Chaplain's hobby misc. Red Gobbo!

Not dead folks-- just been working. A lot.  Did manage to sneak back to the table for a little work today though:

17136419320_13584c77c6.jpg

Got the additional bit needed for the omniscope on the sergeant.  Still haven't fiddled with adding smoke to the gun barrels yet though.

Finished my chaplain!:

17322121622_71d4c78172.jpg

Glued the rest of the skulls on to the caestus ram doors, glued a new dozer onto the second vindicator. Mounted the new sponson plates onto my 2nd landraider crusader.

Hopefully my airbrush arrives in the next few days...I've got the urge to paint.  Good thing a painting competition is coming up. :wink:

And before I go, I leave you with some music to get you all as pumped as I am at the moment:

Edited by The_Chaplain

Judas Priest AND Confessors?! That's a treat. 

I am really looking forward to seeing paint on these boys. The Chaplain is looking fantastic and I'm a big fan of that helmet on the Centurion. 

Thanks Tyrax, I'm really liking your Marines Malevolent!  Hopefully that airbrush comes soon so I can start painting!  Hahaha, yeah-- metal is one of my lifeblood music genres when it comes to working on stuff; the other is retrowave. 

HECK YES! PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS!  love the use of the head on the centurion, and that biker chaplain is probably the best one i've ever seen, all gussied up as he is. :biggrin.:

Thanks a lot AA, I worked hard on that chaplain-- glad the effort I exerted came through and added to the gravitas of the end model.  Gussied up? Hardly.  If any model is going to look like a walking talking church-- it ought to be the battle priest! 

That Chaplain looks like a monster. Good job. Looking forward to seeing him painted.

Thanks Radiation; I'm looking forward to painting him!  

Well, what can I say other than I've more or less finished my siege master*, and so I'd like to present to you...Czesar Nakhimov, exalted lord of the breach!!

17358227882_2a9fc1d514.jpg

17334174326_78abdb3a09.jpg

17360149655_b46bd56739.jpg

17360159035_cdccb38819.jpg

*Mostly finished anyway; gonna finish up the gap filling, sanding, etc. in the next few days and see if I can find a suitable statue bit to have laying in ruin on the base as well as gluing on some rubble.  I'm not too keen on the :0 face on the shoulderpad, though I'm at a loss as to what to replace it with.  Also debating having a censer or lantern attached and dangling/bouncing off the front of the shield on a chain.  

If I have some :censored: downtime this week I will try and knock out the rest of the reclusiam command squad, order some bits, etc. and wait (as always) for the airbrush to arrive.  Would've ordered the dang thing before the wedding and honeymoon if I knew it was going to take so long!  So it goes...

'Til next time! 

Edited by The_Chaplain

• 2 weeks later...

That SM is frickin' sweet! Got a great poise, I can just imagine him screaming Henry the Vth quotes as he storms a breach. 

Once more unto the breach, battle brothers, once more;

Or close the wall up with our Astartes dead!  

After some scavenging around, multiple phone calls, store visits, etc.  I have finally procured an airbrush!  Almost immediately I set to work priming minis for the ETL, and after a second pass-- vow 1 is primed and ready for paint* !!

18020646826_7571e76799_z.jpg

gonna order a few more paints and some more primer but as of now I have vow 1, a vindicator, a landraider crusader and my caestus assault ram all primed up and ready for paint whenever.  It's happening folks, stuff is finally getting painted!  All aboard the hype train! 

(*Timmy the practice tank is not the razorback I will be vowing, he just wanted to photobomb)

Edited by The_Chaplain

Brother Tyrax: that Bison clip never fails to amuse me.  Yes!

DSS7: Thanks! I'm very excited to see how the airbrush will handle the task.  If the end result is as smooth as the primer application, it should make for some smooth paintjobs across the board!

Commissar Molotov: Thank you! Yeah, it seems unreal finally sitting down to paint stuff, but once stuff is painted it means I can move onto the next project I wanna do for the Confessors, haha!

