Chaplain's hobby misc. Red Gobbo!

Good lord, where does the time go-- almost a month since the last update.   Well, as it turns out I've helped a few friends move, before undergoing a move of my own; and a multitude of other things.  So, hobby time has become a precious commodity of late.  

That said, progress on my ETL vow is slowly but surely being made.

The razorback for my ETL vow has gone from:

18944339323_a4b146db73.jpg

Built and primed

19558241382_e1335a82a5_n.jpg

To basecoated

19377117238_00b703fab0_z.jpg

To almost completely done.  Here are some other angles.

19558292172_7ff953f0f2.jpg

19378567459_83874396f2.jpg

And here it is in the background, dozer attached, following its reclusiam command squad (which I've also been working on)

19558339962_7e04884da5_z.jpg

Lastly, the siege master:

19539019796_fe1b1dd15c_z.jpg

I decided to go with the metallic casing for the sword as you all suggested, though I think I am going to mottle it/speckle it with 2 additional true metallic paints I have from vallejo liquid series, for a "gold marble" effect if you will.  You can see some of the small sponge marks I am able to achieve via the chipped paint on the leg greaves <an effect I hope came across all right; I don't want these guys to look like they came to war straight from the parade ground>.  The teeth of the sword are being painted with a mix of black and varying purples before I give it a high gloss finish, to come across as obsidian toothed (just like the description for the actual teeth of terra.)   I decided to shoot for a green marble for the temple bases (namely characters), to contrast against the bone armor. This is only 2 coats in, lots of work to do on the base yet.

Overall, there is a lot of cleaning up and finishing left ahead of me, but I am confident that (real life permitting), I might be able to have my ETL vow done by next week!  And, if the fates allow-- that should be around when I get my airbrush back from the shop; so I won't have to necessarily hand paint my next vow!

In further news, my friend donated his old warhammer army to me, including 20 assault marines.  So I have the weapon arms and legs for use on siege assault squads and other projects once they are thoroughly stripped!  

++Also, this project log hit 20 pages! Woohoo!++

Edited by The_Chaplain

UPS crash ate my update! Oh well, here it is again.  Vow 1 complete!

19073243703_e730835819_z.jpg

19073329313_91653c9f10.jpg

I'll post additional photos and possibly even some character blurbs later.  For now, I need to decide if I can feasibly make a second vow before the ETL is over considering how crazy things have been lately. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's post is as much of a PSA as it is an update:

I, The_Chaplain, vow to complete 3 vindicators kitted with siege shields, extra armor and storm bolters (435) and 3 centurion devastators armed with grav cannons and a sergeant with omni-scope (250) for a total of 685 points on or before August 1, 2015.   Success will bring eternal glory for the Confessors who fight alongside the Black Templar forum; and failure will doom me to wear the badge of shame until the years end.

Furthermore, as the ante has been officially upped-- I will add the stipulation that if I fail in this task, I will have to convert and paint a daemon prince as well as the chaos sorcerer I previously "vowed" as potential penance.

20039071215_74c0b19601.jpg

19852604959_617a0af557.jpg

20044621211_28f9c36f8f.jpg

Get your vows for the ETL finished!  Next time I post, it should be with my completed 2nd vow!  Stay tuned! 

Can't wait to see 'em done buddy!

Well, wait no further because they're done as of today!

20126891275_687c4100c6_c.jpg

19940457730_3e0cdb1ec2.jpg

19940440298_04483f9746.jpg

19940513898_f0c72d32dd.jpg

20134172351_b816c94b92_z.jpg

While this brings my involvement in this year's ETL to a close-- but rest assured I'm going to continue working on getting stuff painted when I can. But first, I might tackle a modelling project or two as a "break" of sorts.  One such project is going to be building my new Spartan, which I snagged off of eBay.  The problem?  It didn't come with instructions.  Oh boy...

That's all for tonight folks, thanks for stoppin' by!

Oh and of course:  Finish your ETL vows! 

