++Marines Malevolent/Knights Vermilion++UPDATE: Ironclad

Monstra Sumus

I'll echo Dorns_fist. Looks great mate. I really like the two recent guys, talk about walking wounded. I do feel that the sponge effect for battle damage, and some weathering powders for the mud and dirt, would take them to the next level though.

I'm up later than I ought but I'll see if I can't find a helpful tutorial on the sponge weathering tomorrow. It is dead easy once you get the hang of it, honest.

As promised:

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/different-tools-for-sponge-weathering.html - good article with 3 different methods of sponging on paint - personally I feel there's nothing wrong with just using foam from a leftover model carry case or similar, just make sure that a) it's rough and not flat and b ) that you dab off almost all the excess paint first. Once you have a feel for how much paint you need on the sponge, this process will be really quick.

http://agalaxyinflames.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/a-galaxy-in-flames-tutorial-sponge.html - has closeups showing where on a model it's best to apply the weathering, and discusses what colours to go with to suit your models' colour scheme (personally I think darkest grey will suit your MM best)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87080weathering/index.htm - the weathering powders I use, set B being the prime candidate. I mix the snow and soot powders together in varying quantities for my Istvaan survivors, and use the rust + a tiny mix of snow/rust for my Sons of Tyr. Very easy to do with the applicators they provide in the kit. Downside: your girlfriend will take the mick out of you for "putting makeup on your toy men". ;)

Hope that helps a little mate.

Arkhan

Loving the battle damage on the new blokes, man. And the LoTD are fantastic, great idea with them.

Don't know if its too late for that game, but i'd vote List 1 ! Alot more flexible than the rest. :)

As promised:

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/different-tools-for-sponge-weathering.html - good article with 3 different methods of sponging on paint - personally I feel there's nothing wrong with just using foam from a leftover model carry case or similar, just make sure that a) it's rough and not flat and b ) that you dab off almost all the excess paint first. Once you have a feel for how much paint you need on the sponge, this process will be really quick.

http://agalaxyinflames.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/a-galaxy-in-flames-tutorial-sponge.html - has closeups showing where on a model it's best to apply the weathering, and discusses what colours to go with to suit your models' colour scheme (personally I think darkest grey will suit your MM best)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87080weathering/index.htm - the weathering powders I use, set B being the prime candidate. I mix the snow and soot powders together in varying quantities for my Istvaan survivors, and use the rust + a tiny mix of snow/rust for my Sons of Tyr. Very easy to do with the applicators they provide in the kit. Downside: your girlfriend will take the mick out of you for "putting makeup on your toy men". msn-wink.gif

Hope that helps a little mate.

Arkhan

She's actually more supportive of me painting than I am! It's kinda scary at times. Thanks for the links fella, I'm hoping I can experiment a bit with this tonight and see what I can do. I think I might mix a bit of rust into the dark earth for my bases as the whole army is trudging through sucking mud.

Loving the battle damage on the new blokes, man. And the LoTD are fantastic, great idea with them.

Don't know if its too late for that game, but i'd vote List 1 ! Alot more flexible than the rest. smile.png

Thanks MagicMan, whilst I like the overly 80's look of the LotD I wanted something a bit more unique for my army. I can't say it's a bad idea since it inspired Dorns_Fist to do his!

The first list is the one I went with mate and it got me the victory. People who say Dreadnoughts are useless need to play with them more often! A Kabalite Squads, a Raider and a Wytch Squad later and I think he made his points back ;)

Like the new look.yes.gif thumbsup.gif

Thanks bro! They just didn't feel complete to me, now that I look at the two new ones, they fit in line with my Captain and his bust up armour.

A few things I've learned about sponging for a chipped paint effect (I too have struggled to get it to work well on infantry sized miniatures), apologies if it's repeating other advice.

Any sponge will do, but try to find some with larger bubbles that make up the foam (tends to be the cheaper kind - more air/volume, less material) so that when you tear chunks you get a nice ragged shape/edge; and that is key, a nice rough 'point' or 'edge' of ragged sponge. I tend to work with smaller bits much like a brush, and use a pair of reversing needle-tip tweezers to pinch a small chunk of foam.

Many people will swear by using the paint straight from the bottle, or just very thick in general; while the results are desirable (added surface tension of the thick paint keeps the chipped shape nicely) and I understand why people would go this route, I don't like the potential for noticeable buildup. On a nice smooth surface the thicker paint will create a noticeable change in the surface and read as a bit 'lumpy' if it's heavy. I like to try to avoid that.

Now, there are other ways to manipulate surface tension to your advantage in this case to get desirable results. I prefer to thin the colour I'm using down (in my case it's Silver, since most of my chipping is on Black) so there is no buildup issue, and then I add a small touch of Future Floor Wax to drastically increase the surface tension of the paint. If you do this with a paint/wash/glaze that will touch corners, seams, and hard-edge details, the surface tension help it pull in tight to them; if you do this to paint you plan to sponge on, the paint will literally 'pull in tight' to itself.