So, while my airbrush is soaking overnight-- I have a model update!

2nd vindicator is now ready for priming and painting!

17869197860_4f970b4e7e.jpg 

17870636379_905a4be1cc.jpg

The tank to the left of the vindicator?  The start of the reclusiam command squad's razorback for my ETL vow.  

17436407643_832c2fa9a2.jpg

Here's a closer look at the WIP dozer blade conversion.  I was fortunate that a plasticard variety pack (which I had purchased to fix my broken sicaran treads) had a piece of card thick enough to plug most of the cannon gap in the siege shield.  The end result should be a humongous dozer blade befitting a marine tank.  Just gotta figure out what alternate doors I want to slap on it and try to find a forgeworld extra armor kit...

Centurions are ready for prime and paint!

18054717922_e1193cf58e.jpg

17871876619_c57f422730.jpg

I added smoke contrails to the barrels I wasn't happy with the drilling of, and personally I really like the effect; it adds some additional movement to these models.  I forgot to take a picture of the third centurion, but I actually primed him earlier in the day.

That's it for now, thanks for looking! 

Everything's looking good as usual. I really like the idea of the huge dozer blade on the command squad's razorback. Have you considered using the FW Deimos Rhino to really set the Razorback apart from the other vehicles? I happen to have one laying around if you'd like to try it.

Ephrael: thanks brother, hadn't given it thought at all; but the idea holds merit.  Either for the command squad razorback or for the rhino primaris I need to do.

It brings me great joy to say this this morning, but the Sicaran is fixed up and ready for prime and paint!

17898098909_b64e458419.jpg

Here is a closer look at some of the stuff I had to fix it up  this morning:

17896467540_ce45954db5.jpg

18057686106_09b06c8479_n.jpg

17897955309_41667985ae.jpg

Using plasticard, milliput and an unbelievable amount of elbow grease, I've got the severely broken treads fixed, the chipped engine block flush with the chassis and fixed a broken off piece on the accelerator auto cannon.  After that was all completed, (and before I can do my final round of sanding and surfacing), my attentions turned to the command razorback dozer...

17896284338_e33525b122.jpg

Another round of gap filling on the dozer and some sanding ought to round out the dozer blade conversion.  

Have a great Memorial Day folks-- it's easy to get swept up in the fantasy of the grim dark far future and it's host of exotic and fantastic soldiers; but make sure to take a moment and remember the men and women who have given their lives in our own, and often times, grim & dark present.

Edited by The_Chaplain

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks, just popping on for a quick-ish update to let you know that progress is being made, and to give you some insight into new projects I've been working on with the new codex dropping, and ideas for going beyond that.  

My ETL vow:

18819013186_e3dea5a14c_c.jpg

Apologies for the poor picture quality, been trying to take pictures for days-- but the lightning is never particularly good.  At this stage, I want to say I'm about 60% done with the bikers and the siege master portions of my vow.  I need to finish the metallics, do some weathering (to that end, hopefully my chipping fluid I ordered will ship soon), paint the apothecarie's face (no eta on my scale 75 flesh set arriving sadly).  After that, it will be adding snow to the tires, and then painting the razorback.   I have sent my airbrush off to be fixed-- so hopefully it gets back in time for me to complete the tank portion of this vow, and maybe even make a second vow if I'm lucky.  Having had to hand paint everything is a very slow process with my carpal tunnel, but it beats not contributing to this year's event!

Frag assault launcher conversion:

18848053011_075c3301b9.jpg

For those wondering about purchasing the Loricatus armor kit from the Dark Works and it not meshing with the crusader/redeemer pattern; rest assured.  With some minimal cutting, you can get the frag launchers to fit just fine.  Some plasticard to cover the gaps rounds out this very minor conversion.

