++Marines Malevolent/Knights Vermilion++UPDATE: Ironclad

Monstra Sumus

Can't wait to see this one finished. Your Restless Dead are awesome. Welcome back!

"Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"

Well, wait no more, here he is!

Glory & Hate brother!

Nice one......not been doing owt with my Armies for a while and yet to pick up the glue, paint and brush and get going again. Soon!

msn-wink.gif

It feels good to be wielding a brush again.

Oooooh Looks like we are both doing our own LOTD with lack and yellow marines at the same time.....saucy....

I'll pop on over and check your guys out, I'm sure in for a treat!

Your restless dead looks awesome. You should make one with a massive chest wound.

Thank you very much! Great minds think alike it seems, I have already done one of the Restless Dead with a chest wound which you'll be able to see below. The previous pictures of him have broken so I snapped one of the whole squad together.

Onto the update, I finished off Legionnaire Verenar this evening.

gallery_41766_10176_24992.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_48021.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_18290.jpg

Legionary Verenar was confirmed killed in action during the subsequent purging of Nemesis Tessera during the aftermath of Abbadons premature Crusade. Under going seek and destroy operations against entrenched elements of the Black Legion forces he came across the twisted bodies of his brethren. Each discovering only souring Verenar and pushing him in the dogged chase to hunt down his enemy. Verenar became such a thorn in the enemies side that he was specifically targeted by elements of the enemies rear guard. Consumed by his hatred Verenar rushed head long into an obvious trap intended to ensnare him and paid the ultimate price. A fallen Black Legionnaire lay trapped among the rubble and as Verenar dispatched him with a vicious snarl an armour penetrating round smashed through his visor and slammed into his power pack, erupting out of the other side and detonating in a ball of controlled nuclear fury. When the flames subsided, there was nothing remaining of Verenar except scorched earth and the static scream of his last transmission. An identification code matching his own accompanied the rest of these ethereal beings several thousand years later and it is said that the battered melta gun he clutches in his hands sniffs and spits as it seeks out the foe.

Arrayed below are the completed Restless Dead in all their motley glory.

gallery_41766_10176_28350.jpg

Next up is the Avenger, unnamed as no one can find any records of him within the Chapters history and he broadcasts no identification codes, merely an eerie wailing that pierces the soul and makes the ears bleed. He is shrouded in mystery and superstition and more than one brother has remarked that this is the will of the Emperor made manifest. I have to give him a wreath of flames to sit on the laurels and do his sword and other bits, the junctions of his armour I'm hoping to have glow like the others wounds to show he isn't just another ghost warrior. He'll be a counts as Librarian for game purposes to fight pesky Farseers but he is the first Restless Dead fluff wise.

gallery_41766_10176_14289.jpg

Cheers,

BT

A BIG WIN !!! thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif The Avenger looks cool.

Thanks fella, hopefully he looks even better now.

Very nice write up Indeed brother

Thanks mate.

Small update today.

Got the start of The Avenger done, not too sure how I like the flames coming off his head but it's really hard to get them right on such a tiny surface. What do you guys think?

gallery_41766_10176_52824.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_5942.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_21791.jpg

I'm quite happy with how he's coming together and I think the idea translates well enough.

EDIT: Added a shield to him in case I want to give him the Shield Eternal at all, also helps with his close combat nature.

gallery_41766_10176_19756.jpg

Cheers,

BT

In my honest constructive opinion/criticism the flames on the head dont look right too me. The flames every where else are great....if I may make a suggestion.....cut away some of the mouth grill and maybe have done flames coming from there maybe?

In my honest constructive opinion/criticism the flames on the head dont look right too me. The flames every where else are great....if I may make a suggestion.....cut away some of the mouth grill and maybe have done flames coming from there maybe?

Flames out of a mouth grill and/or from one of the eyes was going to be my suggestion as well.

You're absolutely right, it was something niggling away at the back of my mind the whole of today, I've done some extra flames on his face.

Flames out of a mouth grill and/or from one of the eyes was going to be my suggestion as well.

I've done some flames from one eye socket and creeping out of the grill and round his head to join the others, I'm hoping it works better now as an idea. Also added some flames to his shield because why not!

gallery_41766_10176_49194.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_35355.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_7574.jpg

Does it look better or worse?

Cheers,

BT

Well, hot damn! This is quite a statement to make upon your return. The way that the flames are just accents is really excellent, there's enough to get the idea across, but not so much that the flames are the only thing you look at. I'm kind of glad for you've added extra flames to The Avenger's head, it's an absolutely cracking model, but the earlier incarnation made me think of Hades from the Disney Hercules. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm not sure it's quite what you were going for.

