Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

My only issue with the head is its dimensions.  It's one of the larger, goofy block heads of days gone by.  The new tactical squad techno-gasmask guy would fit the image just as well I think, while being a tad more...good? :laugh.:  It could also blend smoothly into the tube gorget thing.

I'd go with the pistol myself.  Or give his left hand a big, dangerous ax and replace the smaller, simpler one in his right hand with a pistol.  I wouldn't go double-ax either way.

As ever, awesome work.

Edited by Firepower

Cheers for the feedback, folks! I'll take some pictures with the alternate weapons, especially the chainsword, tomorrow and post them up. Still feeling in favour of the pistol though, to be honest...

@ Firepower: You have a point about the size of the head -- then again, the FW berzerker champ head actually made him look kinda pinheaded. If there is one type of body to support these older heads, it's the Dark Vengeance Chosen with their almost truescale build. I think I'll have to disagree about the new rebreather head from the tac squad: As much as I love that head, I feel it lacks the strangele idiosyncratic look of the one I chose.

I also really want to keep the small axe: Both the size and the way he's holding it makes him look like he means business, don't you think? :wink:

Edited by KrautScientist

KrautScientist:  Have you look into picking up the Bloodquest comic.  Base on a group of exile Blood Angels who battle orks & then end up on a Daemonic world with in the eye of terror.  Was part of the Warhammer Monthly comic that was release around end of 2nd ed, start 3rd ed 40k.

Just think you might like this for the art work for the Khorne Chaos Space Marines.  Try get the one with all three serise of the comic.  I've kept going back to this comic time & time again for conversion ideas.

Definitely keep the axe, mate. It just looks so ... primitive, which is probably exactly what you want for a savage berserker? I'd vote for the chainsword too, and suggest to mag-lock a plasma pistol somewhere on his armor, but I'll wait and see for the comparison pictures you're going to put up here.

May I also suggest to consider a more flash backpack than just the stock one (provided you can track down the bits)? If you can get hold of one, the one that comes with Kranon the Relentless in the Dark Vengeance box is rather similar to the one in the artwork?

@ Insane Psychopath: Cheers for the tip, mate! I've only ever seen the very first page of Bloodquest (that was part of the giveaway #0 issue of Warhammer Monthly, back in the day, plus the glimpses you've posted in your thread -- I'll have to check it out now ;)

@ Brother Kortmer: Hmm, actually I really wanted a more "standard" backpack on this guy, and not one of the warped and mutated DV ones. I will probably add some trophies, though. We'll see...

So, here are the comparison pictures I promised you:

1. With axe and chainaxe:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/1/29/682877-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Dark%20Vengeance%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

2. With axe and plasma pistol:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/1/31/683472-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.jpg

3. with two different alternate axes: one is a Beastman axe, the other one has been spliced together by me:

we_chosen_kitbash03.jpg

4. And, finally, with everybody's favourite chainsword:

we_chosen_kitbash05.jpg

I love the sword as much as you all, but I think it may not be the best choice here...

Anyway, let me know what you think! :)

This guy is cool. I do however feel he's a little too straight. It's an issue I have with the base model as well. Maybe tilting the head slightly down (if possible) or even turning his head slightly to either side could help. For the weapons I would go with the plasma pistol or actually if you have any open hands from the Sang Guard or Grey Knight kit maybe try one of them. Or a closed fist with a bunch of heads? Just a few observations/suggestions buddy. Great work on the vow by the way. The Gorespite is awesome and I love the name. :)

Your chibi knight has every one of my approvals. All of them!

SAME.

As to the model at hand, I think Biohazard's right about the pose; try a slight sideways/downward tilt of the head. To either side would work, depending on what you equip him with. I think the first of the dual axes the the best weapon loadout, it complements the other axe without overshadowing it (which the heavier, cleaver-blade and spiked counterweight of the beastman axe do, somewhat)

You can deny genius all you want, but the use of that meltagun on the mini knight (and the model itself) quietly grumbles otherwise. :P

I think either the PP, the chain sword or the second dual normal axes - the first one has a weird balance to it due to the paralel lines the hafts create.

Whatever you do, I'd give you the following advice. The lefthanded axe gives it a really nice menacing, barbaric look. However, the way his arm bends looks unnatural to me. It's probably because the current positioning of his elbow makes it look like he is making a downward angle. If you cut the arm in half right above the edge of his arm brace and twist it ever so slightly clockwise (from his shoulder's pov), you can mitigate this effect and make it look like he is actually carrying the axe.

Savvy? (I hope this all has made sense) ;)

Wel, sir, if you'll excuse the mini-hijack, I felt my hand was forced to cobble this together:

http://i57.tinypic.com/24g9c43.jpg 

- original artwork 

The Marauder arms are fairly skinny, and the chest comically heavy, and the legs were all I had......but that's what raced through my mind at the time, just so you know I'm not totally mad.  :laugh.:  Unfortunately, he's made of bits required elsewhere, so he exists no more.....

