Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Great final guy, there Kraut. And the axe fist works surprisingly well!

The squat as a whole looks super cool - and I can only imagine how they will look ince painted up. Very true to the Blanchian pic you based them on.

I stillt hink the top knots needs some sort of 'attachment bit' to make them look like they are an ornament. They still -in my eyes- look like they grow out of the armour, which just doesn't work imho. Just a simple washer, perhaps a 1-2mm cut-off oiece from some plastic rod, would do the trick.

The terminators are looking awesome, your flamer in particular is my favourite. The old rebreather head brings back so many memories for me and I wish I had still had one to use for my space marines. In regards to the colour scheme, I think your right to stick with the Blue and white, it just makes the blood stand out more :D

I had theorized that the armour of the World Eaters went from white to red due to the amount of constant bloodshed they commited in the 10,000 years since the heresy and that constant immersion in vitae had permanently dyed their amour.

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :smile.:

@ Auggs: Yeah, I haven't forgotten about that particular piece of criticism -- it's more like I am waiting for the right idea (or the right bit) to hit me before I rup those topknots back off :wink: Still, I am pretty sure I'll be changing this before painting the models, so you can sleep easy :wink:

@ Dosjetka: Hmm, not sure I agree about them looking too chaotic, mate, If anything, the stock Cataphractii don't look chaotic and vicious enough to represent a XII legion force circa Purging of Nuceria/Shadow War. There's actually very little about them that could really be seen as outright chaotic, and I've tried to keep the signs slightly ambiguous. You are right about the axe, though: As I've already outlined, I will probably fill in the chaotic arrows and the nicks in the blade with GS.

@ Lord Commander Eidolon: The topknots are tails from the WFB Empire Knights' horses.

@ Soric: Yeah, I remember that part about the World Eaters' armour turning red due to all the blood, but I've never liked that justification all that much, to be honest. It seems a bit puerile to me, plus some of the more recent BL publications seem to contradict it, stating the change in colour happened over time and was more of a deliberate choice, first from a couple of legionaries and companies, and ultimately of the entire legion.

Anyway, in other news, maybe you'd like to know what happened with that true scale Chapter Master I was working on? Step this way -- I'll be putting it all in spoiler tags, though, because it's still rather off topic, strictly speaking:

There's still quite a bit of fine tuning to be done, but here's what I have:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/4/15/792848-Adeptus%20Astartes%2C%20Art%20Scale%2C%20Chapter%20Master%2C%20Golden%20Legion%2C%20Inq28%2C%20Inquisitor.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/4/15/792849-Adeptus%20Astartes%2C%20Art%20Scale%2C%20Chapter%20Master%2C%20Golden%20Legion%2C%20Inq28%2C%20Inquisitor.JPG

As you can see, I did go with the planned Deathwing sword -- only it turned out to be a bit longer than expected, meaning I had to tweak the pose accordingly. But I am pretty happy with the result. The left hand is a placeholder for now -- I carefully dug out the original hand because I wanted to be more flexible, but maybe I shouldn't have bothered. Anyway, I think the hand will either be empty or be holding a pistol of some sort -- maybe a 30k style plasma pistol?!

Here's the model's back with the cape provisionally tacked in place:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/4/15/792850-Adeptus%20Astartes%2C%20Art%20Scale%2C%20Chapter%20Master%2C%20Golden%20Legion%2C%20Inq28%2C%20Inquisitor.JPG

And here it is again, without the cape and backpack, allowing you to look at the converted back: It's basically a shaved down GK Terminator torso back, which fit surprisingly well:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/4/15/792852-Adeptus%20Astartes%2C%20Art%20Scale%2C%20Chapter%20Master%2C%20Golden%20Legion%2C%20Inq28%2C%20Inquisitor.JPG

And here's a size comparison with Brother Auriga:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/4/15/792851_sm-Adeptus%20Astartes%2C%20Art%20Scale%2C%20Chapter%20Master%2C%20Golden%20Legion%2C%20Inq28%2C%20Inquisitor.JPG

One thing you may have noticed in the pictures above is that I did try to add a stylised deathmask to the model's right pauldron. But while I did manage to make a fairly serviceable copy of a Sanguinary Guard mask using GS, the element never stopped bothering me. After taking those pictures, I ripped it off again, shaved it down a bit and tried to reattach it -- and it just didn't come together the way I wanted. For now, I have swapped in a different shoulder pad with a Crux Terminatus, and I do like it better than the alternative. It was a nice idea, but it just didn't work all that well. I have also started to add a bit more bling to the armour -- this guy's a Chapter Master, after all.

