Fists! Fists. Definitely the Fists. I'd advise that you look up Hyaenidae's stuff for inspiration, brother. :happy.:

Hyaenidae never did Fists :P

I mean he did do that one model. And then nothing else. I can't remember who the guy was that did all the fist stuff... what as his name, Rohr?

Fists! Fists. Definitely the Fists. I'd advise that you look up Hyaenidae's stuff for inspiration, brother. :happy.:

Hyaenidae never did Fists :tongue.:

:facepalm:

You're quite right. It was you and Darth Potato Tyrannicide that did Fists. Hyaenidae was the Iron Warriors. And, conveniently, the link for it is in your sig. 

So you're looking to have a considerable amount of troops built by October, before the course?

I totally get you're a huge fan of the Emperor's Children, but would suggest waiting until they receive the Thousand Sons treatment in 40k. You know GW is going to deliver. With DG around the corner it only makes sense that the EC and Slaanesh are next in line. Chances of them coming out before October are probably pretty slim, though.

Honestly, I would love to see you tackle a loyalist legion. There's something about the loyalists that have always been a challenge in my mind. For whatever reason I feel like they lack that unmistakable aesthetic quality that many of the traitors possess.

I'll put my vote behind the Imperial Fists boarding force or Raven Guard survivors. Either would be killer to see in your style. The fact that you have one of the simplest recipes for yellow, and how amazing the end result is should be a consideration. I tried to replicate it and failed miserably, lol.

Any idea when you'll be starting your next project?

I would either go for the Blackshields or the Sons of Horus.

Blackshields offer A LOT of possibilities in that you can paint them in whatever colour scheme you want, you can convert them to look like mutants, more ragged, with weirder weapons, etc... And they have a lot of cool playstyle options, from dropping the whole army from deep strike to running a bunch of frenzied berserkers. Overal they're pretty different to any other Astartes army so, seeing how many legions you've made, maybe you could use a break ;).

The Sons of Horus are plainly cool and, if focusing on Reaver bands, you could make kind of a clan-divided army with a ragged and tribal look.

And no, this doesn't have anything to do at all with Blackshields and SoH being my two 30k armies :P!

Imperial Fists. All the way. I can't even give a convincing argument at the mo. But please. Imperial Fists. If they're anything like the one you did a ways back, 'twil be a glorious force.

Failing that, Solar Auxillia would be a cool thing to consider. As would Night Lords. And literally everything else you've posted.

(Also, just as a point of contention, and because I'm a pedant... Hyena actually shared four models intended to be Fists in In Memoriam. Just only one, to my knowledge, was ever painted. I know. I'm a pedant.)

Fists would make an awesome counter-point to the Alpha Legion that you've just finished. Re-enact your favorite scenes from Praetorian of Dorn! ;)

UM Nemesis Chapter forebears is another amazingly cool theme that I don't think many have explored, and could also fit into some kind of Shattered Legion/Black Shield force. On that note, Black Shields would be incredibly cool too. Not enough folks doing Black Shields out there.

Up to you in the end, though. All those ideas are cool, so pick whatever inspires you the most.

Hmm, I obviously have a favourite in this race, but let's address this systematically:

Traitor Emperor’s Children:

Actually, I would love to see you adding a traitorous element to your EC force at some point, or build up a small alternate traitor force, mostly because it seems like such a (rewarding) challenge to create a group of models that shows the beginning decline of the legion without being too monstrous and 40k Slaaneshi. That being said, this feels like something you'll be inevitably drawn to at some point, so maybe we can put it off for now... ;)

World Eaters:

Well, surprise: I would *LOVE* to see you tackling these! The killteam idea seems like such a good approach: While not start there and see where it leads? And if it doesn't lead anywhere, fine: The fact that it's only a killteam leaves you with enough energy left to spare on another project from your list afterwards ;)

Imperial Fists:

Always fantastic when done well, and your IF test model was certainly a promising proof of concept. If there's one thing that I can say against them, it's that you can take what would be one of the best parts of the projects (the heavy weathering) and do that with World Eaters as well. But like I said, I'm biased here. Imperial Fists would be very cool!

Blackshields:

I don't really see the appeal in these, to be honest. Unless you have a super-awesome colour scheme/background idea in the back of your head -- but then, why not make it a 40k DIY yourself (traitor) chapter on the first place?

Night Lords:

I'd actually actively caution against Night Lords, due to the plethora of awesome NL threads on the forum: It's not that you couldn't do better (because you could), but so much has been done with the legion by so many frater that I would prefer to see you do something different.

Raven Guard:

I've never been much of a Raven Guard fan, to be honest. And I feel like Malchy basically has everything that's cool about the legion covered with one of his projects.

Ultramarines:

Huh, Ultramarines are difficult to make interesting, but they can also be so rewarding when done right -- look no farther than Apologist's Ultramarines and the Black 100 as proof. I don't really get the appeal of the successor chapters, though, but then I am a man of simple pleasures, so yeah...

