Dread looks great. It suffers a bit from the fact that they recently released the Leviathan in plastic, and I can't imagine wanting a Brutalis instead of a Leviathan, but as a melee version of the Redemptor it looks very nice.

It's nice to see a character kit with options again, too. The ubiquity of primaris lieutenants might mean this is the only one we see because they're compacting all those lieutenants into this box, but maybe there'll be more kits like it in the future. The actual model looks pretty good, too.

I can't imagine how they arrived at the desolator designs, though. If nothing else, if you're determined to make a weapon that's completely impractical, you kind of have a responsibility to make it look cool enough that people can overlook the fact that it doesn't work - if you make it look like a top-heavy nerf gun, it's a really hard sell.

11 minutes ago, Lord La sadies said:

In regards to the Desolator Space Marines guns, I must say that I am really  disappointed.

I personally feel that it is overdone and lacks a certain level of sophistication. In my opinion, it comes across as childish and detracts from the overall aesthetic of the weapon

On the other hand, I am thrilled with the new Drednugth models.  I believe they will be a fantastic addition to my Blood Angels army. I can't wait to get my hands on them and incorporate them into my collection.

Childish.   That's the word.  Well said.   If only the 40k universe already had a belt felt high rate of fire weapon that shot projectiles that self propelled we wouldn't have this delimma.

Wow, we´ve gone full Tau-Marine now haven't we with the new Devestato...sorry, Desolator. :tongue:

What even is this gun? Beltfed revolver missile nerf gun with some 3rd party bits from a modern war tank kit glued on at an odd place. Bet 5 bucks those missile pod mudflaps will break off  in the first battle.

The Brutalis is just boring redemptor with new arms. I would have hoped for a more iron clad look, "Hey I´m a closecombat monster with loads of armor to get me there"- kind of vibe.

Regarding the brutalis, I wonder if the bolters on the fists are coupled with the heavy bolters, the fist option itself, or if we can freely choose the weapons. Also curious if there is another option instead of the iron hail heavy stubber. But I guess not, as they would've shown it in the preview, wouldn't they? 

Edited by Rhavien

8 minutes ago, Rhavien said:

Regarding the brutalis, I wonder if the bolters on the fists are coupled with the heavy bolters, the fist option itself, or if we can freely choose the weapons. Also curious if there is another option instead of the iron hail heavy stubber. But I guess not, as they would've shown it in the preview, wouldn't they? 

According to the info Valrak shared a while back, the Twin Auto Bolt Rifles are inseparable from the Fist. If you want the Talon, you lose out on those as well. Also, you have to replace both fists or neither with the Talons.

And there was nothing about the Twin Icarus Ironhail Heavy Stubber being removeable or replaceable.

1 hour ago, Triszin said:

This mock up was done by a Reddit user

new-intercessor-desolation-squad-fixed-v0-injv2x5bqjea1.png

Much better, but I'd move the Castellan launcher, which is smaller and indirect, into the boxing where the sensorium is housed on the backpack, use Devastator heads so it has the targeting stuff, and replace the hand held gun with a HH ML (and skip the belt-feed, obvs).

Edited by Lysimachus

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

The sad part is it took someone months to design them and no one apparently checked in on the guy and told him to stop

That's what happens when the interns get locked up in the imperial dunge... I mean the designers office, for three weeks with no sunlight... Or human contact and soggy bread and water twice a day.

28 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Much better, but I'd move the Castellan launcher, which is smaller and indirect, into the boxing where the sensorium is housed on the backpack, use Devastator heads so it has the targeting stuff, and replace the hand held gun with a HH ML (and skip the belt-feed, obvs).

Agreed, but I’d probably lose the targeting unit completely if these are solely indirect fire - I don’t really see how they can do a direct beam designator to a target that is out of sight for them, so it seems like an unnecessary component for that purpose.

The belt-fed missile weapon is a ridiculous element to me, especially with a rotary looking firing mount for the missiles (and it if isn’t rotary, then it gets even more strange) - at least GW was reasonable with a similar weapon system with the Dark Reapers for the Eldar - the missiles are just housed in the front, which comes off as it’s own magazine.  That’s what I would expect to be similar here, not some magical belt fed rocket system - give me some attachable cylindrical missile magazines (with ports for blast exhaust) that can be rolled to the Marine’s hand to reload with.  The belt to the weapon doesn’t even look like it’s as wide as the cylinder that sits between the front firing port area and the rear cylindrical mount that attaches to the weapon body, so what the heck is it actually feeding?

