Glory and Hate! A Marines Malevolent Project

Hyaenidae

@Mr. Malevolent: Thanks, brother!

@Zincite: Thanks, man...yeah, I think the feet are one of my favorite parts of this old dread, as well as the segmented hull. It was just that crappy head and arms that set me off, lol.

@Firepower: First, the green bags...I just don't have another green right now, lol. I agree with you though, and as soon as my tax refunds come back, I'm getting a new shade of green and re-painting that. Sand, now that is a great idea! Please remember that the point of this whole army was to push my skills to the absolute limit and really challange myself...and I've never based my models before, so any advice would be awesome. Thanks for the critisism, man!

@Goose: Thanks for the comments, man! For the helms, this is what I run with: Tacticals, yellow. Sergeants, a black stripe down the helm, RT style. All Vets and Vet. Sergeants recieve hazard stripes on the casings on their weapons. All members of the Vengance squads (Sternguard and Vanguard vets) all have black helmets and wear black death shrouds. "But why?", you ask? Heh...alright, you asked for it...

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING.....WALL OF FLUFF INCOMING!!!!!

'It was on the Marines Malevolents' third War of Compliance that the Crusade fell upon the Ork-infested planet of Davros V. The Crusade had yet to break down into seperate fleets at this point, a decision made by Father Varen (who now carried the title Arch-Bibliosoph, or high librarian) to ensure the Crusade was of one mind, one hatred, before they were to to carry the torch of the Imperial Truth as individual Crusades. So it was that the might of the entire Crusade struck the planet and began tearing through the ork's numbers. Lord Commander Daesus Menoitios led the Crusade on the ground, while Father Mikal Varen sat high in orbit upon the Eternal Vigilance, providing the ground elements with tactical observations and the occasional orbital bombardment to break any particularly tough foe or fortress.

The Marines Malevolent quickly secured all of the planets' major cities, except the greatest of the greenskins' fortress-hives. Nearly 100 kilometers across, bristling with lethal ork weaponry across it's massive 150 meter tall walls, and protected from orbital bombardment by an intricate orky mad-genius force shield, the Fortress-Hive of Warboss MadGutz BoneEater was the home base of every ork in the entire Davros Cluster. For this reason, it was imperative that the fortress-hive had to die. Over the course of three grueling months, the Marines Malevolent used every tool and scrap of hate at their disposal until finally the Ork Shields fell from the combination of constant orbital bombardments and lightning strikes of assault teams destroying energy pylons along the tops of the walls.

The Malevolents quickly took advantage of the situation, targeting the walls from orbit with mass-drivers and melta cluster bombs until a 10 kilometer stretch of the walls was rendered molten and shattered. The Crusade poured into the fortress-hive and slaughtered with wild abandon as they went, addicted to the rage and malice pouring through their veins, with Lord Commander Menoitios leading from the front. When MadGutz, a Kunnin' Kommando-Warboss, suddenly struck from the ruins with every Kommando at his disposal, Menoitios and fifty of his best warriors were suddenly surrounded and cut off. The Crusade rushed forward to support their Lord Commander, but massive waves of cannon fire struck the main lines, cutting down Marines by the dozens. Three Gargants, unrecognizable while hidden amongst the 'Faktoreez' and blasted ruins, stomped forward and poured fire into the Warriors of Blackened Hearts. It was a kunnin' trap...and it was sealed. Father Varen watched helplessly on relayed gun-pics from brothers within the murder-zone as Daesus, truly his adopted son, fought his last fight against the cowardly backstabbing xenos. His last sight of Daesus was of the Lord Commander being disemboweled by MadGutz's power claw while four of his Nobz held him immobile and rammed huge blackened blades through his back and throat. With one last burst of static as the gun-pic's owners' head was torn apart by point-blank gunfire, Father Varen was left staring at a blank screen.

