Sky-hunter Squadrons (Plastic Jetbikes!)

30 minutes ago, Mmmmm Napalm said:

The plastic counterpart looks to be a tad shorter judging by the proportions of the coil-section in front of the rider and the very front/weapon housings, but not significantly so. I'm guessing they'll be slightly longer than an Outrider bike,

1674164212941599 (1).jpg

There's maybe some foreshortening at play also, you're looking at the resin bike side on, while the new one is at an angle. So far things have been near 1:1 copies of the resin, no reason to think they'd suddenly change the size. 

7 minutes ago, Xenith said:

There's maybe some foreshortening at play also, you're looking at the resin bike side on, while the new one is at an angle. So far things have been near 1:1 copies of the resin, no reason to think they'd suddenly change the size. 

I'm aware of the angle difference, I was judging primarily by the length and curvature of the weapon housing, which  to my eyes seems to be shorter on the plastic bike, even when taking angle into account.

You might very well be right though; as you said the plastic kits have been the same size as the resin counterparts as far as vehicles go. 

Edited by Mmmmm Napalm

Honestly, I'm not thrilled by the price.

Yea they're way cheaper than their resin versions, but also...more than Custodes bikers. Doesn't feel like it follows the same pricing scheme as the rest of the range, where everything feels like a good deal compared to comparable plastic kits. 

2 hours ago, Burni said:

I hope they've done the weapon mount like the dreadnaught arms and specifically left spaces for magnets. I'm sure it'll be easy to magnetise if not but the designed in magnet spaces work so well, I'd prefer that.

Just looking at the pictures that might not even be necessary, could probably just easily slot them in with a tiny amount of blu-tac at the end.

40 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Honestly, I'm not thrilled by the price.

Yea they're way cheaper than their resin versions, but also...more than Custodes bikers.

From the UK webstore, they're £1.50 more? I'm sure GW will close that gap soon to keep you happy :sweat::teehee:

I agree it's kind of mad thinking that a £12.50 chunk of plastic is a good deal, but for GW it might be. They increased the regular 1996 bikers to £8 each in like, 2005? At £37.50 they're way below the resin to plastic conversion which has been ~50% of the cost of the resin model so far. 

2 minutes ago, Slave to Darkness said:

Looking at the shots of them next to each other the front 'wing' is backwards on the plastic one. 

Is it? I'd think that little light would normally face forward, so the resin one might be backwards.

2 minutes ago, Slave to Darkness said:

Looking at the shots of them next to each other the front 'wing' is backwards on the plastic one. 

No, they're the correct way around - just that resin example that's backwards 

20 minutes ago, Xenith said:

From the UK webstore, they're £1.50 more? I'm sure GW will close that gap soon to keep you happy :sweat::teehee:

I agree it's kind of mad thinking that a £12.50 chunk of plastic is a good deal, but for GW it might be. They increased the regular 1996 bikers to £8 each in like, 2005? At £37.50 they're way below the resin to plastic conversion which has been ~50% of the cost of the resin model so far. 

It's going to be a $5 difference in my currency. It's kind of small change to complain about, but even at $70 it still feels bad. 

Like maybe it's in part to the rest of the plastic range feeling like a genuinely not a rip off. The new pred costs the same as the old ancient pred, but comes with more sponsons, more turret guns, and a ton of pintle weapons. The contemptor costs the same as the venerable and furioso (and calth contemptor) for a much larger model with more options. The tacs are $95 for 20 vs $65 for 10. The terminators are $100 for 10 vs $70 for 5. The sicaran is $95 vs the Dorns $110. 

So ya, maybe I was setting myself up hoping for like $65 cad for 3 jetbikes. That go up to units of 10. And leave you with left overs.

5 hours ago, Xenith said:

Hmm though there is quite a bit of difference in some of the details: 

I'd also say the nose cone is shortened on the new plastic kit.

1986354222_1674164212941599(1).thumb.jpg.6907ab15f98554914bfe2277f379854b.jpg

Edit: 

Right I thought the top one looked off. It seems like that's a conversion/3d print.

This is the actual kit from FW, where the details I circled do match up, but still feels like it has a longer nose:

image.thumb.jpeg.98a0596803993e261999c890aa942072.jpeg

Edited by matcap86

34 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

I don't have my 30k books handy - can a Praetor or Command Squad take any weapon, or just the heavy bolter? 

I never absorbed that information thinking Jetbikes were too expensive for me!

No options for the bike on command squads or characters. Also the bike itself doesn't give relentless or hit-and-run as far as I can tell. Fortunately command squads, techmarines and HQs are relentless in themselves, but I'm not sure what happens to apothecaries on bikes. Relentless is on a per-model basis, I assume (not currently with my book)?

Edited by Sgt John Keel

l’ve been looking at this just now, unfortunately for command squads 30 points per model for a jetbike seems rather expensive, they already have relentless built in and taking the jetbike doesn’t give Hit and Run or the option to change heavy weapon. The sky hunter unit pays 30 points for a jetbike with a rider!

Apothecaries don’t have relentless so they are forced to snap fire their jetbike heavy bolter if they move. Fortunately, if he joins a sky hunter unit they don’t lose Hit and Run as you only need 1 model in the unit with the rule.

Jump packs seem a better option for command squads; much cheaper and still gives deep strike and a decent movement boost.

I still think it’s a great kit and I’ll definitely get 6 and run them with multi meltas. I’m looking forward to seeing the sergeant options on the sprues.

Edited by Varyn

12 hours ago, Mmmmm Napalm said:

The plastic counterpart looks to be a tad shorter judging by the proportions of the coil-section in front of the rider and the very front/weapon housings, but not significantly so. I'm guessing they'll be slightly longer than an Outrider bike,

1674164212941599 (1).jpg

Where is the MkII rider from?!

Right. Because I needed something to quell my work-related rage, I spent way to much time on getting the FW model and the plastic model compared to eachother. End result: I think the plastic one is a bit stumpier than the original FW one but not by an enormous amount and I might even like the plastic version better (excuse the abysmal photoshop skills):

image.jpeg.6cf82655e42054d74665d1d47dacd8d8.jpeg

Edited by matcap86

23 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

It's going to be a $5 difference in my currency. It's kind of small change to complain about, but even at $70 it still feels bad. 

Like maybe it's in part to the rest of the plastic range feeling like a genuinely not a rip off. The new pred costs the same as the old ancient pred, but comes with more sponsons, more turret guns, and a ton of pintle weapons. The contemptor costs the same as the venerable and furioso (and calth contemptor) for a much larger model with more options. The tacs are $95 for 20 vs $65 for 10. The terminators are $100 for 10 vs $70 for 5. The sicaran is $95 vs the Dorns $110. 

So ya, maybe I was setting myself up hoping for like $65 cad for 3 jetbikes. That go up to units of 10. And leave you with left overs.

The bikes will be $75CAD for us as they're priced at the beserkers price point. Still half price of resin thankfully.

1 hour ago, 01RTB01 said:

The bikes will be $75CAD for us as they're priced at the beserkers price point. Still half price of resin thankfully.

Oh yea, for sure its $75 for us; I meant that even at $70 I still wouldn't feel great buying them. A squad of 10 would still be cripplingly expensive, and it's a unit you want a large amount of models in rather than MSU of 3.

3 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Oh yea, for sure its $75 for us; I meant that even at $70 I still wouldn't feel great buying them. A squad of 10 would still be cripplingly expensive, and it's a unit you want a large amount of models in rather than MSU of 3.

Totally. I've requested 3 boxes as I'd like a unit of 5 and a 4 man command squad. Ideally I'd love a 4th box but until one of my armies moves that ain't happening...