So here's what I have right now: Lord Commander Orestes Prabian of the Golden Legion:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/4/15/792853-Adeptus%20Astartes%2C%20Art%20Scale%2C%20Chapter%20Master%2C%20Golden%20Legion%2C%20Inq28%2C%20Inquisitor.JPG

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:
Edited by KrautScientist

I for one dig the pose. Looks really stoic and imposing.

All in all I love 'im. The sword looks a lot better than I expected, and I'm now glad you didn't follow my silly advice. The only thing I'd add at this stage is perhaps a little icon or an iron halo or something to the top of the backpack, to give him a bit more vertical presence. That said, it could end up looking overly busy, so maybe not. Either way, he looks superb.

Yeah, and neither should it, because I wanted a really static pose for this guy. Just  to explain what I was going for...

I guess my issue is that parts of him look in motion, and others don't and it just seems a little off. Granted, that might just be because you are using models designed to be active in a passive pose, and there isn't much to do about it. He does look good, and I really only notice the strangeness I am seeing under very close scrutiny.

This guys looking really promising.

I can see where teetengee and thousand eyes are coming from. From the back he looks very regal and as someone else says stoic with his sword planted and cape flowing in the wind. Although the effect is lost slightly when the models viewed from the front. I think it's mainly the legs, granted there's not a lot to be done with them without a ridiculous amount of work for what's possibly a very simple fix, to me this guy looks like he's striding forward and using the sword as a crutch of sorts, think Gandalf and his staff in the movies.

Maybe if you bring his right arm forward ever so slightly and raise his base a little so the area he's standing on is slightly raised at one side? I don't mean the traditional capt Morgan pose but having his base sloped slightly as if he's standing on a slight gradient. Id maybe also turn his head more towards the sword as that definitely seems to be a focal point for him. I can imagine him striding up to a bested foe, planting the sword in the ground in front of them, reciting the emperors prayer and then lopping the heretics head off.

I can't help but think he needs something in his left hand as well. I instantly thought of a skull censur on a chain like an old piece of artwork from 3rd ed I think that showed a Chaplian. I'll see if I can find it and PM you.

Again though he's off to a great start and kudos on the idea of using the GK torso piece. It works really well.

Edited by Biohazard

Personally, I feel that if you just turned the model's head a few degrees more towards where his sword rests, the pose would flow a lot better. As it currently stands there's dynamism in the pose, but the line that can be traced from the outstretched sword arm to the cape and the balteus in the wind to the bent second arm is broken by how the head is facing. I think if that was changed, the pose would work leagues better.

He looks awesome, BTW. Absolutely cracking. Probably my favorite true-scale Marine ever, actually.

I really love the choice of head. Probably my favorite astartes bare head of all time, so this model automatically gets an A. He looks very knightly with the plated armor. The pose falls short for me because of the sword arm choice combined with those legs. He comes off as he's using it to help him along, almost like a wizard would with his staff. Keep working it IMO and don't be discouraged. I like where you're going :)

I love the pose. To me, it's a classic comic book pose. Static, but with that first clenched and holding back, along with the legs, he's ready to spring forward. It's a sort of instantly-recognizable menace. Perfect, IMO, and not done often enough in our quest for dynamism.

And yes, I think that's my fave astartes head of all time as well. Not least because he looks a lot like my stepfather and imagining him as an astartes is hilarious.

I like the concept too. Very much, indeed.

However I have to agree with others about the pose: I see that the idea behind this miniature is a stoic, static 'at ease' pose. However, the legs give off a definite movement, which makes the execution of the idea flawed. It doesn't have a wizardly staff pose, like others suggested, mind you. To me, this mini minus the head tells the following story: he was in the stoic pose you intended to convey, but a split second ago some assailant took a swing at him from his 2 o'clock, and he is in the midst of taking a step back to get in a combat stance, whilst pushing his sword arm out so the sword remains in place to block said swing. Now, I did say "minus the head" because to make this story work his head should have been looking along his arm towards the assailant - exactly like The Psycho said. As his head is now, it feels not quite right. It's still facing as in the stoic pose, but any warrior will face the enemy. A slight turn will make it work. Or a massive reworking of the legs, to get the dynamism out and the 'at ease' in. But as the mini is now, the head's direction and the legs' movement are at odds with each other.

Sorry to pile on you with the others - all is meant as constructive critique.

Edit: I've edited my comment a bit to better convey my meaning. Hope you haven't read it yet.

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Put a small rock or enemy corpse under the left foot so he is ever so slightly more vertical and might arrest the forward motion of the model a  little, then twist the right wrist slightly back and out to bring the sword vertical also. If it is too long, snip a tiny bit of off the tip of the blade, or cut a tiny slot in the base for the blade to sink in to the earth.

He'll maybe look a little Captain Morgan, but I believe it will help give a more stoic pose.

Maybe an amulet/ auspex/ something retrieved from a traitor in the left hand?

