Lorenzen's Abyss: Heresy, Necro & a load of other stuff

Lorenzen

1ksonpraetor_by_typhion-dc36qfb.jpg

Better more up to date pic of the praetor, shiny stuff doesn't photograph too well, not sure what it is you think is wrong with the armour.. only thing that is a little odd ATM is the glossiness of the shadows.. but that will change by the time he's finished. base is just me messing about with ideas for desert bases, needs a little more definition, but its super easy to make so i quite like it.

Thanks though the chances of it being anything more than a one off piece are incredibly limited, my gaming group is 99% heresy with the occasional game of blood bowl atm (necromunda will happen though) & outside of unifying all my unpainted stuff (red scorpions most likely) after I've sorted out moving house this year I don't really see myself doing much 40k related things that aren't purely for fun/the painting challenge

• 2 months later...

So I've been quiet for a little while now as I've been focussing on other things lately, but I have been working on something in the background too.. My intention was to have him fully finished for tomorrow, but life has gotten in the way so rather than keep him off the internet until he's done I've decided I'd show him off here because despite him not being finished I'm proud of how he looks so far.

Anyway that's enough talking, I present my version of Valdor.

dc831e3b4223fa0e25900ae4dfbe99f5-dc519ag

Soooo.. This morning i had a change of heart and thought you know what screw it, I'm gonna enter him, worst case scenario is that im still in the same position i was at the beginning of the day and could get some advice on him for the future...

valdorfinalist_by_typhion-dcbf4gk.jpg

But for a model i was saying isn't finished, i'm pretty damn happy with a finalist pin and for those of you who have followed me for a while you'll know how much getting this means to me.

Love the painting on your models and congrats on the finalist pin! The model itself would be a hard one to pull off for anyone due to just how busy it is.

Thanks Valdor is a lovely model when you take the time to properly look at him although it can be very easy to lose details on him just by painting things too similar in colour, things like the braided rope can get easily lost in the fur if there is overlap in the colours etc, trying to get everything to look clear but not totally separate was a challenge

Going back in time: That Thousand Sons praetor is fantastic! Everything about him just looks perfect from the white shoulder pads, to the metallic red armor, and the copper toned flesh. I must also say the bare head you used is leaps and bounds better than the helmet the model comes with.

Valdor is stunningly awesome and congrats on the pin! Your skill in the hobby is otherworldly so I am always in awe when I see your finished work. That model is also covered in detail and you've knocked it out of the park. The marble stone work behind him, the text on his parchment, everything.

Cheers dude, my 1k sons I intend to have lots of different skin tones throughout the army as I think it's an army that kinda needs it. I kinda like the helmet on the regular model.. But I think it's a cop out that it's moulded to the body. It's probably my biggest gripe with the sehkmet too. (Grave wardens spoilt me, and the alpha models show it's more than possibly with fancier stuff)

Valdor has made me a happy hobbyist, I've enjoyed painting him (haven't enjoyed hiding him though!) and it's taken me quite a few attempts at getting finalist but to do it in a larger & stronger competition than most of the current GD's has been cool. Glad I took him as the day before I wasn't going to bother! Gonna finish off the stuff I know needs doing and might enter him along with some friends into squad at the HH weekender.. hobby juices are flowing atm though & I might have to dig out Dorn.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided recently that I needed to finally bite the bullet on something I've wanted to do for a long time, pretty much since the release of book 1 I've wanted Cataphractii Deathshroud models & the official tartaros models never scratched the itch for me. So I've been butchering kits recently for bits and figuring out what i wanted as a baseline to start making the unit & this guy is the start of it. i may sculpt some additional details to bring them more in line with the old school artwork & potentially give them the half cloaks of the 40k counterparts.. but thats 90% based on if i think it looks dorky when i make the 1st one or not.

shroud_by_typhion-dccyu9m.jpg

most of the work has been done with a dremmel, the shoulders are the 1st bit of sculpting done so far and the chains are gonna take longer than the rest of the work by far.. fiddly as hell.

THAT, that right there, looks excellent!

Your test mini already sells it and I think any additional work will just knock it out of the park! How many do you plan on making for the unit?

Full unit of 10 eventually, doing 5 to start with though as the basic parts will make this unit expensive as all hell.

Need to properly study the old art and pick out some details from it

I’m looking forward to it! To your wallet: “I wish you good fortune in the wars to come!”

As for artwork I always liked that image floating around of two deathshroud side by side with their man reapers. I liked how they had the belt buckle and chest piece with the legion symbol and the long, red strands of cloak from their shoulders and tabard. Always thought that looked pretty regal for a very rugged legion.

Right so the first half of the unit have had the basic stuff done now, mostly just chain work and cloth for the shoulders. But i also started on an update for Kael, further into the heresy with the beginnings of corruption starting to show and even more armour on him.. I'll probably change the shooty/pointy arm out for something else once I've had a bit more time to figure it out.. Will also need a cloak for him too, either another of asterion molocs aka the terminator one i did before or fully sculpt one for him.

deathshroud_by_typhion-dcczjuu.jpg

done a bit more work on Kael, theres a load of sculpting work i need to do on the back of the cloak to smooth it out before i start doing some additional sculpting for gap filling, detail etc..

As far as the unit goes..... i ran out of chain! :ermm: it takes a surprising amount of chain per shoulder.

kael_by_typhion-dcd6b7w.jpg

Great to see this thread back on the Death Guard! I'm a big fan of crazy expensive units and mental converting efforts! I really think the Deathshroud should always have been in Cataphraciti plate! Looking forward to seeing this progress!

Kael looks awesome - I take it that's an updated rendition of your power armoured Praetor?!

Oh man, Kael is a unit! Excited to see the the deathshroud when they get their chainlinks. That has to be quite a bit of work adding that chain to each of them on strip at a time.

Yeah Kael is an update on an update of the power armoured praetor, he's had a set of termie armour before, but some of the sculpting was rougher than id like and once i started thinking about adding the armoured fronts to cataphractii armour i just had this idea of him being even more of a walking tank & using that 40k axe to make him look properly menacing.

Adding the chain is pretty damn time consuming but honestly it's the cloth under them that takes the most effort imho, it has to look right before the chain is in place or it throws everything off & depressingly i already want to alter some of them a little.

Kael’s new set of armor, bits, and pose really gives him a menacing premise. I’m honestly looking him over for ideas for my own terminator leader.

I honestly think the cloth and chain looks awesome. I hope you stick with it but what would you do different?