Sons of Horus:

This would probably be my second-favourite option after the World Eaters, mostly because the test model you did was so unlike the SoH we usually see, and yet it totally read as a Son of Horus alright. I'd love to see what interesting stuff you could do with these!

So, to make a long story short:

• Please, please do some World Eaters! All the tools are there: The Mk. III plastics. The AoS Bloodreavers. I could really use some extra inspiration. Start by doing a killteam, then move on to another legion, for all I care. But start here! ;)
  • Sons of Horus: After getting the WE killteam out of your system, you can do a SoH force. There, it's that simple ;)
  • eventually, you'll return to those EC traitors. I'm sure of it ;)

The good news is that, based on your fantastic test models for each legion, whatever project you choose should be spectacular, so we are all winning anyway. That being said, did I already advise you to start with some World Eaters...? ;)

Well, Kraut's sensible way of dealing with the choices thematically seems sensible!

Having done the course I would actually encourage you to go for a heavily weathered legion, certainly for the tank course.... I almost wept weathering by gloriously bright pink rhino.....

Great idea, I am already doing the odd traitor element with mine, to allow a mix n match. However, I would certainly wait for any 40k Slaanesh bits to come back and possibly see what eventually happens with FW releases in the future. You may also risk the MKA stuff looking distinctly different from the existing stuff, I only had 1 tank and 1 squad done, so it wasn't too bad binning them all off and starting again. It mightn't be so bad here, as the traitor ones that have really lost it will look more bright and garish than your loyalist!!

World Eaters:

I think this will be the best option, well after Death Guard!! You get to practice white on the course, and the blue/red will allow for awesome practice on pinstripes/markings. Weathering techniques look great on white vehicles, and you can not only play with rust and dust streaks, but blood too! All good fun! You probably aren't going to get MK2 plastics though, but do some Triarrii in MK3 and kit bash with all those fun Khorne AoS kits!! It would be a great project to get stuck into.

Imperial Fists:

After the course, you will love tanks and heavy vehicles, so these are a great idea. Yellow is a tough colour, but the course will show you the ways! It will allow for fun weathering techniques with the chipping and mud. It might be fun for you to do a loyal legion!! There ares some great IF bits out there, if you mix in templar-y vibes, but i feel the conversion options here would be less 'exciting' than say WE or NL.

Blackshields:

I don't really see the appeal in these, to be honest. Never really floated my boat, I'd just do Dark Angels instead, especially if you want to do black! Plenty of fun kit bashing to be had with 40k stuff and knightly bits, and you'll be ready for Angelus....

Night Lords:

I'd actually love you do this, I think you could have a lot of fun with the kit bashes and make a really unique looking force, I am seriously going to eventually do at least a squad of these nutters, just to use up some bits. I'd also hope there will be some updates coming for these guys. Some of the great NL threads have been off the boil for a while, it'd be good to see; you can play around with all sorts of Chaos kits and Green stuff flesh strips all over the shop.

Raven Guard:

I've never been much of a Raven Guard fan, to be honest either. Probably a little too similar to the AL that you've done, especially as you are just going to be modelling at this stage, they tend to be pretty basic marines when compared to SW, IW or others that allow for customisation; if you fancy painting some out there tribal patterns it could be fun and there is a distinct lack of RG out there.

Ultramarines:

Both Matt and Andy love the Ultras so you will take the blue to insane levels... They are very similar to the loyal EC though, so you might like a change!! I do agree there is a lot to be done with the Ultra's and they have lots of fun 30k kits!

Sons of Horus:

Can't say I am a big fan of the SoH, although doing at lot of Black n Red reavers could be fun! The MKA way of doing the green is a very nice and I would encourage to check out Udo's thread on 30k SoH for examples!

As your EC and AL have been a result of 'emotional' choices you really need to follow your heart on this, a sense of emotional investment really does inspire you to push things and create some amazing stuff! I really think you should seriously consider vehicle type list/choices, this may well influence the ultimate decision. 

Oh geez, I didn't even notice it was an MKA course you were doing until I saw LCE's post. I just took one myself! Consider that it's basically three separate courses; one for metallic schemes, one for flat color schemes, and one for white schemes (Death Guard/World Eaters/White Scars). Do the one that you think will be most valuable to you for armies you're planning to do sooner rather than later! For example, I did metallics, as I'm going to be working on metallic-colored Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons and Word Bearers in the near future. It also works for Iron Warriors, Night Lords, & Iron Hands. That said, metallics are probably the easiest path and you'll get a bit more from a flat color scheme.

Also remember that if you do the flat scheme and pick Raven Guard, Dark Angels, or Black Shields (in black), you're basically doing the pre-shading step and just stopping instead of doing a glaze color step. I don't think this is the best value for the course, although you'll have more time to work on weathering techniques.

