++Marines Malevolent/Knights Vermilion++UPDATE: Ironclad

Monstra Sumus

I like it a lot, can't see any issues with the purple myself. If you did want to make it pop a bit more, then maybe you need darker recesses? Just add a touch of black to the base colour and build it back up to normal before highlighting.  Perhaps battle damage them a bit more, too? The bullet hole in the helmet is pretty emphatic, but the rest of him looks quite clean for a dead guy. Don;t get me wrong, though, her looks good, these are just things you might look at improving if you're not completely happy with how he's turned out.

Awesome!!! great fluff and also Attillus Rocks!!!.

Thanks brother! These guys are the baddest of the bad in terms of things they've done in their attempts to halt their enemy, well that's what I think anyway. 

Them LOTD count as are awesome. Well done brother

Thank you fella, your Scythes are spot on. 

I like it a lot, can't see any issues with the purple myself. If you did want to make it pop a bit more, then maybe you need darker recesses? Just add a touch of black to the base colour and build it back up to normal before highlighting.  Perhaps battle damage them a bit more, too? The bullet hole in the helmet is pretty emphatic, but the rest of him looks quite clean for a dead guy. Don;t get me wrong, though, her looks good, these are just things you might look at improving if you're not completely happy with how he's turned out.

I've given him a once over with some weathering, a bit of rust and re did the purple. What do you think now? 

10262216_10154237716680156_3403545839193

1904170_10154237716705156_26023020386167

10418406_10154237716695156_5809873326390

10177341_10154237716700156_1460522502725

I think he brings the idea across better now. 

Had a bout of enthusiasm and pumped out a second Legionnaire today. 

10363372_10154238400125156_2936570467872

10442356_10154238400155156_3466447596940

10473428_10154238400150156_7719825134772

10382839_10154238400195156_7544104773982

10338301_10154238400210156_3985957805871

Legionnaire Brutus served with the 3rd battle crusade for the duration of the Chapters interest in the Macharian Crusade. During this time, fighting under the banner for Lord Solar Macharius, Brutus was an able warrior, a full head above his brethren in height and known for his dour outlook in all things. With the death of the Lord Solar and the splintering of his armed forces, the spark that ignited the internecine conflict between the Star Phantoms and the Marines Malevolent involved none other than Brutus himself. Being deployed on forward maneuvers with elements from the Terrax Guard regiment and a squadron from the Star Phantoms, the word came through to him via secure channel that there was a reckoning among forces thought loyal to Macharius cause and those who sought to put down the foundation of their own plans, Brutus was told by his direct Prefect superior to act as he saw fit to prevent any significant action by any means he deemed necessary. Brutus had sub-vocalised to his own men to form a defensive diamond around him with order to maintain a vigilant eye. The Star Phantom sergeant approached and with an air of casual difference declared the Terrax Guard to be at odds with the interest of the Chapters command and he ordered his men to open fire upon the mortal soldiers. Brutus' response was in kind, he jammed the muzzle of his bolter into his fellow Astartes visor and fired a three round burst. The resultant gun fight was the first blood shed on both sides in what would ultimately cost both Chapters dearly. Brutus believed in one thing above all and that was loyalty. The Terrax Guard had been integral in operations under taken by both Chapters against the foes of the Sabbat Worlds, helping to drive the Astartes war machine to greater victories. Despite the Marines Malevolent casual disregard for the general Imperial populace, any man who fought for what he believed in was deserving of a warriors respect. The Terrax were loyal and in Brutus eyes, the Star Phantoms were turn cloak. 

Brutus died while he choked the life from his opponent, the last two survivors of either squad. In a last ditch effort to slay his foe, the Star Phantom spat his shattered teeth and clotting blood across the Malevolent's visor to impede his sight, during this moment of respite, knowing he was to die to win, he unlatched the krak grenade secured to his belt and activated the explosive device, slamming it full force into the side of Brutus helm. The explosion killed both but the utter and complete betrayal one of the two felt caused the winds of fate to take a hand. Legionary Brutus' identification code was one of those cataloged during the Black Rock incident in operations against the Iron Warrior traitor marines.

Two down, three to go. 

The paint scheme is not what I'd expected - I'd thought you were going to go with the ethereal Ghostbusters-style glow-all-over effect the Army of the Dead has in LOTR: ROTK. But having seen what you've achieved I'm actually very fond of the finished product, they look less like Casper the friendly warp ghost and much more like the recently reanimated fallen intent on returning to wreak vengeance. You could possibly inflict more battle damage on their armour to reinforce this concept if you'd like.

My only other comment would be to try to increase the contrast between the purple and the yellow somehow, they look fantastic close-up but I suspect the warp flames will get a bit blurred out by the yellow at tabletop distance? I'm not sure how you'd do this so it's not a massively helpful comment, sorry! I am hugely keen on the way you've executed this idea though, if you don't mind I'll log this as a project to emulate myself at some point.

