Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II - Q3/Q4 2024

Joe

It's actually relevant to the topic - the closeness of this game to the IP is very relevant.

Who cares about closeness to IP and theme? Yes no one that's why no one wanted a Space Marine game. I'm sorry that's a flawed argument.

And GW, releasing a major title video game for a major part of their product should be getting it right.

Oh boy, love the trailer and absolutely love that we are finally getting a sequel! Such great news. The whole canon thing and such never bothered me with the first one, so I don't care all that much for the 2nd one in that regard either. As long as it's fun, the story feels like 40k and it's at least as good as part 1, I'm happy.

Shame though, that I wasn't planning on buying a PS5 anytime soon. I have such a huge backlog of titles on my 4, that there's just no need to buy the 5.

Well between this and Horizon Forbidden West looks like I am going to have suck up my hatred of how ugly and huge the PS5 is to get one...

Can't wait for this! Fingers crossed they get the feel right like SM1.

So no one else concerned with the move towards Primaris, we'll see a bit of a mismatch in multiplayer games? Firstborn Chaos Marines vs opponents head and shoulders above them?

Or GW ignores their own lore and makes them all the same size?

I guess the mass market they're going for (not us clearly) wouldn't notice...

Or you know classic marines being midgets is only a model thing, so there wont be too much of a difference between the two

@idaho go and read the Emperor's Legion, where the CSM that Valerian is hunting in his blood game matches him in size Nd strength.

Accurate to the lore is very, very different to accurate to the table. In the lore, the warp and binding daemons can make up for anything. On the table, only a new codex can cut it

Now im not terribly up and up on blue peacock marine lore, but wasnt Sicarius missing for a while? We had another captain of the second company, sporting gravis armor in dark imperium... supposedly the same individual later in phobos in shadowspear.

Im just saying if GW themselves can throw in temporary others as captain of the second, it really doesnt strike me as odd or even necessitating a 'what if' that Titus held the title for a while in SM 1.

Sure an explanation would me most welcome, but its hardly a throw your hands in the air yelling thats it im out, this is non-canon'-moment.

Edited by Reinhard

Sure, Marine size is one thing, but what about weapons? Bolters vs bolt rifles, Plasma incinerators vs plasma guns, melta rifles vs melta guns...

There's lots of discrepancies here and the more we get the more jarring it becomes.

(I'm part way through The Emperor's Legion :) )

Now im not terribly up and up on blue peacock marine lore, but wasnt Sicarius missing for a while? We had another captain of the second company, sporting gravis armor in dark imperium... supposedly the same individual later in phobos in shadowspear.

Im just saying if GW themselves can throw in temporary others as captain of the second, it really doesnt strike me as odd or even necessitating .a 'what if' that Titus held the title for a while in SM 1

I just learned that at least in the Ultramarines, there are Captains who don't command companies.

Im just saying if GW themselves can throw in temporary others as captain of the second, it really doesnt strike me as odd or even necessitating .a 'what if' that Titus held the title for a while in SM 1

Good points... what if Marines who get temporarily stranded in years Warp are replaced immediately? Operational capacity is important yet they can go missing for years at a time. Makes sense if there are duplicate companies if I'm honest!

As for Sicarius, I believe he was reinstated after a time as equerry to Guilliman. But I'm not sure right now as keeping up ain't easy.

Looks like I'll have to buy a PS5, which means perhaps putting my Custodes Forge World purchases back...

...or it means more debt! :smile.:

I was an X Box player for the first one but I think I'm going PC for this one.  You should join us, we could get a B&C Discord server for teaming up on multiplayer.

Sure, Marine size is one thing, but what about weapons? Bolters vs bolt rifles, Plasma incinerators vs plasma guns, melta rifles vs melta guns...

There's lots of discrepancies here and the more we get the more jarring it becomes.

(I'm part way through The Emperor's Legion :smile.: )

I mean...in video game terms those are just skins.  Yes, a bolt rifle is bigger than a regular boltgun but in multiplayer the stats will be the same.  They'll just warp-ify the bolter to make it bigger.

Don't get me wrong, I'm buying this game. I just love the immersion even in Multiplayer.

(I remember once having 4 Ultramarines team mates in one game. Felt amazing to be a Combat squad)

@ Iron Father Ferrum: I should totally get a PC. For the price of a PS5 I could very well get a gaming PC for a bit more...