Vindicator storm bolter "conversion":

18848044701_e021d6ce3c.jpg

I've been working on a 3rd vindicator for the ridiculous bonus it has in the new codex; and even though the storm bolter is no longer a "default" piece of the equipment for the tank, it at least gives a 50/50 chance of the vindie not being rendered useless by a weapon destroyed result.   An ammo drum from The Dark Works' vehicle accessory set and a good deal of cutting make for a nice, ornate looking storm bolter.  

Footslogging apothecary:

18224676163_c9002a5461.jpg

a mash-up of the reclusiam command squad chaplain, the plastic sanguinary priest and a head from grimaldus are the foundation for this apothecary.  As a modeller first, and a gamer second, I want to pursue projects that interest me.  Modelling a gritty, siege assault command squad for my siege master is one such project.

"Grimaldus":

18222724984_23c631922c.jpg

I've always loved the confessional stole aesthetic of the Grimaldus model, and even enjoy his rules-- so I decided to use Grimaldus' body as the basis for a counts as grimaldus, and cash in on that sweet FNP bubble at some point. 

And a little something special came in the mail today:

18840077682_5b0e5ed7db.jpg

Stay tuned folks, another update should come around soon enough! 

Edited by The_Chaplain

Looking damn good brother! I'd love to see some close up shots of your painted minis once they're done to your satisfaction.

I am really liking SD's extra armour, I think I may get some from my Prometheus. 

I will be sure to do so BT; also-- I absolutely recommend the Loricatus kit, it's beautiful in person.  

Hey folks, just popping on for a quick-ish update to let you know that progress is being made, and to give you some insight into new projects I've been working on with the new codex dropping, and ideas for going beyond that.

My ETL vow:

18819013186_e3dea5a14c_c.jpg

Apologies for the poor picture quality, been trying to take pictures for days-- but the lightning is never particularly good. At this stage, I want to say I'm about 60% done with the bikers and the siege master portions of my vow. I need to finish the metallics, do some weathering (to that end, hopefully my chipping fluid I ordered will ship soon), paint the apothecarie's face (no eta on my scale 75 flesh set arriving sadly). After that, it will be adding snow to the tires, and then painting the razorback. I have sent my airbrush off to be fixed-- so hopefully it gets back in time for me to complete the tank portion of this vow, and maybe even make a second vow if I'm lucky. Having had to hand paint everything is a very slow process with my carpal tunnel, but it beats not contributing to this year's event!

Frag assault launcher conversion:

18848053011_075c3301b9.jpg

For those wondering about purchasing the Loricatus armor kit from the Dark Works and it not meshing with the crusader/redeemer pattern; rest assured. With some minimal cutting, you can get the frag launchers to fit just fine. Some plasticard to cover the gaps rounds out this very minor conversion.

Vindicator storm bolter "conversion":

18848044701_e021d6ce3c.jpg

I've been working on a 3rd vindicator for the ridiculous bonus it has in the new codex; and even though the storm bolter is no longer a "default" piece of the equipment for the tank, it at least gives a 50/50 chance of the vindie not being rendered useless by a weapon destroyed result. An ammo drum from The Dark Works' vehicle accessory set and a good deal of cutting make for a nice, ornate looking storm bolter.

Footslogging apothecary:

18224676163_c9002a5461.jpg

a mash-up of the reclusiam command squad chaplain, the plastic sanguinary priest and a head from grimaldus are the foundation for this apothecary. As a modeller first, and a gamer second, I want to pursue projects that interest me. Modelling a gritty, siege assault command squad for my siege master is one such project.

"Grimaldus":

18222724984_23c631922c.jpg

I've always loved the confessional stole aesthetic of the Grimaldus model, and even enjoy his rules-- so I decided to use Grimaldus' body as the basis for a counts as grimaldus, and cash in on that sweet FNP bubble at some point.