For many long moments, Varen was silent, staring at the darkened pict-viewer. Knuckles turned white as he gripped his cane harder and harder, until the ancient Terran Oak splintered in his grip. He sent word to the surface for all Captains to withdraw from the city, to not let a single ork out, and await further instructions. The old man turned away and hobbled from the bridge, his broken cane left upon the deck, as he relayed a message to the Master of the Forge to meet him within the Crusade armoury.

The Crusade Captains waited for days for such further instructions, but none were forthcoming. Father Varen was sealed within the Armoury, the Master of the Forge and Chief Apothecary as well. Sick to the core with waiting, the surviving Captains gathered for a meeting on the hills overlooking the Fortress-hive to decide how to proceed with Compliance. With their Lord Commander dead and their 'cowardly' Father hiding in the armoury waiting for death, the Marines Malevolent were full of a new kind of hate...self-loathing. Their leaders had failed, or abandoned them. Their numbers were nearly halved. Almost every brother was wounded in some way or another. Right then, the poisoned hearts of these hate-filled brothers almost destroyed the Crusade as they considered how to die well against this xenos foe. There would be no surviving a foe that outnumbered them a hundred to one, but they would be damned if they wouldn't take the filthy kine with them. As the debate raged, an inbound craft could be heard approaching fast; an astartes vessel, huge and coming in at combat-speed. The Crusade Captains rushed outside their bunker in time to see one of the Crusade's last Stormbirds land. The assault ramp dropped, and a massive shape stomped out. A Dreadnought, but not one of the newer designs. This steel monstrosity was of a model made in the old way, almost humanoid in shape. A massive rotary cannon in one fist, the other a snaling claw wreathed in armour rending energy. A true relic of the Great Crusade. And the gravelly, mechanical voice that growled forth from it's hull....the Crusade Captains were left stunned and dropped to their knees in respect and shame as Father Varen admonished them for thinking for one second that the Crusade would die while he still drew breath. The Father had voluntarily been entombed in the Dreadnought's hull, so that his ancient, ruined body could fight one last time to murder his adopted son's murderer. Such Hatred. The Crusade Captains were humbled by this act of purity through abhorrence and loathing. He told them to gather fifty of their best warriors, and have them meet at the Stormbird at dusk.

As night drew in, The fifty came to the assault craft to be greeted by no less than Arch-Bibliosoph Varen, the Master of the Forge Setuis, Arch-Chaplain Gabriel and Chief-Apothecary Rahguel. First, the Draw. The hold of the Stormbird contained some of the most powerful weapons of the Crusade, and The Fifty were told by the Master of the Forge to take what they wanted. Power Fists, Heavy Flamers, specialized ammunition...The Fifty drew what they needed. Next, the Sorrow. The Arch-Chaplain had every brother kneel, as mortal slaves draped torn blackened cloaks over them, and other slaves painted their helms as pitch as night. Death shrouds. Every man here was now already dead. Now, the Cleansing. Pyres were built, fifty of them, and draped with scrolls thick with writings of each mans' accomplishments in life. All were burned, useless victories of malice in the face of a dishonoured death. Every Astartes of The Fifty was now an equal with no name or history, with only their purified hatred uniting them, and their all consuming need for vengance. Finally, the Rage. The Arch-Bibliosoph spoke at length of true hatred for a foe, of purity through rage. He told them that every man here was now nothing but a vessel for the Crusade's loathing, an extention of the Emperor's Hatred for those that dared to dishonour his only true sons. Only in death would vengeance be fufilled. A small Oath of Moment, made of a gold lightning bolt icon and a scrap of parchment written with their only foe's name, MadGutz, was pinned to their chest. Stunning every warrior, Varen unexpectedly kneeled, bowing his sarcophagus so that his hull could be draped in blackened shroud, and his helmet painted the same. The Spiritual Father of the Marines Malevolent would die tonight, with only hatred in his heart.