One day we'll have to get a game in at WHW and crush some Xenos skulls together.

Smashing!!!

Thanks brother!

Would great stuff both are really nice I think I like the marine with half a face. Mainly because it's such a shock to see one running msn-wink.gif the

The angles of the photos don't really convey it but I hollowed out the entirety of his helmet, it's just filled with warp fire.

The paint scheme is not what I'd expected - I'd thought you were going to go with the ethereal Ghostbusters-style glow-all-over effect the Army of the Dead has in LOTR: ROTK. But having seen what you've achieved I'm actually very fond of the finished product, they look less like Casper the friendly warp ghost and much more like the recently reanimated fallen intent on returning to wreak vengeance. You could possibly inflict more battle damage on their armour to reinforce this concept if you'd like.

My only other comment would be to try to increase the contrast between the purple and the yellow somehow, they look fantastic close-up but I suspect the warp flames will get a bit blurred out by the yellow at tabletop distance? I'm not sure how you'd do this so it's not a massively helpful comment, sorry! I am hugely keen on the way you've executed this idea though, if you don't mind I'll log this as a project to emulate myself at some point.

One day we'll have to get a game in at WHW and crush some Xenos skulls together.

Thank you very much dude.

I had considered doing the all over glow but it struck me as too gaudy so I went for how I've portrayed them and I'm happy with the outcome. In regards to the battle damage though, I'm not sure between the weathering and the flames I can fit much more in without making them an unsightly mess!

I thought they'd wash out but at distance the purple really pops, I'll get a photo of them next to a normal squad once I'm finished to show you what I mean, if anything the purple gets more intense the further away you are looking at it. It's odd. Also, go for it man, the more Restless Dead the better!

Most definitely, I know a guy down this way that has at least 12k of every army GW do. We play most Imperials so we all band up to try and curb stomp him at regular intervals through the year. I'll keep you pinned on when the next WHW one is.

I'm loving these LOTD brother! Been ages since I've had a look at your stuff and I'm glad you're still churning away at them. Brilliant work, keep it up!! cool.png

Thank you Devolver, it's been ages since I did anything! I look forward to any updates coming from my brother company ;)

So, I had some time to kill today and churned out the third of our motley crew. I present Legionary Nero.

10454304_10154247055905156_1158768068805

1908037_10154247055910156_84158247693815

10448768_10154247055915156_1523763488293

10401911_10154247055995156_3146256767737

During the mega-conflict known as the Macharian Heresy, Legionary Nero performed with distinction in the eradication of enemy armoured assets. It was during a particularly ferocious clash of arms that Nero met his demise and entered into the roiling storm of the warp. Nero boasted he'd murder a leviathan of the enemy, he pronounced he would not consider this war won until he had destroyed the venerable Land Raider of the enemy single handed, the great war machine had been destroying Terrax armoured patrols for days. Nero made the vow and had it documented by the Puritan Order that he would not rest until he had silenced the enemy war machine and so he set off on his hunt.

Whilst his suppression squadron moved through the ruined city that was their battle ground, Nero spied his quarry. The giant white battle tank ground all to dust beneath its treads as it advanced. White armoured figures strode along side it, dwarfed by the machines immensity. Nero's prefect gave the order to engage and Nero took his chance. The fire fight was furious, bolter rounds stitched through the air, sawing Marines on both sides from their feet. Plasma bolts pitched Astartes aside, leaving coruscating flames to super heat their armour. Nero pelted full speed through the haze of battle, his multi melta clanging against his pauldron. With a vocalised snarl he grasped the heated barrel of the sponson mounted las cannon, hauling himself up the wide flat side of the tank as it ground ever onward, ignoring the battle that raged outside it. Nero clanged his way across the hull until he stood before the massive humming power plant. With a feral grin he raised his weapon and unlatched the safe guard over the trigger. He squeezed. Radiation levels spiked to dangerous levels inside his suit as the super intense radiation beam cut into the armoured housing, sloughing it away like candle wax. With a grimace he fired again, the hyper intensified beam splitting through the air and scoring power cables and armoured plating, sending it running in rivers down the rear of the tank. His visor flashed red warning runes at him as he fired again, this time one of the power cells detonated and blew out the rear left hand portion of the tank, razor shards of armour and split tracks sprayed everywhere, scything down Marines. Nero was thrown back across the top of the tank and slammed against the hull. He grinned through bloodied teeth as he staggered up right for the final shot that would end this monsters predation. Off to his right a hatch was slammed back, one of the marines occupying the massive tank leveled his bolter at the Malevolent. As Nero pulled the trigger on his weapon, a kraken round from point blank slammed into his torso and forced its way through him, erupting out of his back. The solid slug had destroyed both his primary and secondary heart, killing him an instant after it left his body. Unknown to Nero, his shot ended the Land Raiders reign of domination, scoring a direct hit into the remaining energy cells, causing it to over load and explode with ferocious intensity. Nero died screaming his disbelief and his soul was ripped through the veil of time and space.

