NL's 8th [upd: 22.8.2014]

DarkVen

Tanith Ghost

Be sure, I am smile.png

About shoulder pads - nah, they aren't that big, tbh. They can be done more massive - the way I'd like the model to see. Like a big overpowered tank.

Greyall

Thanks man. Looks like I'm going to rebuild the captain one last time, I will try out a bit more massive shoulder pads as you suggest. Beside few other decorative things.

Give me 48 hours guys.

Ok, here's my first update for burax and Nurgle's herd:

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1051/09em.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1415/8164.jpg

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7499/zfv3.jpg

As you can see, termies and plaguebearers are just plain unconverted stuff. They will be modified before finish, obviously, one way or another. The only point of interest might probably be the herald, but he is also far from done.

Burax will be finished by this weekend, I think, along with redone burax' champ.

Tomorrow I will post few other things that I got into.

DV

Ok, two last updates were a bit off my usual pic-spam style, this time I'll try to reload my working process properly.

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gentlemen! smile.png

I asked for 48 hours, here I am.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/6600/ioo1.jpg

Here is the 4th and final (no-matter-wat) incarnation of my Chaos Lord named Azanael. Despite lack of actual ornamentation I have almost every detail in my head, and I will realize them as accurate as I can. Still I have few questions for you guys, answering which you might actually help me out:

1. Pose. What do you think about his pose? Menacing/imperious/bulky etc? I was trying to make him look both agressive, triumphal and authoritative.

2. What could possibly be on the back of the claw (his right hand)? I'm leaning currently towards clasp-scythe, but maybe you have any suggestions?

3. What do you say about his 'tabard' and chain behind it? Does it look like an actual cloth over chain? I'm kinda thinking about reworking that, but if it looks ok already then I'll leave it as it is.

4. Should I add some kind of collar like the ones cataphractii have? On one hand this suit of terminator armor is heavy customized and must be not only suitable for a captain of the days of Heresy, but also offer mximum protection. On the other hand, the helmet stands out too much for a collar to add and not spoil details of the helmet.

And I remind you: this is just a sneak-pic right over my shoulder. Be sure the model itself will look different once it will be finished.

Moving on to the vehicle fleet that I'm currently working on:

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1826/fdek.jpg

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/6939/ji90.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6840/kzb2.jpg

I got this Baneblade few years ago and it actually was painted by my friend. Yet I'm thinking about switching it's colors to black-blue and red palette that will correspond with my renegades. The tank itself offers plenty of flat and clean areas to paint, so be expecting lots and lots of freehands from my side.

And last, but not least, two other units that I'm working on for the next campaign battle:

Oldschool Chaos raptors:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2329/1ux3.jpg

After the last chaos release these are just my favourite models in the entire csm model range. They doesn't look like just mutated loyal assault marines that broke bad - these are their actual doppelgangers, Chaos-twins that have similar equipment and absolutely different look. Painting these will be... oh, I feel like I'm about to start with them right after, lol.

And this update finalizes the damned champion (sorry, picture of primed miniature only). I changed his pose and some bits to make him look like a proper leader of the damned marines in my warband:

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/4593/5ux7.jpg

Wait for more!

Stay tuned,

DV

p.s.: Sorry for crappy pictures guys, something went wrong with my camera. I promise to fix that next time.

Wow, i didnt think the lord could get much better. About the tabard, the chainmail looks awesome but the cloth looks a bit flat. Love the general look though. This might be my favorite plog on bnc btw. You've really got your own style, there are many talanted people here but not many have a style that's instantly recognizable

Ok, two last updates were a bit off my usual pic-spam style, this time I'll try to reload my working process properly.

Here is the 4th and final (no-matter-wat) incarnation of my Chaos Lord named Azanael. Despite lack of actual ornamentation I have almost every detail in my head, and I will realize them as accurate as I can. Still I have few questions for you guys, answering which you might actually help me out:

1. Pose. What do you think about his pose? Menacing/imperious/bulky etc? I was trying to make him look both agressive, triumphal and authoritative.

2. What could possibly be on the back of the claw (his right hand)? I'm leaning currently towards clasp-scythe, but maybe you have any suggestions?

3. What do you say about his 'tabard' and chain behind it? Does it look like an actual cloth over chain? I'm kinda thinking about reworking that, but if it looks ok already then I'll leave it as it is.

4. Should I add some kind of collar like the ones cataphractii have? On one hand this suit of terminator armor is heavy customized and must be not only suitable for a captain of the days of Heresy, but also offer mximum protection. On the other hand, the helmet stands out too much for a collar to add and not spoil details of the helmet.

And I remind you: this is just a sneak-pic right over my shoulder. Be sure the model itself will look different once it will be finished.

1. Awesome pose captures the fact he is in charge and still says "bring it on".

2. Maybe The night lords symbol but the teeth of the skull extending to the knuckles possibly a bit tacky looking?

3.The only thing id change is near the bottom of the chain-mail tabard the links look non existent and it should be roughed up with holes and a scraggy bottom like links are missing.

