18 minutes ago, Khornestar said:

Tracked this down to remind us of the rumored stats for desolators: 

image.thumb.png.e4c9c662f06b184514c2fe7743da1e7c.png

If those rumours(?) are true, then not only are they unimpressive modelwise, but even ruleswise. 

Tactical - 18 pts
Devastator /w ML  - 23 pts

Intercessor - 18 pts
Desolator - 35 pts

Desolators (and Hellblasters) should be around 25 pts tops. They are basically Intercessors with a Primaris Missile Launcher/Primaris Plasma Cannon.
A Devastator pays 5 points for the privilege of getting a better weapon, while Hellblasters/Desolators pay 12/17 for the same privilege.

30/35 pts for Hellblasters/Desolators would only make somewhat sense if they had Gravis armour.

Ah well, models look pretty dumb, so I can't say I'll get too bothered if they end up with lacklustre rules...

Edited by Minsc

The rumored rules are not complete, but I can’t help but feel the points cannot be relied on to be accurate.

Even if that number was right at some point in testing or is accurate at release, they can hopefully be adjusted to make sense.

They are generally not good at getting points right for Astartes of any stripe , so… we’ll see.

Edited by Khornestar

looking through the thread and primaris overall. I think GW just likes making basic frame where they just glue guns until done. Desolators are prime example, with just frame that you add gun ontop, kinda like combi-weapons but sillier

Home now. Had a look on a proper screen.

Bit mixed on the desolators. I kinda like the sergeant's gun, its a like swiss army knife of silly. Not sure of the squaddies weapons. They don't nearly have same appeal, either version.

Liking the dread. Gonna have to blingee him up though.

Castellan is really nice. Bits galore, good pose and the additional weapon options..., means both that I could go back and look through my horde of existing castellans and put in a fist here and there if so inclined... Aaaand wasn't there this upcoming book character with the fist and pistol armament? Gonna have to get both I think.

That Lieutenant’s real nice, love the pose with the PFist and Plasma Pistol.

Really curious to see how some of the better 3D “notMarine” modelers out there handle making their own Desolators, because damn near anything they do will be better conceived of than the official models.

31 minutes ago, Lexington said:

That Lieutenant’s real nice, love the pose with the PFist and Plasma Pistol.

Really curious to see how some of the better 3D “notMarine” modelers out there handle making their own Desolators, because damn near anything they do will be better conceived of than the official models.

Just don't think about it!   
I don't really know what I expected these do seem a bit low effort even for Primaris but they are also just a bit Todd McFarlane, if the weapons had been just a bit bigger and maybe more convoluted.  In a n old early 90's comics workshop video he did he said just make all the guns huge and the kids will love it.  GW might do well to make all the guns bigger. ?

I think the biggest issue with the Desolators is how lazy they feel.

I mean, look at the Eliminators. GW didn't just slap sniper rifles on intercessors, they actually put a lot of work into designing "Space Marine Snipers" as a concept - and the result is great.

The Desolators are just Intercessors who have been handed a gigantic new weapon system and tossed onto the battlefield. If they insist on having two guns on each guy, I'd have shifted one of them to the backpack, probably the indirect fire one. A mortar doesn't need to be pointed forward anyway, so you might as well mount it on the back - preferably poking over the left shoulder, to balance the big weapon in the right hand. That would get rid of the ridiculous ammo belt, and allow the direct missile launcher to be smaller and more sensible. 

Wow, I'm seeing a much higher salt percentage than I was expecting. Ever since Valrak shared the wargear options and stats a while back and we saw the Desolator silhouette New Year's tease, these models have pretty much been exactly what I expected.

Some folks think the Desolators should be in Gravis, but they're longer-ranged units than the Hellblasters, whose weapons will actually blow up on them once in a while. If THEY can run around in Tacticus, I think Desolators can just be happy they're not wearing Phobos.

"Yet another Tacticus LT" but as someone mentioned a while back, this model will be able to replace several of the existing (and in many cases OOP) Lieutenant models. And it hopefully points toward a similar multi-option Captain model in the future.

Given what I was expecting, my only real complaint here is why are the Desolators' Bolt Pistol bits all apparently set up for right-handed draw or cross-draw when their right hands are full and they don't have any melee weapons to otherwise occupy their left hands? They should be set up for left-handed draw just like the Hellblasters (and the one model we see with a wielded Bolt Pistol is indeed holding it in his left hand).

@Triszin

Unfortunately that doesn't solve the main design issue of the weapon: The belt chute is just incompatible with the rocket pod with visible tips. If at least it was like the conic Space Crusade/aviation-style launcher, we could imagine an inner loading mechanism. But right now it's like a revolver with a box magazine in the grip.

In regards to the Desolator Space Marines guns, I must say that I am really  disappointed.

I personally feel that it is overdone and lacks a certain level of sophistication. In my opinion, it comes across as childish and detracts from the overall aesthetic of the weapon

On the other hand, I am thrilled with the new Drednugth models.  I believe they will be a fantastic addition to my Blood Angels army. I can't wait to get my hands on them and incorporate them into my collection.