Glory and Hate! A Marines Malevolent Project

Hyaenidae

Just the first notions that came to my head, but you could do regular helmets, just complete black with a white skull overlaid on top of it. It'd look great (see Night Lords) but they'd possibly come across more as terror markings than a somber death mask. Which I guess could work but may not be the direction you were looking to take them.

The other thing I thought of was something else I've seen done, the robed DA heads with the actual helmets beneath painted black as though the hood is pulled far enough forward to shadow out their faces. It'd work more like what you were wanting, playing up the whole nameless spectres of vengeance and all that, but again, still might not be what you're looking for. Anyway, just the first two thoughts that came to mind, looking forward to more great work regardless of what you decide on.

I like the Death masks idea but I think it would look cool if they were more featureless than the Blood Angels ones. Like maybe no mouths. I don't know if you've ever read the Chronicles of the Raven or Legends of the Raven (I've never met anyone who has..) but they have these elite warriors who have no identity and all wear featureless metal masks that only have eye holes and fight with bigass axes.

Anyway, these MM Elite you're describing always reminded me of them when I thought of it so it might work. Just like file away the mouths and a bit off the nose to make it less defined. I wish I had a picture to show what I meant :devil: other than that, though, everything sounds really cool, like the leather straps and everything. Can't wait!

@Goose: Remember this badass from 'Gladiator'?

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae106/derickreese86/gladiator_mask.jpg

This is kinda what I was thinking, minus the lion helm, and rusted, pitted iron instead of polished steel. "We who are about to die, salute you, my Emperor!" I kinda like the 'featureless' mask idea Goose, but at the same time, I want to keep true to the roman basis of the funerary mask. Basically, relatives would wear masks in the deceased family member's image...in this case, the Emperor. Yep. Told you my guys were arrogant as all get-out, lol. There's another reason for this imagery, but you're all gonna have to wait until my Chaplain gets made. Heh heh heh...

@Nephilim: I'd actually thought about the painted skulls, but it just reeked of Night Lords, which I have a few of. A shared battlefield would have been a little uncomfortable, lol. As for the hoods, I've seen this idea before too, but it's just not for me. Thanks for all your help, man!

@Olis: Hmm...the problem there is my fluff so far has my Malevolents as one of the last, if not the last, element in the Imperium that still follows the Imperial Truth. A top-half mask is too similar to those redemptionist Emperor-worshiping nutjobs, and a bottom-half mask would look like the Blood Pact. My homemade fluff has these guys using a lot of ancient Terran traditions since they have disowned the primarchs, even their own gene-father, and have destroyed all trace of their lineage. They are convinced that if the Primarchs had never been found, the galaxy would be united under the Imperium, no problem. So they use many of the traditions of the original Terran Marines. Like I said, arrogant as hell, lol. Tradition is one thing, worship another. Cool idea though! Thanks, bro!

I think I'm gonna run with the rusty steel funerary mask strapped to their faces, the black votive cloth over company markings, and two coins hanging from their necks (a nod to myself using quite a few greek names in my army). Thanks for all your help, guys! -Sigh- Pardon me, I got some serious greenstuff work to do...

Awesome work on the scouts as usual .. :)

I felt the same way about the bikes as I thought they look so goofy, here I am sitting all upright on this bike like on a joy ride instead of rounds flying past their heads. I mod'd up three bikes myself going with an Akira Skid look, tucked speed look and a jumping look. I unfortunatly haven't finshed them yet as I jump around so damn much haha but here are a few pics ..

DSC02567.JPG

DSC02537.JPG

And for the Sternguard maybe go with some DA and BT bits, Robes and the such but make all the faces blacked out so they are shrouded and hidden. When I was picking a SM army it was really hard not to go with the DAs, to me they have some of the best models in the SM line but my friend plays DA and didn't want to run the same army. But no matter what I think the robes give the model a ominus quality. Monk like, a serious feel that they are not just your normal marine and that they mean buisness. I bashed a squad of Sternguard and made a few Sang Priests with the parts of DA, SG and DC. And I was actually thinking about making his face shadowed but went against it as I didn't think that was the feel of the Sang Priest but I think it would come out looking very cool as a "shrouded" figure. Take your cerimoinal robes and be inducted.