Edited by The_Chaplain

Those are the toughest centurions I've seen. Awesome.

Thanks for the major compliment brother.  Hopefully if/when I pick up a second squad I'll be able to make them look just as tough.

So, I woke up this morning feeling pretty invigorated, so I thought to myself "why not tackle that spartan?"

20142338175_5f99712539_z.jpg

Here's where I am  after about 2 hours.  There were a ton of resin channels, flash, etc. that needed to be cleaned as well as some warping that needed to be addressed.  Still, not bad for a morning's work, right?

Edited by The_Chaplain

A Spartan?

http://media.giphy.com/media/wD7BsjK5zqLew/giphy.gif

Good Luck Brother! May Patience ever be on your side!

I've always hated those heads that come with the Ven Dread kit - your centurions are the first time I've like them on a model! Chapeau monsieur!

Also that Spartan hull - you don't happen to have any stormraven wings lying around.....

Just read through the whole of this log, my my fantastic conversions!

Glad to see some paint on the models too, they look great.

Not too keen on the green bases personally, they seem to draw my eye away from the model to just look at the base.

Anyway keep up the great work man!

Bob Hunk: Thanks brother, I was pretty on the fence about the idea until I sat down and cobbled it together, after that I was impressed with it.  I think it helps detract some of the ridiculousness of the fembot style gun placement.

Muggs: Merci Beaucoup! Sadly, I don't have any spare raven wings-- though that is a hilarious mental picture.

Vulkan454: Thank you for the constructive criticism.  To be perfectly honest, I'm about 50/50 on the green marble bases myself.  I'm open to alternate color/basing ideas; I'm just trying to figure out alternate basing to a 100% asphalt "black" base, especially for units that will wind up charging into buildings more often than not or camping in cover.

Andvarr V: Thank you, that's very kind.  I'm of the belief that army themes work best when they are approached with a certain amount of subtlety.  

Sockwithaticket: Thank you very much brother; though my painting skills leave a bit to be desired.  Still, it feels good to finally paint stuff.

Slipstreams:  I just about ran out of patience putting this damn spartan together.  The track assembly and casting was atrocious.  That said...

20164473518_7959ae4a76_z.jpg

I will be damned if I let a chunk of resin bring me low!

So, besides finishing the raw assembly of the Spartan (which has a lot of cleanup before its ready for paint), I've periodically taken a few breaks from the frustrating spartan to work on this fellow:

20326308466_2d4fea9f67.jpg

"Grimaldus" has gotten some attention since he was seen last.  I replaced a shoulderpad with a skull pad which coincidentally lowered the arm profile for a hopefully convincing bringing the pistol to bear pose.  The base is temporary, they are just pinned to this set of legs from a mini I wasn't pleased with and repurposed.   There is some nasty cracking in the gorget of the armor (an unfortunate accident from my dremel slipping and gouging the chest piece as well as the helmet, which has had to be resurfaced somewhat.)  I'll remedy it one way or another.  

Some minor news: I have some recent acquisitions for the Confessors either inbound or on the table for paint and prep-- a second landraider Prometheus (bringing my LR total to 6!), 2 vindicators, a Deimos predator and some Rapiers which should arrive next week.  Once the weather cools down, it'll be time to start some mass vehicle painting!  Oh boy! 

Something tankish - literally - about that Spartan, how was it so difficult???

The tracks.  They had extra links that needed to be cut down, they needed cutting and sanding to fit into the chassis in some parts, the chassis itself had a lot of casting issues where the tracks needed to go, so those needed to be gouged and reshaped extensively.   It was all dealt with in course, but the process was slow, because it was so extensive.   Even now I have to fabricate some pieces to fix broken track links, because some were extremely brittle.    

Something tankish - literally - about that Spartan, how was it so difficult???

