[BC] A Vulgar Display of Power: OOC/Discussion Thread

Necronaut

Hmm- I think Abraxus' armor will only change in regards to his arm armor amount, as he had scavenged a pair of Imperial gauntlets that were mk4 or 5 I believe. I'll have to double-check on Weds exactly what it was/did (aside from giving him less armor points on the arms), my notes are on my work computer. Otherwise, he had rolled up a suit of mk6 PA that had been carefully maintained and had the auto-senses, osmotic gill, vox link, sustainable power source, and nutrient recycling subsystems all online. I think the other part of the history was that it was really scratched up, but I'll make sure and update all of his stuff. 

Not much will change for Abraxus overall. He will keep ready Painless and Hydrafang, awaiting the call to battle.

Cool. Well, in that case I will keep the left leg with a Mk6 Greave in fluff, as it actually matches what I had originally converted with a file and GS on the mini (you can't quite see it on the pic of Oswyld in the character thread, but it is there!) but it won't have any in-game effect! :thumbsup:

Updated Abraxus gear - https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/373663-bc-a-vulgar-display-of-power-data-character-thread/?do=findComment&comment=5809221

Luckily I hadn't actually input any of the armor history bonuses into his character sheet, so that was easily corrected. His sheet is also updated with the stats for Painless and Hydrafang, so he is ready to go.

On 5/12/2023 at 1:22 AM, Lord_Ikka said:

Updated Abraxus gear - https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/373663-bc-a-vulgar-display-of-power-data-character-thread/?do=findComment&comment=5809221

Luckily I hadn't actually input any of the armor history bonuses into his character sheet, so that was easily corrected. His sheet is also updated with the stats for Painless and Hydrafang, so he is ready to go.

Was just looking at the post linked, I think either I or Ikka (hopefully me!) have understood the Alignment table wrong?

I thought Unaligned was Allied with Unaligned? But based on the picks+costs that Abraxus has taken, are we doing it as True? (If so, awesome, I'll go back and add some more Advances! :biggrin:)

@Lysimachus your original interpretation is correct: by default all Black Crusade characters start off Unaligned (barring the advanced archetypes, but we aren't using those) and thus treat all alignments (including Unaligned) as Allied for the purpose of XP cost per table # 2-6 on page 77 of the BC Core Rulebook. I haven't gone and reviewed everyone's character sheets yet, but it seems like I need to get on with it. I will make some time to review everything as-submitted this week. 

Edit: there is a fan expansion for Black Crusade (Apocrypha) which adds enhanced Unaligned support to the game (to allow you to make mini-Abaddons/Be'lakors), but I'm not planning to use any of those rules as it is my personal opinion that gaining the blessing of all four of the Chaos Gods should be a very rare occurrence (e.g.: Horus, Abaddon, Perturabo, Lorgar, Be'lakor, et. al) not intended for ordinary folks (you lot). I may draw some inspiration from the aforementioned works and/or create some ad hoc support for remaining unaligned that fits largely within the base ruleset, but at the end of the day if one desires greater power up to and including apotheosis, you'll probably want to make a decision at some point. I'm not going to tell you how to play your characters, just be forewarned that the gods demand loyalty and sacrifice. 

Edited by Necronaut

Doh! Sorry Ikka, I fear I may have stolen some of your picks away, rather than getting extras for the rest of us!  :facepalm:

I do find it a bit odd that you can't be Aligned to Unaligned. I would have thought it should be the same as for any of the Gods; once you have taken five more Advances from that bit of the table over any other God section, you can be considered Aligned and get the lower XP costs of being True - which would make sense for renegades who are determined not to be corrupted or used by the Gods?

Oh.. If advances from unaligned traits / skills are “allied” rather than “true” I think I’ll have to check my skill purposes as well :ermm:

And I can see both sides - characters who gain the favour of all four gods should be exceptionally rare. 

At the same time, I think gaining the favour of all major powers isn’t really  truly “unaligned” to me … you either court them or gain their attention and each one of them then tries to get you to worship one over the others in the end.

In a way, you have to actively DENY the major powers to stay unaligned..

so it makes sort of sense that pay “allied” for  unaligned stuff if you are aligned / championing one of the powers since you are dabbling outside their chosen domain. 
On the other hand, you also mostly get a few extras if you gain marks or mutations when aligned, which you miss out on if you are unaligned. 

It feels like you are being punished for staying away from the gods :confused:

- which sadly does fit the whole theme rather well once I think about it :devil:

@Xin Ceithan yes, when I said Unaligned in the case of Horus, Abaddon, Lorgar, et. al, I should have said "Chaos Undivided" or something to that effect. In any event, I'm perfectly happy to have characters that worship the full pantheon, just recognize that your character's proclivities will likely end up steering them one way or another. 

• 2 months later...

Alright, you recidivist scum! Now that Mazer's "heroic" adventure about the "good guys" has concluded, the time to embark for the dark and violent seas of the Screaming Vortex is upon us! I have an extremely busy August ahead of me between work, work-related travel and familial obligations, so I'm going to propose we take a little breather, and aim to kick things off on September 8th. In the meantime, let's all work on getting any remaining character spend, details or requests finalized, and be ready to go when my target launch date rolls around.

If you have any questions/comments/concerns/burnt offerings/stolen gene-seed, please throw them up in here. 

Edited by Necronaut

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your patience. I have returned from my travels abroad and have started reviewing the submitted character sheets. I'll be sending out DMs to anyone whose sheet is missing some information or needs a little touching up in the coming days.