With a well shaped bit of ragged sponge held with tweezers you get a measure of control, and the thinned paint with FFW added will go where you want, and literally avoid spreading out from the shape you're making; the look will have a nice crackled/chipped form with a bit of scratching in select places and can be build up easily for more effect. Also, keep rotating and using different angles of the sponge-brush to keep the shapes more random looking; repeat patterns from just dabbing over-and-over detract from the effect.

Paint up some extra sprew in your chosen colour and give some practice runs a try; do different things from using paint as-is, to thinning, to using things like Washes and adding Future Floor Wax. Once you see (and pay close attention to) how the paint is acting on the surface, you can choose what you like and apply it.

Once I get my painting bench unburied from that work of the last several months I plan on doing some lots of chipping and weathering. I'll try to document my antics (I always seem to forget to photograph my progress while I paint) and do an article about my experiences trying to find a quick-but-effective weathering technique. I've got so many models so close to finished, it's all that's left, but it can be daunting. You don't want to detract from a great model with half-arsed weathering as a final step.

So I've given this whole sponging a go and I can't say it's working too well for me right now, haha. I've given it a bash on about 5 different models and I'm just not happy with how it's coming out. I think I'm just not feeling the method. I know practice makes perfect but I don't seem to be able to get this right. Here are some images of about how much I can do before it goes to complete waste.

gallery_41766_10176_50593.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_17871.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_45554.jpg

I might carry on with it but as it is, I'm not feeling it and as if I'm just ruining the paint jobs.

Cheers,

BT

So you say all that... But I reckon they're looking fantastic. That's pretty much exactly the effect I'm looking for when I'm sponging damage onto my infantry models.

If you're not happy with them, by all means try something else, but I reckon your Techmarine's looking great!

So you say all that... But I reckon they're looking fantastic. That's pretty much exactly the effect I'm looking for when I'm sponging damage onto my infantry models.

If you're not happy with them, by all means try something else, but I reckon your Techmarine's looking great!

Thank you Stru, I've done a bit more work on him in the last hour or so and I think I'm coming to peace with it. What do you think?

gallery_41766_10176_36037.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_53550.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_48299.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_54748.jpg

I've also started working on my High Puritan (Terminator Captain/Chapter Master) again.

gallery_41766_10176_52061.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_9422.jpg

Cheers,

BT

Love it! They look great!

I think with some chapters, the Marines Malevolent in particular, they just have to look like they're not just fighting against the guys on the other side of the table, but literally everything in the environment around them. They've gotta look like they're copping it on the chin, gritting their teeth and just pushing forward despite every obstacle and challenge that's in front of them.

I reckon you've hit this absolutely spot on. The mix of dirt, rust and grey on both the Techmarine and your High Puritan is really good.

Great stuff mate! Keep it up!

So today has been a hobby day. I treated myself to a few presents last week and they arrived today. First up is a Marine dubbed 'Sharp Tooth' who I've applied my battle damage to, then is a Whirlwind I scored off eBay which needs minimal changes to make it Malevolentised, third is my Plasma Command Squad I put together today, just waiting on Backpack and arm for the Apothecary and lastly is what I have painted so far of the Marines Malevolent 3rd Company, complete with allies from the Death Strike and a Deathwatch contingent headed by an Ordos Xenos Inquisitor, together this makes up my Kolstrom Crusade. I still have another 55 or so models to paint, the only thing I really need to buy now would be more drop pods.

gallery_41766_10176_38428.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_115577.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_10448.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_108551.jpg

Cheers,

BT

Very Cool.

As always, thank you for your support Sergeant! 

Sponging is great brother, exactly what mine looks like at the start. Just stick with it, that chaplain is awesome too

Thanks fella, between you lot and the other half, I might actually just get an army finished for the first time in my life, haha

Love it! They look great!

I think with some chapters, the Marines Malevolent in particular, they just have to look like they're not just fighting against the guys on the other side of the table, but literally everything in the environment around them. They've gotta look like they're copping it on the chin, gritting their teeth and just pushing forward despite every obstacle and challenge that's in front of them.

I reckon you've hit this absolutely spot on. The mix of dirt, rust and grey on both the Techmarine and your High Puritan is really good.

Great stuff mate! Keep it up!

Thank you Stru, that's exactly the idea I have for them. No respite, constant war.

Just saw this on Facebook, looks superb. Great stuff!

Thankyou Chaeron, G&T I take it? :p 

You should add me on face book to bro

Also that silenced pistol looks great on the marine. Looks like me and you are having a conversion/kit bashing war between black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow.....

You should add me on face book to bro

Also that silenced pistol looks great on the marine. Looks like me and you are having a conversion/kit bashing war between black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow.....

Drop me your profile name in a PM and I'll add ya fella

I think the Scout pistols look absolutely killer on Marines, I'm gonna have to get a load more for when I do my Sternguard. I don't see it as a war, I see it as a united front against parade ground armies! 

Archived