Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Legion Assault Squad: Yes, you can take up to 20 Assault marines as a Troops choice. They can all be given Combat shields, which are actually useful now, and Melta bombs. One in every five can also take a power weapon, hand flamer, or plasma pistol. 

From 1d4 chan

also this tactica from 2013 includes sergeant options. 

The custodians are looking good.

Thanks a lot, guys! :smile.:

@ Mechanist: Thanks for the info! Those combat shields sound like an interesting kitbashing opportunity, and also like a fun way to add a bit of gladiatorial oomph to the squad -- especially since I should still have some Chaos Marauder bucklers that already appear here and there throughout the rest of my 30k "collection"

@ dogfender: Truth be told, mate, I see it too. I don't know any easy way to get rid of the problem, though, and I would like to keep the general colour balance intact. I'm very open to suggestions!

@ Bubbles: Yeah, seeing how the models themselves are so bulky - arguably much bulkier than in the classic artwork - I prefer the swords to act as a kind of visual counterpoint, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I spent some hobby time yesterday straightening out those two Custodes conversions:

tweaked-custodians-3.jpg

The standard bearer - sorry, the Vexillus Praetor - is just about finished at this point, merely missing his Misericordia dagger.

I am really happy with the Shield Captain, especially since having him carry that helmet in the crook of his arm took quite some doing:

tweaked-custodians-2.jpg

And here are the two again, accompanied by a third Custodian I converted last year (inspired by the character Aquillon from The First Heretic):

tweaked-custodians-4.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Looking real good! The standard bearer looks spot on and the captain looks very regal with your converted pose. I always thought there bolter-swords were pretty cool but those GK swords look a lot better on these warriors.

Thanks a lot, guys! :smile.:

@ Bubbles: Mate, I am not making any promises! :wink: For now, I think I am quite okay with playing around a bit with the Custodes and Sisters of Silence sprues from Burning of Prospero without the need to purchase any more plastic crack. That being said, I did love kitbashing Custodes once upon a time, before the official models were even a thing, plus I like virtually all the new plastic kits, so make of that what you will. It's definitely not something I'll be doing soon, though.

@ Sandlemand, hushrong, Quixus, marine7312000 & Juggernut: Cheers, gents! Again, the sentinel blades have me a bit conflicted: I appreciate the fact that they are a perfect match for the classic artwork, but it's really one of those elements that didn't make a good transition into model form -- especially since the actual Custodes models are far bulkier than the Custodians depicted in the classic artwork. So I do think the GK swords work better, from a visual standpoint. That and some of the BL novels mention them wielding blades that are closer to classic swords (Argel Tal "inherits" one of those swords, for instance), so this was also a question of keeping a certain consistency across my own collection of models.

@ Eberious: Well, thank you sir, for the wonderful inspiration -- I merely stole your idea and ran with it :wink:

Edited by KrautScientist

A much needed improvement, IMHO. Now they actually look like they can fight with them, rather than wielding paddles as Quixus put it.

Also, since I suspect I haven't posted in any of your logs since my days on the Ammobunker, thank you for a continuing source of inspiration - even if I don't quite share your dedication to Khorne. :wink:

@ Crizza: I remember a discussion here on the board a while ago when even ADB himself stated that Mk. III and jump packs were a cool combination, and if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me ;) There are also some haphazard cases of that kind of equipment appearing in some of the BL novels, for what it's worth.

And yes, the Dreadnought arm was very much inspired by the Ursus Claws! :)

Don't get me wrong, I could never quite understand why the MkIII, which was designed with more armor up front and less at the back isn't used for jump pack equipped assault units.
For me it is perfect, since they charge the enemy up close, so more armor up front is a good thing :D

Did you have problems with magnetizing? I ordered the wrong size of magnets, so the current batch is smaller than the ones I started with :D

I think there was a rumour once that some of FW's materials stated how Mk. III was to heavy to be kept aloft by jump packs? Anyway, I think it looks really cool with the old Raptor jump pack, so Mk. III assault squad it is ;)

As for your question, you're referring to the magnetised arm on the Dreadnought, right? Unfortunately, I can tell you next to nothing about that, since Augustus b'Raass magnetised it for me when I visited him last year, and the only thing I did was to glue a screw head into the leftover Contemptor shoulder, so I could use it as an additional arm. If you have any questions about magnetising, you should definitely ask Augustus, though, as he is a pro when it comes to that subject!

I've magnetized a Telemon around Christmas, so I think I got the hang on it, but boy, it's tedious :D
Next on the list are the Galatus and Achillus, so I swap the Kheres and a Multimelter on them.

