11 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

That doesn't look quite the way I would do it. I would have them holding the larger rockets with the rotary launchers mounted on their backpacks.

Thats probably the better way. I think you can just leave off the whole belt feed and just trim off the bottom of the support rail so they just carry the rail with the big missiles mounted on it and the rotary bit on the backpack, maybe even replace one of the backpack exhausts if the rotary missile bit isn't too big 

Edited by Matrindur

56 minutes ago, Wispy said:

I have not been sold on anyones modeling solutions and am not unconvinced that a tight paint job can diffuse most of the overwrought-ness. I liked what Knotely Paints did with just some subdued black casings (particularly  with the one Wolfspear Marine he did).

From the side, the profile of these guns is improved - especially when the miniature is assembled so the Marine is looking in the direction it's firing. 

I had considered converting these in some way when I get mine, I had thought the top of the gun (where the bigger missile launcher sits) was a sub assembly, but it's not, so I don't think my idea would work; not at least without quite a bit of faff. So I think I'll just end up assembling them as they are, and learn to tolerate them over time :laugh::biggrin:

I don't like the conversion, and the missiles are too big for a back-mounted weapon on a regular MkX power pack, in my opinion.

Apparently people are saying that the models are much nicer in person. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen them in my hand.

I'm of the opinion that if people want them to be converted, they should try to source the classic missile launchers or the upgrade sprue from the Horus Heresy, but it's up to the individual of course.

Eventually decided to order one and chucked the Heavy Intercessors and Desolators on eBay. If they sell then I'll end up having only paid about £30 for the Lieutenant and Brutalis which is a price I'm more than happy to pay, and if not I can definitely use the HI kit as the basis for some Gravis character conversions I've been musing over for a long time.

If I end up with the Desolators too I'll make them work somehow. 

12 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

Eventually decided to order one and chucked the Heavy Intercessors and Desolators on eBay. If they sell then I'll end up having only paid about £30 for the Lieutenant and Brutalis which is a price I'm more than happy to pay, and if not I can definitely use the HI kit as the basis for some Gravis character conversions I've been musing over for a long time.

If I end up with the Desolators too I'll make them work somehow. 

Essentially this reasoning is why I'm on the fence with this box, even though I don't care for the desolators... Finding a use for 10 tacticus bodies is easy as pie I feel even if all the weapons themselves end up going unused... HI's I've basically done everything possible with already I feel, unless I want to go gungho and convert them all into melee or something.

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

Having seen more pictures of them I'm pretty sure I have an idea that will work but will need to get hold of the kit to try it to check the scaling.

The issue is definitely the missiles for me, to be honest I think I'd just leave them off and paint a couple of the belt felt missile tips a different colour.

6 hours ago, Matrindur said:

For everyone wanting to mount them on the backpack. (From Goonhammer)

I think I actually like them less this way?

IF_DesolationSquad_1.jpg

I’d concur, this looks way worse to me. I’m at peace with the silly normal version at this point. The poses are often bad, too.

2 hours ago, Doghouse said:

Having seen more pictures of them I'm pretty sure I have an idea that will work but will need to get hold of the kit to try it to check the scaling.

The issue is definitely the missiles for me, to be honest I think I'd just leave them off and paint a couple of the belt felt missile tips a different colour.

I can't wait to see what you do with them. 

Aren't the missiles still on the gun the indirect fire part of it? Why would that kind of weapon ever be alone on a tool designed to aim? That said, ignoring function, that part does look better, but the backpack mounting makes it look dumber in my opinion.

Huh. I've seen the argument repeatedly that breaking up the parts of the gun with different colours somehow makes it work. Didn't really get it. Until I did

IMG_7204.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpF3Px3uH1f/

Granted I have a thingy for the silly bright yellow with garish flame motif, very 3d ed. It really tips the scale of silly in the right way for me.

I think I might just get the box now. I'm somewhat exasperated with myself how easy that turned around.

3 hours ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Essentially this reasoning is why I'm on the fence with this box, even though I don't care for the desolators... Finding a use for 10 tacticus bodies is easy as pie I feel even if all the weapons themselves end up going unused... HI's I've basically done everything possible with already I feel, unless I want to go gungho and convert them all into melee or something.

Drill out the missiles and replace them with chainswords. Chainsword launchers.

@Marshal Reinhard

They look so much better when they are all using the same weapon!

The Vengor, imo, is the only truly gigantic weapon and it looks off wielded in one hand like a hunting rifle.

That image is great. People I trust are saying these look good in person so I'm optimistic about actually working on the kit. I'll make a full squad of 10.

Edit: Honestly knowing that 10th is coming has me quite excited to build up my 40k forces again. It could end up being just as bad as 9th, but I'm chosing to be optimistic!

Edited by Orange Knight

22 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

I think the way to make stubbers work for marines would be for them to have a tracer fire rule, say marines use them as a targeting thing and say shots with other guns from the unit get +1 to hit if the heavy stubber hits

Marines has targeting arrays inside their helmets that are linked with their bolters so tracers would just be a downgrade lore wise 

9 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Huh. I've seen the argument repeatedly that breaking up the parts of the gun with different colours somehow makes it work. Didn't really get it. Until I did

IMG_7204.jpg

Granted I have a thingy for the silly bright yellow with garish flame motif, very 3d ed. It really tips the scale of silly in the right way for me.

I think I might just get the box now. I'm somewhat exasperated with myself how easy that turned around.

This scheme and the salamanders one from goonhammer really help how the guns look. They make the large too parts look like the actual gun instead of a weird add-on.

Also templars always look good lol.

11 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

That does work really well. Not sure it'd work for the huge sergeant version but for those standard launchers that looks ok.

12 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

IMG_7204.jpg

See I agree these are rad as hell paint jobs! But it’s still a great paint job on ugly models for me…

33 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

IMG_7204.jpg

I picked up a box as well (from the UK, shipped to US it was $157 so not bad at all) for my BT crusade. I go with a vermillion red for my weapon casings but I think the contrast will still be nice.

3 minutes ago, Khornestar said:

I picked up a box as well (from the UK, shipped to US it was $157 so not bad at all) for my BT crusade. I go with a vermillion red for my weapon casings but I think the contrast will still be nice.

I go with blood red weapon casings for all normal weapons, but special weapons (hell blasters, pyre blasters) already got the yellow casing so this will just fit right in. Heck I'm finding myself looking forward to painting the big flat surfaces now.

Edited by Marshal Reinhard