Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

First of all, thank you all so much for the warm welcome back! I am truly humbled by all the kind words & by your enthusiasm for my work! I was also overjoyed to find this place still up and running -- and, indeed, mostly unchanged from when I left. I was slightly afraid that The Bolter & Chainsword might have gone the way of the Dodo during my hiatus. But it hasn't, and neither have I: KrautScientist is officially back in business!

...for as long as it lasts, at least: These are trying times, and I do not want to over-promise & under-deliver. Who knows how long I'll be able to keep the updates coming? What I do know, however, is that I have been tweaking some older conversions and putting the new Khorne Berzerkers kit through its paces, and I am looking forward to sharing my work with you all before long.

For today, just a quick heads-up that there's a post over on my blog giving you some info about what I have been up to during my hiatus. I'd spell it out here, but some of it moves beyond the thematic focus of this forum, so it's definitely safer (and makes more sense) to link it here. And don't you worry -- before long, we'll be looking at some World Eaters again. Who knows, maybe we'll even be coming back to Lord Captain Lorimar at some point:

lorimar-ii-wip-15.jpg

@Firedrake Cordova: As for your question: Yes, well spotted: That head was sent to me by a fellow hobbyist YEARS ago, and I have always wanted to use it for a World Eaters legionary, going so far as to build a model just to be able to include it ;-) As far as I know, the head itself came from an old plastic chaos warrior, as you said, combined with the helmet creat from an old Khorne Berzerker head and some GS tubing.

Edited by KrautScientist

Aw, @grailkeeper, that is so kind of you! Many thanks!

As for the Khornate Blood Bowl team, alas, if I ever were to build one of those - and it is quite within the realm of possibility - I would always create it by kitbashing stuff I already have. In fact, I am already holding back two or three Blood Knight models from the AoS starter box for just such a fate -- even though the temptation to just turn them into yet more World Eaters has been growing lately...

In other news, I do have another - small - update for you, as I am feeling quite pleased with myself for making a neat little conversion:

I think it's a bit of a shame that the new Khorne Berzerker kit doesn't feature a modern interpretation of the "Arx Death Helm" -- the berzerker helmet with a skull-shaped faceplate. So I made my own today, using the head of a weirdly awkward AoS Khorne character I still had lying around:

arx-death-helm-2023.jpg

That head looks great, I'm not intimately familiar with the new khorne beserker kit so if you didn't point it out I'd just assume that head was a stock part! And your most recent post addresses the one issue I had with it, which was the weirdly blank central part of the crest.

I assume you have something special planned for this head? 

Cheers, man! Yeah, that empty area on the helmet crest obviously couldn't be allowed to stand ;-)

As for the plans I have for this helmet -- phew, I may have some LOOSE ideas, but the truth is that I sometimes just enjoy making crazily involved conversions on one part that I then just keep around until its big day comes. Which may be next week, in four years...or never.

Haha, to be fair, the process of sacrifing two models like that did feel callous for a moment, even to me :wink:

But the truth is that both models have remained unpainted for...almost a decade now, shockingly enough -- so I might as well find something better to do with them, right?

The base for the Twin LC Terminator originally looked like this, btw:

lc-lord-wip-2.jpg

The basic character concept for him was to create a model with, well, a bit of a classic "Wolverine" pose, if that makes sense. And that was something I really wanted to save with the updated version. Those older Termie Lord legs no longer really fly, though, which is why I gave him Lord Zhufor's legs.

In the meantime, I've made a few more tweaks to the model, so this is what he looks like now:

clawlord-2023-03.jpg

clawlord-2023-04.jpg

clawlord-2023-05.jpg

While comparing the model to one of the new Khorne Berzerkers, I realised that the new berzerker torso pieces are actually wider than the older Terminator chest pieces, brilliantly enough:

clawlord-2023-07.jpg

So I added those small pieces of swinging chain links, not only to support the model's sense of dynamism, but also in order to visually stretch the torso -- it's a cheap trick, admittedly, but I think it works well enough.

In other news, I am still doing these tiny little sub-conversions in order to find my kitbashing feet again. For instance, consider this cheerful fellow:

new-we-kitbashes-53.jpg

A World Eaters champion wearing massive Mk. III armour (borrowed from a Plague Marine). I am still immensely happy with this guy (although I am contemplating switching out his slightly hokey FW axe for one of the new berzerker weapons), and I also rather love the head I chose for him. At the same time, I just couldn't stop wondering what his helmet might look like, so I pieced together a small conversion I had been thinking about for quite a while:

we-mk-2-helmet-kitbash-3.jpg

we-mk-2-helmet-kitbash-4.jpg

we-mk-2-helmet-kitbash-2.jpg

I really think the blunt, Mk II-ish faceplate is a great fit for the massive, spiky armour. And while I will definitely keep the bare head for the model, I am now thinking about maybe keeping the head exchangeable -- my original plan was to merely put the helmet on the model's belt, but it actually seems too cool for that :wink:

As always, let me know what you think!

I'm really glad your back at it! I've said it before, your work really makes me want to get on with my chaos guys. I've been too busy with heresy dangles but hopefully I'll  be getting to them later this year. 

For what it's worth, I prefer the helmeted version. It is totally badass!