And yeah, if you do Ultramarines you'll be held to a higher standard and have Matt and Andy over your shoulder very frequently ;) No pressure

I think you should go for either the World Eaters or Raven Guard. I'd quite like to see you tackle a loyalist legion but I can't bring myself to support either the Imp. fist or the Ultramarines. 

Both World Eaters and Raven Guard would give you interesting options for painting due to their minimal colour schemes and both would be quite easy to expand into a shattered legion force if you get the desire to paint another legion for a while.

Otherwise SoH, because the Warmaster needs more supporters.

Thanks for the awesome feedback, everybody! Lots of great ideas and opinions :tu:

My vote goes to Blackshields. Mainly cause I think they're really cool.

Dragonlover

They are definitely cool, but you need a really strong concept and theme to make them work. I was thinking about the Nemean Reaver's forces, the Dark Brotherhood, but they were shattered after the Reaver was recruited by the Knights Errant. I could do a Dark Brotherhood splinter faction, but if I wanted to use the Nemean Reaver it would have to be a 'historic' force.

Ultramarines. The whole Successor theme is always awesome - mine are based on the Aurora Chapter (who are in Tempest as the Ultramarines 4th Chapter "The Aurorans"). You could look into the Novamarines and Lucretius Corvo who wears their colour scheme as his personal heraldry.

Thanks for the link to the Novamarines! I had a quick read of their wiki page. There are almost too many options when it comes to the Ultramarine successors.

Heaps of great ideas Kizz, and I couldn't agree more on the Talons of the Emperor not being a stand alone army.

Are you interested in the more mundane armies like Militia or Solar Auxilia? Both have so much variety in terms of rules and modelling as well, and to be honest you dont see to many of them around in comparison to the Legions (or Custode spam now days). If I was to go off your list though I would vote for either Blackshields or Imperial Fists "Executioners".

I definitely feel for you though man, so many projects to pick from but so little time...I think we are all in the same boat in that respect.

Yeah, unless you're playing a campaign set in the Great Crusade, the Webway, on Prospero, or onboard the Vengeful Spirit above Terra, Talons of the Emperor shouldn't really be a thing. Of course if you're playing in a tournament setting go for it, but in a narrative setting...

The Auxilla and the Militia are okay, but the Legions are where I'm really focussed. I'd consider them as a part of an Army of Dark Compliance or as a small allied force, but not as a stand alone army.

Yeah, it's the curse of this hobby that we'll never be able to work on every project that we want to...

Fists! Fists. Definitely the Fists. I'd advise that you look up Hyaenidae's stuff for inspiration, brother. 

Hahaha, I wouldn't expect anything else! 

Traitor Ravens could be a very interesting project.

Yeah, I haven't really thought too deeply about how I'd make them work as a force/theme. Perhaps they could be from a Predation Fleet or maybe they were dropsite massacre survivors that weren't able to link up with the rest of the Legion survivors and were abandoned when the Primarch and and his forces were evacuated. Who knows...?

I vote for the Night Lords because its a good opportunity for a lot of conversion bits.

Yeah, there are a lot of great bits out there, both GW and 3rd party. It would definitely be a lot of fun to work on. Also, the fact that they're going to get a bit of an update in Angelus is intriguing.

So you're looking to have a considerable amount of troops built by October, before the course?

I totally get you're a huge fan of the Emperor's Children, but would suggest waiting until they receive the Thousand Sons treatment in 40k. You know GW is going to deliver. With DG around the corner it only makes sense that the EC and Slaanesh are next in line. Chances of them coming out before October are probably pretty slim, though.

Honestly, I would love to see you tackle a loyalist legion. There's something about the loyalists that have always been a challenge in my mind. For whatever reason I feel like they lack that unmistakable aesthetic quality that many of the traitors possess.

I'll put my vote behind the Imperial Fists boarding force or Raven Guard survivors. Either would be killer to see in your style. The fact that you have one of the simplest recipes for yellow, and how amazing the end result is should be a consideration. I tried to replicate it and failed miserably, lol.

Any idea when you'll be starting your next project?

It wouldn't have to be the whole force, but I'd like to have a couple of units ready to go. 

I really hope the Emperor's Children get the same treatment as the 40k Thousand Sons, but I'm not as confident as you. We haven't seen a Slaaneshi release for a longtime, either 40k, WHFB or AoS. The recent Thousand Sons and the leaked Death Guard pics demonstrate that GW is most definitely capable of doing them justice, I just don't know if it will happen.

Yeah, you're completely right about the 'aesthetic quality' of the Traitor Legions. I think that's a big part of why I've always been drawn to the Traitors even though I'm a Loyalist at heart.

I'll start on the next project as soon as my Alpha Legion drop pods are finished and I've decided on what to do for the next project... so no, I don't know when I'll be starting...