Legionary Nero's identification code was flagged and matched to the mysterious figure prowling the capital city streets on Black Rock. A full ten confirmed enemy armour kills are attributed to this phantom hunter. It is assumed after studying the Puritans records that he is hunting for his quarry, vainly attempting for all time to come to fulfill the oath he made in the name of the Emperor.

@BCA:- this is what I meant, the purple is quite visible from a standing distance.

10351167_10154247056015156_8099726477400

Fourth man done. 

10458902_10154251346630156_7203822906892

10390350_10154251346640156_4129351825508

10426805_10154251346635156_4945447072327

10447046_10154251346740156_4684317791810

10433089_10154251346770156_8566910577323

Legionary Titus was the sole survivor of Prefect Diodes forward suppression unit during engagements with combined Star Phantom and Minotaur forces. Being from the 4th battle crusade and with no direct superior in the field with which to attach himself to, Titus tacked himself onto a suppression unit from the 3rd battle crusade. It was during his deployment with the 3rd that they uncovered the Doom Warriors and their manipulation via the Alpha Legion. This split the Malevolent ideology of fighting to defend the right of their once stalwart comrades and sparked a splinter war within the dissident defenders. The Malevolents were suddenly surrounded by enemies on all sides, at odds with those within and being ground to nothing by the inexorable push of the Star Phantoms. Titus disengaged himself from the command structure and vowed under the eyes of Him on Earth that he'd not rest until he'd taken traitor lives. 

Titus died aiding in the cracking open of an enemy redoubt, allowing his brother Marines to push the advance against their new enemies. Titus provided a distinct enough distraction that gave his brothers siege weaponry to be brought to bare. Many las burns and bolter rounds impacted against his battle armour and it held firm against all but three direct hits. Three bolt rounds penetrated his venerable armour, two boring into his chest cavity to detonate his primary organs and one burrowed into the auto reactive plating of his pauldron to shatter his shoulder joint to a pulp. Within his dying moments he jammed the muzzle of his bolter into the firing slit of the redoubt and unloaded an entire magazine into the close confines of the traitor elements. 

Once the fighting was done, Titus' remains could not be found. His identification code was documented and attributed to no less than destroyed bunker emplacements during the Black Rock incident. The buildings cracked open by unnatural heat and the bodies within charred beyond recognition.

Only the 5th member of the squad left to do. Once he's done, I just have to wait on parts to arrive that'll allow me to build another HQ choice. 

They are really working, man. The mk. 6 guy with all those extra flames looks especially good, Kudos to your green stuff skills providing you with such good flames to work with, There's sufficient depth and raised points to shade and highlight properly, really good.

The latest addition is my favorite.thumbsup.gif

Thank you Specter, what makes him your favourite if you don't mind me asking?

Very nice indeed

Thank you dude.

They are really working, man. The mk. 6 guy with all those extra flames looks especially good, Kudos to your green stuff skills providing you with such good flames to work with, There's sufficient depth and raised points to shade and highlight properly, really good.

High praise indeed! I'm really just starting out exploring all this part of the hobby, the greenstuff and the weathering/battledamage, just trying on how to get the best handle for it.

So I've got one Legionnaire to do then the squad is done. However here's a little teaser on the next project afterwards. The Restless Dead had to start somewhere right?

He needs work on his posing, not sure if I want to have him swinging for an over head blow or have it lowered and model someone sliding off his blade. Flames will be all over this dude and he'll be a counts-as Librarian to help me against all my opponents sudden psyker units. His laurels will have wisps of flame rising from them and streaking back to simulate his psychic hood.

10478561_10154257926990156_8208420886749

10354737_10154257927040156_8253137533991

What do you guys think?

• 4 months later...

So, it's been....awhile. Life has dealt me a few hands that I couldn't play very well with so I took a hiatus from the hobby. Now I'm settled I can refocus on continuing this plog.

I've noticed that lots of my previous images have become 'broken' and it is too much of a herculean task to go back and fix them so from this point on I am going to (finally) upload to the B&C gallery and host from in house.

Not much of an update but I've carried on with my counts as LOTD; the Restless Dead. I've based and got the bottom scheme on this dude, he is ready for weathering, highlighting, detail and washing.

gallery_41766_10176_14919.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_46548.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_38771.jpg

Not come up with any background for this dude as of yet. Not long now till I can do a proper army on parade post!

Thanks,

BT

Welcome Back !!!! thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Thank you brother, it's good to be back!

Hello......whats going on here then?......?

My blog broke somewhat and around half the pictures aren't view-able and I'm unable to replace them so despite that minor snaffu I'm back in the hobby and continuing with the Marines Malevolent.

I'm currently working on my counts as Legion of the Damned.

Archived