[BC] A Vulgar Display of Power: OOC/Discussion Thread

Necronaut

So, I'm kind of torn about this:

• 10 x Krak Grenades
  • 10 x Magazines of Glittershells (because hell, why not?)

Or:

• Combi-tool
  • Demolitions Kit

Decisions...

Also need to sort out my character history post in that thread, MG has reminded me.. :wink:

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I'll have a look at the Catalogue of Arms and Armaments, M41 Edition, and see what might suit Sakal.

He could even trade in the Carapace when acquiring the Light Power Armour.

I have now read up on Light power armour (p174 and p175) and assuming light comes with the 'General Power Armour Sub-systems' stuff the that looks pretty good for what I wanted to achieve when I was looking to upgrade the carapace armour Sakal started with.

So if it does what I think it does, and I can get it (which I can if I am reading p306 right, single item +10 turns the -20 for very rare to -10) then that be nice. Story wise I would see it either as Sakal upgrading his Carapace over time until it became light power armour, or took it from an Officer of the Naram-Sin Legion after it begun to break apart.

Edit: I can't see anything, but do mortal need some talen or skill to wear power armour, even of the light varient?

Edited by Trokair

I have now read up on Light power armour (p174 and p175) and assuming light comes with the 'General Power Armour Sub-systems' stuff the that looks pretty good for what I wanted to achieve when I was looking to upgrade the carapace armour Sakal started with.

So if it does what I think it does, and I can get it (which I can if I am reading p306 right, single item +10 turns the -20 for very rare to -10) then that be nice. Story wise I would see it either as Sakal upgrading his Carapace over time until it became light power armour, or took it from an Officer of the Naram-Sin Legion after it begun to break apart.

Edit: I can't see anything, but do mortal need some talen or skill to wear power armour, even of the light variant?

@Trokair - I think that you still have to chose which 3 subsystems are working.

Post updated:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/373663-bc-a-vulgar-display-of-power-data-character-thread/?p=5809166

Although it still needs some work.

Character has been completely reworked/re-rolled with the permission of the GM (and sent as final incarnation for transparency).

Happy now.  Much obliged GM. :thumbsup:

Oops - one mistake - the armour is Mk VI (have corrected).

Edited by Mazer Rackham

There's always time for a jump pack and a pair of lightning claws in the future. ;)

Also I think we're going to use the character sheet that Lysimachus put together (what a champion), so DM Lysimachus or myself with your email for a copy of the sheet. There are still some crucial modifications I need to make, but let's have everyone get their hands on a copy and start populating their particulars. I will roll out an update to everyone's character sheets sometime this weekend I think.

Cheers!

Looks like I can grab most of what Abraxus needs without too much hassle:

Cameleoline cloak, Auspex, 4 Stummers, 4 smoke grenades, 4 stun grenades, and the Silencer upgrade for the bolter (if that's possible, I'm unclear if you can add a silencer to a bolter) are all auto-passes for acquiring gear. A Comm Leach and a magazine of Stalker bolt shells should use up my Infamy choices.

Whoa that's a lot of gear! Let's take things one or two at a time.

I presume you have an Infamy modifier of 2, so that will give you 2x bonus pieces of gear to select.

Let's start with the silencer attachment for your bolter. The way weapon modification works in Black Crusade is as follows:

• Determine the weapon's Availability.
  • Each Weapon Upgrade will reduce a weapon's Availability by one step (in your case your Legion Bolter would likely shift from Extremely Rare to Near Unique).
  • If you already own the weapon you can make an Acquisition (Infamy) Test against its current, unmodified Availability (in this case, Extremely Rare for a Legion Bolter). Successfully making this test will allow you to acquire the Weapon Upgrade, though you'll (apparently) still need to make a Tech-Use Test to successfully apply the upgrade.
  • If you do not already own the weapon, you will make a similar Acquisition (Infamy) Test vs the modified weapon's availability. In essence, if you are buying a brand-new custom weapon, you can apply all applicable mods in one go and test vs a greatly increased difficulty modifier, should you so choose.
  • If you are successful on your Infamy Test, then you acquire the weapon. If not then it is unavailable.

So in the case of your Legion Bolter, you might be able to make the acquisition you want, but let's check first (assuming an allowed final modifier of -10 for bonus acquisitions, free of Infamy Test).

Legion Bolter, availability Ex. Rare (-30)
Craftsmanship: common (+0)
Quantity: single (+10)

Total modifier: -20

This would mean the Weapon Upgrade cannot be acquired (at least not under regular circumstances; you may have better luck when visiting a Heretic Astartes stronghold or a Dark Mechanicus Hell-Forge). In the example provided in the book, they do not seem to include a modifier for the quantity of weapons being upgraded -- I'm unsure if this is intended or an oversight on the part of the designers. Considering it is possible to game the system to allow you actually get somewhat of a discount if you were to acquire a single, heavily modified (utilizing both upgrades and downgrades) weapon as opposed to modifying one you already own thanks to the quantity discount for ordering a single weapon, I'm willing to allow the same for upgrading a personal weapon.

