, but is it possible to borrow against projected future sales, from the publisher or similar? It feels like with a successful previous game as a basis and a fanbase that has been almost begging for this game to come out this seems like a less risky proposition than most other GW-IP games are.

Funding for a video game could typically be secured by sweet talking investors (publisher) who expects return on investment (the game doing well, generating sales). The previous game's success, the die hardness of the fanbase etc, would likely be things that'd be included in a sales pitch to investors to convince them to throw money at a project.

In this case we also have GW to contend with, which might normally not mean much (there's been plenty of shovel wear over the past decade where it seems clear they only collected their IP license fee and let the game makers fend for themselves to a large degree)

This feels different however. I'm willing to bet this game has more backing from GW behind it. It's featuring Primaris front and center for one, which I think they'd push for in a game they're backing themselves. It's a follow up to a big game. The intro cinematic is very nicely made and reminds you of the trailer 9th edition to very large degree (to the point where I wonder if they used some of the same animators for it?? Going to far?). They're also giving the studio access to Warhammer design studio designs that were only just revealed to the world through this game (The jump pack)

This aint your average shovel ware game being pitched here.

At the risk of sounding a bit terse, but classic marines are secured permanently through Horus Heresy even if they were wiped from modern 40k completely, tomorrow. Noone's forgetting that massive beakie box, right? We don't need this discussion again.

Back to SM2; I wonder if we'll have just the tyranids to contend with this time around. While Tyranids have a massive amount of bioforms to make plenty of enemy variety, they'd all read as big alien monsters that spit acid or other alien goo or bite with claws or claws swords. Including something like genestealer cultists (so you have enemies firing lasers etc at you) would offset this, but I want as many different xenos to purge as possible.

What a pleasant surprise!

It will be interesting to see if the story will pickup from the first game since Titus has been demoted as far as I can tell. For my personal canon Titus joined the Deathwatch to repent, It would have been cool if that would be part of his story. 

Oh and I hope Leandros got devoured by nurglings.

It's not really borrowing, the publisher funds the developer to make the game and reaps the lion share from the sales. I suspect its milestone payments (perhaps monthly?), given past experience with this particular publisher.

All of it is a bet, y'know. That is a sequel probably justifies a larger budget.

Edited by Wispy

At the risk of sounding a bit terse, but classic marines are secured permanently through Horus Heresy even if they were wiped from modern 40k completely, tomorrow. Noone's forgetting that massive beakie box, right? We don't need this discussion again.

Back to SM2; I wonder if we'll have just the tyranids to contend with this time around. While Tyranids have a massive amount of bioforms to make plenty of enemy variety, they'd all read as big alien monsters that spit acid or other alien goo or bite with claws or claws swords. Including something like genestealer cultists (so you have enemies firing lasers etc at you) would offset this, but I want as many different xenos to purge as possible.

Agreed firstborn aren't going anywhere. 

As far as more xenos in game, I think it depends on if they're doing multiplayer or not. I think GSC will be involved, but if they're doing chaos in the multiplayer than I think they would be the secondary enemy. I was hoping for a deathwatch game because it would allow for a lot of chapters, and more xenos races. I'll take what I can get though.

Not to sound pendantic but we are seeing Primaris able to fill about every role now but terminators. The Marines in the HH3 picture are rescaled for true size so don’t really count. As more new players come into the fold I reckon they will want to buy Primaris Marines. Edited by Black Blow Fly

Not to sound pendantic but we are seeing Primaris able to fill about every role now but terminators. The Marines in the HH3 picture are rescaled for true size so don’t really count. As more new players come into the fold I reckon they will want to buy Primaris Marines.

I can’t wait till they do the new Primaris version of Terminator Armor.

Based on the naming convention would they be Dominantors?

I'm honestly surprised Space Marine 1 is such a cult hit. Seems likey yesterday that Danny Bilson stood in front of the entire studio and blamed us all for sucking after cancelling the sequel.

This was after diverting a bunch of the budget to Homefront, which nobody gives a crap about today. Bilson was out a job and THQ folded in bankruptcy a year or so later.

Edit: haha, this announcement has dredged up so many mixed feelings i thought were buried. Don't mind me.

Edited by Wispy