Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Cheers for the kind words, everyone! And seeing how you all seem to really dig the latest, Slaughterpriest-based Eightbound kitbash, here's an update on that model, as I have been putting a bit more work into it.

There's still a ton of work (especially GS work) to be done, but the build itself has been noticeably cleaned up now, and I think I have also come up with a pretty promising approach for that "toothy" cowl behind the head. Take a look:

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-3.jpg

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-1.jpg

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-4.jpg

And here's another comparison shot with a "proper" Eightbound -- I think the kitbashed guy measures up rather nicely, to be honest.

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-2.jpg

This is still very much about figuring out the basic build, by the way: The detail work, added skulls and tweaks will come later... :wink:

As always, let me know what you think!

Edited by KrautScientist

The scale seems perfect to me. If anything, the slauther-bound seems a little more "lean", but than again  I think it might just be an effect of the leg armor being different.

But anyway he's turning out awesome. Pretty nice conversion ^^

Cheers, guys! :smile:

@YannTheMad Yeah, the leg armour is the one area where the model obviously diverges from "true" Eightbound -- that and the Slaughterpriest is an almost ridiculously lean model to begin with, but at least it's easy enough to suitably bulk up his upper half... :wink:

Slaughterbound is coming on strong, I actually prefer the more lean build, but it also makes sense that these guys would grow and mutate in different ways. He's armed with a pole-arm, so growing longer and gaining extra reach seems pretty appropriate to me!

Thanks, @Pearson73! Yeah, I think it kinda works, in context: The Slaughterpriest version has a very gladiatorial look to it, which is definitely a good fit for a World Eaters army. That being said, I have seen some conversions of the model where it never really ended up looking enough like an Astartes due to the difference in build -- the Eightbound parts are pulling a lot of weight in that respect!

So anyway, here's another update on the kitbashed Eightbound, as things are really getting serious:

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-7.jpg

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-6.jpg

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-9.jpg

The build has been cleaned up even further -- it probably doesn't look like too big an improvement, but that'll change in a minute when we take a look "under the hood", so to speak. Before we do that, let me point out the one area that will still need a tremendous amount of fine tuning: The back of the model:

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-10.jpg

As you can see, the backpack is still only being held in place with a blob of poster tac. But I have already built up the beginnings of the GS work that will form a more natural, if warped-looking, point of attachment, to match the general look on the rest of the models.

Let's take the armour off for a minute, though, to show you what I did with the neck and shoulders:

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-11.jpg

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-12.jpg

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-14.jpg

I was feeling slightly clever, so I made a quick GS copy of some actual Eightbound shoulders and spliced them in. The stock slaughterpriest neck portion was carefully shaved away directly above the pectorals, and the Eightbound shoulders and neck - which turned out to be an almost perfect fit - were added on top. Granted, it's not perfect, but it's certainly a lot better than anything I could have sculpted from scratch!

I also wasn't super-neat about the areas where the arms attach, seeing how most of this would end up being covered by the shoulder pads. That being said, if it looks very wonky in the pictures, that's because the arms are still loose -- I will keep the model in separat parts for as long as I can, as that should make the painting process a lot easier. And like I said, those seams will be hidden underneath the pauldrons anyway, so there's no need to make things to stressful for myself :wink:

As always, let me know what you think! :thumbsup:

Really elegant work! I think you hit the nail on the head with this combination of bits. He looks slim and lethal. The only sticking point for me is the spiked hood behind his head; I assume you're going to do a little more greenstuff work on it to blend it in? It could even hook into the backpack to really integrate that portion of the model together. Excited to see what you do!

Cheers for the kind words, everyone! I really appreciate it! :thumbsup:

@Naryn Oh, you are quite right: In fact, I am hard at work on that cowl/backpack situation right now! :wink:

@Firedrake Cordova That is very kind of you to say!

@Grotsmasha Knowing Augs' models, that is a great compliment indeed!