I would either go for the Blackshields or the Sons of Horus.
Blackshields offer A LOT of possibilities in that you can paint them in whatever colour scheme you want, you can convert them to look like mutants, more ragged, with weirder weapons, etc... And they have a lot of cool playstyle options, from dropping the whole army from deep strike to running a bunch of frenzied berserkers. Overal they're pretty different to any other Astartes army so, seeing how many legions you've made, maybe you could use a break.
The Sons of Horus are plainly cool and, if focusing on Reaver bands, you could make kind of a clan-divided army with a ragged and tribal look.
And no, this doesn't have anything to do at all with Blackshields and SoH being my two 30k armies!

I was thinking of the Dark Brotherhood for the Blackshields force, but I haven't given them too much thought. The danger with the Blackshields is that they give you too much artistic and creative freedom. They really require a well thought out theme, and I'm not sure that I'm up to the challenge.

The Sons of Horus are a definite contender. They have a fantastic scheme (both the regular Legion colours and the 1st Company colours) and generally have a great aesthetic. 

Imperial Fists. All the way. I can't even give a convincing argument at the mo. But please. Imperial Fists. If they're anything like the one you did a ways back, 'twil be a glorious force.

Failing that, Solar Auxillia would be a cool thing to consider. As would Night Lords. And literally everything else you've posted.

(Also, just as a point of contention, and because I'm a pedant... Hyena actually shared four models intended to be Fists in In Memoriam. Just only one, to my knowledge, was ever painted. I know. I'm a pedant.)

The Fists definitely seem to be a fairly popular choice. I've been playing around with some IF Zone Mortalis lists to see if I can make a suitable list to fit the Fafnir Rann/Executioners theme.

Fists would make an awesome counter-point to the Alpha Legion that you've just finished. Re-enact your favorite scenes from Praetorian of Dorn!

UM Nemesis Chapter forebears is another amazingly cool theme that I don't think many have explored, and could also fit into some kind of Shattered Legion/Black Shield force. On that note, Black Shields would be incredibly cool too. Not enough folks doing Black Shields out there.

Up to you in the end, though. All those ideas are cool, so pick whatever inspires you the most.

Hahaha... not funny...

The Nemesis Chapter would definitely be a different look for the Ultramarines. The darker colour scheme and the love of rad weapons is not what people think of when they look at the XIIIth.

If it helps, I know there are no heresy plastics this year, which may alter some of your plans a little.

Thanks for the info :)

Hmm, I obviously have a favourite in this race, but let's address this systematically:

Hahaha, don't worry, the World Eaters are in contention.

Actually, I would love to see you adding a traitorous element to your EC force at some point, or build up a small alternate traitor force, mostly because it seems like such a (rewarding) challenge to create a group of models that shows the beginning decline of the legion without being too monstrous and 40k Slaaneshi. That being said, this feels like something you'll be inevitably drawn to at some point, so maybe we can put it off for now... 

That's true, wherever I go next I'm always likely to come back to the Emperor's Children. I'll never stop working on the IIIrd, so it's always good to fit something else in now and again.

World Eaters:

Well, surprise: I would *LOVE* to see you tackling these! The killteam idea seems like such a good approach: While not start there and see where it leads? And if it doesn't lead anywhere, fine: The fact that it's only a killteam leaves you with enough energy left to spare on another project from your list afterwards.

I have always wanted to try my hand at a World Eater ZM list and I already have some chainaxes and WE upgrades. I guess I just need a spark of inspiration that I'm not feeling at the moment.

Imperial Fists:

Always fantastic when done well, and your IF test model was certainly a promising proof of concept. If there's one thing that I can say against them, it's that you can take what would be one of the best parts of the projects (the heavy weathering) and do that with World Eaters as well. But like I said, I'm biased here. Imperial Fists would be very cool!

The fact that both the Imperial Fists and World Eaters look great with some weathering doesn't really count against either of them. Whatever I go with I'll be adding some weathering, especially after I've learnt some new techniques at the MKA course. I'm guessing that my technique for painting each of the Legions will also be different after the course, so my Fists or Eaters might look quite a bit different from the warriors that I painted up for the 'March of the Legions.'

Blackshields:

I don't really see the appeal in these, to be honest. Unless you have a super-awesome colour scheme/background idea in the back of your head -- but then, why not make it a 40k DIY yourself (traitor) chapter on the first place?

You've identified the danger with the Blackshields. They require a bit more work from the hobbyist to make them work. I regards to a renegade 40k Chapter I'm always more likely to go with a 30k force over a 40k force.

Night Lords:

I'd actually actively caution against Night Lords, due to the plethora of awesome NL threads on the forum: It's not that you couldn't do better (because you could), but so much has been done with the legion by so many frater that I would prefer to see you do something different.

If I go with the Night Lords I'll be trying the FW metallic scheme so it'll be a bit different to what most other people are doing, but you're definitely right that there are some amazing NL projects out there. I'm not worried that I wouldn't be able to make my NL standout, but over supply and market saturation definitely apply to the NL (and few other Legions including WE...).

