Lorenzen's Abyss: Heresy, Necro & a load of other stuff

Lorenzen

Dead? Did the fluff change?

Culln's (suppossedly) the new special character Leviathan Dreadnought in the next IA book, the one with all the fancy AdMech stuff. Apparently.

Beautiful paint job on that Tactical Marine Lorenzen. I've never been a huge fan of the Red Scorpions' colors, but your version is amazing. Culln is looking very nice too, much improved over the original version.

Your stuff has become eye-achingly painful to look at because its that good.

Everything looks like its a competition entry. I remember looking at your stuff some years ago when i first joined the site and you've just exploded since then in terms of skill. 

Definitely looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Edited by MagicMan

Thanks MagicMan, I'm lucky to have some awesome painters that i can call on for criticism as friends and an urge to improve and eventually win something (plans are being made for next years heresy GD)

ive started putting some paint onto Culln as i decided that the details i was going to add would just make him too cluttered.

13872989_10153711963886406_6801012673431

the yellow is all sorts of not done so is flat as anything, but i'm liking how the gold around his neck is looking so far.

Been busy with turning 30 which is why ive been quiet.. But i come bearing updates! I got the itch to work on something ive had sitting in my hobby room for a little while and its got me in the mood to build and paint the remaining ones i have..

13882277_10153728391041406_1401587245356

House Makabius is getting more reinforcements! got another 4 that need building including a stryix then the long wait for the new knight which im so so glad is on its way.. since the lancer chasis got revealed ive been bugging the designer for a warden/proper warden after gw used the name on something that wasnt a warden..

and because its related.. my lovely girlfriend baked me a suitable cake for my day of old.

13873176_10153725700576406_8137983652131

13886240_10153725700556406_7652078871213

more on the scorpions soon..

• 2 weeks later...

No. :wink:

The model is primed black, then airbrushed with Scale 75 Necro Grey as broad highlights, its then hit with Despair Green on key areas as a zenith highlight and they are built up with a spot highlight of Rlyeh Grey, after that i washed the model with gloss nuln oil, cut out the gloss with some satin varnish and did edge highlighting 1st with rlyeh grey, then smaller finer highlights with skavenblight dinge before doing the sharpest ones with Miskatonic Grey and dot highlights with pure white. (all the scale 75 paints are from the shades of doom set and have silly awkward to spell names)

pretty certain the skavenblight dinge can be left out as its barely noticeable but i wanted something to help the rlyeh grey and miskatonic grey not look too stark

13892368_10153750880536406_2483965102475

Done some more work on him and started blocking in the colour for the frag cannon. gotta figure out how im going to base them before long.

• 1 month later...

You've been asked this a million times before, and Im guessing you're going to be asked a million times in the future, so my apologies...

but can we PLEASE have another tutorial how to paint faces. The one from a few pages ago is down.

Im going trough a few tutorials online trying to get a grasp including the Angel Giraldez and Figone books, but yours are by far the best.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So its time for a little update.. been working on an update for mortarion as i can paint better than i could when i initially did him and wanted to give him a bigger base because a 40mm just looks too small IMHO for primarchs. Still a long way from being finished, but i think you can see just on areas like the shins that he's quite a lot sharper than my last effort. (shown below for comparison)

http://orig00.deviantart.net/f7c0/f/2016/317/e/a/mortarion_by_typhion-dao9ocz.jpg

http://img12.deviantart.net/af38/i/2014/147/4/3/mortarion_front_by_typhion-d7jxoyk.jpg

Maybe i'll do a rebreather on version 3.0... (personally i don't think the master of poisons and chemicals should have one.. but when i get round 2 3.0 it will include a lot of sculpting anyway...)

done a little more work on him and started work on the cloak (which isnt glued in place yet) I am considering starting his base from scratch as generally its an area that lets me down and i dont think the one he has atm is sharp enough detail wise for what i'd like from it.

http://orig06.deviantart.net/0075/f/2016/319/1/7/mortarion2_by_typhion-daojbqs.jpg