Would definitely be a great true-scale project though, utilising Ork arms and fitting legs. You seem attached on the current fella though, so hopefully it'll inspire something else along the line.

(Although we should have contests based on artwork, perhaps in the WE thread ?)

What OSS posted is almost exactly what I would do. Like he says with slightly different bits though

A mini build off does sound like a good idea though. I need a new Skull Champ for my 3rd squad of Zerkers hmm.

Edited by Biohazard

Thanks for the well-considered feedback, guys! This really helps, even in those cases where I just elect to ignore any kind of useful criticism and stick to my own plans out of spite ;)

Seriously, though: I think I am going to keep the plasma pistol -- it just seems like the cleanest, most sensible option to me -- and I am usually the first guy to put two (or more) CC weapons on my models. Maybe it's also the fact that I always love painting blue plasma coils? I don't know...

Whatever you do, I'd give you the following advice. The lefthanded axe gives it a really nice menacing, barbaric look. However, the way his arm bends looks unnatural to me. It's probably because the current positioning of his elbow makes it look like he is making a downward angle. If you cut the arm in half right above the edge of his arm brace and twist it ever so slightly clockwise (from his shoulder's pov), you can mitigate this effect and make it look like he is actually carrying the axe.

Savvy? (I hope this all has made sense) :wink:

Cheers, mate! Just for clarification: When you say "lefthanded", you actually mean the model's right hand, right? Or not? Because the position really doesn't look all that wrong to me, when looking firsthand at the model...

Wel, sir, if you'll excuse the mini-hijack, I felt my hand was forced to cobble this together:

http://i57.tinypic.com/24g9c43.jpg

- original artwork

The Marauder arms are fairly skinny, and the chest comically heavy, and the legs were all I had......but that's what raced through my mind at the time, just so you know I'm not totally mad.  :laugh.:  Unfortunately, he's made of bits required elsewhere, so he exists no more.....

Would definitely be a great true-scale project though, utilising Ork arms and fitting legs. You seem attached on the current fella though, so hopefully it'll inspire something else along the line.

(Although we should have contests based on artwork, perhaps in the WE thread ?)

You're right: I am kinda attached to the model's present incarnation (maybe because I've already started seeing him as a character?). That said, you mockup is really promising and awesome, and you may rest assured that it will very likely spawn a similar model at a point in the not too-distant future -- thanks for the inspiration! Awesome! :)

*facepalm* you're totally right, I meant right arm.

Now, this guy looks fine:

But with this guy there's something weird going on with the pose of his right arm.

In the latter poses, his elbow is showing directly to the front, so that his lower arm would come straight at the fourth wall should he flex his biceps. The wrist however, is very bent, at an angle that kinda feels unnatural when holding an axe with that size and mass, in that angle. This combined with the relatively wide angle of the arm to the body makes for an -in my opinion - unnatural look.

The former picture, with the huge chainaxe in his, yes, left hand, doesn't have this problem. The angle of the arm to the body is considerably smaller, and the arm is twisted slightly towards the body, so that the wrist-and-axe-at-that-angle look far more plausible. 

I hope it's clearer now what I mean.... :biggrin.:

This is just massive nitpicking on my part, but I only do it because I know you hold yourself to very high standards. :biggrin.::thumbsup:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Cheers, guys! :)

@ Augustus b'Raass: Ah, thanks for explaining that! I see what you mean now, and you're quite right to point it out! I did try to slightly change the position of the arm again, but since most of the shoulder joint has been built from GS, I abhor the thought of ripping it all apart again. Still, I've tried to mimic the finished pose with my own arm, and it's neither impossible nor unbelievably uncomfortable, so that's a small consolation at least ;)

All in all, this is the finished conversion:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/2/4/684323-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

As you can see, I have replaced the strange, unconnected cables at the top of the chestplate with a gorget piece. It's not easy to make out in the picture, but it looks like it's decorated with a row of stylised teeth, which I think is a rather nice fit for a World Eater.

Thanks again for all the feedback -- I imagine it'll carry me well into the next set of conversions ;) And, as always, let me know what you think!

Cheers, guys!

Only something tiny for today, but something I am very pleased with nevertheless: My latest Chosen conversion resulted in half a chopped-off Chosen head, and since I am always careful not to throw away anything the might yet prove useful, I tried my best to repair that helmet for future use. The solution was to splice it together with the jaws of a Cairn Wraith skull. Take a look:

chosen_helmet_wip1.jpg

While this helmet will need some more work (as well as a neck portion), I am just stupidly happy with this for some reason ;)