Here's a pic of the SPriest just imagine the face all shadowed ...again not finished but almost haha

sangpriest%20001.JPG

I hope the ideas are helpful .. keep up the awesome work man..

I kinda like the iron mask with straps-idea. I also think I agree with goose that the mouth should be filed away or something like that, to make them even more badass. Hope it works out well for you.

- Natanael

Those Scouts look great. Did they need a lot of sculpt work/repositionning/bitz? Also, where did you get those heads, they look very characterful but I've never seen them.

Ludovic

@Ludovic: Less sculptwork (mostly gap filling in the ankles and hips) but there was a moderate amount of repositioning and pretty much every scout bit in the LS Storm box short of the driver and gunner. The heads (and Scout Sgt power fist) were from the Cadian/Catachan Command Squad boxes, with the goofy bandanas gently shaved off. And thank you for the comments, bro!

And here we go; First up is the Vengance Squad marine...

gallery_37532_5399_497398.png

gallery_37532_5399_206937.png

I think the funerary mask turned out pretty well, but I need to practice some more with sculpting hair. But hey, that's what this project is all about, pushing myself above and beyond, right? I might also try out plasticard straps for the mask next time, and figure out which looks better. I really do think that He'll look a little better with some paint...here's hoping, lol. The funerary coins for Charon are purity seals, with the paper cut off, then a piece of wire stripped from a guitar wire. The bolter is a bit fancier than the equipment used by the rest of my army, a nod towards Vengance squads being allowed to draw whatever the hell they need from the Armoury to exact revenge upon a marked Chapter foe. I might switch out the chainsword for a knife or an empty hand, as I'm not sure I want my first try at these guys being my Sergeant. Alright, next is the first biker...

gallery_37532_5399_864679.png

Pretty standard, but I tried to make it look like he was skidding (thanks for the inspiration, SincaiN!) to slow down a notch before chucking a grenade into an enemy squad. When I base him, I'll make sure to make it look like he's actually skidding too. I'm gonna add some extra equipment on his bike, to make it look like he's been on mission for a while. Now, the first termie...

gallery_37532_5399_412966.png

I tried to blend some parts, to make him look like his armour has been salvaged again and again, and incorperate a number of older pieces. I also used the CSM Hvy Flamer, as it looks more Heresy era. Nothing too special, but he'll be cool. Last Termie...

gallery_37532_5399_280792.png

Ever since I recieved the CSM Raptor Champ, I've wanted to do this, lol. I'm waiting on my Maxmini order to come in with the pre-heresy termie shoulder pads, thus why he doesn't have any yet.

As always, C&C is welcome. Thanks for all your help and comments guys!

Nice conversions, very individual. Straps for the next funerary (funerial?) is something I'd quite like to see. Something else for you to try, eh? :tu:

Good start on all of them ... I think the Vengence guy looks good, yeah sometimes the bashed up guys look crazy when you are looking at plastic this, metal that and green stuff here and there but I'm sure your paint will fix that haha.. Cool, glad an idea helped out :)

Only thing I'd say is replace the Flamer Termies Sword with something bigger maybe an axe or glaive. The sword looks so small to me haha .. probably just because the flamer is a monster. Really like the LClaws guy, looks like he's about to sway something.

Looking good man!

looking good bro!

i love the flamer guy, and i think he doesn't need a bigger close combat weapon, because he'll only need it to scrape burned bits of his enemies of his armour :)

only thning i don't like, is the coins on the vengeance squad marine. the guitar wire looks to rigid to me. i'd try to greenstuff it or try some thread or yarn to hang the coins from.

keep it up :P

See brother you didn't even need to worry if your idea would come across on the death mask models as the final product clearly show what you are going for. They look amazing, from the way you converted the masks themselves, to the little necklace with the coins. So awesome!

Mr.Malevolent

I like the Emperor's Death Mask idea, a lot. It's really cool man. However, that's not gonna stop me from making a Vengeance Squad marine with a featureless mask for myself cuz I'd really like to see how it'd turn out :lol: I hope you don't mind!

Anyway, the biker and twin PF Terminators look really good, but I'm not completely sold on the flamer termie. I actually think it's that power sword arm, it's so damn static; I never really liked it. The vengeance marine also looks almost a bit plain. I think he needs a bit more bling, have you considered a laurel wreath around his head?