Raven Guard:

I've never been much of a Raven Guard fan, to be honest. And I feel like Malchy basically has everything that's cool about the legion covered with one of his projects.

Yeah, Malchy's project is amazing and I'd be very careful to try to take a different approach to the Legion. At least the Raven Guard don't suffer from over representation...

Ultramarines:

Huh, Ultramarines are difficult to make interesting, but they can also be so rewarding when done right -- look no farther than Apologist's Ultramarines and the Black 100 as proof. I don't really get the appeal of the successor chapters, though, but then I am a man of simple pleasures, so yeah...

The successor theme is a great way to add some variety and character to an Ultramarines force. It's still a Chapter of the XIIIth Legion, but with some additional heraldry and maybe a particular specialisation or preferred way of war. 

Sons of Horus:

This would probably be my second-favourite option after the World Eaters, mostly because the test model you did was so unlike the SoH we usually see, and yet it totally read as a Son of Horus alright. I'd love to see what interesting stuff you could do with these!

Yes, I'm a big fan of the Sons of Horus colour scheme. The fact that I'll be learning from the guys that painted the FW SoH minis makes them even more appealing.

So, to make a long story short:

• Please, please do some World Eaters! All the tools are there: The Mk. III plastics. The AoS Bloodreavers. I could really use some extra inspiration. Start by doing a killteam, then move on to another legion, for all I care. But start here! 
  • Sons of Horus: After getting the WE killteam out of your system, you can do a SoH force. There, it's that simple 
  • eventually, you'll return to those EC traitors. I'm sure of it 

I want MkII for the WE, not MkIII, but that wouldn't stop me from starting a force. It's just that I'd be more likely to start WE if plastic MkII was available.

The good news is that, based on your fantastic test models for each legion, whatever project you choose should be spectacular, so we are all winning anyway. That being said, did I already advise you to start with some World Eaters...? 

Thanks for the time you put into your reply!!

Well, Kraut's sensible way of dealing with the choices thematically seems sensible!

Having done the course I would actually encourage you to go for a heavily weathered legion, certainly for the tank course.... I almost wept weathering by gloriously bright pink rhino.....

But they can all be heavily weathered...

Of course the weathering suits some colour schemes better than others.

Great idea, I am already doing the odd traitor element with mine, to allow a mix n match. However, I would certainly wait for any 40k Slaanesh bits to come back and possibly see what eventually happens with FW releases in the future. You may also risk the MKA stuff looking distinctly different from the existing stuff, I only had 1 tank and 1 squad done, so it wasn't too bad binning them all off and starting again. It mightn't be so bad here, as the traitor ones that have really lost it will look more bright and garish than your loyalist!!

Yep, I'll probably end up waiting for FW and GW to do something regarding the Traitor EC. 

What would you say is the most involved colour scheme on the course? I'm looking at the MKA course as a general airbrsuhing course rather than learning to paint one specific Legion. I'm more interested in learning as many skills as I can rather than learning how to paint one scheme really well.

World Eaters:

I think this will be the best option, well after Death Guard!! You get to practice white on the course, and the blue/red will allow for awesome practice on pinstripes/markings. Weathering techniques look great on white vehicles, and you can not only play with rust and dust streaks, but blood too! All good fun! You probably aren't going to get MK2 plastics though, but do some Triarrii in MK3 and kit bash with all those fun Khorne AoS kits!! It would be a great project to get stuck into.

I hadn't really considered the Death Guard, but the MKA scheme for the Death Guard is pretty good.

Imperial Fists:

After the course, you will love tanks and heavy vehicles, so these are a great idea. Yellow is a tough colour, but the course will show you the ways! It will allow for fun weathering techniques with the chipping and mud. It might be fun for you to do a loyal legion!! There ares some great IF bits out there, if you mix in templar-y vibes, but i feel the conversion options here would be less 'exciting' than say WE or NL.

The course might help me with tanks, but I think I'll always prefer infantry. You're right that the Imperial Fists (and Loyalists in general, except for the Space Wolves) are a bit more limited in their modelling and conversion potential. I'd be going for an 'Executioners' rather than a Templar theme, but I expect that I'd be making use of most of the IF range.

Blackshields:

I don't really see the appeal in these, to be honest. Never really floated my boat, I'd just do Dark Angels instead, especially if you want to do black! Plenty of fun kit bashing to be had with 40k stuff and knightly bits, and you'll be ready for Angelus....

Yeah, they're definitely a challenge.

Night Lords:

I'd actually love you do this, I think you could have a lot of fun with the kit bashes and make a really unique looking force, I am seriously going to eventually do at least a squad of these nutters, just to use up some bits. I'd also hope there will be some updates coming for these guys. Some of the great NL threads have been off the boil for a while, it'd be good to see; you can play around with all sorts of Chaos kits and Green stuff flesh strips all over the shop.

'Angelus' definitely makes the Night Lords more appealing and they have plenty of character as a Legion.

