Glory and Hate! A Marines Malevolent Project

Hyaenidae

Finally found some time to finish these two guys...

gallery_37532_5399_221811.png

gallery_37532_5399_2813351.png

gallery_37532_5399_562101.png

gallery_37532_5399_2065482.png

I'm pretty happy with both of 'em, especially the Rocket Lancher. I had to get over my initial horror of having just butchered my last piece of RT era equipment for the conversion, but I think I did it justice. I'll have some WIP up shortly. Oh, and if anyone's wondering why some of my guys have BA jewels as trophies, I'm running with the idea that my Crusade assisted in the tracking down of a runaway element of the Flesh Eaters after their chapter was disbanded due to genetic instability. Just for kicks :huh:

@Zincite: The wolf parts were a gift from the Christmas before last, they've been sitting in my bitz box the whole year until I started this project. And yeah, the blue stuff is just BlueTac, I like using it to get a certain position in mind for my mini's before I start gluing 'em together.

@Everyone: Thank you for all your comments!

No. Chapters venerate their primarch as a god (demi-or otherwise) more than they do the emperor... even though he signs the paychecks ;)

I'm currently reading First Heretic... seriously, wow!... I think it is SOOOO funny that the bible of the Imperial cult, and most of the religious catechisms were written by a heretic :D

Space Marines actually don't worship their Primarchs or the Emperor as gods, they just venerate them as saviors of humanity. They share genetic code with them, which is why they don't see them as divine.

...Oh, and if anyone's wondering why some of my guys have BA jewels as trophies, I'm running with the idea that my Crusade assisted in the tracking down of a runaway element of the Flesh Eaters after their chapter was disbanded due to genetic instability. Just for kicks :P

Yes, and it saves the bother of having to cut them all off. I learned early on that: 'If you call it camouflage, You can get away with bad painting'. Extend this to Modeling, and you can get away with anything :P

Love the Scholar Brother. :)

Last three guys of the 2nd Tactical Squad. The Sergeant is on the left, the other two guys are standard marines. Can't wait to get these guys done, 'cuz the Dreadnought is next!!! Muhahahaha!!! Take care, ladies and gents.

gallery_37532_5399_93301.png

It is, but that's intentional. I experimented with different lengths for a while, and decided on a hatchet look to it. No one does chain-hatchets, and I've kinda got bored with giant chain axes with my CSM's. Hey, it's a good weapon for ship to ship action, at least. :wub:

Great work man.. I'm really impressed with the poses and the distressed look. Makes them look very fluid and alive :)

As I was looking at them I was thinking it would be cool to see a couple of guys with an even greater extent of damage. Like a pack missing something, a knife broken but no worries, it still stabs 8) .. maybe a missing plate on an arm or leg. Just some thoughts I had when looking through them.

Again, nice work!

Just have too say that i like your models, and the painting, i have one problem though, i have seen many models painted worn and rusted, but as far ass i know, ceramite, used in armour, is a form of ceramic material and should not rust =/... just a thought... =)

anyway the paintjobb and modelling is great =)

No. Chapters venerate their primarch as a god (demi-or otherwise) more than they do the emperor... even though he signs the paychecks :P

I'm currently reading First Heretic... seriously, wow!... I think it is SOOOO funny that the bible of the Imperial cult, and most of the religious catechisms were written by a heretic :P

Space Marines actually don't worship their Primarchs or the Emperor as gods, they just venerate them as saviors of humanity. They share genetic code with them, which is why they don't see them as divine.

I'd say that(for the most part) marine religious views are more in line with ancestor worship than any sort of divine worshi- that's basically what you just said. Damn it.

No. Chapters venerate their primarch as a god (demi-or otherwise) more than they do the emperor... even though he signs the paychecks :P

I'm currently reading First Heretic... seriously, wow!... I think it is SOOOO funny that the bible of the Imperial cult, and most of the religious catechisms were written by a heretic :P

I'd say that(for the most part) marine religious views are more in line with ancestor worship than any sort of divine worshi- that's basically what you just said. Damn it.

Haha =)

@Vairocanum: Forgot to metion thanks for the comments.

@zxyogi: Thanks, brother!

@SincaiN: I'd thought about doing some extreme damage, but I decided against it. I just didn't want to make my guys look to "busy", model-wise, since the paintjob is already pretty heavy-duty. I'm planning on a scratch-built techmarine who will be inspecting damaged plate worn by a dead member of another chapter to still give that battlefield salvage / vulture look though. Also, a LS Storm with metal plates poorly placed over the symbol of the former owners, with spots of the original paintjob showing through. :P Thanks for the thoughts and comments, man!

@Brissebrajan: That topic came up a while back in this thread. I could probably come up with some nutty logic to it (inferior parts, acid rain from a radioactive battlefield full of iron odixe dust having a chemical reaction with the paint, etc), but really, it comes down to two things... 1) I play Fallout 3 waaaay too much, and 2) I'm declaring the "rule of cool". I just like the look, and I'm sticking with it :P . Thanks for the comments, man!

@crimson fisting & ghosty: Also came up earlier in the thread...

And no, the MM won't see the Emperor as God. A noble warrior, and the source of their strength, but not God. After all, It was the Emperor who decreed that their are no Gods, which is another reason why they look down on mortals. The morons are going against their liege's very orders.

