[BC] A Vulgar Display of Power: OOC/Discussion Thread

Necronaut

Marvelous! Can't wait for the 8th!

(I've been properly bored for the last few weeks, so much so that, just for :cuss: and giggles, I made a copy of Reynard's DH sheet and worked up a DH:Ascension version, spending around 10k XP to bring him up to the starting point! :laugh:)

On 8/25/2023 at 12:59 PM, Lysimachus said:

Marvelous! Can't wait for the 8th!

(I've been properly bored for the last few weeks, so much so that, just for :cuss: and giggles, I made a copy of Reynard's DH sheet and worked up a DH:Ascension version, spending around 10k XP to bring him up to the starting point! :laugh:)

So what sort of trouble has he gotten into to get there?

As the game is hopefully starting up soon I took a bit of time to expand on Sakal’s background a little more.

https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/373663-bc-a-vulgar-display-of-power-data-character-thread/?do=findComment&comment=5809407

We still good for Friday?

Off topic: 

Spoiler
On 8/28/2023 at 5:08 PM, Trokair said:

So what sort of trouble has he gotten into to get there?

Oh, y'know, usual stuff. I figure he and Grace went off looking for De Grassi in order to give Dreyfuss' cure to Magda Aldario, and had some adventures on the way.

Then, tying in to the Desperado transition package, I thought he might go after his grandfather, the Planetary Governor of Reynard's birthworld Cal Ferena. I figure after lots of sneaking and fighting, he just about manages it, deposes his grandad and is about to take his place on the throne... when Inquisitrix Viceroy and Vigilance turn up and kidnap/cart him off for the reunion of the Damocles Cell and a new mission... :facepalm::laugh:

Edited by Lysimachus

Barring @Xin Ceithan's character sheet and a couple of touch ups needed for @Machine God's, both of which I'm working on, I think we ought to be good to go. Everyone else's kit looks mostly good to go. If I have discussed any special items or rules or whatever with you, I would ask that you please keep track of that in some capacity on your character sheets so we don't lose track of anything. I have my own tracking spreadsheet for that, but I am but one mortal man. Sorry for the low level of comms in the lead-up here. I've been very busy with work and family and it is a full time job keeping that ship steered in the right direction.

I'm looking forward to a bit of RPG mayhem, gents.

And we're live! Sorry for running a bit behind schedule -- it has been a gruelling week, and I fell asleep while proofreading the first post. Please post up any questions/concerns/comments in here per the usual arrangement.

Welcome to the Screaming Vortex, or my interpretation thereof.

Happy to be here! :biggrin:

Depending on time before the next update, I might add another post regarding Oswyld once he's actually on Desolace, but I figured my first post was getting a bit long! :laugh:

Edit: trying to stay in and avoid the heat today, so had time to get that second post in! :laugh:

Edited by Lysimachus

Well met everyone! Here goes nothing… :biggrin:

Bit if a busy weekend here but I put up a first post, trying to tie in the ( first part ) prelude I worked on into a set up for Khyran’s way up to meeting with the other characters on the Desolation. I’ll see that I can proof read the rest and have Khyran down to the. Surface / the meet up next. 

Great stuff so far, lads.

@Lysimachus I was expecting Oswyld to bring his frigate into the Vortex at first, but I see he had the good sense to park it elsewhere lest it get nicked or stripped down to the space frame for spare parts. ;)

I'm looking forward to the arrival of the rest of the scum.

1 hour ago, Necronaut said:

@Lysimachus I was expecting Oswyld to bring his frigate into the Vortex at first, but I see he had the good sense to park it elsewhere lest it get nicked or stripped down to the space frame for spare parts. ;)

I was trying to figure out how Oswyld would have got to the Vortex, and it just seemed logical that the Lions would send him in a ship?

But I wasn't sure how it works in BC and if us actually having a ship might cause problems with the story, or even unbalance the game? So I figured leaving it outside was the sensible option.