Raven Guard:

I've never been much of a Raven Guard fan, to be honest either. Probably a little too similar to the AL that you've done, especially as you are just going to be modelling at this stage, they tend to be pretty basic marines when compared to SW, IW or others that allow for customisation; if you fancy painting some out there tribal patterns it could be fun and there is a distinct lack of RG out there.

They are similar to the Alpha Legion, but not necessarily my Alphas. Unless I did a Terran Terminator RG force they'd probably be pretty different to my XXth. 

Ultramarines:

Both Matt and Andy love the Ultras so you will take the blue to insane levels... They are very similar to the loyal EC though, so you might like a change!! I do agree there is a lot to be done with the Ultra's and they have lots of fun 30k kits!

They are similar to the Emperor's Children, maybe that's why I like them... I'd have to make the force composition pretty different to my EC to differentiate them.

Sons of Horus:

Can't say I am a big fan of the SoH, although doing at lot of Black n Red reavers could be fun! The MKA way of doing the green is a very nice and I would encourage to check out Udo's thread on 30k SoH for examples!

Not of fan of the SoH? They have one of the best schemes out there. Do you just not like the Legion in general? 

As your EC and AL have been a result of 'emotional' choices you really need to follow your heart on this, a sense of emotional investment really does inspire you to push things and create some amazing stuff! I really think you should seriously consider vehicle type list/choices, this may well influence the ultimate decision. 

Don't worry, I'll always focus on projects that appeal to me on an emotional level. 

Hahaha, I'm trying to steer away from vehicles... Infantry will always be more interesting.

Thanks for the time you put into your post!!

Oh geez, I didn't even notice it was an MKA course you were doing until I saw LCE's post. I just took one myself! Consider that it's basically three separate courses; one for metallic schemes, one for flat color schemes, and one for white schemes (Death Guard/World Eaters/White Scars). Do the one that you think will be most valuable to you for armies you're planning to do sooner rather than later! For example, I did metallics, as I'm going to be working on metallic-colored Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons and Word Bearers in the near future. It also works for Iron Warriors, Night Lords, & Iron Hands. That said, metallics are probably the easiest path and you'll get a bit more from a flat color scheme.

Also remember that if you do the flat scheme and pick Raven Guard, Dark Angels, or Black Shields (in black), you're basically doing the pre-shading step and just stopping instead of doing a glaze color step. I don't think this is the best value for the course, although you'll have more time to work on weathering techniques.

And yeah, if you do Ultramarines you'll be held to a higher standard and have Matt and Andy over your shoulder very frequently. No pressure

Thanks a lot for the MKA info. That's really helpful. I'll definitely take that into consideration when I'm deciding which Legion to work on at the course. I'm pretty confident that once I learn the basics of airbrushing I'll be able to learn other techniques without too much trouble. 

I think you should go for either the World Eaters or Raven Guard. I'd quite like to see you tackle a loyalist legion but I can't bring myself to support either the Imp. fist or the Ultramarines. 

Both World Eaters and Raven Guard would give you interesting options for painting due to their minimal colour schemes and both would be quite easy to expand into a shattered legion force if you get the desire to paint another legion for a while.

Otherwise SoH, because the Warmaster needs more supporters.

All good options. Why aren't you keen on the Fists and Ultramarines? Do you find their colour schemes boring or are you just not interested in them as Legions?

I've already got some World Eater upgrade pieces, so they're a definite possibility. I was considering a Shadow Crusade force of World Eaters and Word Bearers for a while. 

Thanks again, and if you have anymore ideas or opinions I'd love to hear them :)

Even if I'm no help here I know (WE all know) that whatever you choose for your futur project, it will blow our mind away and give a lot of inspiration as always !

Now I'm not really objective with NL, Raven Guard and all the "white faces guys" and I would love to see how you handle them.

But I think that the multi-legion themed force are the best option because it permit everything ^^. They are hightly themed force with solide and original background to creat, they offer a lot of different colors schemes, textures weathering and painting chalenges, they allow you to mixe multiple project that you wanted to explore ( who says WE/EC post istvaan survivor hunting team with raven guard slaves turned as EC mad puppets ?).

PS :

Raven Guard:

Yeah, Malchy's project is amazing and I'd be very careful to try to take a different approach to the Legion. At least the Raven Guard don't suffer from over representation...

Thanks to you and Kraut for the kinds words :wink: I'm really flattered !

Edited by malcharion

Thanks a lot for the MKA info. That's really helpful. I'll definitely take that into consideration when I'm deciding which Legion to work on at the course. I'm pretty confident that once I learn the basics of airbrushing I'll be able to learn other techniques without too much trouble. 

Yeah, you'll do fine. I've honestly seen a few of the things they'll teach you in this thread before, but the airbrushing lessons will be fantastic for you, and hopefully they have some tips that help refine the techniques you already knew.

