Yeah stubbers are still a stupid design choice that someone in the studio is weirdly keen on, you could pop an auto boltrifle on there and look much better, or do a longer primaris stormbolter and that'd work too without breaking the mould.

And yeah, some edge case for 30k is about as compelling an argument as "but I waaaanaaa!" :D especially as one of the easiest ways to make a non marine vehicle read as an Astartes variant is switching out the cupola and using a stormbolter instead of a stubber up there.

Edited by Noserenda
Autocorrect :cuss:

The one designer responsible for putting stubbers in random places is standing next to his car with its "I heart Machine Guns" bumper sticker, in the parking lot outside his weekly Machine Gun Enthusiast Club meeting, reading this feedback while a single tear rolls down his cheek.

The Good Idea Fairy on his shoulder is telling him "it's alright, next time just put even MORE stubbers on the model and everyone will finally see..."

Edited by phandaal

The last 5 years of Astartes vehicle releases say otherwise. I'm also pointing out that the idea is old at this point. I have an old Heresy Legion book in my hand and the Heavy Stubber is in the weapon list.

A unique heavy stubber on an Astartes tank is no more alien than a Heavy Bolter on an Astra Militarum vehicle.

The Primaris vehicles stand apart now because of their technological sophistication, which is more of a distinctive feature anyway.

Some of the vehicles like the Gladiator manage to look fine, not being too over the top. The first designs they did, like the Repulsor and the Executioner, look goofy with just random stuff strapped on.

In this case with the dreadnought, the stubber isn't the worst, it's fine. But when I did first see it, I immediately thought 'ah of course, there it is'.

Not to distract from all this hot stubber talk, but...

The Brutalis is Power Level 10 (same as the Redemptor) with a base cost of 170. You wants the multi-melta, you pays another 15 apiece and you have to take two (but GW will probably FAQ that with the free sauce until it's re-priced with 10th).

The Desolation Squad is Power Level 8 (just like the Hellblasters) 35 points per model and another 10 to give the Sarge the Vengor Launcher (which is the only way get the Targeter Optics ability).

Lieutenant now can take the Power Sword or Power Fist with any Bolt Rifle variant, not just the Heavy Bolt Pistol or Plasma Pistol.

The Bladeguard Lieutenant's loadout and increased Power Level cost are still mentioned in the wargear options.

The Power Axe (not included in the kit) and Special Issue Bolt Carbine (ditto) are still locked to the Space Wolves Battle Leader.

The Black Templars Castellan doesn't even get mentioned.

Edited by Lord Nord

9 minutes ago, Lord Nord said:

The Power Axe (not included in the kit) and Special Issue Bolt Carbine (ditto) are still locked to the Space Wolves Battle Leader.

Damn them :D...

My next Lt for my 4th is getting a power axe. Rules be damned which is good as I don't play :).

Also, the Lieutenant in the fluff is Titus.

I'd tell Valrak, but I'm afraid he'd explode.

Agastus (the Brutalis) was a Chaplain when he was still breathing on his own.

Edited by Lord Nord

I ordered from element games in the end, 96 was acceptable.

the desolation squad look like they may be fairly easy to convert tbh. And as others said, a split scheme on the launcher does help them look better, though still not good.

im in the minority that actually thinks the sergeants weapon is the best looking of the options. Makes me think a scope and single launcher is the way to go

Just now, Blindhamster said:

the desolation squad look like they may be fairly easy to convert tbh. And as others said, a split scheme on the launcher does help them look better, though still not good.

im in the minority that actually thinks the sergeants weapon is the best looking of the options. Makes me think a scope and single launcher is the way to go

The sergeant one has more promise, but every time I see it, I wish he could set it on the ground like a mortar instead of holding it like a rifle.

13 minutes ago, Lord Nord said:

Also, the Lieutenant in the fluff is Titus.

I'd tell Valrak, but I'm afraid he'd explode.

Agastus (the Brutalis) was a Chaplain when he was still breathing on his own.

There’s this info from? 

Hmmm, so what is the best loadout for the Lieutenant?

Master Crafted Auto Bolt Rifle and Power Fist?

The wargear is more flexible than I expected. I think this is a good indication for the next codex. I think they will consolidate all the Captains as well.

5 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

I am thinking of trying 2 options.

As my first will be 4th Company the Launchers might be Green or Blue.

