Chaplain's hobby misc. Red Gobbo!

Thanks for all the comments guys, much appreciated.  Even you Vash-- there is a reason I'm a modeller and not a gamer.  

Today I spent a good chunk of time cleaning and organizing, but I did manage to get some table time in:

16422383147_1ea25f1725.jpg

16422386757_9531f979bc.jpg

Finished the stud detailing on the last set of centurion legs; and while they all need another round of surfacing and sanding, I am pretty chuffed with the result.  I couldn't get one stud to line up right, so I figured I would cover up the "bald spot" with a swinging smoking censer-- which is a kitbash of a dark angel censer and a skaven censer that was hollowed out to fit around the DA bit.

16443876219_fa52ffaa25.jpg

16443879199_34165ce9dc.jpg

found both the combi-melta that had fallen off this captain model as well as the rope bits from the limited edition captain-- and set to work on the model for the evening.  I removed the belt feeds from Marneus Calgar's powerfists and fashioned an ammo feed for the combi-melta (using part of a hurricane bolter to finish off the belt).  I couldn't get a mk3 helmet to fit into the socket properly, so I went the unhelmeted route.  Marneus' head has the right amount of movement and visual intrigue to make it look like he is roaring orders from atop some battlements.  Hopefully I can sculpt a decent enough tabard and fabricate a new groin plate to finish this model off; after some gap filling and other small detailing that is. 

That's it for tonight, thanks for looking folks! 

Edited by The_Chaplain

Counts-as Androcles is looking great, nice movement to him - like you say, I can picture him bellowing orders in the midst of smoke and explosions. The Mark III gives him a good solidity and brutalness that matches his gear.

I still can't stand the Centurions at all, but I've gotta respect what you've done with them, it's improved them hugely.

• 2 weeks later...

@JackDaw: Thank you kindly for the compliment brother!  

Today's update is a small one, and for uncomfortable reasons.  I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel this week- and managing to do anything overly intricate is proving difficult with these bulky wrist wraps I have to wear.  Still, I am determined to not be deterred!

16569577460_2d83e36e70_n.jpg

16134671954_b6e5b883fc_n.jpg

16755814051_495e01817c_n.jpg

And a group shot:

16570868309_a3e64aaf6a.jpg

Hopefully this current condition will be a temporary one, but I will continue to work and update when I can; I think the next thing I'm going to tackle is basing these bastards.  Hopefully I can get at least one more update up before my wedding-- T-minus 20 days and counting!  Thanks for looking! 

Edited by The_Chaplain

Whoa. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Not to go too far off-topic, but do you type a lot? That always used to be the reason people struggled with it, but I haven't heard as much about it since keyboard designs changed. The reason I ask is because I type all day for a living, and one of the best, though most challenging decisions I made in the last few years was to switch to an alternative keyboard layout called Dvorak. It's far more natural to type, and while it took me a while to get used to it my speed and accuracy are far better than they used to be with QWERTY, and the best part is I never have any fatigue from typing. And I mean ever. No aches at all, since my hands stick much more closely to the home row. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in hearing more, or just Google it. It's not too hard to find info on it. 

Edited by JeffTibbetts

Thanks for the support guys, it means a lot.  The braces are helping a considerable deal already, and I'm positive this won't be a long term problem.   

@JeffTibbets: I do type a good deal, but a more common problem is that I toss and turn in my sleep and tend to sleep on my hands at awkward angles.  Using the braces at night, I don't seem to be having that problem so far-- although it's only been a couple of days.   Unfortunately, all of my typing is done on a laptop, as that is currently my only computer.  I am looking into getting another desktop at some point, so hearing that there are more ergonomic keyboards out there is pretty terrific news.

Thanks for the support guys, it means a lot.  The braces are helping a considerable deal already, and I'm positive this won't be a long term problem.   

@JeffTibbets: I do type a good deal, but a more common problem is that I toss and turn in my sleep and tend to sleep on my hands at awkward angles.  Using the braces at night, I don't seem to be having that problem so far-- although it's only been a couple of days.   Unfortunately, all of my typing is done on a laptop, as that is currently my only computer.  I am looking into getting another desktop at some point, so hearing that there are more ergonomic keyboards out there is pretty terrific news.

You're going to like me or hate me... I only use a laptop as well. I actually use a standard keyboard (even though they do make them with rearranged keys or you can get stickers to put over them) and just select the alternative layout in the software. It's baked right into both Windows and Macs (not sure about Linux but I'd be shocked if it wasn't there). You choose it like an a different language option. I will say, last time I used a PC it wasn't implemented very well so I often had to manually switch it around. If you're like me, you probably don't look at the keyboard at all when you type, so it's no big deal the keys don't have the same letters on them. Side benefit, it's like a security hack because once you learn it, nobody else will be able to use your computer. It's hilarious to watch someone else try to use it. :D

• 5 weeks later...

The Centurions are looking sweet fella, I really enjoy seeing this blog progress. I'm sorry to hear about your hands man, I imagine it must be tough. 

Congratulations on getting married! 

Thanks brother!  The carpal tunnel does flare up and bother me from time to time, but for the most part it is manageable, and I like to think it's better than some of the alternatives it could have been/could have done to me and my hobbying.  A minor neusance compared to something catastrophic.

The wedding and honeymoon were a lot of fun and I am feeling recharged, and starting working on models almost as soon as I got back.  Expect some pictures this weekend once we've cleared out the SD card on the macro from our trip! 