If you're looking to push the airbrushing the most, remember that the course can be as challenging as you make it. Don't be afraid to message any of the MKA guys and ask them what they think the toughest infantry schemes you can do would be. They're great people and they'll help you make the course the best experience it can be for you. 

My opinion, though? The white schemes. You'll start with white, add shadow to that, and then because your shoulder pads, backpacks or whatever are separate, you'll do colors on those and have to match the source lighting on those parts to the bodies while they're off the model. It looked pretty tricky!

All good options. Why aren't you keen on the Fists and Ultramarines? Do you find their colour schemes boring or are you just not interested in them as Legions?

I've already got some World Eater upgrade pieces, so they're a definite possibility. I was considering a Shadow Crusade force of World Eaters and Word Bearers for a while. 

I think seeing you do a shadow crusade force would be excellent, especially with how nice your Word Bearer scheme is.

As for why I'm not keen on the Ultras and Imp. Fists, I do like their colours, they're very striking and FW have given plenty of interesting variations in the black books. I don't dislike the Ultras but I feel the same way about them as the Space Wolves, I just don't really consider them when thinking about the legions. 

The Imp. Fist however I really don't like and I don't really have any good reasons as to why. I just don't find them interesting and I feel like they've received a little to much attention from BL and FW. My annoyance is probably irrational but it is what it is. :mellow.:

Are their any heresy armies apart from Mechanicum and Talons that you wouldn't consider doing? Are their any legions that you don't have any interest in building?

Edited by Checkmate

I know it wasn't on the list, but I would have quite liked to see you do White Scars... You could use your current force to represent Prefector Cario, who has abstained from the  "gifts" of the gods to stay unsullied versus Shiban of the White Scars... Maybe a bit influenced by reading Path of Heaven

Night Lords:

·      Terror Assault.

·      It would be great if GW released some plastic MkII/IV jump packs.

·      Play up the terror theme; plenty of trophies, terror markings, flayed skin, cadavers etc. Steer clear of overtly Chaotic iconography etc., but make them complete savages.

The Sanguinary Guard have Mk IV jump packs.

http://i.imgur.com/lqi6pb1.png

It would be nice to see just the jump packs released, but eBay could be a friend in this instance.

Everything has pretty much been said about choices and market saturation, and you replied to all of them. I can only add what I would like to see you do. Night Lords, World Eaters, and Fists are pretty saturated (although those testers you did for your March of the Legions collection where saweeheet!), you've already proven your worth when it comes to Emperor's Children, and Raven Guard and Black Shields are boring. That leaves Ultramarines and Sons of Horus - and seeing you just finished a blue-based Alpha Legion, I can imagine you'd like to do something else. So my vote goes to Sons of Horus - but with the planned dedication to conversions that you had for the Night Lords.

Very KNightly Dark Angels, with a mixture of Black and Green units, and checkered plating here and there, could  also look awesome!

Thanks for all of the feedback! Heaps of great ideas and food for thought.

I just finished reading Magnus the Red: Master of Prospero last night. A great read for fans of the Thousand Sons, the Iron Warriors and the Heresy in general. It reminded me of my love for the XVth. Lord Commander Eidolon asked me if I had considered returning to the roots of the this thread, the Thousand Sons. They are really tempting but I'm not really sure if I want to collect the flavour of the month Legion. Having said that, by the time I would have any minis painted there would be a new flavour of the month.

I'm still haven't picked a Legion, but I feel like I'm making some progress. Now I need to buy a new BL book to keep the creative juices flowing.

Even if I'm no help here I know (WE all know) that whatever you choose for your futur project, it will blow our mind away and give a lot of inspiration as always !

Now I'm not really objective with NL, Raven Guard and all the "white faces guys" and I would love to see how you handle them.

But I think that the multi-legion themed force are the best option because it permit everything ^^. They are hightly themed force with solide and original background to creat, they offer a lot of different colors schemes, textures weathering and painting chalenges, they allow you to mixe multiple project that you wanted to explore ( who says WE/EC post istvaan survivor hunting team with raven guard slaves turned as EC mad puppets ?).

PS :

Raven Guard:

Thanks to you and Kraut for the kinds words :wink: I'm really flattered !

Thanks for the ideas bro! Shattered Legions really does allow for a diverse and interesting force, the danger is that it can lack cohesion from an aesthetic perspective. A strong theme based on a particular 'historical' force or event, such as the Word Bearers and World Eaters at Armatura, is essential.

Yeah, dude, I'm a big fan of your Carcharodons. Very inspiring!

Yeah, you'll do fine. I've honestly seen a few of the things they'll teach you in this thread before, but the airbrushing lessons will be fantastic for you, and hopefully they have some tips that help refine the techniques you already knew.

If you're looking to push the airbrushing the most, remember that the course can be as challenging as you make it. Don't be afraid to message any of the MKA guys and ask them what they think the toughest infantry schemes you can do would be. They're great people and they'll help you make the course the best experience it can be for you. 

