It's been nearly a year since I posted any Imperial Fists in this thread and I've done approximately zero work on any GW models whatsoever. A bit of Night Lords experiments, but that's all. It's just been such a crazy personal life. I thought having my own office and a house would mean I get MORE time to sit down and paint, but that hasn't been the case at all - there's always something to do... 

Anyway, I think it's HIGH TIME my Chapter Master gets some paint. He's sat without anything done for far too long. I felt he should emulate his Primarch with gold armour but there's only one problem - I suck at painting gold, and GW's current crop of metallic golds don't cover well at all. Luckily with Age of Sigmar, they threw Retrubtion Armour and Liberator Gold at me and... Well, they work great! 

http://i.imgur.com/Z79w07u.jpg

Paint with Retribution Armour, dry brush all over with Liberator Gold, wash with Seraphim Sepia (I hope they still make this...) and now I'm wet-blending the Liberator Gold as s highlight and I'm pretty satisfied so far! 

I want this guy to be as awesome as possible. He deserves it.

http://i.imgur.com/Cqo00Bc.jpg

I still have some minor detail work to add like adding a fist to the right shoulder and making sure as much of the Minotaurs detail is shaved off as possible, but I'm pleased with how he's going so far. Stabilizing his sword arm was a huge victory given how long it's been since I've done proper pinning and power cable sculpting. 
Edited by Inquisitor Engel

Now that's a commander

Thanks! I hope I can do him justice. 

In that vein... 

Eesh. I finished this guy up this week. I can REALLY tell how long it's been. He suffers from a combination of problems, both paint and model-wise. The helmet and body I both bought off eBay, and unfortunately they ended up being VERY cheap Chinese knock-offs, with really poor detail and soft edges. I cleaned them up as best I could but... The leather straps on his tabard thing are particularly bad. 

It's a shame, because I really like the pose. 

22728412561_a6a4eac922_c.jpg

I'm reasonably satisfied with my subtle highlights on the yellow, and the black lining and the grey highlights on the black parts, but very disappointed in my ability to shade at the moment. Brush control is everything I guess. 

22703667442_3a4af33ff1_c.jpg

I am still able to do round decals, and my custom ones that are slightly smaller still work! So.... Good news? 

22728414041_c41f4c270d_c.jpg

Still, not an unreasonable model to start getting back into the swing of things, and not an unreasonable result. Gotta stretch before the sprint, after all. 

Sigh. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some more practice work. I sold a bunch of my friend's GW stuff last year on eBay  when he got out of the hobby, and amongst it was a metal version of the jump pack chaplain. It was one of the few pieces I kept for myself as payment for selling a metric ton of stuff. 

Still WIP and in need of some touch-up, but I'm pleased with how he's coming along. 

http://i.imgur.com/EEDrLLF.jpg

I went with silver metal for his shoulder guards to emphasize the humility I think a chaplain might take as part of his vows. Gold felt a little ostentatious.

• 2 months later...

Behold! 

23658619485_8a60e32aa3_c.jpg

I'm doing things... (Yes, I need to finish shaving off the Ultramarine 'U')

This is Step 1 and Step 2 of my yellow. Hopefully I can actually document this properly this time.

Step 1: Tamiya Camel Yellow PS-19 all over. 
Step 2: Matte sealant (I use Krylon)

I know some people are surprised I use PS-19, which is technically their spray for polycarbonate models and not plastic or resin. I've found that it provides a better yellow, and the plastic one is too green for me. Because it's shiny though, I do have to throw the matte on there to get the other colours to stick properly on first coat. 

Some more progress!

23063566323_f4d0e2d204_c.jpg

Step 3 - Drybrush with Golden Yellow. Yes, I found some Golden Yellow on eBay, unopened, in the 3rd gen black flip top bottles. Ariel or Flash Gitz Yellow might be okay substitutions in the current GW paint set. I do this VERY lightly, in two coverings.

Step 4 - Wash all over, with an extra layer in the corners and edges of greaves and whatnot. 

(I've started doing the white on the shoulders. One layer Ulthuan Grey, and I'll go over it with White Scar tomorrow)

Thanks! 

Nothing fancy, but some WIP put together. Still getting up to speed again, but I'm satisfied. The first pic I've already shown, but I've done some good progress today.

The biggest thing you have to get used to is that your model will look like :cuss for 95% of your WIP stages.

http://i.imgur.com/dXdNpN0.png

Looking fantastic so far!! Havent seen those honour guard in many other chapter colours, but they look great.

Dont know if its just me but some of your older pics (the commander on this page for example) seem to have dissapeared. :(

Looking fantastic so far!! Havent seen those honour guard in many other chapter colours, but they look great.

Dont know if its just me but some of your older pics (the commander on this page for example) seem to have dissapeared. :sad.:

Thanks!

Yeah, unfortunately I moved all my images off of another hosting service for a couple of reasons, but B&C's editing tools make going through and replacing all the links a real pain in the arse. I'll go back and replace them at some point, but that's a good afternoon at least.

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest thing you have to get used to is that your model will look like :cuss for 95% of your WIP stages.

I used to really struggle with that so I can very much relate to your plight/discouragement.

The WIP shots look good though and I look forward to seeing the finished model :tu:

Thanks Montem. It's a big struggle, and one I have to get used to every time I start back up painting. Sigh. 

Anyway, an update as promised!

I think, other than a backpack, he's done. At last!

23906099482_7133ae2a97_c.jpg

The cape and details match the other Honour Guard, somehow. 

23646466239_587e8e4a42_c.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality, I left my SLR at the office. I prefer that for "final photos" though the iPhone normally does for WIP purposes. I've also gotten mildly distracted with a ton of X-Wing gaming (and repainting a T-70 X-Wing to look like Poe Dameron's ship) but I hope to have all three remaining Honour Guard polished off by New Year's. 

I'm glad I kept the axe, though giving him a sword was tempting. The sword would give him too much of a "captain" vibe IMHO, whereas the axe feels much more bodyguard-esque.

Didn't get all three done by 2016, but I'm close! 

Some minor touch up work on the shoulder pads notwithstanding, this guy is done too. I particularly like the white first on his leg, instead of the usual black. The body is from the 25th Anniversary mini. 

23815029210_0fd3842d2e_z.jpg

The cape and backpack come from Evanus Enkomi, with some hot-water bending to make it 'flap' a bit more. The final honour guard also has one, bent the other way, standing directly into the wind. If I can get him done by the time I start work on Monday, fabulous.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after a week in the UK for some family stuff, (including a visit to the new Warhammer World, which is freaking amazing) I've come home and in my lack of a consistent sleep pattern have finished the final honour guard!

http://i.imgur.com/uuZpw1r.png

He's not perfect, but in the group, he looks fine. Well above tabletop standard, but not nearly as good looking as I'd like. It is what it is. 

I purchased the Imperial Fists transfer sheet, which is where this lovely aquila decal (and the one on his leg) comes from. I also bought Pollux and Sigismund, so keep an eye out. :smile.: If you haven't look at the FW transfer sheets and are doing one of the legions... Just buy them. They are amazing. The Night Lords one came invaluable doing my first squad, being able to mark squads with runes and stuff is great. 

(I also bought HH5, Curze, and the Eldar transfer sheet as well) 

The repose of Pollux is a welcome sight. I really like a lot about his mini but I do agree about that shield. I know it is meant to cover his form in battle but it hides a bit too much detail. The idea of him striding up the stairs shouting challenges is a sweet idea.

The paint on Sigismund is also looking snazzy.