The Sekhmet+HH Emperor's Children: Imperial Fists Deathwing 12/4/24

Kizzdougs

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, here is a little test piece that I did recently. I'm trying to get a Sons of Horus colour scheme similar to that shown in the Forgeworld black books. Please let me know what you think :thumbsup:

n2lDGb0.jpg?1

And the Forgeworld art for reference.

5q2lGuq.jpg

I'd love to hear what you think of the test colour on the Rhino. Obviously I haven't added any of the serious weathering yet but you get the general idea. If you have any colour/paint suggestions that would be great to :smile.:

Happy New Year, kizz!

I'm just wondering why you want to make ECs in a different scheme from your EC army? 

Thanks mate, and same to you!!

I thought it would make sense to start a new army now that I've finally bought an airbrush and learned how to use it, and every time I try to decide which Legion to paint next I always come back to the Emperor's Children because they're my favourite. I've also been thinking about a couple of other Legions, mostly the Sons of Horus, but I'd probably end up painting some more Emperors Children as either allies or part of a Shattered Legions force. :smile.:

look forward to seeing what new things you have to show off soon!

Thanks a lot bro! :smile.:

Thanks for looking :wink:

Edited by Kizzdougs

Yup, Kizzdougs, that's a pretty spot on imitation of the HH scheme of the SoH. 

About your ECs: why not start a new SoH force with your airbrush and keep adding to your ECs in your old style - I loved it and it looks great. Starting ECs all over again will create two different forces - which will start to bug you, I'm sure. And that would be such a waste of effort.  

That test piece does indeed look spot on!

I second Augustus's suggestion! Your "old" EC are fantastic as they are, and it doesn't feel like a new colour scheme would add all that much or end up being inherently "better" than the old one, but putting your new technique to the test on a new project would really be the best of both worlds!

That being said, I think it's understood that I would still really, really like for you to tackle more World Eaters at some point ;)

Thanks for the kind words and feedback, everybody!

Looks a pretty close match. I like it.

Are you going to use a matte black for the detailing as well, to give some contrast to the metallics?

Thanks a lot bro! I haven't decided how to do the other colours yet. Matte black would go nicely with the metallic green, but a more metallic black could look really great for units such as the Justaerin or the Reavers. I'll need to sort that out once I make a decision whether or not to go ahead with the SoH.

Looks spot on to me. Will this be a whole force of SoH? I hope so.

Nemac

That's the plan at the moment! I haven't made a final decision, but it'll probably be Sons of Horus or the Emperor's Children or a combination of the two (either Shattered Legions or allied forces).

Nailed it I reckon :-)

Thanks bro! Glad you like how it turned out :smile.:

Basically spot on. Looks great!

Thanks a lot bro :smile.:

Yup, Kizzdougs, that's a pretty spot on imitation of the HH scheme of the SoH. 

About your ECs: why not start a new SoH force with your airbrush and keep adding to your ECs in your old style - I loved it and it looks great. Starting ECs all over again will create two different forces - which will start to bug you, I'm sure. And that would be such a waste of effort.  

Thanks bro! Yeah, I am leaning more towards the Sons of Horus at the moment, but I'm sue I'll paint some more Emperor's Children at some stage. If GW or Fw release some Traitor EC minis I'll be all over them in a flash. I just can't stay away from the IIIrd Legion and I recon I could do a much much better job on them now. There is a lot I would like to change about my current EC army.

Tough to see you getting any closer, looks great.

Thanks bro! :smile.:

That test piece does indeed look spot on!

I second Augustus's suggestion! Your "old" EC are fantastic as they are, and it doesn't feel like a new colour scheme would add all that much or end up being inherently "better" than the old one, but putting your new technique to the test on a new project would really be the best of both worlds!

That being said, I think it's understood that I would still really, really like for you to tackle more World Eaters at some point :wink:

Thanks a lot bro! I recon I could do the Emperor's Children proper justice now though. There are definitely certain aspects of my old EC army that I like, but in general I think I could do much better.

^^^^^ what they said

One cannot improve upon Perfection

Hahaha, thanks bro, but perfection is a moving target and no one knows this better than the Emperor's Children (at least until they had their minds twisted by Chaos :tongue.: ).

^^^^^ what they said

One cannot improve upon Perfection

Try telling Fulgrim that :biggrin.:

Haha, too true! It's about the process and constant improvement.

Ohhh yeahhh, that paint job hits the spot!

Thanks a lot bro!

Outstanding mate, you just get better and better. Can’t wait to see the scheme on some marines.

Thanks for the kind words bro! 

Looks gorgeous. Only needs some scratched kill markings and some bullet holes.

Yeah, I'll definitely put a lot more time an effort in to the scheme next time I paint it :smile.:

That colour is amazing, it honestly looks like artwork rather than a painted model. 

Thanks a lot bro! Glad you like it.

Thanks for looking :wink:

If anyone is interested this is what the Rhino panel looked liked before the Coelia Greenshade. I painted on some light scratches as the first stage of weathering. If I end up finishing the piece I'll add some heavier scratches over the top :)

oEdvO85.jpg?1

Thanks for looking ;)

Was the Coelia applied using an airbrush and was it several coats? Do you think a brush could work to because that shade is just awesome!

Yeah, with an airbrush and several thin coats until I was happy with the colour. A regular brush could work, but airbrushing is much better :)

Man, that silver would be perfection for the Astral Claws! WIth that bit of weathering and all!

Yeah, I actually really liked the silver and I had the same thought as you :tu:

Wow! Just stumbled on this thread and spent most of my day reading it! Great stuff, KD.

Welcome, and glad to hear that you like what you see :)

I like it! The shades spot on and would be keen to see more SoH from you.

However I'd seriously push the contrast of the pre-shade and highlight further. It'll look crap pre-colour but once the colour layers go on it kind of evens out and you lose a lot of the shading you've already done. That said, it's easily fixed with a normal shade layer!

Excellent work with the scratches, I'm looking to try that out on my next tank!!