Glory and Hate! A Marines Malevolent Project

Hyaenidae

I love all the guys you have done on this thread. The weathering looks great, and the yellow (the bane of painters) looks fantastic. The only small thing I can criticize is the eyes need a bit more depth IMO. But everyone looks fantastic!

Nice, I love everyone making these vows... it motivates them to paint more stuff for the people too smart/lazy to make the vows to look at. :P

I think the bearded guy is fine. As Magicman said, just make give him a 'grumpy scarred old man look' and he'll just look like he's been on a long campaign.

What will the dread be? A plastic Vendread? Converted NormalDread? Or something older?

@Alan & magicman: Message recieved, work on the eyes, lol. Thanks for the input guys.

@MagicMan: I use leftover greenstuff, cuz I got bits and pieces of it laying around everywhere. I chop it up into irregular square-ish shapes, glue it to the base, paint it codex grey, wash it with devlan mud, drybrush with codex grey, then glue on any details. And i'll stick with the bearded guy.

@Zincite:The dread is something far older...a heavily modified metal Chaos dread. I got a lot to go, and some extra parts to buy, but here's what I have so far...

gallery_37532_5399_832102.jpg

I'm gonna magnetize the arms, so I can switch out as needed. And here's a close-up of the hull...mind you, there's a lot of shaving and greenstuff work to go yet...

gallery_37532_5399_1445061.png

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'll post one of the finished guys soon.

AHA!! I see that matt they stand upon. That dreadnought is forged by the dark powers. Heresy! Heresy I say!!

All jokes aside though, I think your doing a splendid job on that dread heathen. I always did like the over laping plates on that dread, although I thought the rest was absolute crap. :)

Your army's looking great brother. Very inspirational work going on here. Keep up the awesome job. :)

P.S. I replied.

I am sooo happy you aren't using that crazy arm they used to come with .... never liked that thing ... :) And you are doing an awesome job !! really like a lot of the conversions you are doing.... gaining ideas just reading this thread.. :)

That you do, lol. He was a christmas gift from my best friend; he's gonna end up being my Lord Commander (Chapter Master) after he becomes more 'Malevolent-ified'. He's on hold for now until my vow to the LPC is complete.

Happy New Year 1000heathens!!!

Love the work on the Dreadnought so far!

This post really is inspiring wish I had half your abilities man and I'm loving the development of the fluff.

Can't wait to see a new update!

Hurrah! Back from the dead...real life has been..well, real lately, been busy as all get-out. But here we go, the first three marines of my vow. I painted a fine line of white on the lenses of the helms to give 'em some life, as per the constructive critisism from Alan and MagicMan. Thanks guys, hope you approve.

gallery_37532_5399_348108.png

gallery_37532_5399_3363008.png

gallery_37532_5399_949759.png

gallery_37532_5399_3051840.png

No WIP shots today, but tomorrow I'll have something up.

@Everybody: Thanks for the comments, guys and gals. Glad the dread idea seems like a hit with y'all.

@noctis: Heresy? What? Where? :D

@Varen: The vow is alongside this project. I took the vow to get me to get that damn dread finished, lol. He's been put off for a loooong time...

That's some really nice battle damage and signs of a long campaign. If you'd do a little more with the bases they would be among the best looking marines on this forum, I just love 'em scarred and battle hardened ^^

Here's that WIP I promised...

gallery_37532_5399_625053.png

I've been looking for the perfect guy to put that SW head on, and the hand flamers were perfect for him, in my opinion. He looks like a ticked off Burt Renoylds, lol.

@Goose: Ever notice that they're no cusioned seats in the rhino? Now, imagine sitting in that seat with a tin can wrapped around your butt, going across a battlefield of craters, shellholes, trenches, rubble, mutant fodder, etc at 40-50 MPH...Yeah, I'd imagine quite a bit of chipping of paint on the heiney area, lol. Good thing Marines heal quickly, or they'd probably waddle out of the Rhino bow-legged :D .

Nice, going for a bit of a more close-up theme for this squad? Whoever there're facing is going to get hit by a grenade, punched in the face, stabbed by a knife, and then get a double helping of burning promethium...

EDIT: Now that Zeller's mentioned it, I can't see the sergeant doing anything but thinking about his morning eggs and bacon ;)

EDIT EDIT: Is he a sergeant?

Everytime I read this thread#s title, I can't help but thinking of a full squad of Marines roaring "GLORY AND HATE!" in unison...

Brilliant stuff. And this isn't even about the painting, it's about how they look - I love armies of individuals rather than uniform, faceless cannon fodder people.

*scrolling scrolling scrolling* And then I see the guy with the beard looking thoughtfully towards something just out of view. Given he's also in a kneeling pose I cannot say how much I'm reminded of a Knight. This is not to say he couldn't simply be reminiscing about the morning's meal - reese's puffs, bacon, egg, and orange juice. In fact, one might suggest that based on his facial expression he is simply reflecting on how well pepared he his due to his fully encompassing meal.

Malarky nonsene aside the combination of plastic kits is looking really cool. Might have to try that some time. I really like the wear on the armor. Do you build it up before or after applying yellow?

Archived