I agree it is probably tricky predicting these things but as has been pointed out, that is the beauty of them doing a limited run then offering an MTO along side even if they set a long stop delivery option on this. It may dull the FOMO a bit but they'd still sell out of the initial run, they'd end up with a quantified number of sales for it afterwards too. It may be a production issue but the extended supply time will minimize that impact too and people will still want the individual releases later to build up forces/have different options etc.

For me, the lack of availability of this and the other Gallowdark based boxes I've been interested in means I dont have the terrain and has other impacts on my spending. I am less likely now to purchase any of the boarding parties (and some of these look pretty good) / get into this side of the game as my entry point for it has been stunted. I'm far less likely to splash out on a big box of terrain for this  in one hit than buy two or three different 'starter sets' that include this. If anything I am more likely to go elsewhere for the terrain if I eventually do decide to get into this.