In the homemade fluff I'm building for these guys, they believe they are the inheritor of the Great Crusade, and still organize themselves as such and follow the old laws, such as the Nikea Edict (no librarians). Also, they believe the Primarchs are all failures, and have gone to great lengths to abolish all mention of who their Primarch was. So...There are no Gods, psychic powers are bad (only the Emperor, beloved by all, can control such power), mortals have betrayed the Emperor's own laws, and the Primarchs are all failures, even the loyalists. Guilleman (the Half Traitor) broke the Legions and turned the Astartes to a defensive posture, effectivley ending the Great Crusade; Vulkan (the Snake), and Sanguinius (the False Angel) were filthy mutants; Ferrus (the Broken) set his pride before protecting his Father and paid with his life...and on and on. I like to think that the MM simply look for a reason to hate everyone because their own past failures consume them daily. That, and I'm running with the idea that the MM's founder was slightly unhinged in the first place... Please note, this is all in the MM's (in my fluff) head, it's what their convinced of. I'm not trying to hate on anyone's army, just trying to explain why the MM are so full of hatred.

@SincaiN: I'd thought about doing some extreme damage, but I decided against it. I just didn't want to make my guys look to "busy", model-wise, since the paintjob is already pretty heavy-duty. I'm planning on a scratch-built techmarine who will

Cool sounds good.. Was just a few things that I thought of as I was looking through the images. ;) Looking forward to seeing the Techmarine. Keep on keeping on!

@SincaiN: I'd thought about doing some extreme damage, but I decided against it. I just didn't want to make my guys look to "busy", model-wise, since the paintjob is already pretty heavy-duty. I'm planning on a scratch-built techmarine who will...

Cool sounds good.. Was just a few things that I thought of as I was looking through the images. :D Looking forward to seeing the Techmarine. Keep on keeping on!

Just think what a land Raider would look like...

@Brissebrajan: That topic came up a while back in this thread. I could probably come up with some nutty logic to it (inferior parts, acid rain from a radioactive battlefield full of iron odixe dust having a chemical reaction with the paint, etc), but really, it comes down to two things... 1) I play Fallout 3 waaaay too much, and 2) I'm declaring the "rule of cool". I just like the look, and I'm sticking with it :P . Thanks for the comments, man!

haha... 1) Me too, fallout3/new vegas way too much here, 2) I like that rule!! and you should stick to it, it looks cool, and really gives you the sense of a force thats been on campaign for a loooong time! =)

The final three Marines of 2nd Squad...I decided against the Sergeant's bare head, and put a helm on him so I could try out a helmet stripe; Worked out well, I think, really gives him that 'old-skool' feel.

gallery_37532_5399_3062886.png

gallery_37532_5399_16600.png

gallery_37532_5399_597274.png

gallery_37532_5399_1523056.png

Onward to the dreadnought! A side note...I've become quite the fan of Henry Zou's books (Emperor's Mercy and Flesh and Iron) as of late, and have become incredibly fascinated with the Blood Gorgons Chaos Space Marines in his books. I continue to stare at my current CSM's, and I can tell how far my tastes (and my painting and modeling skills) have changed over the last twelve years I've been playing. I've come to a decision, as terrible as it is. I am going to keep my Fallen and Night Lords factions intact, but my first army, the Iron Bound (DIY) are going for a Mean Green bath. They are looking their age, and I'm ready for a change. I also want a Yin to my MM's Yang. So, it's official....

I'm going to build a Blood Gorgon Army... :P

(P.S. After my LPC vow, lol.)

HERETIC!!!!

LOL, i knew it was a matter of time before you showed your true colors.

As always great work on the marines. I like the way to combine different kits to make them unquie.

I haven't read any of Henry Zou's books. Is he good? Meaning he can keep your intrest page by page? Their are some authors that i just can't get past the first few chapters.

:lol: Yeah, traitor blood runs in my veins...chaos was my first army, after all. Thanks for the comments, brother. I first read Zou's short story (and his first work for BL) in 'planetkill', and was pretty impressed. His following books have been awesome in my opinion. He adds a human element that is lacking in many of the recent BL books coming out. You really feel for the characters (even the short lived ones), and can understand their emotions. I'd easily rate his Bastion Wars series up there with Abnett's Eisenhorn and Gaunt's Ghost series. Oh snap, I went there!

P.S. Sorry about not getting back on the fluff yet, bro. Snapped an ankle during a jump, been hopped up on percosets until today. :rolleyes: I'll get back to ya soon. Just to let you know, I wasn't trying to justify our Founder's actions, just give a little of his back story and clarify that Mikal was a spiritual leader, where Daesus was the actual first Lord Commander of the Marines Malevolent, if only a puppet for Mikal's ambitions...

Dang it, probably should've put this pic up earlier. As proof of my LPC vow, this is the entire 10-man squad (crappy pic, sorry). I have yet to finish a Rhino and a converted Venerable Dreadnought to complete my vow. -sigh- On to the Dread....I'm gonna go grab my saw...

gallery_37532_5399_1618102.png

I understand, chaos was my first army also. It was Night Lords and Iron Warriors. So i feel your pain, lol. The Malevolents will be my first loyal army.

Great Squad picture, heathens. Look forward to the fluff when you have time.

Hope you start feeling better soon, brother.

Archived