Lamenter's Actual Scale Space Marines

Lamenter

Thats probably because you haven't put enough time and effort into it. I doubt Lamenter just woke up one day and could sculpt like a pro.

You never know though, because sometimes it certainly seems as if that might be the case!

His work is top notch!

Well my greenstuff skills are non-existent,.

That's because you haven't developed them :rolleyes:

It really is just practice and the right tools.

Moving on to something new.

I've been quite keen to make a Grey Knights Chaplain for quite some time, and whilst there are a hundred other models I want to work on, this is the one that's peaked my interest right now. I was also highly inspired by this amazing image.

I'm sure some of you would argue against the existence within the fluff of GK Chaplains, but I rather like the idea, if nothing else just for aesthetic reasons - Chaplains always look cool, but a Grey Knight Chaplain should be something really special.

I started this with a few ideas in mind. When finished it will fit approximately the description of the Chaplain mentioned in Ben Counter's <em>Grey Knights</em> book, ie: all black power armour and a gun metal skull helm. I also had this idea of him carrying a thunder hammer that looks similar to a crozius arcanum. I've made a largely scratch built double headed TH, but I'm not entirely sure I'm satisfied with it yet.

You can probably see where the parts have come from. The legs are from the Grey Knight Terminator Brother Captain, and the torso/head is from one of the standard Chaplain models. Normally I would make the torso from plastic and green stuff to give it extra depth and position the head properly, but in this case I felt it look good as is. I'm not decided yet on his final pose or weapons. You can see a selection of possibles here (swords, thunder hammer (crozius), stormbolter and storm shield). The Nemesis Force Sword looks badass, but a Chaplain usually carries a Crozius. Any thoughts?

I do know I want him to have a large book (in photo), either on a chain, or held in his hand, as imagine one of his roles in the chapter is to record the names of the Imperium's greatest unsung heroes. I also fancy making one of his arm bionic too.

http://www.masteroftheforge.com/images/january10/gkchaplainwip1.jpg

http://www.masteroftheforge.com/images/january10/gkchaplainwip2.jpg

In games terms, he will "count as" one of the Grey Knight Squad's Justicar.

You know I am a huge fan of your work and I like the chaplain idea but I have a question. Won't you have to bulk up the torso to make him properly proportioned like your Huron model? If that is the case you might be better off using a plastic torso as a base and sculpting over it or sculpting the whole torso from scratch. As for the arms, how about a crozius in his right hand and a bionic left arm with psycannon? I love the GK gauntlet mounted storm bolters but the psycannon has a much more intimidating look. I don't know if it's rules legal anyway but I like the idea anyway.Alternately you could go with a two handed crozius with an imperial eagle head and shoulder or gauntlet mounted ranged weapon. I could throw ideas out all day actually, maybe I should just bite the bullet and start building and painting instead of living vicariously on the internet. Keep us updated as always.

I also had this idea of him carrying a thunder hammer that looks similar to a crozius arcanum. I've made a largely scratch built double headed TH, but I'm not entirely sure I'm satisfied with it yet.

Maybe you could try building something like this (yes I know the picture sucks).

Edit:

! Not
! 
stupid!

They are the most faithful and disciplined Space Marines in the entire Galaxy. So much so that they are incorruptible. So, henceforth, the argument is that they wouldn't need one. It is like having a Commissar with Space Marines. There just wouldn't be any need.

Still, I like to think there might be some room for a Chaplain in there. I mean, Commissars are in Veteran Imperial Guard Regiments 'just in case'. Heck, who says the brother Grey Knights have to agree they need Chaplains anyways? Maybe they think they don't need them, but maintain them out of standard procedure? 'Just in case'.

Anyways, enough of me. I think that this will be a pretty nice model in the end. I'd actually go with a sword, simply because it would be a great way to define them from the standard Space Marine Chaplain. Maybe the sword is black, like in the picture, this representing his personal badge of office?

Also, I don't see the whole need for the Chaplain's metal body being intact. You'll just putty it over when you get going for the proportions to be right.

Won't you have to bulk up the torso to make him properly proportioned like your Huron model? If that is the case you might be better off using a plastic torso as a base and sculpting over it or sculpting the whole torso from scratch.

I find it is usually only necessary to bulk the depth and height of torsos. Height is easily taken care of. The depth I normally fix by placing a greenstuff spacer between the front and back pieces of a plastic torso. This is to add to the appearance of extra mass on the chest. With this particular metal torso the chest is sufficiently puffed out already. I'll rebuild the abdomen of the model and add bulk do it's back, but I really like the detailing on the chest.

I agree with Mikhail on the plastic idea. Also i was wondering how miliput compares to gs?

Personally I really dislike mulliput. I find it too messy. I've not had much practice with it though so don't take my opinion too seriously. I intend to try out Fimo at some point in future.