Edited by Captain Idaho

What does it really matter if he’s primaris or little marine? At the end of the day the only difference in the game is how is armor looks. Very much not a big deal, and silly to complain about, as if they would be anything but the highest selling iteration of marines in GW history.

Ishagu? Is that you?

Enough to know this exists. Now to forget about it and if ever I one day have enough cash to buy one of these new xbox consoles, my memory may jog and I'll grab this.

Until that day, I shall lock this all away in the cave of "lalala" where there is no hype and no expectation. Only what I feel when I eventually have it in my hands.

It's actually relevant to the topic - the closeness of this game to the IP is very relevant.

Who cares about closeness to IP and theme? Yes no one that's why no one wanted a Space Marine game. I'm sorry that's a flawed argument.

And GW, releasing a major title video game for a major part of their product should be getting it right.

This isn't what I'm saying, I'm saying it doesn't matter if Titus is "canonical" because that's different from "closeness to the IP". Canonicity is about continuity - whereas the IP isn't about that. You only need to read someone like ADB to know that, who of course had many conversations with GW's IP overlord, Alan Merritt, and is of course super close to one of its licencing and media development managers, John French, who of course also happens to be one of the main creatives in creating "canon" or "continuity" for GW as a whole.

Just remember this:

I’m being dead serious, here. Yes, it can be considered a mark of IP laziness, and yes, I’m not blind to the fact that 20-30 years ago, a lot of 40K’s core concepts were referential half-jokes thrown around by amateur game designers, rather than the underpinnings of a more classic sci-fi setting “envisioned” by ivory tower artistes. But the loose framework has allowed three decades of fresh canon to flood in, filling in the details without necessarily feeling too constrained by what came before. Even as someone who fiercely cleaves to canon at every opportunity, I’m constantly surprised by the sheer amount of white space left open to explore and set up shop.

Like honestly, this marine is using the wrong gun, or that marine is taller than he should be, is so pedantic and not something even GW on its official channels seems to care about (given the amount of "primarisised" Sanguinary Guard or jump pack marines or other similar oldmarine models we see on WHC or on the feeds of key studio staff members' own Twitter and instagram). 

kaW1MtG3jnLVB9EA.jpg

zmnmbRWoDglf1W9D.jpg

qIoPHyItWmwoIZO5.jpg

The rules are one thing, the rudimentary lore of a codex one thing, the various works of (often non-complimentary) novels and short stories another, the (impossible to imagine) reality of lived life in these fictional settings one thing, and what you can imagine another. It can't all mesh, and an adaptation isn't beholden to its source text - or in this case - its contradictory source texts.

In trying to mesh multiple source texts that don't fit together, in some ways "canon" is a good word - although one whose hermeneutic is rarely interpreted by fans who use it so liberally (not even why, due to Conan Doyle, we use the term, rather than Lucasfilm).

But after all, canon comes ultimately from the idea of scriptural canon, which as a series of historical works by different authors in different cultural moments producing material in different media (oral traditions, legal texts, religious rites, poetry, prophecy and historical accounts, among others) doesn't fit together. Canon doesn't actually mean "continuity", it really just means body of work. It's not necessarily meant to mean closeness to a singular part of it, but rather encompassing a very broad body of possibility :smile.:

Titus is back, hell yeah.  Primaris Titus, in 2nd co colours....Sicarius isnt getting his company back!  Cant wait for this....a sequel to just about the best space marine game ever, thankyou very much.

If we must talk about continuity/canon, he got side-promoted to captain of the Vitrix Guard :smile.:

Edited by Petitioner's City

Let's address the massive pink elephant in the room..

That primaris marine who took his helmet off.. IS THAT CAPTAIN TITUS??!

Primaris Lieutenant Titus. He has ascended to the ultimate form of life in the 40k universe.

How dod I just become aware of this??  where have I been!. 

That was one sweet opening trailer, that landing. 10/10. Going to be playing it on PC this time around, going to need to take the living room monitor through and hook it to the pc. Sorry kids, daddy gotta play!

For me it was "His Angels..." at the end. Reminds me of the Guardsman short. When the Angels of Vengeance sergeant finishes the Guardsman's litany... chef's kiss.

Edited by phandaal