The idea I had for him is sort of blinking in and out of the battlefield and swiping into enemies with his big choppy blade, I am trying to capture flames in motion. 

I think I might just have to either bite the bullet and remove the gs from his head or just leave as is and paint him to see how it looks. 

with the flames on his head all going in the that pulled back direction it gives the model a sense of motion it simply did not have before I would say it’s a good improvement and I would not add any more (tempting as it may be) but it’s going to be the paint that really sells this idea I think.

Well, I decided I was happy with the flames and I took the first steps to painting him. I've got the yellow down pat on him and started on the metallics. I've based the flames with the first coats of white to show where I need to build up on them from and I think he's beginning to come together. Let me know what you guys think.

gallery_41766_10176_38356.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_19288.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_51449.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_39859.jpg

Cheers,

BT

These are a fantastic idea, and executed beautifully. Love the lilac-purple flames especially, but everything from the bits you've selected to the poses you've created are brill. Stellar work!

Well, that's high praise for me, I've been following your Admech and Techaspirant Marines and your True Scale Ultras for quite some time now and your work blew me away. Thank you very much!

Now the paints on I can it working a lot better bro, just like to say I wasn't putting your work down either back in my previous comments

I've just finished him tonight, what do you think? I didn't take anything said as a knock at all fella, criticism is what helps us expand after all!

+UPDATE+

So the Avenger is complete. Arrayed below is him in all his glory and in formation with the rest of the Restless Dead.

gallery_41766_10176_12866.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_39471.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_68472.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_40938.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_36055.jpg

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

BT

Yep total winning. Great work bro

Thanks fella, I'm glad you like it

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif !!!!

As always, thank you for following my progress Sgt!

So, I've got my first game in almost a year coming up and it's 500 points against a fast moving DE force. I'm not sure of the exact make up but I know there will be lots of splinter cannons and raiders.

So I've come up with the following three lists I can make comfortably out of my current forces. What do you think would be the best to use?

List one

gallery_41766_10176_23987.jpg

Captain - Primarchs Wrath

Tactiacl - Ten Men, Lascannon, Flamer

Scouts - Snipers, Camo Cloaks

Venerable Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer

List two

gallery_41766_10176_74186.jpg

(MISTAKE: Only 5 men a squad, not ten like I put in)

Captain - Primarchs Wrath, Melta Bombs

Tactical - Heavy Bolter

Tactical - Heavy Bolter

Terminators - Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield

List three

gallery_41766_10176_58027.jpg

Captain - Standard

Tactical - Multimelta, Power Fist

Scouts - Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks

Devastators - 4 x Missile Launchers

Aegis Defence Line - Quad Gun

The ideas I had is first list combat squads, Lascannon, Scouts and Dreadnought lay on the fire, HQ moves with 5 man combat squad to go after any objectives.

Second list is five man fire teams lay down heavy bolter fire with HQ from cover while Terminators deep strike in and knock on the DE's front door.

Third list is a little more reliant on range. The Devs set up behind the ADL, the HQ mans the Quad gun hence no gear on him and it keeps him tucked relatively safely behind a wall, the Marines move in combat squads for the objectives, multimelta up front incase he skims a raider after them, scouts do target priority on their HQ/Troops.

What do you think guys? Anything I should juggle around?

Little hobby progress is that I blew the dust off of Commodus, the High Puritan and I'm going to finish him off, deciding to go with thunder hammer, storm shield and I have the plasma command squad to begin.

Cheers,

BT

So, an update that involves paint! Hooray!

Yes, well, I had a game on Saturday night before I ran my Deathwatch RPG and well I was unimpressed with my models, so I thought today how could I improve them and something popped into my head. I want my Malevolents to look war torn, as though the constant fighting is taking its toll and they are on the brink of renegade-hood-dom-ism. What do you think? Better or worse?

gallery_41766_10176_1097124.png

Now for some eye candy because I know you lot love pictures!

gallery_41766_10176_49133.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_54866.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_87512.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_56685.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_70366.jpg

gallery_41766_10176_33928.jpg

So, what's the verdict guys? An improvement on just black and yellow or have I just made them look like their covered in literal splodges of paint?

Cheers,

BT

You'll know my verdict on battle damage lol

The only thing Id say is try the sponge technique....purely it gives you more room to play with, as with battle damage you can over do an area of you have too much on the tool you're using to create it. Best to do small passings and then add more in 'layers' if that makes sense?

Great work still just needs a little honing...

Archived