And a little something special came in the mail today:

18840077682_5b0e5ed7db.jpg

Stay tuned folks, another update should come around soon enough!

where did the grimaldus head come from its awesome Edited by Warsnail2

where did the grimaldus head come from its awesome

Thanks for posting Warsnail2!  The head is from the chaplain in the Reclusiam Command Squad box (I got the sprue for him off of ebay, rather than paying for the whole box).  A word of warning, the teeth on the helmet are a bit large compared to the other chaplain helmets, comically so-- which is why I had it recessed into a mk8 style gorget torso.

This morning I come seeking the answer to a question:   What color should the casing for the teeth of terra on my Siege Master be?  

18269436243_61fa8da5f8_z.jpg

I'm debating between the same bone of the armor and shield, or black.  Keep in mind the handguard and relief on the sword will be in the same brass metallic as the rest of the model.    What do you think folks?

Edited by The_Chaplain

Maybe the whole of the TOT in gold?  given the relic status. Currently working on a scratch build teeth of Terra myself. When painted will probably be a burnt gold in colour.

Do love that Reclusiam Command chaplain head. Going to need to find me one of those.

traditional black is always nice, so long as it's highlighted.

but i'd agree with Eberious and go for the gold!

glad to see painted stuff! If i may add though, in my personal opinion, that the pieces could really use a wash or agrax earthshade or nuln oil (or the like) to darken the recessed areas, especially around the gorget and leg armor.... just personal nit pick, keep it up!

traditional black is always nice, so long as it's highlighted.

but i'd agree with Eberious and go for the gold!

glad to see painted stuff! If i may add though, in my personal opinion, that the pieces could really use a wash or agrax earthshade or nuln oil (or the like) to darken the recessed areas, especially around the gorget and leg armor.... just personal nit pick, keep it up!

Thanks for the input AA.  I must admit, I'm a bit frustrated considering I've washed all the bone armor twice so far.   One of the problems with my lackluster photographing skills/setup I suppose, is that I can't get the darn things to look like they do in person.  Maybe I should just dip the dang thing in quickshade and call it a day-- which is more or less what it looked like the last time I inked it:  

18888528562_08726ea364_z.jpg

See how dingy and gross that made it look though?  It took me god knows how many hours "fixing" it.   Maybe I should edge highlight with a darker color and then wash it again?   Guh, my hands are cramping just thinking about it!  

...This is why I'm a converter and not a painter folks.  

Edited by The_Chaplain

Haha, I can understand your pain!

What may work, and it's just a simple suggestion mind you, is using a detail brush and dropping in the shade on the edges of of larger, more open areas on the piece. For example, the leg sections and crotch guard. (Pain in the arse though..)

Alternatively, and this is possibly best for future pieces, start with a darker base color, and work your way up to the bone white as more of a highlight/inner color.

For example, whenever I paint whites, I start with VGC stonewall gray (veeery pale gray) hit it with nuln oil, and highlight up to white scar. This may save you from the effects you're getting with the underlying layers of the wash, especially if (and I know you'll hate hearing it) you make multiple heavily thinned passes of the main color across the armor plate to solidify the color, and get rid of the murky layers underneath.

but what do I know, I'm just an amateur teen messin' about anyway :P

Quick dunking works too!

Edited by Argent aquila

where did the grimaldus head come from its awesome

Thanks for posting Warsnail2! The head is from the chaplain in the Reclusiam Command Squad box (I got the sprue for him off of ebay, rather than paying for the whole box). A word of warning, the teeth on the helmet are a bit large compared to the other chaplain helmets, comically so-- which is why I had it recessed into a mk8 style gorget torso.

This morning I come seeking the answer to a question: What color should the casing for the teeth of terra on my Siege Master be?

18269436243_61fa8da5f8_z.jpg

I'm debating between the same bone of the armor and shield, or black. Keep in mind the handguard and relief on the sword will be in the same brass metallic as the rest of the model. What do you think folks?

posting from a phone is a pain lol I'm looking for a good skull for my chaos chaplain guy and it looks goooood