3 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

Lol I'm assuming that now that I've clarified how Astartes stubbers were actually established in 30k, as part of the Heresy "Firstborn" arsenal, people will complain about them less?

Uuum, which 30k marines are we talking about? Specifically? Cause i am honestly drawing blank.

Edit: The avenger flyer has one, marines got access to that in 30 iirc.  Maybe some other 40k tank that got ported over?

Edited by Nagashsnee

4 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

The wargear is more flexible than I expected. I think this is a good indication for the next codex. I think they will consolidate all the Captains as well.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if we don't get another multipose Tacticus Captain next edition, likely with the initial wave accompanying the codex drop. The existing standalone model is absurdly limited especially in comparison to this new Lieutenant kit.

3 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

. Grav didn't exist before 6th edition.

Grav has been around since 1st ed. p71 of Rogue Trader.

Edited by Slave to Darkness

2 hours ago, Azaiel said:

A review of the rules by Ash at GMG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBt7sVxZoBA

I am not sure if replacing the Brutalis Heavy bolters with Multimeltas is 15 points each or for both so the MM Brutalis is either 185 or 200 points. Either way it is pretty decent for its stats. 35ppm for the Desolators is pretty high but the box set also lists Heavy Intercessors as 28ppm rather than the revised price of 23ppm. Hopefully this means Desolators will come down in the 10th edition codex. While the combination of anti-tank and indirect anti-infantry fire on a single squad is interesting, neither weapons are particularly powerful and they are mounted on a plain intercessor body rather than a tougher Gravis body. Ash seems impressed but personally I still think they are overpriced for what they bring.

The Brutalis is definitely the MVP in that box.

45 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

Hmmm, so what is the best loadout for the Lieutenant?

Master Crafted Auto Bolt Rifle and Power Fist?

Depends slightly on the Chapter. For Blood Angels the Red Thirst pairs well with MC Power Sword. For Wolves the fist wins all the way. For other Chapters it depends on how you feel. If you want a Lt to buff your firebase then MC Stalker Bolt Rifle might be decent.

Edited by Karhedron

4 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

People don't like Stubbers because they don't fit the aesthetic of Space Marines. It's not any more complicated than that.

GW themed the factions with weapons long, long ago. Shuriken were Eldar, Splinter were Dark Eldar, Las was Imperial Guard, Bolters were Marines, Gauss were Necrons...

Reinventing the wheel is unnecessary and clumsy. It is out of place and looks it.

Yes.

Marines should not have stubbers, stubbers should be for guard/gsc.

Stubbers on marine vehicles should essentially be replaced by the Icarus las talon on the hunterkillers.

Or, volkite.

19 minutes ago, Triszin said:

Yes.

Marines should not have stubbers, stubbers should be for guard/gsc.

Stubbers on marine vehicles should essentially be replaced by the Icarus las talon on the hunterkillers.

Or, volkite.

I think the way to make stubbers work for marines would be for them to have a tracer fire rule, say marines use them as a targeting thing and say shots with other guns from the unit get +1 to hit if the heavy stubber hits

Primaris Lieutenant 70 points

Master-crafted bolt rifle variants 5 points each

Master crafted power sword or axe 5 points each (axe still requires wolves maybe?)

Volkite pistol 15 points (lol)

Plasma pistol 5 points 

Power fist 10 points

Heavy bolters are back to costing 10 points each for heavy intercessors

Brutalis dread 170 points

Multi melta 15 points each, each heavy bolter is replaced by one

Desolation squad 38 points each 

10 points sarge gun upgrade

Edited by Khornestar

5 minutes ago, Khornestar said:

Primaris Lieutenant 70 points

Master-crafted bolt rifle variants 5 points each

Master crafted power sword or axe 5 points each (axe still requires wolves maybe?)

Volkite pistol 15 points (lol)

Plasma pistol 5 points 

Power fist 10 points

Heavy bolters are back to costing 10 points each for heavy intercessors

Brutalis dread 170 points

Multi melta 15 points each, each heavy bolter is replaced by one

Desolation squad 38 points each 

10 points sarge gun upgrade

So bolt carbine is gone?

I think the bolt Carbine exists on some Captain models and the Phobos Lieutenant, which is a seperate datasheet.

Also the Desolators are 35 points, not 38.

I wonder if they'll FAQ the wargear points away to match the most recent updates, of if they won't bother until 10th.