[BC] A Vulgar Display of Power: OOC/Discussion Thread

Necronaut

Nice. I think Oswyld could definitely work with Iscario, their overall goals seem similar ...though they might argue over preferred targets!

Funny, the Passions I selected were the same except for Pride (I went with Martial Prowess for obvious reasons!)

Question: does anyone know of anything for BC like the handy-dandy Excel/Sheets Character Sheets that we've used for DW? If not I might have a go at modding a template, although I'm not sure what things need keeping/changing?

I was careful with that, but played into it, inspired by Ahriman, by John French, where there's a group of outlaws/fallen, whatever that go together into damnation.  Iscario will keep Oswyld on his toes too, being of the same geneseed line and a dab hand with a sword.

As for character sheets, keep an eye on your inbox.  I scalped a bloody brilliant one from someone on Reddit, but the author is unknown to me sadly.  He deserves credit too, because it's built amazingly well, with cell references, etc.

@MG, be a Space Wizard and TPK through space magic! :D

Maz.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I am very much trying to avoid the siren call of daemon  engines and creating any sort of proto-warp smith :wink:

Dabbling with the powers of the void has an appeal of it’s own, however. 

Edit: Unless you tempt me with an actual Knight :) Gods, that is an awesome new model !

Edited by Xin Ceithan

Just rolling Armour History.

It says in Character Generation that we have 7000 XP to spend.

Unfortunately I think that's a bit of a misnomer/misprint.  It's a guide for if you're including the characters in other games (like a power level mechanic).

FFG Strokes Again! ;)

Just rolling Armour History.

It says in Character Generation that we have 7000 XP to spend.

Unfortunately I think that's a bit of a misnomer/misprint.  It's a guide for if you're including the characters in other games (like a power level mechanic).

FFG Strokes Again! :wink:

@MR - So I don't have oodles of XP to spend, only the 1000 XP that Necronaut hinted at.

Next you'll be telling me that I can't improve my Psychic Rating with XP.

@MR - So I don't have oodles of XP to spend, only the 1000 XP that Necronaut hinted at.

Next you'll be telling me that I can't improve my Psychic Rating with XP.

A psy rating advance costs a flat fee of 750 XP (Tier 3 advance), however you must already possess the Psyker trait in order to purchase said advance.

Also, don't let the talent tiers confuse you relative to Deathwatch -- there are no character tiers in Black Crusade; the tier tables exist only to tell you how much each talent costs at the time of purchase, based upon your current character alignment.

Edited by Necronaut

'Fraid not - otherwise you'd be Abbadon the Despoiler by lunchtime.

@Necro, my Chargen sheet is done bar the kit acquisitions, if you pop me an email via PM, I can share it with you.

How's your mind made up on that Narthecium...? please pretty please it only works on Marines anyway...

So, just to be sure, are we supposed/ allowed to roll on armour history by our lonesome? And is that on the DW tables ( since characters are supposed to be rather recent heretics ) and adjust for the damage/ functionality as per BC or roll the BC history and just pick an armour mark for looks?  

Yeah the original idea I had was you would do the following: roll for power armor mark (if playing Astartes) per the rules from Rites of Battle, roll for armor history(ies), and then head over to the Black Crusade core rulebook to roll for armor customization and then select which armor sub-systems are still functioning per the Black Crusade rules. I'm pretty sure this is the direction I want to take, but I will give it a bit more thought.

Yeah the original idea I had was you would do the following: roll for power armor mark (if playing Astartes) per the rules from Rites of Battle, roll for armor history(ies), and then head over to the Black Crusade core rulebook to roll for armor customization and then select which armor sub-systems are still functioning per the Black Crusade rules. I'm pretty sure this is the direction I want to take, but I will give it a bit more thought.

@Necro - Please stay with this way as that's what I've been doing so, I just have to do the BC armour systems bit. I've also done my Pride, Disgrace and Motivation rolls too.

Also don't forget that as Necronaut has given us 1000 XP to start with, that as per p48 of the rules that you gain +3 points to Infamy and +5 Corruption Points.

My Sorcerer is already on 24 Corruption Points and a nice Gift From the Gods.

Oh thanks for bringing that note on p48 to my attention. I need to reread the character creation chapter.

Edit: okay I reread that box. Two things:

1. Those are optional rules/recommendations.

2. They advise granting additional corruption and infamy for every additional 1000XP -- I have only (mostly) agreed to bump your starting XP by an additional 500. Nice try though ;)

Edit 2: be careful what you wish for with regards to infamy and corruption.

Edited by Necronaut

Hmm, MG … care to share what type of Sorcerer you are cooking up ?