They are the most faithful and disciplined Space Marines in the entire Galaxy. So much so that they are incorruptible. So, henceforth, the argument is that they wouldn't need one. It is like having a Commissar with Space Marines. There just wouldn't be any need.

I find the idea that Grey Knights are automatically incorruptible a bit boring. I find it far more interesting that they only seem incorruptible, but that they constantly fight a spiritual battle to retain their faith and preserve their souls. Their faith comes from intense prayer and rituals and spiritual practice. While a Grey Knight is individually responsible for his own faith, I could imagine the need for teachers to the newly initiated Grey Knights and leaders of that faith. I also see a need for someone to carry out specific sacred tasks - internment of the dead on titan, recording the names of each and every Grey Knight. Just my take on it.

WOAH!!!!!!!!

I hope you dont mind if i steal a few of your ideas?

Looks really awesome, you just persuaded me to do a Salamander army!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, feel free to steal away, I'm not GW, I won't sue :)

The hammer is awesome, how you make it?( stupid question probably)

Chaplain is going to look cool.

Plasticard is your friend :D

I've actually ended up breaking it down and rebuilding it, but anyhow.

I finished filling in the terminator legs to make them appear like power armour (sorry forgot to photograph back of the model), and greenstuff the torso to be a bit more in line with the rest of my marine conversions. I'm not entirely happy with the abdomen shape, so there'll be some conveniently placed purity seals when it's finished I'm sure. Still need to add a belt buckle and cables, and I think I may end up sculpting a bigger chest eagle over the existing one, despite plans to keep the torso's original details. Oh well.

http://www.masteroftheforge.com/images/january10/gkchaplainwip3.jpg

The large book has been scavenged from the familiar in a previous post (typical - spend time converting and then go chop it up!). Once the torso is finished, I'll add a heavy duty strap or chain over his shoulder.

I opted to go Crozius/Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield set up. I could count the weapon as a standard Nemesis Force Weapon or Thunder Hammer, without causing any confusion.

http://www.masteroftheforge.com/images/january10/crozius.jpg

The Crozius/Hammer has been made a bit more compact by shortening the hammer heads and adding a smaller handle. The forearm is taken from the Hector Rex mini, just so it matches the arm holding the storm shield. I really like how this weapon has turned out. Took a lot of tinkering with to get it right but it got there in the end. It did in fact start out as the Thunder Hammer on the Preacher Josef model (Inquisitor range) but has been chopped up and whittled down till only the center part between the hammer heads is left... and I could easily have used plasticard to build that bit :-(

love the work its really great, i was wondering how do you do the studs/rivits on the weapons and armour when you do them?

They're Grandt Line rivets and they're absolutely brilliant. I get mine from these two suppliers in the UK.

http://www.sbmodels.net/Grandt_Line.html

http://www.barrule.com/Workshop/scratch%20...gmentables.html

or you could just google Grandt Line

Durendin's about 99% done. It'll be a while before I paint him because of other work, but it's nice to see him realized. I had a lot of trouble finalizing his pose, but eventually settled on a crozius resting at his side rather than the usual held aloft pose common to all Chaplains. It helps give an impression of weight to his mighty hammer, but also allows the fitting of the shoulder pad to look far less awkward. Although this model has 9 pins holding him together, there are elements that are definitely fragile (the iron halo for example) but there's not much I can do to improve that. Guess I better not drop him.

http://www.masteroftheforge.com/images/january10/gkchaplainwip4.jpg

http://www.masteroftheforge.com/images/january10/gkchaplainwip5.jpg

http://www.masteroftheforge.com/images/january10/gkchaplainwip6.jpg

That model is sex incarnate. I love it!

One problem; the backpack is lopsided.

Thanks, considering your impossibly high standards that's a huge compliment :P

There's still a few more details to add (abdominal cables, and long flowing purity seals), oh and the pack's only tacked on for now :P

Amazing model! :o May I ask were you got the plastic skull shoulder pad?

The pad's from a chaos terminator I think. I came across it in my bitz box whilst looking for something else and figured it'd be perfect with a little remodeling.

I have to say that's probably the best Chaplain conversion I've ever seen. I'm in fact a bit jealous due to the fact that my chapter has no chaplains :o (Iron Hands)

As for Chappys in the Grey Knights, I belive in Hammer of Daemons (the book), the main character has about three conversations with a Chaplain living on Titan. Not sure how canon that is, but I'd just like to point that out.

The chap turned out great. I also thought the book looked too large but with the additional strap it looks much better.

The sculpted chesteagle is so much more awesome than the original GW one ^^

I second the gripe with the backpack. Compared to your usual smooth GS work, it just looks very clumsily tacked together.

Archived