3 minutes ago, Minsc said:

20 shots avg, 10 hits (-1 bs due indirect), 6,66 wounds, GEQs have a 4+ save (+1 due indirect) meaning 3,33 (3) wounds after saves. 

Dev doctrine does improve this to 4,44 wounds after saves, very impresive for 350 pts indeed. :P

How about with direct fire?

In my head cannon the under rocket launcher (its the castellan? becouse im not sure) its not fully automated, but shot in salvos of 6, then a iner piston reload each chamber while the revolver drum spin, now the weapon its ready for another salvo. But i feel like i made the dirty job of GW and i shouldn´t. 

2 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Quite clear that they were going for an homage to this when they designed the desolators gun. At least the sergeant's version.

SM1.jpg

Credit for remembering this piece of art goes to Xenith

See this looks great! It's huge but single barrelled and suitably dark, brooding and gothic all rolled into one.

I always felt GW should have went down that design route with Marines but they never did.

But then I grew up with the John Blanche art style so this speaks to me because of that.

6 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Quite clear that they were going for an homage to this when they designed the desolators gun. At least the sergeant's version.

SM1.jpg

Isn't that a melta?

Right, well those are going to be some new additions for my Crimson Fists. I'd been thinking of picking up the boarding patrol but this is a far better option. Might have them ready for the start of 10th.

I'm fine with the big guns. These guys are wearing power armour. There won't be a recoil to worry about. Twin-linked rocket launchers with underslung rocket launchers sound perfect.

Really disappointed with everything except for the new lieutenant.  The desolator guns look so, so, so bad.  I saw someone call them grimderp t-shirt cannons, and that describes them perfectly.  And the brutalis dread just looks like a store brand leviathan.  But at least that's an excuse to just use a leviathan anyway.

But I think you could make a good desolator conversion using the handheld/underslung horus heresy missile launchers, and put the little grenade launcher thing from the aggressors on the backpack.

41 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

That doesn’t look like the Desolator Sgt’s gun at all to me, even as an homage - that weapon looks like a massive beam weapon of some kind to me (most likely a melta) and those “belts” would probably be encased power cables, as it doesn’t look like that weapon has any hard shot/round capability at all.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

Just now, Bryan Blaire said:

That doesn’t look like the Desolator Sgt’s gun at all to me, even as an homage

Oh come on. Big clunky, belt fed as well as cord fed, big tubular thing underslung etc.

No idea why they made it into a missile launcher when they brought it to life, but its clear to me this is where they started. Not sure why they ended where they did though.

6 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Oh come on. Big clunky, belt fed as well as cord fed, big tubular thing underslung etc.

No idea why they made it into a missile launcher when they brought it to life, but its clear to me this is where they started. Not sure why they ended where they did though.

I meant exactly what I said - one is clearly a beam weapon and the other is clearly a hard shot mini-missile/large missile launcher.  One of these things is not like the other, even as an homage.  That you make that particular leap is baffling to me, and it seems pretty illogical, given that homage means “special honor or respect shown publicly” or “expression of high regard” or “something that shows respect or attests to the worth or influence of another” and what you are indicating they would have it turned into would be pretty disrespectful to the original image.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

54 minutes ago, Sargeant Centurion said:

In my head cannon the under rocket launcher (its the castellan? becouse im not sure) its not fully automated, but shot in salvos of 6, then a iner piston reload each chamber while the revolver drum spin, now the weapon its ready for another salvo. But i feel like i made the dirty job of GW and i shouldn´t. 

Even if it just shoots one rocket per shot (it's d3, sounds like a minifrag) it would still be a feasible weapon, just shooting the second top most rocket, rotating the empty slot to the top and then piston reloading.

But feasibility doesn't matter that much when the design is too polarising. A simple barrel would probably read better.

To make it look better with the components they currently have on the model, I would adjust the large missiles to be fired like the M202 Flash with the pods clustered together, either 2 side-by-side or 4 in a square, depending on which you are using, and fired from the shoulder.  Then you could take the mini-missile launcher, if that’s the indirect fire weapon, and mount it on a raised circular mount on an expanded power pack over the shoulder (or even two of them) and have them mounted with small loading arms from a hopper in the center of the pack.  Get rid of the silly belt feed completely, and have a couple of servo-skulls bringing the dual or quad missile reload “clips” as a freebie/fluff unit to the Marines.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

13 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Which is why its belt fed, right? But I tire of this.

And as I said, those look more like heavy power cable enclosures than an actual belt feed to me - right now, you can buy flexible link/enclosure cable protectors that look similar to run cables beneath for floor use, those look like fully enclosed one to me, but going from the backpack to the weapon.

If you think that weapon has hard shot/round capability, explain exactly where that would be at… because to me it doesn’t look like that weapon has any space or indication for a barrel for a missile or bolt weapon to fire from or any other hard shot muzzle type.  And if the answer is “well it’s probably behind that big barrel…” - okay - and a lascannon or multi-laser or entire miniaturized death beam array “could” be back there as well, who knows, I’m sure we could all imagine what we want to be back there.

Or actually be tired of it.  ;)

Edited by Bryan Blaire

Wow, well GW finally answer the question, "Who loots the Lootas?" though im not sure who asked it.

Dread is cool once you rip off the bloody stubbers.

LT is nice, possibly the last one now hes multipart? :D 

I don't think I can really add much more than already's been said here; the multi-part Lt is good, the CC Redemptor doesn't sit well in my head, the Desolators are bonkers bad.

But the first thing that came into my head was "When / Why are they releasing this?". It's clearly not part of a 10th Edition release, we'd be seeing a Vs box with two forces. It doesn't look like its tied in with the Arks of Omen releases. There's no way they'd release a Marine Codex this close to 10th with Edition ending campaign begun - especially considering that Marines would be one of the first two Codices released on a new Edition. It's not like it's part of the Chapter specific battle-boxes, which felt more like they missed the Xmas release window rather than planned for the New Year. So, what's this box tied with? Why didn't they hold on to new models until some sort of event? (New edition, new codex, campaign book, etc.)

The "Brutalis" also feels like a "Why?" decision, like why does this need to be a separate kit? I've looked at the armour panels, they're unique so this is an entire new kit. Couldn't they just re-use the existing Redemptor sprues and swap the ranged weapons for Melee? Feels like a lot of extra effort, and who asked for this? The weapons are the important part...

I looks at the Desolators and I bang my head against the table - the weapons are atrocious. I have no military experience, I don't know how ballistic missiles work in practice, but even I can see that the belt feed system for the Castellan launcher is wrong. Also, does that fire one missile at a time while rotating, or does it fire all 6 at once before it gets reloaded? So how exactly does the gun feed in the reload from a belt? I would have thought a spare canister ready to slap in as the used canister is ejected would have been easier, but again - no actual military or weapon experience here. Plus I would have mounted it on top of the pack, maybe in place of one of the vents, rather than have it underslung. If it doesn't require line of sight, then why can't it be fired off the shoulder rather than "aimed" with the main weapon? And for the main weapon, why are the Super-Krak and Vengeance launcher ones square? The Super-Frag look alright because the tubes are octagonal and come in 2 per side of the optics. But the big blocky square-tubes look kinda dumb, even the Hunter-Killer missiles aren't even this blocky and they're supposed to be mounted on vehicles. It really does feel bonkers, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills...

And more Heavy Intercessors. I can only presume that since they've appeared in multiple big boxes over recent months that they're not selling. 5 marine infantry models for £40 not selling like hot cakes, who'd have thought it????