The model is cool and has a huge amount of potential.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I really appreciate it! :)

Now, regarding the model's pose, I have to say that I keep looking at the model, trying to spot the problem you all describe, and I am just not seeing it -- or at least not nearly to the degree you guys are. I don't want to come across as merely being contrary here, either -- it's just that I am really pretty happy with the pose as is, and I don't think any "fixing" is required, really. The precise position of the head may change a bit yet (although I rather like it at that angle), and there's the basing to be considered, of course, but when all is said and one, please don't be disappointed if I don't change anything much about the pose, as it's really exactly the way I wanted it to be honest...

Now as for the left hand, I am very much open to ideas, as I am not quite happy with that part myself -- a brazier or lantern might work. Or maybe I'll just replace the entire left forearm with one of the Cataphractii lightning claws? I am a bit hesitant about adding any kind of pistol or bolter, because I feel it would kinda undermine the rest of the composition. But if you have any more ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Here's another small update: Prompted by DexterKong, I gave the right pauldron another try, and I am much happier with the result now. I simply grafted a plastic Sanguinary Guard faceplate to the shoulder pad, and it worked much better than the GS copy I had on there earlier:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/4/16/792966-Adeptus%20Astartes%2C%20Art%20Scale%2C%20Chapter%20Master%2C%20Golden%20Legion%2C%20Inq28%2C%20Inquisitor.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/4/16/792967-Adeptus%20Astartes%2C%20Art%20Scale%2C%20Chapter%20Master%2C%20Golden%20Legion%2C%20Inq28%2C%20Inquisitor.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/4/16/792968-Adeptus%20Astartes%2C%20Art%20Scale%2C%20Chapter%20Master%2C%20Golden%20Legion%2C%20Inq28%2C%20Inquisitor.JPG

As I have mentioned earlier, the idea behind the deathmask is that it's the stylised face of the Imperial Martyr Sabasto, Patron Saint of the Velsen Sector. The Golden Legion were his personal guard of honour when he reclaimed the sector for the Imperium about 1,500 years ago, and his ultimate demise at the very forefront of the Crusade remains a mark of shame to the chapter, and a reason for their fanatical need to protect the Velsen Sector against any enemies from without.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/4/16/792969-Adeptus%20Astartes%2C%20Art%20Scale%2C%20Chapter%20Master%2C%20Golden%20Legion%2C%20Inq28%2C%20Inquisitor.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/4/16/792970-Adeptus%20Astartes%2C%20Art%20Scale%2C%20Chapter%20Master%2C%20Golden%20Legion%2C%20Inq28%2C%20Inquisitor.JPG

As always, let me know what you think! :)

I for one love the pose. As for the left arm, maybe use the wolverine-style lightning claw attachment that comes with the BaC tacticals? That might look more heroic than a Cataphractii claw. You might not even need to replace the forearm then.

If you mimic the pose yourself, you'll feel that it's not at-ease. That's what I mean with a sense of dynamism. His torso is ever so slightly leaning forward, which means his center of gravity is not exactly midway between the space between his feet, or the center of his feet. Visual explanation in hidden brackets..

Hidden Content

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/pbAugustus/792970-Adeptus%20Astartes%20Art%20Scale%20Chapter%20Master%20Golden%20Legion%20Inq28%20Inquisitor_zpsh4m4mbce.jpg

The orange line is his baseline. Where it's being crossed by the green spot is the middle of this base. he'd be at ease if his center of balance (the red circle) would be right above that point. But it's not, as his center of balance is quite a ways to his left - and as such he´s slightly off balance. If he'd be given a hard push (by another being with as much mass and power as him, say another power armoured astartes) from anywhere between his 4 to 8 o'clock, he'd have a hard time not having to move his feet to remain standing. As such, he's not balanced, and thus he cannot be at ease. You'd have to contract some lower back and abdominal muscles to remain in that pose. This is also why his left knee is slightly bent - another indication of muscle tension. So by definition it means he's not at ease. All in all, to me, his pose conveys a halted movement to his left, which I see amplified by the way the straps of his balteus are swinging.

I'm not saying it's not a cool pose - it most definitely is a cool pose! :) I'm just saying that the pose doesn't strike me as being at-ease. Sorry if I am nagging about this. I did quite a bit of judo, jiu jitsu, theatre and rock-climbing, all of which focus on balance and weight distribution. So I'm a bit of a stickler for miniatures' poses.

That being said, dude, it is your dude and if you like him as he is, screw me and the rest of us! concerning his right hand: how about his clenched fist holding a decapitated head by the hair? You could get a head from the zombie kit, the Orc Boyz kit, or from the chaos vehicle sprue's spikes, and greenstuff some hair. :thumbsup:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass