Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Alright, here goes:

axe_measurements.jpg

Hope this helps! I did the best I could, although it has to be said I merely used my tape measure, alright? No NASA technology or anything, so don't sue me if there's a milimetre more or less than I wrote ;)

Edited by KrautScientist

Now that you have started this beast, do you feel the price tag is justified?   with or without discount.

Really want this model, but I best get core units for my army first. :(

Edited by Eberious

@ Eberious: Questions like that are always kinda hard to answer, because everything depends on personal opinions so much. Let me give it my best shot, though:

Whether or not you'll think the price tag is justified depends on what you are looking for: 90 odd Euros (or whatever kind of money buys you your plastic crack in your particular part of old Terra) is a hefty price to pay. Here's what you get for that:

• a huge daemon with a combination of massive weapons of your choice. The model is exceptionally well planned and goes together like a dream (for the most part). The alternate weapons and heads make for quite a bit of customisability, although more involved conversions could be tough: This guy doesn't exactly lend himself to being reposed, so in case you're going for something more adventurous, some serious conversion work will be in order. Whichever approach you choose, this model will be a centrepiece of your army -- count on it.
  • in addition, you get a tidy pile of extra parts that can be used on other projects: You will always have two leftover heads and at least two leftover weapons, plus a couple of extra arms. Some of this stuff is pretty situational due to its size, but some of the parts are very useful for any scale of model, including regular infantry. For the record, I have used leftover bitz from the Bloodthirster to seriously spice up a Daemon Prince and add a small additional flourish to a Dark Apostle in Terminator armour and my Imperial Knight conversion so far, and there are still quite a few bitz left.
  • the model truly updates the look of the Bloodthirster and brings it into the 21st century, if you ask me: Whatever kind of Bloodthirster you like, this kit should have something for you. In fact, there's probably nothing about the kit I really hate -- except maybe for that fairly stupid meteor hammer, and even those bitz are great: It's just that the weapon itself seems pretty stupid to me on this model.

So, all in all, is it worth it? If you love Khorne and want a centre piece daemon model for your army, then yes, definitely. 90 Euros is a lot of dough, but the money buys you an exceptionally beautiful model, in my opinion. Is it a sensible purchase, though? I don't know. If you have stuff you need to get your army running first, you may want to get that first. The Bloodthirster is the extravagant and beautiful piece to top it all off.

So yeah, make of that what you will. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. It's still mighty expensive, though :wink:

Edited by KrautScientist

Just a small update for today, because I am simply too tired for anything more:  I've picked up my box of Skullreapers/Wrathmongers, and my first impression is that these are probably a perfect set of conversion stuff for 40k Khorne -- the models are scaled to fit almost perfectly with the DV Chosen, and there are so many awesome bitz in the kit. Some of the weapons are very much OTT, but on the other hand, the heads and faces are far better than they seemed in GW's promotional images. 

Take a look at this scale comparison between a (slightly modified) Chosen model and a Wrathmonger:

wrathmongers_first_impressions-1.jpg

While the Wrathmonger may be slightly taller, the scale is still pretty similar -- so similar, in fact, that parts from the Chosen will fit the Wrathmonger/Skullreaper models without a hitch. It's also important to stress that the guy on the right doesn't even qualify as an early WIP -- I just tacked together some bitz, in order to show you the scale.

I also found it interesting that some of the - almost comically brutish - Skullreaper heads work much better when used on "regular" CSM models. Take a look:

wrathmongers_first_impressions-2.jpg

Much better, don't you think? I've merely shaved off those stupid "cheek horns".

Oh, and one thing that really excites me is that you basically get twice as many torso pieces as you need: One set for the Skullreapers and one for the Wrathmongers. And each of those pieces has its own breastplate, which can be used as intended or cut apart to use on your other WoC/CSM models -- all in all, this kit provides an enormous pile of leftover bitz for conversions, which makes it a pretty good purchase, if you are not totally disgusted by the look of these guys.

Anyway, so much for now ;)

Haha, yeah: That is a pretty likely possibility, mate ;) I think I'll spend some time thinking about what I want to do with these guys. Making some of them into Chosen seems like a sound plan, although the guy with the mutated legs could form the base on a plastic counts as Skulltaker -- we will see...

Until then, here's what I did with that chaos star from the Bloodthirster's whip:

dark-apostle-belzas-azalon-3.jpg

As you can see, it makes for a teriffic Crozius Maul for my Word Bearers Dark Apostle, Belzas Azalon. I also touched up the right shoulder pad, while I was at it ;)

As always, let me know what you think!

Darn good use of that awesome bit, mate. Also, I see you also opted for the -what Flint calls- 'soccer mom hairdo' setting of the horns of the chaos knight horn bit. (no idea what it means though) Looks awesome. 

About our little trade around: I PMd you about it and, seeing as we made it public, I feel obligated to tell your followers: I've bought my own Bloodthirster (couldn't resist) so you don't have to send the double handed axe. I will however build and send you a Berzerker in 'Augustus style', along with the caged skeleton bit, 'cuz you're my BnC buddy. :thumbsup:

Edit: corrected weird mistake.

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Mate, that's amazing! And I mean both your purchase of a Bloodthirster (that model will be so awesome, once you are finished with it) and your going through with the berzerker -- I'll have to do a Night Lord for your army now, I suppose ;)

Thanks so much!

As for the horns on the shoulderpad: I see where Flint gets the "soccer mom" association -- in fact, I am kinda worried I won't be able to unsee it now ;) But yeah, that shoulder pad needed sorting out, even though the idea was great. That Apostle was one of my earliest involved conversions after getting back into the hobby, and I wasn't quite as confident a converter back then. So going back now to touch up a few of those early rough spots feels good ;)

Oh wow... That Wrath box is going to end up exactly like the CSM warp talons; used for everything except what they were originally intended. 

I think that Dark Apostle is my favorite of the past couple months!

Cheers for the feedback, people! And sorry for taking a while to get around to posting the next update ;)

Oh wow... That Wrath box is going to end up exactly like the CSM warp talons; used for everything except what they were originally intended. 

I think that Dark Apostle is my favorite of the past couple months!

100% agreed on the kit: It'll become the new Khornate Chaos Lord and Chosen conversion kit, just you watch ;) As for the Apostle: Thanks, but seeing how the original model was converted back in 2010 or so, I am not sure I am too happy with you liking it more than my more recent work... ;)

Interesting, I wasn't impressed with the Skullmomgers/Wrathreaper kit but it does seem to have its use. You said he Bloodthirsty would be a pain to convert, how much of pain, for example, would repositioning the legs be?

In my opinion, reposing those legs would be quite a bit of work, and it would almost certainly involve some measure of GS sculpting, depending on how adventurous you feel. That said, it can certainly be done, as Noctus Cornix has shown rather beautifully.

... I'll have to do a Night Lord for your army now, I suppose :wink: ...

It's on like Alderaan?

Oh, it's definitely on -- I'll build a Night Lord in your honour and all. It's just that I have so much on my plate right now that I am not exactly sure when I'll get around to it -- sorry ;)

So yeah, meanwhile, the experiments with the Skullreaper/Wrathmonger kit continue. In a move of nearly unbelievable generosity, Commissar Molotov recently sent me a huge pile of stuff, including a lot of leftover DV Chosen and Chosen parts, so I have all the material I need to experiment with those two resources in earnest.

Let's start with something boring: A fairly stock Skullreaper with a tacked on Chosen arm:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/3/22/697872-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt%2C%20Kitbash.JPG

Everything's just tacked together for now, in order to show you how well those Chosen arms work with the models.

And here's something more involved: A mix of Wrathmonger/Skullreaper and DV parts:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/3/22/697873-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt%2C%20Kitbash.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/3/22/697874-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt%2C%20Kitbash.JPG

Once again, all the parts have only been tacked together with modeling putty for now, but there's something suitably gladiatorial and feral about this guy that I like. I also think the model serves as proof that those leftover Wrathmonger chests can really be put to good use!

One important thing, though: The stock Wrathmongers/Skullreapers are a bit taller than the FV Chosen:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/3/22/697875-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt%2C%20Kitbash.JPG

So the best approach would probably be to save the Wrathmongers/Skullreapers for unit champs, Chaos Lords etc.

Oh, and one last thing: This very cool gentleman was also a part of Molotov's bitz drop: Malthus Dire, champion of Khorne:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/3/22/697871-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt%2C%20Kitbash.JPG

Such a deceptively simple, yet awesome conversion! I'll make sure to paint him up to the best of my abilities, in Mol's honour!

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Time to catch up on the EH - did he get the thirster? Did he get the thirster? HE GOT THE THIRSTER.

That might be the coolest Apostle I've ever seen, and I had the exact same thought about the whip-end when I saw it; glad it works that way! I reckon it'd make a great icon, too, but I can't figure out what to mount it on because the icon/banner pole isn't thick enough, it needs the power gubbins from the TDA sorc's staff as a base.

Glad to see you have some Wrathmongers, I suspected you would. They're looking cool. I snapped up Skarr yesterday, as an aside, and while I'm sure you already planned to (and possibly did) I have to say: buy this mini please.

So, here's another small update: In a spontaneous moment of inspiration, I used yet another of the DV Chosen sent to me by Commissar Molotov as a base for a counts as Huron Blackheart conversion:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/3/23/698245-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Counts%20As%2C%20Dark%20Vengeance.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/3/23/698246-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Counts%20As%2C%20Dark%20Vengeance.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/3/23/698247-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Counts%20As%2C%20Dark%20Vengeance.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/3/23/698248-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Counts%20As%2C%20Dark%20Vengeance.JPG

As you can see, most of stock Huron's characteristic elements are there -- I even got a bit of a kick out of having the model in a pose similar to that of the stock model, albeit more dynamic. The model will still need a bit more work, especially when it comes to the backpack and to making the character look more like his own man than a Huron stand-in. One thing I really like is how carefully shaving off the original head allowed me to keep some of the cabling from the stock head and make it look like they are feeding into the bionic side of the head:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/3/23/698249-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Counts%20As%2C%20Dark%20Vengeance.JPG

In the interest of full disclosure, the conversion takes quite a few cues from the work of my fellow Brother-Slaugtherers DexterKong (the general idea and some of the "ingredients") and Biohazard (the axe conversion).

As always, let me know what you think! :)

I have a quiet love for the Red Corsairs and a huge love for the Badab war. That's an excellent Huron, well done Kraut. ^,,,^

Can we have a bits breakdown plz? Really like that 2nd ed looking hand flamer.

Cheers, guys! :)

@ The Psyco: To be honest, the asymmetry was something I actually encouraged (by cutting off a cable from the right side of his torso, for example), because I wanted him to seem slightly lopsided. After all, he has this monstrous bionic left arm, and I wanted to underline that effect.

@ Barraka: No problem, here's the bitz list:

• Body and left arm: Dark Vengeanc Chosen
  • right arm: Dark Vengeance Chosen Champion. The axe head came from the WFB warshrine of chaos kit
  • head: half-bionic head from the old plastic Devastator squad (I think...)
  • right pauldron: WFB Chaos Knights
  • flamer: I think this might be an old flame pistol from a 2nd edition cc weapon sprue -- not sure though, I just picked this up as part of an ebay auction.

Hope this helps! :)

@ Augustus b'Raass: The Khârn conversion is really cool, isn't it? Just in case, though: It wasn't built by me, but by Commissar Molotov, who informed me that it's actually about ten years old! Which goes to show that good, clean conversion work never goes out of style ;)

Ten years old indeed, and looking a bit shabby to my eyes - hence why I palmed him off to a Khorne fanatic like you... 

I do think his plastic arm could do with being replaced by something a little thicker and newer - perhaps giving him a fancy new chainaxe would be a good thing, too! 

As I said to you via email, perhaps he wears a skull mask (or he has the old daemonic visage trait) because his skull will be his last gift to Khorne... 

I like the Huron count as. I personally would add some cabling from the Flamer as at the moment I feel it looks like it has just been out onto the power fist rather then a weapon that was built in.

Oh and thanks for the answer on the bloodthirster legs and the link, I think I going to try and do something crazy!