Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

After Uveron's comments I can see him digging through rubble or ripping open a transport to get at something squishy hiding inside especially in the latest picture. 

Great work, I second something else on the metal some of the areas are a little large as they are, gore splatters or weathering would be great.  

Cheers, guys!

Regarding the question of the hand ripping something open or holding something, I've tried lots of things to make it happen, but have ultimately decided against it -- those Maulerfiend arms don't lend themselves at all well to any larger surgeries, unfortunately, and adding something suitably huge to the base would just end up looking silly, given the fact that he'll be put on a standard Dreadnought/DP base and there's just not a whole lot of room on there.

That being said, he'll be positioned on the base in such a way to suggest that he's either barreling forwards or reaching down towards opponents beneath him, and I think the effect should work well enough.

Regarding the bronze armour, I doubt I'll be changing much about it, unfortunately: The colour is less flat in real life, and I am really rather taken with the simplicity of the effect. Definitely no verdigris, either, as verdigris just makes zero sense on a daemon, unless it's a Nurglite daemon -- just think about it for a second before you disagree ;)

Cheers, buddy! :)

The Triumph Rope is a gladiatorial tradition from Angron's homeworld: For every battle, you cut yourself a scar. If the battle was won, you let it heal cleanly, if the battle was lost, you rub some dirt from the battlefield into the cut. You'll end up with a red or a black twist, and all the twists together will form a scar around your torso telling of your victories and losses, and that's the Triumph Rope.

Those sockets are something I am really proud of, because I used a pretty neat trick, if I do say so myself: I added some GS to the area where I wanted a socket, then used a ballpoint pen to create it: The outer rim is the pen's casing, and carefully pushing out the pen's point will create the actual hole in the middle. Did that make sense? it was actually far harder to put into (English) words than to simply use the actual technique ;)

@ Augs: Steal away! It's an easy enough recipe, and I would love to see it used elsewhere as well!

@ Mechanist: I am actually thinking about an optional, larger base for the smaller base to slot into, which would also make the model useable as, say, a Maulerfiend in a pinch. And such a base could then include whatever it is the creature is currently taking apart ;)

But such considerations will have to wait for a later point. Right now, here's my completed Daemon Prince, dubbed "The Avatar of the Hunt" for now:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/28/810156-Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Prince%2C%20Daemonkin%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/28/810154-Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Prince%2C%20Daemonkin%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/28/810153-Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Prince%2C%20Daemonkin%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/28/810152-Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Prince%2C%20Daemonkin%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/28/810159-Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Prince%2C%20Daemonkin%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/28/810158-Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Prince%2C%20Daemonkin%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/28/810151-Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Prince%2C%20Daemonkin%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/28/810150-Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Prince%2C%20Daemonkin%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/28/810160-Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Prince%2C%20Daemonkin%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

I believe the colours and recipes used on the Daemon Prince and Skulltaker conversions will facture rather heavily into any additional daemons that may be in the cards for my army -- for instance, after two successful test runs, you can expect the recipe for the skin to appear again on my Bloodthirster.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/28/810161-Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Prince%2C%20Daemonkin%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

But anyway: For now, the finished model also marks the completion of my second ETL vow. Yay! :)

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/6/28/810155-Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Prince%2C%20Daemonkin%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

2nd ETL vow finished!

As always, let me know what you think! :)

The Prince looks fantastic! If I had one complaint it's that the blood oozing from the symbols in his armour looks a little thin, particularly on the right shoulder pad. Perhaps a second coat is needed? Could just be the photos or my perception though. Overall though I adore him.

I must admit, I love the look of the Warhammer Fantasy beasts that came out around Storm of Magic, like the Manticore, the Chimera and the Cockatrice. Even as someone who doesn't play WHFB (though I would if I weren't such a slow painter) I'd love to have a go at painting them. Plus, there's lots of bits in the sets that would be really useful, like the Manticore lord's cloak of chains.

But yes, anyway. He looks awesome and I can't wait to see what you do next. If I may say so, I'd love to see you do a plastic conversion of a Blood Slaughterer. Even as a filthy Slaanesh player I love the look of that thing, and I'd love to see your interpretation on it.

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

Avatar of the hunt, The Great Hound, The Hungering Huntsman.....

....fluffy to his friends

Not only did you make me laugh, but you also offered some legitimately awesome additional bynames for my Daemon Prince -- good show, sir ;)

@ Squigsquasher: While there are many problems with the Manticor - it's a strangely proportioned beast with a pronounced paunch for starters, and the pose is really wkward if you want to use it for anything other than a mount for a Chaos Lord - there is something that made me want to use those parts. The face is brilliant, for instance: Full of rage and a perfect fit for Khorne, plus the whole setup with the head and tail just reminded me of the Behemoth, a recurring monster from the Final Fantasy series. Anyway, I think I did the best I could with the material I had on hand ;)

As for the possibility of a third vow, I am not sure. It might happen yet, but please don't count on it: I've had a pretty good run this ETL, at least for my sloppy standard, and certainly a much better run than I expected. So we'll see.