I am considering that and just want to avoid duplicates in Psy Discipline and such..

it is a shame they got to a 2nd Edition with the more recent Disciplines or the Master of Possession / Conjurer types btw

I'm pretty sure I have all the BC books (core, Blood, Decay, Excess, Fate). Threw together a character concept that is a combination of a couple of HH minor characters that I liked, with some twisting.

Nul Abraxus

Legion: XX

Past Affiliations: Red Corsairs, Savage Spectres

Archtype: Chosen

Pride: Foresight

Disgrace: Deceit

Motivation: Nihilism 

A cameleoline cloak covers a dark figure, blurring edges and only briefly showing blackened armor wrapping the body, meticulously cared for but scoured of all insignia or heraldry. Silent bolts shoot from the hidden figure, striking down enemies unseen before the warrior leaps into battle with booming bolt pistol and crackling power blade. Looking down upon his enemies, the warrior gives no sign of pleasure or disgust- for him the battle was over before it began, the enemy not worthy of further thought. He slips away, disappearing into the shadows and looking for his next target.

Abraxus was an unloved son of the 20th Legion, the Alpha Legion. Created in these later days of the Long War, a mere 400 years ago, the legionnaire was trained in the Alpha Legion's favored tactics of stealth and subtlety, though due to his status as a New-Blood never gaining enough status or respect to satisfy him. 

Becoming disillusioned with the Legion's schemes within schemes, Abraxus broke with his brothers and set on the road of the mercenary. Hiring out to various renegade warbands both large and small has increased the assassin's skills and merciless nature. Like many of his former Alpha Legion brethren, Abraxus views the Chaos Gods with a wary eye as he watches others fall into madness or decay. He stalks the battlefields of the Long War, searching for something to fill the void in his heart- a leader to follow, an ideal to uphold. Nothing has proven worthy so far...

So I have been going through the character creation process for a mortal renegade and have three questions.

1. While looking at the list of starting skills and talents and I noticed that some of them, when I looked up what they did, have prerequisites. Do you still get a skill or talent that is listed in the starting skills and talent section for your archetype if your character does not meet the prerequisite?  

2. The renegade (p67) has this in their starting talents: Weapon Training (Chain, Las, Primary, SP, SP) What is SP, and should the duplicate SP be Plasma as the renegade can get a Common Craftsmanship Plasma Gun as starting gear (same page/box), and I am rather inclined to take the plasma gun.

3. Starting Experience (p74). CSM get 500xp, and you have given them an extra 500xp (100% increase). Mortals start with 1,000xp, are you giving mortals the same extra 500xp (a 50% increase)?

Hmm, MG … care to share what type of Sorcerer you are cooking up ?

I am considering that and just want to avoid duplicates in Psy Discipline and such..

it is a shame they got to a 2nd Edition with the more recent Disciplines or the Master of Possession / Conjurer types btw

@Xin - Just a standard unaligned who may stray to Slaanesh although his armour looks Khornate.

I upped Psy to 3 and took the Host of Fiends power.

The SP I can answer - Solid Projectile.  The second SP is a mystery at the moment though...

EDIT: Ah! That's a misprint - Tro, google the errata, it gives you the amended list - and there's a lot.

FFG Strikes Again! :biggrin.:

Another quick query for the GM:  I rolled Chain Bandoliers for armour customisation, but whilst beneficial, to me this seems to kinda suck quadrupedal mammalian backside - would it be possible to have this as Bonding Studs for the Right Arm since I'm wearing Mk V Heresy armour?  That way I get form and fluff function (in a way?)

@ Lord Ikka - welcome to the Short Long War ;)

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Rolled up my Armour, managed to roll a 10!! Errant, baby!!! B)

(Actually quite pleased with that, as the mini for Oswyld is build from a Primaris Lt, so the extra techy stuff from mkX Tacitus looks right?)

Also got a MkVI Leg element as the 1 History, which could not be better because again the mini has a GS'd replacement MkVI Greave complete with Chaosy trim!

Rolled my BC Armour Customization as well, was slightly hoping for the weapon power feed thing to get a Plasma Pistol that wouldn't need recharging (Maximal fire, all day, every day! :D) but rolled Careful Maintenance for +2 working subsystems. Ah well, I guess that fits for what is a very modern suit of Armour?

And welcome Lord Ikka too!

Well that's what I get for sleeping.

@Trokair, please consult the Black Crusade Errata (free download) at your leisure. And yes, I believe giving a human character an extra 500XP commensurate with the Astartes would be appropriate.

Because the BC item acquisition rules are a bit dense/inscrutable on the first read (they're not really that bad), I will include a how-to post once I create the character thread.