What do those mini-missiles do that a bolt weapon can’t do at that point?  They appear to be about the same bore size and everything.  That’s one of the really weird things to me.

The LT is okay, nothing really earth-shattering there, cool to get more options and a kit that can make them, but not wow.

Dread - meh - wish it was more distinct from the Redemptor, but it’s alright.

But man, those Desolators definitely call for some conversion work.  It’s not a bad concept - I like the idea itself, just a really weird (and not in a cool 40K way) execution that leaves me scratching my head on what they were thinking for the weapon systems.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

If the Desolators really are 35ppm then I don't think I will bother getting any, regardless of how they are converted. Their firepower is adequate (if not exciting) but they are still just T4 2W Marines. These guys are going to get deleted in a hurry the minute it looks like their firepower will threaten anything important.

GW have overpriced infantry fire-support squads for quite a while. Just look at the price cuts Devastators and Dark Reapers needed in the latest balance slate to make them vaguely playable. If the rumour stats are correct, these guys need to be closer to 25ppm to see table time.

I think a squad of 10 shooting 10 Str 8, ap-3, D3+3 damage shots would mess something up. But they'll need care to be used correctly.

Now that I know that the indirect missiles option is standard across the units that makes them a lot more useful. They can destroy one or two key targets and then hide and harass infantry for the rest of the game.

It's funny because rules wise, if the rumors are true, these guys would be the best Devastator style unit.

But the current devs are super cheap right now after the last whacky point adjustment. I would imagine that until 10th edition drops by to reign the game in, these guys won't be the optimum choice on the table.

15 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

Now that I know that the indirect missiles option is standard across the units that makes them a lot more useful. They can destroy one or two key targets and then hide and harass infantry for the rest of the game.

D3 S4 AP- shots means that a squad of 10 Desolators will on average kill 3 GEQs - in the open - per turn if they fire indirect.

"Harass" is indeed the correct terminology as they sure as hell won't "kill" very much. :P

2 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

I'm fairly amused by the aiming a bolt pistol pose on the Sergeant when he has a loaded weapon in his other hand...

I'm amused by the thought that it would be preferable to detonate a rocket a couple feet in front of me to take out a charging Cultist rather than put him down with a single pistol shot.

Stubbers and crazy missle-multi-tool stuff seem like Cawl trying to "AdMech-ify" the Primaris. The Desolator launchers look like that insane box launcher from the Onager Dunecrawler and AM use stubbers all over the place. I can see why they went there......but not a fan of how they chose to do it.

17 minutes ago, Lord Nord said:

I'm amused by the thought that it would be preferable to detonate a rocket a couple feet in front of me to take out a charging Cultist rather than put him down with a single pistol shot.

They're in power armour and have anti-light personel missiles.

I suppose they could fire their anti-tank weapons by accident. The alternate button might get lent on for example.

24 minutes ago, Minsc said:

D3 S4 AP- shots means that a squad of 10 Desolators will on average kill 3 GEQs - in the open - per turn if they fire indirect.

"Harass" is indeed the correct terminology as they sure as hell won't "kill" very much. :P

It's 5 kills in the open, 7 in dev doctrine. Not that it makes it any better really.

28 minutes ago, Lord Nord said:

yeah true. Judging by the model discretion and finesse is definitely what they are going for also. 

4 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

It's 5 kills in the open, 7 in dev doctrine. Not that it makes it any better really.

20 shots avg, 10 hits (-1 bs due indirect), 6,66 wounds, GEQs have a 4+ save (+1 due indirect) meaning 3,33 (3) wounds after saves. 

Dev doctrine does improve this to 4,44 wounds after saves, very impresive for 350 pts indeed. :P

With time to digest them a bit more, the 'proper' missiles look too busy because of the unnecessary box flaps, remove them and it goes from 'ugly as sin' to 'poorly designed'. 

As for the under slung rotary thing, my assumption was that it worked a bit like the missile launcher from one of the old unreal tournament games, it turns to accept a new rocket from the feed into each slot, then fires them as a single salvo once loaded before cycling round to refill again. I'm not sure it actually lines up on the model to do that though.

Edited by Cleon
I can't spell....