The Rites of Vengance complete, Father Varen and The Fifty boarded the Stormbird, as the rest of the Crusade marched towards the Fortress-Hive one last time. As the Malevolents tore open the city once again, The newly fashioned Vengance Squads waited impatiently for MadGutz to show his head. Again, the Ork Warlord tried to trap the Warriors of Blackened Hearts by surrounding them with Kommandos hidden in the ruins, but they were ready for it this time. As the Gargants stomped forwards, targeting data was quickly sent to orbit, and the Eternal Vigilance. Closed in by the same crumbling 'Faktoreez' that they were using for camoflage, the Gargants were unable to escape from the orbital bombardment, and their crews died screaming in nuclear fire. Meanwhile, tactical squads rushed forwards in Rhinos and disembarked to hold open the jaws of the trap for the inbound Stormbird, screaming forwards at suicidal speeds, straight towards MadGutz and his horde of 200 Nobz who had sprung from hiding to 'bash summore humies'. The Stormbird's assault ramps dropped, as did 25 Brothers equipped with jump packs. As the vanguard held back the Mobz, the Stormbird slammed into the ground and disgorged the last 25 Brothers and Varen himself. The revered assault craft poured fire into the ork ranks until it was finally annihilated by teams of tankbustas, but it was truly too late for the filthy orks.

Flashing steel, gutteral howls, squealing screams of pain, curse-laced shouts of hatred...the Crusade Captains redoubled their efforts to get to the landing zone, as these apocalyptic sounds slowly went quiet over the comm-link. When the Crusade finally punched through, they were greeted with a sight that has become legend within the Crusade. The Fifty were all dead, each Brother's body laying atop a pile of Ork bodies six deep, the air thick with gunsmoke and blood mist. At the center of it all, atop the smouldering ruins of the Stormbird, lay Father Varen. His Assault Cannon still spun lazily, despite being shattered, the loose barrels clacking together slowly. His hull was a crater ridden mess, the plate torn open and artificial amniotic fluid mixed with oil and blood leaking from the cracks. Despite all this, his mighty claw was held high into the air, ork blood leaving trails of crimson against the battered yellow plate. Impaled upon these claws was no other than MadGutz himself, hoisted high like a bloody ruined trophy. Now the Marines Malevolent knew what hatred truly meant...'

Really cool stuff, man. These are the first yellow Marines I've actually liked. My only complaint (yes, there always has to be one..) on the dread is I wish when you green-stuffed the lightning bolt for the big symbols on the arms you'd have made them look more attached to the wings (which I'm assuming are ravenguard bike wings?) so as they appeared to be all one piece... Minor details, though. Oh, and the base stuff, which you've already acknowledged. Still, awesome army. :)

'Brothers! These foul Aliens stand before us, thinking they are powerful enough to resist us! But they have made one, massive, terrible mistake; they have forgotten who they face!'

'FOR WE ARE THE MARINES MALEVOLENT, CHOSEN OF THE EMPEROR, THE ONLY TRUE SERVANTS OF HIS GLORIOUS WILL!! FORGED WITH HATE, ARMORED WITH TRUTH, TEMPERED WITH BLOOD!!! THESE XENOS SHALL FALL!!!!

FOR GLORY! FOR HATE!! FOR THE GREAT CRUSADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Just something that popped into my head, not doubt inspired by that wall of fluff :D )

Alright, the old pic was driving me crazy, so here's one that isn't so bleached out...

gallery_37532_5399_398674.png

@SincaiN: Thank you!

@Crimson: I actually was told about the lightning/ wing blend, but too late...by the time I looked at my comments on here, I'd already basecoated this beast. That's what I get for being impatient, lol. Yeah, the wings were from the Ravenwing set. I'll get that base fixed soon, and re-post. Thanks, brother.

@Zincite: Niiiice...at least I'm not the only one bored out of his mind, lol.

'Brothers! These foul Aliens stand before us, thinking they are powerful enough to resist us! But they have made one, massive, terrible mistake; they have forgotten who they face!'

'FOR WE ARE THE MARINES MALEVOLENT, CHOSEN OF THE EMPEROR, THE ONLY TRUE SERVANTS OF HIS GLORIOUS WILL!! FORGED WITH HATE, ARMORED WITH TRUTH, TEMPERED WITH BLOOD!!! THESE XENOS SHALL FALL!!!!

