Chaplain's hobby misc. Red Gobbo!

That biker and all those marines are looking ace!

Thanks brother! 

Had some fun with the hurricane sponsons for the LRC today:

15863314122_71bbcd071e_z.jpg

15678187097_c2c051bfc3_z.jpg

Never understood why those bolters had iron sights on the top-- skulls will get camera lenses put into the eye sockets and some tubes/cables/etc. to round them out.  

really cool little detail, consider it borrowed :wink:

where, by chance did you get your skulls, if i may ask? i find myself in need of more...

got them off of an eBay seller, google "black dagger games". 

And borrow away! 

Edited by The_Chaplain

The Confessors are coming on fantastically since I was last shuffling about the board! I'm loving the Sternguard mate, I agree with you on the chainbayonet musing. 

Duly noted; and thank you for the compliment!  Busted out the dremel for something special this morning, just so I can post some more elite devs/sternguard shots for you! Welcome back!

15684980369_cdb4853a15_z.jpg

Helbrecht now has his other shoulderpad! Generously donated from the lord executioner-- with some modification.  Just need to find some decent 3 braided rope to drape over the crux terminatus now.

15685232267_62715764cc_z.jpg

The crux from the side.

15683453028_95f3360a78_z.jpg

15685209937_369a9ab1b4_z.jpg

Using a dremel, I actually bored out a hefty chunk of the premolded shoulderpads of the devastator arms so that the crux would sit flush on the pad once they were gap filled.  A relatively small detail in the long run, but I think the end results are going to add just that little extra character.

15870346342_00718da0b0.jpg

15870988455_7c955c6e68_z.jpg

Other plastic HB devastator got a similar treatment.

Probably won't be able to sneak in another little update like these for the rest of the week-- but hopefully there will be something substantial to show after Turkey Day!  In the meantime, have a good one folks! 

Thanks for the comments guys!

So today I headed up to Dropzone Games-- the site of the old Glen Burnie battle bunker for their Black Friday Bizarre Bazaar.  There werent as many tables as the last one I went to, and the stock was a bit lacking-- but I think I found some good stuff.  Here's what I managed to get my hands on:

15900859761_f0607dc465.jpg

Web space marine sergeant-- I had one of these but it went missing, picked him up alongside a complete set of the metal vanguard veteran models for pretty cheap.

15717078587_89d3d7ce19_z.jpg

2008 games day model, without the thunderhammer.  Another running body for a charging marine; and another unique bare head.  All for $5. 

15900868481_9d209ccf24_z.jpg

Although it's pretty obviously a recast-- snagged the 2012 games day model for another fiver.  

15902198422_b9b97e4272.jpg

Power weapons! for five bucks! Hell yeah!

And lastly:

15900875861_20d717689f_z.jpg

Not a heavy bolter rapier, but hey-- maybe I can magnetize the options and find some online or something.  Been wanting a rapier for a while anyway, it's a kickass model.

I only spent 38% of the budget my fiance gave me; so I might appropriate some of the remainder towards more secret weapon bases since they are having a 20% off sale right now.  EBay is proving pretty fruitless for the brettonian questing knight bits I am looking for as well as the valthex backpack.  Maybe it's time to try a wanted add on warseer or dakkadakka? *shrug*

More pictures and projects still to come folks, stay tuned! 

My next LRC, whenever that comes about, will most definitely have fancy skull Hurricanes.  Lovely idea.

Thanks for the compliment Firepower!  A word of warning though, you may have to trim just a little bit off the top of the skulls on the second and third row of bolters-- as they tend to make the hurricane bow out by a extremely marginal amount.

Just placed an order for more secret weapon bases!  GW may be transitioning to 32 mm, but I started the army with 25mm bases and that's the way it's gonna be!   

Edited by The_Chaplain

• 2 weeks later...

Really like the hurricane bolters; the skulls are a great addition! Unfortunately I'm out of likes!

No worries, thanks for taking the time to comment! 

Love the original usage of fine cast chaps, they really make a coherent unit which says a lot about the way you have approached them, very well done!

Thanks-- Right now I'm trying to find the best way to get cloaks onto the models that don't have them to really sell the veteran status.  I look at threads like Blindhamster's Blood Angels with their sternguard/seekers and I weep that my sculpting is so woefully lacking by comparison, haha.

That Helbrecht conversion is going to look awesome once it's painted up. Don't think I've ever seen that model put to such a use before. Great stuff.

That's quite a haul of goodies you got! The sternguard are also looking great, Helbrecht in particular looks bad ass.

Thank you brothers! , admittedly, there are a few more things to do on Helbrecht but I think he's turning out pretty well! He certainly is a popular conversion! Speaking of goodies...

The new bases arrived!

15978897552_7bfbb5ba9e.jpg

15977577581_b2c0c3ba07.jpg

Dreadnought base for the custom siege dread, biker bases for the rest of the reclusiam command squad, another 10 infantry bases, bases for sternguard and devastators, a flier base, 40mm bases for HQs and some tank traps for potential diorama/dynamic basing projects.  

Okay, you came here for actual model content I'm sure-- truth be told I haven't been at the table lately; been cramming as much work in as I can at my job before the holidays-- but here's a few pics to maybe whet your appetite until the next update:

15977577581_b2c0c3ba07.jpg

15357836474_755447cbca.jpg

Filling in the shoulderpad gaps that were created adding in the crux terminatus'.  Another, smaller, round of filling followed by sanding and surfacing should finish the pads off. 