My opinion, though? The white schemes. You'll start with white, add shadow to that, and then because your shoulder pads, backpacks or whatever are separate, you'll do colors on those and have to match the source lighting on those parts to the bodies while they're off the model. It looked pretty tricky!

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to learning some new skills and developing those that I already have. I'm pretty much self taught, so it'll be nice to learn from the pros.

Thanks for the info too. I'll definitely be in contact with the MKA guys before the course and I'll ask all the questions. 

I think seeing you do a shadow crusade force would be excellent, especially with how nice your Word Bearer scheme is.

As for why I'm not keen on the Ultras and Imp. Fists, I do like their colours, they're very striking and FW have given plenty of interesting variations in the black books. I don't dislike the Ultras but I feel the same way about them as the Space Wolves, I just don't really consider them when thinking about the legions. 

The Imp. Fist however I really don't like and I don't really have any good reasons as to why. I just don't find them interesting and I feel like they've received a little to much attention from BL and FW. My annoyance is probably irrational but it is what it is. :mellow.:

Are their any heresy armies apart from Mechanicum and Talons that you wouldn't consider doing? Are their any legions that you don't have any interest in building?

Yeah, the Shadow Crusade is pretty sweet, especially after rereading Betrayer a couple of months ago. 

I like all of the Legions, not equally, but enough to start a force of any of them. I know that doesn't help, but all of the Legions are pretty awesome and when they're done well they all look great. I'm just looking for that spark of inspiration.

I know it wasn't on the list, but I would have quite liked to see you do White Scars... You could use your current force to represent Prefector Cario, who has abstained from the  "gifts" of the gods to stay unsullied versus Shiban of the White Scars... Maybe a bit influenced by reading Path of Heaven

I haven't really thought too much about the Scars. There is definitely potential there. They have a great colour scheme and aesthetic/character. They'd also be great as a Shattered Legion force and would be perfect for some raider style Centurion action. One of the main difficulties with the Scars is that jetbikes are so pricy... it can get pretty expensive to create a fluffy WS force. And yes, Path of Heaven is a great book.

Night Lords:

·      Terror Assault.

·      It would be great if GW released some plastic MkII/IV jump packs.

·      Play up the terror theme; plenty of trophies, terror markings, flayed skin, cadavers etc. Steer clear of overtly Chaotic iconography etc., but make them complete savages.

The Sanguinary Guard have Mk IV jump packs.

http://i.imgur.com/lqi6pb1.png

It would be nice to see just the jump packs released, but eBay could be a friend in this instance.

Thanks bro. Yeah, I've got a set of the Sanguinary Guard but even using eBay it would be prohibitively expensive to equip a couple of units of Assault Marines.

Do Death Guard. Because I said so.

Well, I can't really argue with that kind of reasoning... What kind of Death Guard force would you like to see?

+1 for the World Eaters :smile.:

No surprises there ;)

Everything has pretty much been said about choices and market saturation, and you replied to all of them. I can only add what I would like to see you do. Night Lords, World Eaters, and Fists are pretty saturated (although those testers you did for your March of the Legions collection where saweeheet!), you've already proven your worth when it comes to Emperor's Children, and Raven Guard and Black Shields are boring. That leaves Ultramarines and Sons of Horus - and seeing you just finished a blue-based Alpha Legion, I can imagine you'd like to do something else. So my vote goes to Sons of Horus - but with the planned dedication to conversions that you had for the Night Lords.

Very KNightly Dark Angels, with a mixture of Black and Green units, and checkered plating here and there, could  also look awesome!

I'm not too worried about market saturation, but I'm definitely a fan of the Sons of Horus. They also have a really striking and uniques colour scheme which is definitely a selling point. I'd definitely be adding some character to the minis if I went with the Sons, maybe not as much as I would with the Night Lords, but definitely more than most other Legions.

If I went with the Dark Angels I'd probably want to use MkII...

Thanks again for all of the great ideas ;)

I'm still haven't picked a Legion, but I feel like I'm making some progress. Now I need to buy a new BL book to keep the creative juices flowing.

+1 for the World Eaters :smile.:

No surprises there ;)

The answer is just read Betrayer again!! :D I am sorry, I can't help myself. The WE are my fave Legion and I am debating starting them myself and yours would make great ideas to pilfer ;) (I say debating I have bought fifty FW Chainaxes and the Red Books, so......)

Second choice for me would be the Sons of Horus - though I am a fan of elite Abaddon led Justaerin forces, again no surprises there :D and I am also a fan of Sigi and his Fist/Templar swordy dudesmen (I know you are not keen on Fists). In all seriousness, what ever you choose you will knock out the park as ever!

Have you considered doing loyalist SoH based in Istavaan 3? That way, you could have a lot of variation in that you could mix in other legion armour as having been scavenged from the battlefield. You could even have the odd death guard / emperors' children / world eater who was seperated from their force. Even if you don't do that, since Horus had picked sqauds instead of whole companies, meaning everything is really up for grabs.