OH HELLO!

that thing is so awesome and I'm really loving the work you've put into it. I really need to up my GS game. That's very very cool, did you do it all in one pass or layers?

So very wicked, make more things now please.

Yours,

Humanity

Two sessions, one layer on each side of the horns each. I usually mix up greenstuff equal to  about the first knuckle of my index finger (knuckle to tip) or slightly less and work with that. The big thing is to not do too much so I put my fingers in fresh greenstuff when I'm handling the model. Plus, that seems to be about enough for me to work on and it still be sticky and workable. The problem now is that the back and all looks so good, I'll have to do more sculpting around the model. :)

Hail Brother rednek,

I'm running low on 'Likes" so had to conserve ammo and mark only two of your posts since last I commented. Although personally a loyal follower of the Emperor (may his light never dim) I find your work most inspirational (Emperor forgive me). Along side my ever expanding beloved Ultramarines I'm building a Wordbearer army. You've given me many ideas (vox caster just recently is just one of many) of which I plan to steal liberally from you:yes:

Clearly, you have tainted me and I must now turn myself over to my Chapter Master for judgement.... Thanks loads:wink:

Hail Brother rednek,

I'm running low on 'Likes" so had to conserve ammo and mark only two of your posts since last I commented. Although personally a loyal follower of the Emperor (may his light never dim) I find your work most inspirational (Emperor forgive me). Along side my ever expanding beloved Ultramarines I'm building a Wordbearer army. You've given me many ideas (vox caster just recently is just one of many) of which I plan to steal liberally from you:yes:

Clearly, you have tainted me and I must now turn myself over to my Chapter Master for judgement.... Thanks loads:wink:

Thanks mate!   Always been a fan of the Word Bearers, I guess I'm attracted to fanatics. I had a Black Templar army for a few years

I just want to know her name.

Unlike the rest of you, Augustus is a true gentlemen. He seeks to know a lady first before glancing at all her holes :teehee:

Its to be expected, he's Dutch. Like Canadians, they are very polite, decent folk who love beer.  Their geese however, also like their Canadian counterparts, are pure, unadulterated evil in plump, feathered form.

I just want to know her name.

Unlike the rest of you, Augustus is a true gentlemen. He seeks to know a lady first before glancing at all her holes :teehee:

Its to be expected, he's Dutch. Like Canadians, they are very polite, decent folk who love beer.  Their geese however, also like their Canadian counterparts, are pure, unadulterated evil in plump, feathered form.

Ha! As a Canadian, I can attest to all these points (jerks are everywhere but we seem to have a lower ratio than many places), but the geese comment, in particular, is spot on with its humour combined with the seriousness of the statement. I've literally crossed to the other side of the road to avoid geese and their potential wrath. It seems hilarious, it's just a bird after all... until you've got one after you!

On subject: Excellent work on blending the greenstuff sculpting in with the original design so seamlessly, while also taking the opportunity to kick it up a notch along the way. Grandpa' smiles on your efforts!

I thought they made their women pay for their own meals?

No, it's the other way around: when dating, some women see it as an insult to the equality between men and women if you pay for them, and proceed to insist on paying half. It can make for very awkward dating. 

I can attest to that comment about geese though. Some even gang up on airplanes and make them their bitch. 

Subtle Discord having grown up about 60 miles south of your border I've had more than a few experiences with your geese.  I had a friend who once quipped "canadians are so nice because they poor all of their hatred and malice into their geese" Also growing up hunting, I can attest that that hatred and malice is also very tasty. :)

As for the Maggoth. I've created a monster with the sculpting. Now I have to add more stuff here and there to keep up the asthetic. I've been trying to work out the engineering for the lower body- thinK Maggoth centaur, with the lower half being a big maggot/grub. I can use a ton of putty, but I'm trying to figure out how to simplify it a bit. Right now I'm thinking about something like glue soaked paper towels to make up the mass, but I have to experiment.  I'll get another update in before I take off for Thanksgiving.

Where were those women when I was a broke college kid? lol

There's a farm around my ma's that uses geese as "guard dogs". It's super effective.