15954340506_343a83869d_z.jpg

Same deal, more filling sanding and potential surfacing.  Might add a few bits and bobs to the shoulders. 

15980101375_d041b38fcd.jpg

15357851074_802f7123ac.jpg

Anybody know a good loadout for a devastator sergeant? Auspex and a ?

That's all for tonight folks-- gonna work on basing some models before heading to bed. It's been a long day. Thanks for looking. 

• 3 weeks later...

I always take storm bolters on my sergeants to reap as much benefit from Bolter Drill as possible, but I do use IF CT's so not sure what'd be good for a Templar. Flamer? Give them a bit of defense against charging?

Not a bad idea.  I am making some sternguard with heavy flamers for a similar deterrent, but a combi couldn't hurt.  Though a combi-grav seems tempting for that 3 shot salvo. Hmmm. 

I dont know why I havent found your thread before! This inspires me to pick up my own old 40k chapter and do some work on em. Might have to make a second log..... just know its your fault! :tongue.:

I'll gladly accept full responsibility if my thread gets provides the impetus forum brethren need to work on their armies!

Christmas is finally over, and now that various siblings (both in my family and my fiance's) have either left, or are prepping to leave-- I finally am presented with the opportunity to sit at my table and get some :censored: hobbying done! Thank the Emperor! Here is a sampling of things I've worked on today:

15511512314_00f15de0d5_z.jpg

Master of the forge got a spiffy headswap, and a new *magnetized* backpack gun! I also repurposed the "servitor" from a few pages back to be a future ammo belt loader.  

15511517784_d689dd6d7d.jpg

Better shot of the new head.  The halo is from the tempestus scion box.  The plan is to replace the spikes with cog spokes, and to add a bionic to the eye and some cables to make the head resemble the Mechanicus symbol.   It personally bugs me that to take multiple relics, you need to take a master of the forge while other codecii get to take a chaplain.  This ought to be a good middle ground.

16108084476_2603e98e60_z.jpg

15511541014_d11f6b7a83_z.jpg

In the process of converting the other 4 models in the legion of the damned box I got for christmas for use in crusader squads. Removing all the flame details is time consuming, but the poses are so characterful I think it's worth it.  I really like the hybrid mk iv/vi helmet the top guy has-- the iron warrior set has some awesome helmets once the horns are removed.

15514137883_0812a858ff_z.jpg

A multi-melta and a salvaged siege drill, both off of eBay for the siege dreadnought.  Try as I might, I canot get behind the flame cannon option for this dread.  Still trying to figure out a hunter killer solution for this badass.

15511528444_7a2cf54608.jpg

This turret had a few nasty casting issues, but overall it is a much better weapon system than the atrocious turret of the stock kit.  I figure if I can find a cheap assault cannon razorback turret on eBay, I'll snag it and swap them out as needed considering I have to make a razorback for the reclusiam command squad.  Whatever I don't use on the raven will be on the razor.

15946567840_4eaeba0623_z.jpg

The amount of work I would have to put into the chapterhouse sponsons to make them look good wasn't worth the time or headaches, so I put a crusader sprue on my wishlist. Now that they are glued in place, I can start the process of adding wiring and lenses (and itll give me a chance to try out my new tentacle maker toolbox-- something I'm very excited about!)

That's all for tonight folks-- I'll try and get more pictures up this week as I get stuff done.  Hope you had a happy holiday, and will start 2015 off right! 

Hard to believe this is the last update of 2014; a lot of progress made, but a lot left unfinished-- hopefully the new year will see some of these projects wrapped up and primed up to be painted!  Here's some more pics of things I managed to get done the last few days:

16130671036_406fc09fb2_z.jpg

15970412999_56c0082816_z.jpg

New heavy flamer veterans for the sternguard squads were made.  I'm quite pleased with how they are shaping up.

16154563491_19e97c864d.jpg

16155717102_403cdc2b69_z.jpg

My biker chaplain got a nice new lectern on the back of his bike, courtesy of the brettonian questing knight set.

15969167890_ae278c908e_z.jpg

15536743683_5b21661f59_z.jpg

Emperor's champion got a second reliquary integrated into the shoulder pad, as well as armor plate for his thighs off of the Ivanus Enkomi model. 

16130696206_c7c61050f1.jpg

Backpack topper from the legion of the damned sergeant has been turned into an ornament for the Prometheus' sponson (mainly as a means to cover some pins I had drilled in to secure the weapon/armor hybridization).  If I can find a second one of those toppers I will do the same to the other side.  Now's a good time to open the floor to naming that tank-- emperor knows it's been through enough hell that it warrants one! 

And Lastly...

16130644366_943ba8c0d1_z.jpg

This ram. Oh god help me this ram! The dang thing fell off my bookshelf and broke into about 8 pieces about 15 minutes after the last update.  Since then I have painstakingly put the thing back together, and nearly lost my mind in the process.  Now I just need to fill in the gaps and cracks, surface the model and sand it; but she's destined for the skies and not the trash can, so there's that small mercy.

This year was a lot like a roller coaster-- there were highs and lows, ups and downs and a lot of unnecessary scares!   Here's hoping 2015 will be a smoother ride!  Happy New Year! And once again, thanks for following this blog!