In the meantime, here's a little something I don't believe I have already shared over here:

There’s another conversion that has been on my mind ever since I realised that one of the Eightbound chest armour pieces is conspicuously reminiscent of Angron’s own armour — maybe another version of the Lord Primarch might be in order…?!

eightbound-angron-early-mockup.jpg

In fact, it’s absolutely baffling to me how almost nobody seems to have considered the Eightbound kit as a source of a possible plastic Angron conversion so far — except, of course, for the true master of Angron conversions, REG, who is already hot on the case…

This is a brilliant idea ideed. Honestly , I find working with metal model really hard,but I'm sure you'll pull off something awesome.

Just don't use that square base XD

And you're right, eightbounds heads are just perfect for an homemade Angron

Cheers, guys! :thumbsup:

@YannTheMad, Yeah, working with a metal model wouldn't be my first choice either, but that old Archaon model has the distinct advantage of providing an almost Primarch-like stature, and the design is also a pretty great match for Angron -- maybe I can still come up with a clever plastic alternative, but there's something I really like about that metal model, and it's not like I'd use it for anything else, really.

In the meantime, I have been building up the back of the kitbashed Eightbound a bit:

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-15.jpg

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-16.jpg

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-17.jpg

This area will still require more cleanup and polish once everything is nice and dry, but the general shape is there now. While I was at it, I also added a few bits and bobs to the backpack, in order to bring it in line with the official Eightbound backpacks:

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-18.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, guys! :thumbsup:

Regarding the Slaughterpriest, it is such a strange model, in many ways: The scale and anatomy seem so different that it not only stands out from the rest of the Blades of Khorne -- it could almost be from a different line of models or manufacturer altogether. I also nearly did a spit take when I realised that the character's looks is basically almost identical to the "Uber Immortal" from the film "300" (go ahead, google it!)

But it is a great source for conversions, with its almost Primarch-like stature, and as we have seen, it works really well as an Eightbound stand-in. Which reminds me, I totally forgot to post another round of pictures of the almost finished model (haven't done any more work on it, though):

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-24.jpg

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-25.jpg

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-23.jpg

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-22.jpg

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-21.jpg

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-20.jpg

kitbashed-eightbound-wip-19.jpg

And here's another look at th "squad" so far (no longer legal by 10th Ed. standards, I gather -- but, frankly, who cares, eh? :wink:

eightbound-squad-wip.jpg

I have also finally managed to get my hands on the Horus Heresy Praetor witht he double-handed axe, a model I have wanted to convert into a Master of Executions for a while now. When I first came up with the idea, it still felt fresh and wild -- but in the meantime, everybody and their cousin have been using the exact same approach, so I'll have to get creative to end up with a model that still manages to stand out :wink:
So I am still at the - super-early - moment in time where I just throw around random bitz and try to find out what sticks:

moe-early-wip-01.jpg

Master of Executions is looking spiffy. Tweaking that volkite pistol holster would be a neat way to make the model more of your own and add some narrative appeal.

Perhaps the Master of Executions is an ex-Librarian who has voluntarily been 'collared' to suppress his psychic might? The padded, cushioned neckguard then has a purpose, and you could have a lot of fun with lighting there. The pistol holster could then be adjusted into a scroll caddy, or perhaps a holster for the Dread Tome of Reckonings, in which the bearer records particularly notable foes that the warband must capture for him to execute?

Looks good to me - nice greenstuff work on the back of the Slaughterpriest! Although, I'm not sure the chain-polearm is long enough :tongue: :laugh: (I know it's a stock part)

The Master of Executions looks like a good start - I like the bulk of the model; it reminds me of the Warhammer+ subscription Chaos Terminator for some reason ...

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

3 hours ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

Looks good to me - nice greenstuff work on the back of the Slaughterpriest! Although, I'm not sure the chain-polearm is long enough :tongue: :laugh: (I know it's a stock part)

The Master of Executions looks like a good start - I like the bulk of the model; it reminds me of the Warhammer+ subscription Chaos Terminator for some reason ...

Now that you mention it, I do think he'd look pretty good with a chainfist!