Okay, so I actually managed to snap a few cellphone pictures so I can briefly talk about some Confessors ETL prep:

First of all, I ordered an airbrush-- it should be arriving next week.  At the moment I am compiling a paint list from several recipes and attempting to get those ducks in a row.  I'd really like to get my hands on some Scale 75 paint sets with the ultra matte finish they provide, but I can't find a US distributor.  If anyone knows of a US distributor for Scale 75 paint, let me know.

Model work since getting home (pictured):

16913615038_2ec73cea51.jpg

Certain models are getting scroll loincloths and other cloth work done with metal sheeting.  This is to cover nasty seams and kitbashing legs together.  Here is another example:

17100675011_696dd06563.jpg

All that remains to do on the Emperor's champion is some chain detailing on this shoulderpad with the purity seals.  

17099806132_a2ef0fe583.jpg

Two new LRCs are being assembled for use in a Hailstorm Squadron.  I've ordered a second Loricatus armor kit, but I might try and get a 3rd.  The green LRC was from the prometheus several pages back, that had had some parts melted in paint stripping.  A bits order fixed it all up.

16481210683_c1a5e6faf2.jpg

Got some gap filling and sanding done on the Caestus Assault Ram, as well as some more filing and gluing of skulls.  I need about 18 skulls to finish out this bit of detailing.

17075424716_bbd935a4c2.jpg

Removed my attempt at trim on the stormraven, re-surfaced parts and sanded the model.  I lost the tail somehow, so got a new one off ebay.  If Subtle Discord comes out with his storm eagle kit, I'll snag it for an extra armour/armoured ceramite look.   The hurricane bolters are magnetized.

16915134549_a1c7e4d736.jpg

Using a dremel, I attempted to engrave custom bases for the 3 centurions so that they match Secret Weapon's "Ruined Temple" bases.  I added some small beads for shell casings and some cork rubble.  The next step will be adding some smoke to some of the hurricane bolter barrels that don't look as nice as I had hoped they would ;P

16913559448_3076a3b01c.jpg

The beginnings of a custom Omni-Scope conversion.  This bit is from the DA landspeeder vengeance.

I got some work done on tracks for a future razorback and one of the vindicators, but didn't take pictures.  Waiting on some bits to finish the reclusiam command squad, and to start a custom model for my Siege master.  If all goes well, this is a list of potential models I could paint for the ETL.

Siege master<?>, captain on bike, reclusiam command squad on bikes, 2 crusader squads, 2/3 landraider crusaders, 1 landraider prometheus, storm talon, 1 vindicator with siege shield, 2 dreadnoughts, Emperor's Champion.  If I'm really lucky, I could get the caestus, sicaran, 2nd vindicator, and stormraven prepped and ready in time too.
Edited by The_Chaplain

Brother Tyrax: Thanks brother, I'm looking forward to the glory stage myself.

DSS7: The ram is getting finished for sure, I want to vow it for ETL this year if I can.

00Branchow: Thanks brother! 

Okay, lot of pictures today, so bear with me (internet has crashed on me twice while trying to make this post, haha)

Master of the forge:

17175991912_c5a82612fa.jpg

16989887248_dba22a03ed.jpg

17177644285_90eaf2582e_n.jpg

First of all, let me express that I was not happy at all with the bionic that I had originally given the MotF-- so when I had the opportunity to change it with some parts after picking up a techmarine with servitors (for the servo harness which is a magentized option), I pounced on it like a starved tiger.  The new bionic has a much more organic flow, while keeping some asymmetry in the silhouette that I love.  One last round of greenstuffing cables and fixing the robe on the servitor will round this conversion out.

Biker captain Kalcheskis:

16555274014_3f1a4d1625.jpg

16970297867_78fd903a30.jpg

Still not 100% keen on the backpack, which I may end up swapping or tinkering with before the ETL; but with the exception of some last minute gap filling he is otherwise done and ready for paint! 

Emperor's Champion:

17151776316_e64ec103a9.jpg

16990206020_9b6bf4b763.jpg

16990208990_a8df01a0f1.jpg

16970334257_2c551178ea.jpg

Behold the champ in all his finished glory! Look as he stands ready to smite the foes of the emperor!  (after I sand that ugly slipped mold line on his backpack that is. Eesh).

Siege Master:

17176010872_6b66fb031a.jpg

16991500469_e30e72131e.jpg

16557494873_7926cbb159.jpg

Finally managed to acquire a Loken body for the Siege Master I've had planned for what seems like an eternity.  The halo is from the new plastic Sanguinary priest, as is the chainsword that will be the counts as Teeth of Terra.  The backpack sensor is from the deathwing terminator apothecary, the sword hand is from the "chaplain with skull helmet" model, and the storm shield is from Space Hulk with the BA blood drop replaced with an Aquila from a Sternguard<?> shoulder pad.   Just need to order his head and shoulderpads now!  

Thanks for looking folks!  Gotta get ready to head to GW with a buddy so I can get some more work done on the modelling front!  

Edited by The_Chaplain

...oh dear, here goes all my likes again...

That Emp's Champ, great stuff, can't wait to see more of it!

May I ask what you used for both the Emp's arms and the MotF's bionic skull head please?

Emperor's champion arms are either Mk2 or Mk3 heated and bent into shape.  

Master of the forge's head is a mix of the Legion of the damned sergeant head and part of a servitor head (with an added bionic lens from an Iron hands upgrade head)

Son of Dorn: thank you for the compliment brother.

Edited by The_Chaplain