The tracks. They had extra links that needed to be cut down, they needed cutting and sanding to fit into the chassis in some parts, the chassis itself had a lot of casting issues where the tracks needed to go, so those needed to be gouged and reshaped extensively. It was all dealt with in course, but the process was slow, because it was so extensive. Even now I have to fabricate some pieces to fix broken track links, because some were extremely brittle.

Yeeeesh! That does sound like a bit of a nightmare

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the record, I'm plodding along with painting at home-- been dealt a few rough cards this week to try and deal with; but I'm determined to keep plugging away in my off hours.  Here's what I've been working on:

20693360421_2a3830ccd1_z.jpg

3 rapiers, 2 vindicators, 3 landraiders, a rhino primaris, a deimos predator and a sicaran* all basecoated. 

Not pictured are my Sicaran which is similarly basecoated, and my spartan-- which is now primed.  Front and center is the Deimos, which I've managed to strip overnight.  20 assault marines from a marine lot my friend graciously donated are currently undergoing "the dip", and should be ready for Siege Vanguard makeover very shortly.

...I need to order some more paint for my "Confessors Khaki" mix; sadly I've yet to find a color equivalent.  

I should have the Excelsior ready for priming after tomorrow; as I'm having some fit issues with an extra armour kit, and will have a friend look at it first.

Edited by The_Chaplain

• 4 weeks later...

Hello folks, it's certainly been a while!  I'm still around and kicking, just been absurdly busy doing stuff-- including but not limited to helping my wife get the start of her first 40k army off the ground; as well as participating in a local escalation league with my Confessors! 

I haven't been working on these guys nearly as much as I would like, but I should be getting back to the table more frequently very soon.  That said, I have knocked out 20 siege assault marines; either building them from the bits box or repurposing certain models from various projects.  Here are a few of them. 

21394540255_d650ab9c8b_n.jpg

21368298956_da96a13388_n.jpg

21206372100_d333700a33_n.jpg

21206713998_b0ac343dab_n.jpg

21368341826_dfea035de3_n.jpg

21394582935_89609cc64d_n.jpg

21383732182_6e3c7119e8_n.jpg

20773510123_6303babcf1_n.jpg

21383732182_6e3c7119e8_n.jpg

21206710918_d04f9413e3_n.jpg

I love the pose on this guy-- a mid charge reload of the meltagun.  The problem? He leans over the base by a hefty margin.  I might have to get some of the extension rings Secret Weapon makes to convert certain bases to 32mm to prevent that overhang.  

21403010851_934d135ba6_n.jpg

A dead on front shot doesn't do this sergeant justice-- it wouldn't convey the sense of motion in the charge.  I just love how the lightning claw is either being raised in defiance or being brought down to carve into somebody like a turkey. 

As you might expect-- shaving all of the icons off of the combat shields and stripping as much of the paint off the assault marine legs was a time consumptive process.  Worth it in the end though, I am quite pleased with how these have turned out.  There are a few odds and ends to finish out these guys: finding studded shoulderpads, gluing some more grenades, cleaning the remaining mold lines, etc.  Then it's off to paint prep.  Incidentally, if you have an interesting piece of heraldry/coat of arms you'd like to share via PM or in the thread, please send it my way.  I'd love all these shields to look different and unique. 

Now that I'm back in the saddle so to speak, I've got the modelling bug something fierce!   The Siege Assault Vanguard calls to me... but where will it's siren song lead me?  Stay tuned.
Edited by The_Chaplain

Thanks for the support brothers, much appreciated.

I've been plinking away at some marines the last few nights, color priming all my infantry as well as my caestus assault ram before sitting down and working on the 4 sergeants I have.  

Here are the sergeants as they stand now:

21598176032_212fae049c_n.jpg

21583358446_a84a4fa1c2_n.jpg

21422618749_961df672c1_n.jpg

21598181622_944cb095d3_n.jpg

This is turning out to be a very laborious process, but if it's worth doing-- it's worth doing right.  Another night or two and these sergeants should be ready, weathered and based.  

Edited by The_Chaplain