FOR GLORY! FOR HATE!! FOR THE GREAT CRUSADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zincite......can see you can feel the Love for the Marines Malevolent!! :blush:

;)

And as usual,excellent work Heathens!!

1000heathens, hope you don't mind but I had a quick play with the white levels on the image of your dread. Should try giving a few basic Photoshop colour correction tutorials a go, Give you much better results to show off your fantastic work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/cradle2/MMDREADBRIGHT.png

Not sure how the yellows in this image compare to how they are in real life, you'd be the best judge of that but you get the idea.

zincite, borrowed your words for my sig. I liked it.

Heathens, great work as usual. I like it alot. What else you got to do for your vow?

:)

Just might have to do the same Brother......very special words....straight from the heart of a true Warrior of the Emperor!!

@zxyogi: As always, thank you brother!

@Goose: Um...oops? lol, well the blue helm was for the heck of it, but the red helm is a Flesh Eater, while the purple helm is from everyone's favorite punching bag, the Soul Drinkers. I'm making some fluff concerning both for my Crusade's Roll of Victory. Glad you liked it, man.

@Varen: Thanks bro! Just the Rhino to go for my vow, I'm trying my hand at hinging all the doors...should be interesting. And by interesting, I mean a royal pain in my fourth point of contact. :HQ: By the way, who were you with in the 101st?

@Candleshoes: Thank you man! Glad you liked it...more to come....

@Lorgar: Yeah...that's just about right! Thanks for the advice, but now I'm gonna have to actually learn how to use my photo editor, damn you! lol.

Edit: poor spelling...

Heathens, i was with the 3/327 infantry regiment. The 101st are very close to my heart and have a very proud history that i am glad to be part of.

Any plans to make any more Malevolents after the rhino or are you going straight to the Blood Gorgons?

@Goose: The Blood Gorgons will be made, they're just on the back burner for a moment. I want to finish my Malevolents first, and there is also a terrible injustice to right after that...damn you GW and your new fluff! Jerks killed off my very, very first army! I absolutely have to do the Flesh Eaters justice, even in death....I'll explain in a sec...

@Varen: 2/17 Cav...Air Assault, brother...small world, huh? And see above about the Blood Gorgons.

Here's my issue. I came into the hobby about a month before 3rd ed. rulebook came out, but was brought in by an old gamer who had stacks of RT-era and 2nd ed. books, which I loved. When I asked what army I should go with, he threw me his RT and told me "go with what stands out to you". The Flesh Eaters jumped off the page at me. I built a 500 pt army of 'em, but after a few games, I was drawn to the dark side and started playing chaos, with my Flesh Eaters stripped for parts. I've always had a warm spot in my heart for them, but just as a memory. Now, well over a decade later, I recently decided to pick up the BA codex for :) s and giggles....and was horrified of what I read on pg. 54. The Flesh Eaters are no more, "fatally undone by their gene-seed". I was ticked to say the least...a chapter that has been a part of the 40k as long as the Silver Skulls and Crimson Fists, casually executed in a dark alley by GW. Maybe not the first time (Rainbow Warriors, anyone?), but I'm not taking this sitting down. The other problem is that I am a fluff-nut, and am loyal to the fluff given, whether I agree with it or not. But I'm gonna fill in the blanks as I wish, dang it, lol. So I'm going to build a small army (1500 pts) of Flesh Eaters, so I can re-live their final battle over and over again. Nothing but Death Company and Sanguinary Guard, the strong and the lost.