For the rest though, it's awesome! Looking forward to more :ph34r:

@Mr. Malevolent: Thank you, brother! Much appreciated!

@Goose: I see what you're saying, but I didn't want to bling-ify these guys too much, to keep with the fluff I'm making. These brothers have abandoned all their past victories, history, even their names and life itself, so that they can be a physical reprisentation of the Emperor Hatred. Due to that, they have burned or destroyed all of their trophies and oaths of moment. In exchange, they recieve their funerary mask and coins to take to the afterlife, as well as the right to any weapons they need to prosecute their death-oath. Their weapons will be very bling (stolen and aquired from various sources), but other than that, they are still warriors in a Chapter that conducts piracy to stay alive, and whose armour look like hell. I don't want to break away from that final point, as I feel that it will detract from the overall feel of my army. As for that flamer Termie...yeah, I agree. I'll do some chopping, and repost a new idea tonight. Thanks for the comments and constructive critisism, bro!

Edit: Goose, check your mail, PM'ed you back. Enjoy the fluff, dude.

Ah right I had forgotten about the whole giving up their past glories and victories, makes sense.

Like, blinglessness is cool but I still think the laurel wreath would look good to add something to the mask, which at the moment just looks, I dunno, unfinished somehow. And it wouldn't get in the way of the fluff. The Emperor is almost always depicted with one and it ties in with their Greek and Roman background, being victors and the best of the best.

Course, feel free to ignore this B)

Great stuff, man, absolutely top-notch.

Concerning the flamer Terminator, though, I don't think there's a discrepancy between weapons. The model's overall focus is on his heavy flamer, not his power weapon. In my opinion, the sword works just fine because it doesn't hog the limelight.

Heathens, you know I love your work man and I'm always trying to be supportive so please allow me alittle honesty time.

Your vengeance marine just looks silly and rather unveteran-like death mask just looks awkward on him and the added hair makes that awkwardness even worse.

He's somewhat plain to be honest. He has one necklace around his neck but the rest of him is so basic. He looks like any other normal marine.

Your biker looks like any other basic biker however the terminators are coming along rather nicely. I can't give a full opinion on your claw terminator. not sure how I feel about him yet but I'll be sure to let you know what i think when he's done.

I gotta head in to work now so I can't give my my ideas for what you could do for your vengeance marines until later, but I will.

Later bro. Keep up the good work.

@Noctis: -Sigh-...y'know, the more I look at him, the more I have to agree. The problem I'm running into is creating a veteran unit in an army that carries very little in the way of decoration, and still making them stand out. I've really put some time and research into the funerary mask though, so here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna scrape off the hair, and give that a shot another time. I really did do poorly on the hair, but I wanted to give it a shot at least. The leather straps didn't work out as well as I hoped, so I'm gonna scrape them off as well, and use plasicard strips instead. I'll also shave down the pipes/tubes on the sides of the mask; I honestly think that might be adding to the wonkyness, and I'm trying to go more for a plain beaten steel mask look, not a high tech piece of equipment. If it still looks a bit wrong, I'll try Goose's idea and shave off the mouth, and make the nose less defined. Then I'm gonna paint just the head, and see if that improves it. I'll either carry on, or scrap the idea at that point. The necklace is pretty much stuck, that sucker is glued darn well and isn't going anywhere. Hey, I'll take any ideas I can get, but I'm still a bit restricted a bit by my fluff, please keep that in mind. Also, technically, this fella isn't a vet per se...he's a volunteer from a line squad, sacrificing his life for revenge. Such volunteers are taken in the middle of a warzone, so there isn't a lot of time to dress 'em up 'purty', plus the MM armoury is a bit empty (Hell, I got guys wearing Mk. I plate...that's a bad sign for a Chapter, lol). I was imagining they'd wear the same armour they wore before their oath. Meh...I'm just not sure man. Thanks for the constructive critisism, brother, but I may just ditch the Sternguard for a while, until my creative juices start flowing again...

As for the Termie with the claws, I think he'll look great after he gets those shoulderpads...problem is, they're comng from Poland to the States, so it might still be a week or more. I'm confident he'll work out though.

And to anyone still reading this, I'll take any idea for the bikers. I'm running into a creative brick wall trying to make them look better... :whistling:

Archived