Are you claiming to never have had an awkward date when you were in college? Cause that would be bragging.

STAHP IT

I'd love to see the sculpting, RNB, bring it on!

You can't have an awkward date in college... If you don't have a date in college, I can confirm this.

I really love that sculpt, and I THINK I have remembered what it kind of reminds me of, I think it's the shapes, the colour of the green stuff, the creepiness...

http://www.fightingfantasycollector.co.uk/FF10_zigzag.jpg

It's pulling at nostalgic memories. Very awesome.

Edited by Pandoras Bitz Box

PBB... things are definitely going down more of a horror/Lovecraft/creepy as hell road.....and I'm having a great time with it. :)  

Here's some more progress, y'all! 

guo07.jpg

guo05.jpg

This last bit is how turd daemons are born, kids!!

guo06.jpg

And I had some left over, so I worked on this spawn......

spawn2.jpg

Taking next week off for the Thanksgiving holiday, then back to this bit of grossness. I'm sure I'll be sketching up some nastiness while I'm away. :)

Ha ha ha ha ha, epic. I love the cyclopean rat ogre. The rest of that other guy is looking fantastic too, these are going to be some stunning mini's when painted up. How many of these are you going to work on before starting on the paint? Edited by Pandoras Bitz Box

I adore the sculpting on the maggoth, but are you planning on covering most of it with that stuff? 'Cause as much as I like your GS work, the rest of the figure seems very plain in comparison. 

That's the trap I'm putting myself in.  I do expect to do some skin texture with the paints as well and the upright bit will likely be more sculpted on than the maggot/grub lower body..... but who knows. Probably would be cool if it was all gross and veiny.

PBB- As far as "da kunnin' plan", I'll just do one Maggoth daemon. I'm thinking of it as a deamon that spawns other smalle demons. There will be some Nurglings ( of course.... ya gotta have nurglings) ... but also some of the "creeps" I use in my traitor guard and what will eventually be proxy "termagaunts" since I'm hoping to use this model as a Tervigon for a Tyranid detachment to go with my nurgly/chaos/lovecrafty genestealer cult. (which is tenatively named "The Union of the Snake"....and its on the rise) ;)

Not sure how many spawns. I like to keep one on the desk when I'm working on something else in case I end up with extra workable greenstuff. In the case above, I ruined one of the sculpt spots twice by putting a finger on it while sculpting another area.  This told me..."OK  enough for tonight" so I worked on the spawn.  I will be converting some "plaguebearers" that will continue the theme and look. I'm using Dryads as a base. Going to start sneaking int he "garden of Nurgle/Swamp thing" vibe as I go. Plus.... ya know, tentacles. Lots of tentacles. At one point this coming spring I'll have to start packing up my hobby stuff for our move next year, but until them- aside from getting rid of/selling off some stuff, I'll be consolidating my Chaos and Ork armies for their eventual onslaught on Sarasota.

Very cool, got a nice Shub-Niggorath feel to it with all the lumpiness, tentacles and spawning children. You know, they call them children of the goat or something don't they?... Could go a dryad Beastman mix? But it sounds like you're whole idea is nailed down pretty hard already.

These idea are all fantastically flavoury and your effort is really really solid. love it. If there are some areas of the model looking a bit more plain you could always do patches of details where the density of the detail "fades" towards the edges? As you say, the paint with unifubit and also give the illusion of more detail.

Edited by Pandoras Bitz Box

've been trying to work out the engineering for the lower body- thinK Maggoth centaur, with the lower half being a big maggot/grub. I can use a ton of putty, but I'm trying to figure out how to simplify it a bit. Right now I'm thinking about something like glue soaked paper towels to make up the mass, but I have to experiment.  I'll get another update in before I take off for Thanksgiving.

Tin foil is your friend here. Both my Nid and Ork fleets for BFG used it as a base for sticking things and greenstuff to. 

Once puttied over it's solid as a rock but before you do you get a lot of flexibility to adjust the basic shape.

so many shiny things though and as a Lovecraft fan I'm loving the creepy aesthetic, will be watching closely as the awesomeness continues.