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

Avatar of the hunt, The Great Hound, The Hungering Huntsman.....

....fluffy to his friends

Not only did you make me laugh, but you also offered some legitimately awesome additional bynames for my Daemon Prince -- good show, sir ;)
I do my best hah hah *bows*

@ Squigsquasher: While there are many problems with the Manticor - it's a strangely proportioned beast with a pronounced paunch for starters, and the pose is really wkward if you want to use it for anything other than a mount for a Chaos Lord - there is something that made me want to use those parts. The face is brilliant, for instance: Full of rage and a perfect fit for Khorne, plus the whole setup with the head and tail just reminded me of the Behemoth, a recurring monster from the Final Fantasy series. Anyway, I think I did the best I could with the material I had on hand ;)

As for the possibility of a third vow, I am not sure. It might happen yet, but please don't count on it: I've had a pretty good run this ETL, at least for my sloppy standard, and certainly a much better run than I expected. So we'll see.

Well now that you mention it, the behemoth is uncanny...however...giant purple beasties are more the forte of slaannesh worshippers Edited by Andvarr A

Well now that you mention it, the behemoth is uncanny...however...giant purple beasties are more the forte of slaannesh worshippers

Haha, yeah, but I obviously couldn't go for purple skin -- no Slaaneshi dogs in my army, thank you very much ;)

Well now that you mention it, the behemoth is uncanny...however...giant purple beasties are more the forte of slaannesh worshippers

Haha, yeah, but I obviously couldn't go for purple skin -- no Slaaneshi dogs in my army, thank you very much ;)

*Looks around...*

Rokkitz launched

Ya know.... my day was going along just fine, then I saw that Castellean conversion and now I'm going to have to buy a box. Dammit Krautscientist, you are not helping me stop buying models!  Seriously though, brilliant conversion and I will be looting that once I get done painting my loyalist scum.  LOVE the deamon prince, I got that same head in a bitz order a while back ans was thinking about it for a deamon prince.  Looks great!   As always. :)

Cheers, guys! :smile.:

@ Eldrick Shadowblade: Oh, that bronze recipe is really easy:

- black undercoat

- basecoat: Vallejo Tinny Tin

- wash liberally with Army Painter Strong Tone (or GW Agrax Earthshade)

- drybrush with GW Dwarf Bronze

- (optionally) add depper shadows with a mix of Army Painter Strong Tone and Vallejo Smoky Ink

Hope this helps! :smile.:

@ recon0321: I am pretty sure that a more detailed look at the conversion process can be found earlier in this thread, mate, but the conversion is based on the idea of basically adding suitable armour plates to the Kastelan to make it look more chaotic. Besides that, the only fundamental changes I have made to the stock were to exchange the head, switch in a new right hand (from the Dreadknight kit) and lenghtening the arms and stomach section a bit.

@ rednekkboss: Haha, I thought you might like those models, as they seem to share a bit of the crazy, imaginative spark that is at the heart of so many of your own conversions :wink:

In other news, this is hardly playing it safe, but with six weeks to go, I just cannot resists the temptation, so here goes:

For the glory of He who hunts at the head of the pack and in order to atone for previous failures, I, KrautScientist, supreme overlord of Khorne's Eternal Hunt, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete the following unit from Codex Khorne Daemonkin on or before August 15th, 2016:

• 1 Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury: 250 pts.

Success will bring eternal glory to the World Eaters' 4th assault company and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

Before picture:

etl-v-bloodthirster-wip.jpg

As usual, wish me luck! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Cheers, guys! :smile.:

I have owned that Bloodthirster for quite a while now, and it is one of the models I really want to see finished. In fact, both the Skulltaker and Daemon Prince painted for the ETL, in addition to being fun models in their own rights, were intended as a test run for the big guy to some extent. So it ultimately felt appropriate to throw him in as well -- heck, if all else fails, I will end up with at least a partially painted Bloodthirster at the end of the event, right?

That being said, I have made some pretty good progress with the skin since yesterday:

etl-v-bloodthirster-pip-3.jpg

etl-v-bloodthirster-pip-1.jpg

Duncan Rhodes' painting tutorial saved the day once again: It already worked really well on the two previous models, but it's just fantastic when used on the model it was actually intended for :wink: The skin is basically finished at this point, and while it's not quite as orange as it seems in the pictures, what you can see is the amount of depth and variation to the skin.

I also felt the need to reward myself for painting the entire skin in a single day, so I indulged myself and finished the face:

etl-v-bloodthirster-pip-2.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

I'm really digging the skin. It almost seems like a shame to cover it all up with the armour.

If you do another Bloodthirster though, I'd love to see you do it with a really pale skin colour, like that one version of the Forge World model.

In any case, good luck with the ETL!