Time for a new update:

So, believe it or not, but while working on my latest 30k World Eaters, I realised that I was mostly out of CSM and berzerker arms and chain weapons -- weird, isn't it? With my bitzbox having grown for years, the one component that you would expect to be at the heart of every chaos collector's bitzbox had grown scarce. I really wanted some more CSM and berzerker parts, however -- they may not have aged all that gracefully, but use them to make 30k traitor legionaries a bit more visceral, and they become great again!

Even so, I didn't really want to pick up a boxed set, as it seems as though that's just sending the wrong message to GW at this point: I do want those CSM and berzerker kits to receive an update, after all ;) So I went for an ebay joblot and bought one that had a huge pile of the bitz I needed (arms with swords, bolt pistols and chainaxes, mostly), but also featured some interesting additions: Intrigued by the photos, I clicked "Buy It Now" and spent an enjoyable hour yesterday sorting through the huge pile of bitz -- seriously, I love buying job lots. The surprise alone is usually worth the price of admittance ;)

So on the one hand, I now have all the (old) CSM and berzerker parts I am ever going to need, I think. Beyond that, however, there were also some pretty cool surprise bitz in that package. Here's a selection:

First up, some of the - very bird of prey-themed - helmets from the first incarnation of the Raptors.

csm-haul-0218-2.jpg

Those don't photograph very well, but if you know the old models, you should recognise them. I have never owned any of these, and there were at least two of each design, which is pretty nice!

Then there are some really cool  2nd edition CC weapons. I especially love the fact that I now own several massive retro CSM powerfists with those awesome clawed fingers:

csm-haul-0218-1.jpg

Another really cool surprise was this guy, actually one of the first Chaos Terminators ever released by GW:

csm-haul-0218-4.jpg

The model dates back to 1989! And while it may be a bit lumpy in places, and also a bit short, the level of detail is pretty amazing. Since the poor guy is about as tall as a modern day Marine in standard power armour (!), I doubt he can become a regular member of any of my armies -- but he should make for a fantastic objective marker, for instance. There were also tons of CC weapons from the old 2nd edition metal Chaos Terminators. Quite a trip down memory lane, as those models were always far too expensive for me to afford, back when I was a lad ;)

My new abundance of CSM weapon arms allowed me to go back to my assault Marine test model and make the guy look a bit more...proactive:

30k-world-eaters-assault-marine-tweaked-

Oh, and I also finished a conversion I had been planning for a while now: In my headcannon, my 30k World Eaters are being accompanied (and have been subtly introduced to the ruinous powers) by the Word Bearers' Chapter of the Piercing Gaze. The Chapter's eventual Dark Apostle, Belzas Azalon, has been on my mind for ages, back from when I originally wanted to start a Word Bearers army, some time in 2010. I even converted a model for him:

dark-apostle-belzas-azalon-31.jpg

And while that project has yet to come to fruition, I really liked the idea to include a younger version of Azalon in my 30k collection: Here he is, as a Word Bearers chaplain who has just started to openly embrace the Primordial Truth during the days of the Heresy:

chaplain-belzas-azalon-wip-1.jpg

chaplain-belzas-azalon-wip-2.jpg

chaplain-belzas-azalon-wip-3.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

That sounds like an amazing bits grab! Congratulations! Those eagle like heads have been a favourite of mine, visually, so I'm looking forward to seeing you using them!

That old Dark Apostle looks fricking amazing, BTW! The new one is a great adaption of that Cassius miniature, and I love the book. :) Not sure if you already glued he head, but I'm curious how he'd look if he would be looking at the book. Would it be possible for you to try that? :D

That sounds like an amazing bits grab! Congratulations! Those eagle like heads have been a favourite of mine, visually, so I'm looking forward to seeing you using them!

That old Dark Apostle looks fricking amazing, BTW! The new one is a great adaption of that Cassius miniature, and I love the book. :smile.: Not sure if you already glued he head, but I'm curious how he'd look if he would be looking at the book. Would it be possible for you to try that? :biggrin.:

I 100% agree. If you could tilt the head down just a bit, I think it would work so much more.

Cheers for the feedback, guys! Regarding the head, I did want him to look as though in some kind of religious rapture, hence the position of the head. There's also the fact that the chaos warrior head I used comes with a "pre-attached" gorget that would be quite a bit of hassle to get rid of, and since I really like the way it looks, the head might just stay that way. That being said, maybe I'll try turning it towards the book a bit more and see how it looks.