But yeah, like you say, I was also imagining Oswyld coming back to find it jacked up on piles of bricks and the wheels (warp engines?) taken off... :facepalm::laugh:

Edited by Lysimachus

1 minute ago, Lysimachus said:

But I wasn't sure how it works in BC and if us actually having a ship might cause problems with the story, or even unbalance the game? So I figured leaving it outside was the sensible option.

I mean, with the skeleton crew you described, I’m not sure that it would be very suitable for Void combat anyway…

Did they even let you bring ammunition for the macro-cannons? :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Lysimachus said:

I was trying to figure out how Oswyld would have got to the Vortex, and it just seemed logical that the Lions would send him in a ship?

But yeah, like you say, I was also imagining Oswyld coming back to find it jacked up on piles of bricks and the wheels (warp engines?) taken off... :facepalm::laugh:

What you did was just fine. There is an advanced archetype from the Tome of Excess which allows the character to start off with a proper vessel, so it would have almost ensured something entirely untoward happened to yours had my hand been forced. I like your approach, and it gives us something fun to work with later on maybe.

In terms of plot hooks for wandering randomly into Valeyard - Oswyld may notice or hear of interest in the merchant ship he 'borrowed', Ollkyrax may note that the cyber-wolf that stalks at his side is of particular interest, Sakal may be aware of him by reputation or even by service, the rest probably not unless Abraxus had some reason to be seeking him.

I'm going to post up an update in a little bit since some of you have taken some clear actions within Desolace which require a response. As a note to all of you, so you don't feel like you're floundering or without direction: Black Crusade can be run much more on the sandbox end of the spectrum of FFG games, and we're sort of in a sandbox area at present. What this means is there are currently no right or wrong answers for what your characters might do, nor am I necessarily going to force the lot of you together for the time being. Feel free to explore your character's motivations and vices, and/or attempt to further whatever goals they might have, etc.

7 minutes ago, Necronaut said:

I'm going to post up an update in a little bit since some of you have taken some clear actions within Desolace which require a response. As a note to all of you, so you don't feel like you're floundering or without direction: Black Crusade can be run much more on the sandbox end of the spectrum of FFG games, and we're sort of in a sandbox area at present. What this means is there are currently no right or wrong answers for what your characters might do, nor am I necessarily going to force the lot of you together for the time being. Feel free to explore your character's motivations and vices, and/or attempt to further whatever goals they might have, etc.

Are there, say, any abandoned workshops and/or manufactoria that good ol' Ollkyrax could "appropriate" from whatever mutant dregs dwell there?

13 minutes ago, Petragor said:

Are there, say, any abandoned workshops and/or manufactoria that good ol' Ollkyrax could "appropriate" from whatever mutant dregs dwell there?

There's a few ways to find out! You can attempt to gather information about Desolace from some of the locals via an Inquiry or possibly Intimidate test, depending on what floats your boat. Or you could also try wandering around some more and I can cook up some more trouble for you to get into in the pursuit of that goal, and maybe you'll randomly discover something. I'd also permit a Logic test based upon your character's background and his understanding of how power conduits might be laid out or some such within a space vessel or Mechanicus-compliant facility to help him get around, despite this being a thoroughly Chaotic stronghold.

6 minutes ago, Necronaut said:

There's a few ways to find out! You can attempt to gather information about Desolace from some of the locals via an Inquiry or possibly Intimidate test, depending on what floats your boat. Or you could also try wandering around some more and I can cook up some more trouble for you to get into in the pursuit of that goal, and maybe you'll randomly discover something. I'd also permit a Logic test based upon your character's background and his understanding of how power conduits might be laid out or some such within a space vessel or Mechanicus-compliant facility to help him get around, despite this being a thoroughly Chaotic stronghold.

I could definitely do that Logic test, especially since I've got Lore Admech and Tech at the same target number.

Although I like the sound of that trouble/random discovery, very on brand for murderhobo Techpriest. Is it an either or thing?