NL's 8th [upd: 22.8.2014]

DarkVen

Whenever you decide to return, Dan, your mantel is waiting. And I am personally waiting too.

the entire purpose of Ven and I's work has been to secretly act like a dark ritual in order to summon you back to the mortal realm...

What's up with that 100 imperial slaves we decided to sacrifice in a gory ritual last week btw?

I'm pretty sure you've been silently making blood aquilas out of all the other guys making logs

You better not turn off light tonight... ;)

Sorry guys for such a pause, I just lost track of time. Spawns and chosen are still in progress, painting is going so sloooooooooooooooowly... I will probably post them in a week or two, as I finish all the details and such.

Nevertheless, wanted to ask you - what do you think about my warband's leader?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-X3XzbdokoQQ/UfFSV4dn-dI/AAAAAAAAAPQ/zaQTEzuCJE0/s1600/Azanael_WIP_3-3.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-L2IcAEokhiQ/UfFSajiJK6I/AAAAAAAAAPY/8hngz_BGwSQ/s1600/Azanael_WIP_3-4.jpg

Since last time he hasn't too much attention (if any), so maybe someone could say something about this conversion?

It's hanging like on the last 4 pics, under his hands.

But what would you add, Heinrich, if it would be your conversion?

hmmm that's a tough one, I like the cloak better from his waist, if I had to add anything it would probably be some trophies of some kind, either on chains, or even gripped in his fist. He's a lord after all, so he should have killed some pretty intense dudes across the galaxy. Not saying to go overboard, but couple trophies would just make it. Also, are you planning on painting a death mask on him?

Brother Heinrich

Well I switched the type of cloak because I thought, if it was over his hands - then they were almost 100% hidden.

That's a good point about trophies, I'll try that :) not sure about what 'death mask' is - skull-stylized helmet? If yes, I'm not entirely sure. I have painted and cleaned him already, and the version of the skull-mask wasn't that great.

Brother Chaplain Kage

Ok then, I'll add some trophies (maybe even incorporated in his armor) :)

mikhail

I would like to add some trophies he could earn previously, but since he fought only a Great Unclean one once... well, it will be a little bit though to make a decision what trophy he will have.

Brother Heinrich

Well I switched the type of cloak because I thought, if it was over his hands - then they were almost 100% hidden.

That's a good point about trophies, I'll try that smile.png not sure about what 'death mask' is - skull-stylized helmet? If yes, I'm not entirely sure. I have painted and cleaned him already, and the version of the skull-mask wasn't that great.

Brother Chaplain Kage

Ok then, I'll add some trophies (maybe even incorporated in his armor) smile.png

mikhail

I would like to add some trophies he could earn previously, but since he fought only a Great Unclean one once... well, it will be a little bit though to make a decision what trophy he will have.

I didn't catch his backstory but he must have fought other opponents besides a greater demon to be armed in terminator armor and lead a war band. He could have the helmet of a memorable kill, the former war band leader or his first loyalist cc kill. The skull of a human that he tortured for a particularly long time or in some particularly inventive way. A former servant's head as a reminder to his thrall pilot that he doesn't like being last to the drop zone. He is a Night Lord so "Honor Trophies" have no meaning for them, "Terror Trophies" would be more appropriate I think.

mikhail

Well I meant the trophies he really got on the table during one of the missions :) I agree with you, there are many possible trophies for a Night Lord leader to earn...

Kol_Saresk

That's a cool idea! I will probably use it.

If I got you right then I must make you glad and say that his cloak is now under his shoulders (2nd version, the one what is primed on the pics).

Because of you guys I have almost painted spawns. And now I will go to bed, as it's 1:30 AM here <_<

Whenever you decide to return, Dan, your mantel is waiting. And I am personally waiting too.

the entire purpose of Ven and I's work has been to secretly act like a dark ritual in order to summon you back to the mortal realm...

What's up with that 100 imperial slaves we decided to sacrifice in a gory ritual last week btw?

I'm pretty sure you've been silently making blood aquilas out of all the other guys making logs

You better not turn off light tonight... ;)

Sorry guys for such a pause, I just lost track of time. Spawns and chosen are still in progress, painting is going so sloooooooooooooooowly... I will probably post them in a week or two, as I finish all the details and such.

Nevertheless, wanted to ask you - what do you think about my warband's leader?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-X3XzbdokoQQ/UfFSV4dn-dI/AAAAAAAAAPQ/zaQTEzuCJE0/s1600/Azanael_WIP_3-3.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-L2IcAEokhiQ/UfFSajiJK6I/AAAAAAAAAPY/8hngz_BGwSQ/s1600/Azanael_WIP_3-4.jpg

Since last time he hasn't too much attention (if any), so maybe someone could say something about this conversion?

"C'mon then...I dare you punk"

Awesome model fella

He's awesome. I will speak frankly though. he looks Humble, if that makes any sense. The rest of your stuff is bonkers, and kitbashed and imagined in brilliant beautiful detail. This guy looks like a rank and file/champ for one of your termi squads. he does have an imposing presence, but he doesn't stand out as a centerpiece. I think the poised look is awesome, but it has to be couches in such a way as to draw the eye. A bigger base, or some other standout presence. 

Without changing a whole lot, I would relocate his left arm. I love the curled fist, there's a lot of depth to that (perhaps rotate it so that the palm is facing upwards, makes him look less lethal, but more authoritative, transcendent) but the other could be in the classic beckoning pose, or a point, or the classic ,grasping the battle in the palm of his hand, while his troops pour past him, look. 

trophies are big. Maybe some abbadon/termi esque skulls on poles, or perhaps if they fanned out behind him a bit from his shoulders and back. Just brainstorming. 

Love the cloak in the new position. 

You've got this. Do what feels right

Hmmm, interesting, I entirely get where Dan is coming for but let's see it finished, I have often found that a miniature I was not happy with during build came together during paint.

Of course 49% of the time the problems with the build were still there during paint, which led to a toxic bath, tear down and re-build!

But hey, your mini!

And sorry to Hijack the thread but question to Dan, how do you like GW stealing your SAW bolter design on the Sternguard Vets? ;)

You've got this. Do what feels right

Wow Dan that's about the highest praise it think you could give.

But on the subject to the lord as several people have said, that helm is awesome the cloak looks much better off the arms and the right fist is fantastic. His left arm though isn't quite right I personally liked the left arm on the earlier version better. It just looks more naturalistic to me.

• 1 month later...

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gentlemen!

It's been a while. I just wanted to update thread to show that I live and to share my plans with you.

I went off my schedule. I haven't much time to paint and/or convert since last update, mainly because of new academic year. And me being lazy. And also being bad at efficient planning. Oh well, so it goes. But here is my ignition:

I, DarkVen, answer the Call of Chaos and vow to complete 6 units - 5 of chaos terminators, 1 warpsmith, 1 chaos defiler, 20 of chaos cultists, 20 of plaguebearers and 1 herald of Nurgle - before January 15th 2014. I promise to update my project at least three times per unit pledged or face the wrath of the Dark Gods! If I do this successfully I will receive the Mark of Dark Glory and continue on the path to ruin. If I fail I’ll wear the Mark of the Lost and I expect no mercy on my soul!

n.b.: I would have added a few more units, if they weren't either posted previously or pretty much done already.

In other words, I have 6 units to finish before mid-January. These are:

- second burax unit (terminators)/expansion of my first burax unit;

- war(p)smith;

- defiler daemon engine;

- crowd of cultists;

- herd of plaguebearers;

- shepherd of Nurgle;

and more:

- 5 raptors;

- 5 damned (chosen);

- 5 nightmares (spawns);

- Predator;