So, here's my idea (vague and unformed as they are)...The entire Chapter was in route to the apocalyptic (blank) warzone, and on the eve of batte, bent themselves to thoughts of prayer and sacrifice with the Chaplains walking the ranks, as is customary. Except this time, instead of a few brothers turning to the black rage, almost the entire chapter began screaming with the red thirst (warpstorm, maybe...) and began slaughtering and devouring each other. The few to keep their sanity (barely), escaped to the strike cruiser Heavenfall and with heavy sorrow in their hearts, laid waste to the rest of the fleet (I'm imagining the rest wouldn't fight back, too busy tearing each others throats out). The few survivors either turned to the black rage, or began showing heavy signs of it, so the Chapter Master decided to follow through with their original mission, and die in the (blank) warzone, so they could at least perish with a modicum of honour before the thirst took them. So, a small but tough army looking for a glorious death before madness takes 'em, not neccessarily looking to win, just trying to take as many of the filth with them before they go....

Sounds good heathens. I say go for it. I to came into the hobby during Rogue Trader. The day i played my first game at my hobby store was during a snow storm and we got snowed in. We played for over 24 hours and it is my greatest memory.

I must admit that i have been tempted to build a small strike force of Flesh Tearers. But i remember the Flesh Eaters also.

By the way, Air Assault, brother.

Oh damn. I didn't know Flesh Eaters were knocked off... Ya know I'm so tired of GW killing off all these great Chapters like Flesh Eaters and Emperors Scythes. It always seems so random to me. Would love to see you do a Blood Gorgon army but hey Flesh Eaters is just as good. Cant wait to see some pics.

Mr. Malevolent, actually the Emperor's Scythes are not destroyed only rebuilding from one company. So they will be out of the fighting for a while, only going hit and run operations like the Crimson Fists. But i know what you are saying about GW killing off alot of chapters.

Brother Styphus, We have pride in our colors and gear, but we are not supplied regularly by the Mechanicus due to purging a heritic forge world. :)

What? No... surely not even GW could be so stupid as to kill off one of (if not The) the most popular BA successors? Are you sure there wasn't a tiny little Teezntch Demon hovering over your head while you read that, warping your thoughts?

I mean, I knew they were only at about 2/4 of normal strength, but killing them off completely is just weird... :)

What? No... surely not even GW could be so stupid as to kill off one of (if not The) the most popular BA successors?

Are you mistaking the Flesh Tearers with the Flesh Eaters? Flesh eaters are the all red guys with a really bad gene-seed, and the Tearers are the buzz sawed BAMFs that even other marines are nervous being around.

What? No... surely not even GW could be so stupid as to kill off one of (if not The) the most popular BA successors?

Are you mistaking the Flesh Tearers with the Flesh Eaters? Flesh eaters are the all red guys with a really bad gene-seed, and the Tearers are the buzz sawed BAMFs that even other marines are nervous being around.

Oh yes... Stupid 'E'. And that 'T' seems to have usurped the place where the 'R' was.

*Goes off to sit in the corner, very quietly*

Hail! *makes salute of Unification* A quick update, working on the last part of my LPC vow, the Rhino. I strolled through this thread to see where I had come from when I started this project, and I suddenly felt like I had lost my original focus. I want these Marines to be rough, torn up, mean, and extremley un-knight like; much like the original Astartes from the RT era, who were mostly indoctrinated thugs and criminals. Sooo...I stopped reading BL for a night, and dug up a few of my favorite movies for some inspiration. I watched 'Platoon', and BAM! Here we go, back on track...um, yes, that's an ork tooth and ear necklace, by the way...

gallery_37532_5399_580704.png

gallery_37532_5399_709275.png

I already hear you guys and gals screaming two questions at me..."What the heck, Heathens, why is an Astartes smoking?!? Marines don't smoke!" Answer: this is an ode to RT-era marines, who as mentioned above, did all sorts of naughty things, including smoking. No, not all these Marines smoke, this single brother just has a taste for cheroot. "Hey Heathens, why is a Rhino gunner carrying a knife?" Answer: No, I didn't fall into the 'drive me closer so I can hit 'em with my sword' syndrome...he's just using it to keep tally...

gallery_37532_5399_323731.png

Yep, that's a kill tally etched into the hull titled "scum". It's been a good day, apparently, lol.

@Styphus: I show my pride by gutting the Emperor's foes, not by polishing my armour, pretty boy... :)

Archived