4.Maybe not a full gorget. But with a split so the sides of the head are covered.

Other than that loving the small touches like the piping, the knee joint and lancet style exhausts things on the back and base is awesome.

The Lord is gorgeous. I think he needs a cloak just to bulk out the silhouette that much more, but the detail you've got on the back is pretty fantastic. The pistons in the lightning claws are brilliant. As to your questions:

1. The pose is very "Come at me bro!" It works.

2. Personally I'd just mirror the triple-chainblade you have on the other arm. I'm not sure what you mean by "clasp-scythe"

3. Tabard looks great, although the chainmail does look a bit flat at the very bottom.

4. That helmet is awesome and covering it up would be a crime, but his torso does need something. Have you considered carrying the bat-wings down along the sides? I wouldn't have them quite meet in the middle, just have them start small on either side of his head and then build up to the full wings on his back.

great new incarnation brother!

1. loving the pose, don't change it!

2. not a fan of the three chainblade things on his fist, but curious what you mean by clasp scythebiggrin.png

3. i agree with above posters about the chainmail on the bottom. the cloth above it looks nice, more like leather than cloth, but cool nonetheless!

4. how about a spiked collar for the gorget, something like the ring of teeth in the helbrute kit maybe.

keep up the great work!

Wow.

Many thanks for your support guys! It's the thing that always keeps me away from abandoning my army.

Maximvs

Captain will have flayed skin cloak, no worries. But maybe this will also work with his tabard... I need to think about that.

ElDuderino

Thank you! :) Yeah, tabard is a bit flat, but actually that was my intention. It makes tidier look without making it untouched.

Squeaky

Good remarks, that's a good point about symbol-claw. Got to think about that.

RazakelXIII

Speaking of which, he will have his cloak, decoration and all that kind of stuff wink.png and yep, the lord will look actually bulky, rather than ordinary terminators that sometimes seem to be just bigger scale.

2. No way, his right hand is a lightning claw, and the left one - a chainfist. I though to represent that by adding some details, but currently I don't know what to do. As for explanation for the clasp-scythe, I thought of single curved 'claw' that pops out of body of the glove.

4. This guy will have wings, but not on his chest. The front plate will have some additional wiring, some ornamentation and the number of the legion in front.

Wicced

2. That's the best chainfist design I got so far, without making it look like a chainblade randomly attached to power fist.

'Clasp-scythe', to my mind, is a single curved claw that pops out of the glove. I would like to make it somewhat similar with a butterfly knife.

3. I will fix that, no worries.

4. That's actually great idea. It will definitely work.

Thanks again guys! I will post progress on him and terminators on Sunday. Until then,

Stay tuned!

DV

1. Change nothing. That pose is menacing, arrogant, and haughty. Like he believes, really, truly believes nothing in the universe can touch him.

2. Hrm. Tough one. I'm going to second the VIII legion winged skull, with long fangs. Like, long enough to punch with.

3. As above. Just fix the tabard edge.

4. Fanged maw. Like, all the way round, if possible. If not, just the top edge.

Looking awesome, Ven, you've really outdone yourself. Azanael is amazing. Really looking forward to seeing him finished.

That helm is awesome! And you always get some great powerfists, great grasping hands.

Hmm...how about envolping the powerfist in chains with hooks in their ends? Place the hooks in a way that'd allow them to function as a weapon if the lashed out with his hand. Kind of hard to do, maybe.

i like greyall's wrapped in chains idea!

@chainfist, my main points of critique are that the blades are on the back of the glove, which would make it rather awkward to use in combat i think.  and i feel the hand looks a little overburdened. i'd just go with the beautiful claws you built and ditch the chainblades for some decoration.  you could use the legion symbol on one fist and wrap the other in chains like greyall suggested.

death given form

Many thanks :) 

2. Yeah, I'm leaning towards combining this pullout scythe concept and skull decoration. Should look interesting when finished.

4. I like that concept. I think I will combine your design with the one Wicced has offered and a small collar with moderate spines. This will keep the overall theme unified and will add much detail to the miniature.

Greyall

Thanks man. I should say that your illustrations have been a source of inspiration for this miniature.

About chains on one of the gauntlents: that could work, but I want to keep the design wealthy without 'bijouterie' with bits where it is possible. Both chainfist and lightning claw will have their decoration that shall act pompous if not excess. Additional chains would be overkill. Also chains with hooks look brutal, but to my mind they will get stuck in flesh with the first strike, that will be annoying during battle. The chains and trophies will appear in other places (like shoulder pads and cloak).

Wicced

The blades have such design that if the fist is squeezed, it acts like a chained knuckle. On the other hand, bracer is large enough to be a small shield (if theoretically needed).

The lightning claw and the chainfist must be still recognizable as weapon types, that's why I want to work with (respectively) a scythe and a saw first, and then incorporate these things into ornamentation.