Let's sort out which pieces of gear you want for your bonus items and we can discuss being able to acquire additional equipment once the game gets started. Also minor things with an availability of common (the cameleoline cloak, for example, is rare) or greater availability like backpacks, medi-kits, recaf, lho sticks, data-slates, etc. can be assumed to be pretty readily available and effectively free of charge in places with at least the veneer of civilization, so long as you're not asking for truly outrageous quantities.

Edit: yes, Black Crusade's item acquisition rules are a bit convoluted, however you should take the following into account:

• When you seek to acquire an item through Infamy (whether or not you're offering a good or service in trade), you're effectively using your reputation as a BAMF to terrify or coerce whoever it is into giving you what you want under the implicit (and explicit) threat of ultra-violence.
  • On the other hand, the guy you're dealing with might have a meltagun hidden under his cloak, and might have had his fill of dealing with big, armor-clad jerks for the day.
  • You get this privilege, nominally, as a player character and, more importantly, as a champion of Chaos that has potentially been marked out by the Gods for greatness and glory.
  • The Screaming Vortex, and the greater setting/ecosystem of Chaos is one that hinges very heavily on who you know and who owes you a favor.
  • You're not members of an elite military force which has the full faith and credit/backing of the Imperium (read: Military Industrial Complex).
  • Be glad you're not toting around actual currency (though enslaving a few hundred mutants, or finding a Chaotic artifact to use as collateral for your next big purchase certainly would not hurt your chances).
  • Some acquisitions will not fall neatly into a particular category as specified in the book, and may require an exchange in kind with the individual or organization with which you're dealing. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

Also, yes I put the kibosh on trading in your starting gear to help with your initial bonus Infamy acquisitions to start. Whatever you want to do with your character's equipment beyond the first post in the IC thread is entirely up to you, I would simply prefer that we not cross the streams, as it were, and treat the bonus Infamy acquisitions as bonus pieces of starting equipment which are more custom-tailored to your character's particular methods and desires.

Edited by Necronaut

Hmm- for some reason I thought I had read you could upgrade one weapon you get at creation for free, only reason I was going for the silencer. Looked again, and I have no idea what I was looking at and where I got that idea, so that's a mistake on me.

The only real thing Abraxus needs is the cloak and the Stalker bolts- he is a stealthy point-man, using his abilities to take down sentries and VIPs as silently as possible before a full battle breaks out. He has enough other stuff to do the job- bolter, pistol, chainsword and blade. Those two things are just his only must-haves, and the Stalker rounds will be rationed out, given how rare they are (could only get the single mag with Infamy).

Hmm- for some reason I thought I had read you could upgrade one weapon you get at creation for free, only reason I was going for the silencer. Looked again, and I have no idea what I was looking at and where I got that idea, so that's a mistake on me.

The only real thing Abraxus needs is the cloak and the Stalker bolts- he is a stealthy point-man, using his abilities to take down sentries and VIPs as silently as possible before a full battle breaks out. He has enough other stuff to do the job- bolter, pistol, chainsword and blade. Those two things are just his only must-haves, and the Stalker rounds will be rationed out, given how rare they are (could only get the single mag with Infamy).

To fire Stalker Rounds you need a Stalker Boltgun too

I don't think so? Stalker Boltgun isn't an option in BC? (Although you can fit a Silencer which has basically the same effect)

Plus, in DW too you could use Stalker Rounds in a regular Bolter and reg ammo in a Stalker. It's just that you'd only get the full effect with Stalker + Stalker Rounds.

@Lysimachus - Thank you for the BC Character Sheet. I'm filling mine out at the moment, I noticed that your ROF for your Legion Boltgun is incorrect.

You have placed the ROF as S/3/_ when it is actually S/3/-

@Xin & @Dosjetka, where do you two stand in terms of wanting to play and character concept brainstorming? Xin has sent me some DMs, but I just want to check in since everyone else is moving full steam ahead. I still don't have a timeline for starting the game, so no rush for now.

Wanting to play outstrips my actual capacity at the moment, as usual, I am afraid . :p 

Hoping to be able to get a more determined look at it over the weekend but I am also not quite at the stage where it „feels“ right.

I mostly have only had time for few peeks into character development, so it is still very much all over the place right now, I‘m afraid. 

@Xin & @Dosjetka, where do you two stand in terms of wanting to play and character concept brainstorming? Xin has sent me some DMs, but I just want to check in since everyone else is moving full steam ahead. I still don't have a timeline for starting the game, so no rush for now.

Sorry, been busy with... *gesticulates wildly* ...life, in general. I'm opening up the Black Crusade core rulebook now and will see what I can come up with.