Thanks Dosjetka! 

My Chapter Master finally has a base! 

I was able to find someone selling Vulkan's base on its own, so after much cutting and shaving, he's got a nice, impressive display base. Forge World has really upped the ante on these things... I just thought he looked a bit silly next to Sigismund (and eventually Pollux) 

27482696243_b8524ecd79_c.jpg

And lest you still doubt how cool this will look when I finally finish it...

27483021194_843498c2ba_c.jpg

Edited by Inquisitor Engel

Looking good! I'm usually not keen on massive bases but it makes sense to put him on one if you've got Sigismund and Pollux on similarly big bases. :)

Is he next in line for painting or is there something else before him?

• 1 month later...

Now that I finished my Night Lords Sicaran I've started to move onwards with one of my final Imperial Fists models - a Storm Raven, with Chapterhouse truescale kit. 

http://i.imgur.com/JC4edc9.jpg?1

It's... An okay kit. For $25 it's find, but it requires a LOT of work to line everything up and have things working. I still have some green stuff and plasticard to do to plug and fill the gaps. Frustrating, but better than the Storm Eagle, or so I've heard. :wink:

After this all I have left is the Chapter Master, Inquisitor Rex, and Alexis Pollux. I may purchase some wardens or templars for some Heresy stuff, but I've got a long way to go first. 

I had one of those for awhile. It was preassembled when I bought it and had to gap fill as the previous owner didn't really work about the gaps.

It's a great model conversion though.... I have one of Tom mcbrides true scale Deimos rhino kits that I've been sitting on for years as I'm so nervous to assemble the thing:)

Looking forward to seeing your yellow bird!! Any ideas on how you're going to paint it yet?

Love your chapter master model! Which helmet did you use and greet use of the Vulkan base(so not a fan of the mini I'd not really paid attention to his base...very nice!)

Love your chapter master model! Which helmet did you use and greet use of the Vulkan base(so not a fan of the mini I'd not really paid attention to his base...very nice!)

The model is Astarion Moloch, with Alexis Pollux's shield, a Sanguinary Guard glaive for the sword, and some other bits and bobs tacked on. Finding a base that worked for him was a bit of a pain, but Vulkan's seemed to work. 

Okay, Storm Raven! 

I'm weighing my options on weapon placement and vent placements - 

There's the standard Storm Raven with a longer transport area. 

http://i.imgur.com/POSRAK0.jpg

In this scenario, I'd leave the Hurricane Bolters off entirely, probably plasmas on the turret, and typhoon missiles on the front.

Next option - 

http://i.imgur.com/w1ymndQ.jpg

Turret gets 360 degrees of full fire, the vent balances out the visual weight of the turret up front. Same weapon configuration as before. 

And final option - 

http://i.imgur.com/idN8uoC.jpg

To me this is visually the cleanest. I would modify things a little here - Instead of the normal under-wing missiles, I'd place some hurricane bolters here under the wing. Where the doors go, I would pop the sponsons on and in place of the normal bolters (since they're going on the wings) I'd place either lascannons or heavy bolters, as I can't visually get the plasma to work here. 

I've also seen a very cool version where a Baal predator turret sits back between the wings with this one, but that doesn't really get a ton of fire arc, even if it looks good visually. 

Thoughts? Also open to combinations of these approaches. Guide me brothers!

For the weather-bird, go with option 3. As much as I dislike (most of) the SM fliers, that looks the best out of the 3 options, (clean, as you said,) to my eye anyways.

Also, HYPE for the Chapter Master getting paint. He'll look like one bad-ass mofo when he's done (not that he doesn't now, of course.:tongue.:) The unpainted parts look like they're unprimed, though. Do you not use a spray primer?

Edited by The Psycho

Yup, props for mister Hagen!!!

I too would go for option two, but I´d lower the actual air intake. It´s on a chimney originally to allow air to flow over the turret into the intake. Without the turret, the chimney has no function. I´d also consider using a Razorback turret instead of the actual one. Also, I´n a bit confused: is this supposed to be a Stormbord or an elongnated Storm Raven?

For the weather-bird, go with option 3. As much as I dislike (most of) the SM fliers, that looks the best out of the 3 options, (clean, as you said,) to my eye anyways.

Also, HYPE for the Chapter Master getting paint. He'll look like one bad-ass mofo when he's done (not that he doesn't now, of course.:tongue.:) The unpainted parts look like they're unprimed, though. Do you not use a spray primer?

Option 3 definitely seems to be the larger consensus. I have a plan for moving the turret guns to the sponsons, just need some Stormwolf bits to show up on eBay... I could also do with a proper Storm Eagle hatch as well, but that seems impossible to find!

And yep, I don't prime a lot of my models, just use foundation paints where appropriate, which has always worked well for me. To me it keeps the colours pure without having to worry about tone, or crappy sprays/humidity ruining my model. I know I'm crazy. :) I do undercoat metal areas in black, and a few other colours, but I prefer the control of spot-priming to batch colour. My Fists have always just started with a yellow spray, and my Night Lords just start with airbrush paint. 

Yup, props for mister Hagen!!!

I too would go for option two, but I´d lower the actual air intake. It´s on a chimney originally to allow air to flow over the turret into the intake. Without the turret, the chimney has no function. I´d also consider using a Razorback turret instead of the actual one. Also, I´n a bit confused: is this supposed to be a Stormbord or an elongnated Storm Raven?

It is indeed an elongated Storm Raven! I got excited while trying to find a top hatch of a Storm Eagle. ;) 

• 2 months later...

Painting has happened! 

These are obviously low-quality, WIP iPhone photos, but I'm satisfied with how he's turning around. Some of the gold highlights don't show so well at the moment. 

31185372326_e4c6789fdb_c.jpg

Unfortunately I'm not super happy with how the cape is progressing. I have a vision of two straight lines, and some pattern in the corner with a small fist, but I just can't make it happen. I'm considering a small commission just for the cape. Straight lines like that just aren't my thing apparently. 

31185375136_eb4bf44876_c.jpg

I'm satisfied with the red (plenty of practice with my Saim-Hann Eldar) but the white... God I hate painting white. 

31185377926_d021e00813_c.jpg

The decal helps a little, but I think straight lines and detail would be classier. Anyone know a reasonable US-based shop that would do me a cape for a decent price?

Work on the base starting this weekend, then it's back to work on the Storm Raven!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I started doing the gold on Rex and wasn't super satisfied, so I went to town on his leg to make sure I liked the direction I was going. 

http://i.imgur.com/fhfmtsH.jpg

The gold is Retributor Armour, then Liberator Gold, a slight wash. Highlight with Mithril Silver. I'm satisfied with the direction and I think it'll solid on the whole model. Trying to knock him out this week. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Done!

32689885076_5668f55546_z.jpg

The hair ended up giving me a decent amount of trouble. I hate painting hair. The thought of painting Curze's hair fills me with dread. 

32689886686_77b8393cb4_z.jpg

I have no idea what happened to the pipe (or the pistol), which is part of the problem with having models sitting ready for paint for 7 years, and three moves. I'll get around to it putting something in there, as I didn't notice until I took the picture.

31916609023_bf8f489a76_z.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with both the red of the cape, and the text.

31916610353_1ede0c1da5_z.jpg

The inside of the shield gave me some pause, but I decided white made the most sense given the structure on the other side. 

I also finished off the very last of his retinue, so a group shot was in order.

31916611733_43e5e4bc69_c.jpg

I like the mix of colours with the red theme (the blue guy has a red inner cloak). Had to make sure to insert Solomon Locke, since he's now quite OOP apparently. Total coincidence his text works well with Rex's. :)