1. I like the pose, though it might just be camer angle but it looks like hes leaning back slightly. 

4. Looks fine, though, why not make the cloth into flayed skin? Just GS some stitch lines onto it, would be very fitting I think.

Really nice work though.

Proud to be the tiniest source for your awesome minis, Ven. =)

Let me try this for the Lightning Claws, then.

Take the Night Lords symbol:

http://redelf.h12.ru/p/w40k/ia/w40k_ia_nl_symbol.jpg

For this purpose, ditch the chaos star. So, put the symbol on the back of the Power Fist.

Now, fold the outermost half of the wings so that they detach from the Fist.

Extend said part of the wings beyond the fingers. There, two instant lightning claws. Adorn both the wingclaws and skull with cables so the 'Power' part is evident.

So, it would look like this from the side:

gallery_59572_5963_22001.png

Done in the hurriest of hurries.

Killer work man. i love the new pose, and the details in the claws. The whole things screams lord/general and is a fitting tribute towards your lord.

1. Pose is wonderful. I love the open curled claws, and the one foot triumphantly striding forwards. Awesome foundation.

2. Wings are always good. My vote would be wings with a stylized company numeral. The claws are good enough as CCW's and you don't want to take away from the lethality of those by adding more weapons on the back of them. Badge of office in my opinion.

3. I don't think a collar in front of his helm would work. On the sides and top would be awesome though. Kind of like the cowl for my dreadnaught. The whole thing about the ancient termi armor like you were saying is that it offered maximum protection. A big shelved collar/cowl would make him look more gothic as well, and probably frame the helmet nicely if you pulled it off.

4. mixed these two up. The tabard is awesome. I'd add some trinkets or a token in the front to break the dead space up a bit, or during painting you can add some details to one side of the tabard to mess with the balance.

I hate to even suggest replacing those pistons, but have you thought about doing the chain fist like the one that Tyberos has? Obviously just on the one fist, but instead of having the chain blades on the top of the fist, work them into the palm.

I haven't seen anyone else suggest it, although I may have missed it. You may even be able to work out some way to keep the pistons, maybe just replace the inner most with the chain blades. Either way, love this guy. Keep up the good work.

I'm going to be perfectly honest in that I much preferred the last helmet rendition. Don't get me wrong, this one is awesome too, but I just think that last one had a much more brutal feel to it. Just me.

The rest of the model looks great though.

Hail Brother! Awesome work with Azanael, as for your questions:

1. Pose. Is. Awesome. I love the whole "come at me bro" feel, gonna be great in games when he faces down enemy commanders and murders them.

2. I would say some stylized wings or possibly armor studs. You could also work a firearm of some kind into it as well, like a meltagun/plasmagun/flamer.

3. The cloth over chainmail looks great, I would make the edge of the chainmail more ragged though. it's too neat and square at the moment.

4. His helmet is awesome so don't do anything that will block the work you've done there, however you could raise the sides of his collar possibly for added protection.

I wish we didn't live on opposite ends of the world, it'd be an honor to have Hashec and the 15th march alongside Azanael and the 8th in midnight clad.

Greyall

I follow you here. But to my mind the legion symbol on the entire claw would be just too much, whereas I want to add some small details here and there. Also legion symbol seems to be too important to be on only one claw - and I have reserved place for it already.

Btw you have painted the side of the claw just as I had imagined it when I had spoken about 'clasp-scythe'.

Dan The Deamon

I'm glad you like him :)

2. That's a good remark about 'cheap' additions to the miniature (if I understand you correctly), will keep that in mind. Let me clarify my intension though. I was about to make additional tricky weapon that pops out right after initial blow and strikes in an arc, raising the chance of a hit. Easy (it would be powered just by a spring) and deadly (I'm sure that such an additional strike will do much damage, if not cut a victim in half). This detail would also definite that his right hand is the claw, and his left hand is the chainfist.

As for company numeral, it will be on his chest plate, and I don't want double that detail on the miniature.

3. I think I will put his helmet back a little bit and make small frame instead of big collar, small enough not to hide major part of his helmet and offer additional protection for his neck.

4. Yes, I will actually add some trophies and chaos related trinkets just for the sake of great justice.

Cheddybob

Actually, I was hoping not to evoke any associations with Tyberos since they have much in common (speaking of equipment). Otherwise it could be a nice concept.

noctus cornix

It was too big to my mind. This version is actually much closer to the initial concept. I will also add some details to his helmet, so maybe it will look a bit nicer :)

Brother Heinrich

Thanks for you reply Heinrich!

I see that a big collar will spoil the overall look, but I just can't resist the urge to make it. Oh well, I will try to make small frame around his helmet. There will be one significant bit on his helmet though, which will represent sigil of corruption. I just hope no one will complain about it when I post progress on Sunday sweat.gif

Oh yeah, it would make great intersection! But perhaps, one day...

Fair enough. If I learned anything in the corps, it was that even a whole mess of people thinking together can miss the most obvious answer. But I do understand trying to steer clear of looking like loyalist, especially given that you're one of them night lord guys.

Archived