Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

@ Pyroclast91 & Andvarr A: Cheers, guys! :smile.:

@ Biohazard: Ah, is it any wonder that the Blod God's Chosen Sons should think alike? :wink: Seriously, though: I do think we have a similar outlook and aesthetic preferences regarding Khornate miniatures, and there's also the fact that taking cues from the artwork, for instance, will result in similar decisions: That Ultramarine, for intsance, was a shout out to the Alex Boyd illustration, as was the look and angle of the axe. And I just had to include that ogre gut plate somewhere, of course :wink: It goes without saying that I am really looking forward to seeing your version, buddy!

@ Teetengee: I cannot tell you which specific kit this particular hand came from, but both the power armoured Grey Knights and the Sanguinary Guard kits feature hands like this. There's also one in the Sternguard kit, IIRC.

@ Mechanist: First of all, mate, I really owe your for the idea of using a comb to create cables without having to purchase a dedicated tentacle maker! Brilliant! As for his mane, I am already pretty happy with the way it looks, to be honest. I might add a cable or two, and definitely some chains and skulls here and there, but the overall look seems sound to me.

So here's another update: Behold the Lord of the 12th Legion, in all his mocked-up glory:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/7/13/813425-Angron%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Primarch%2C%20Daemon%20Prince.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/7/13/813426-Angron%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Primarch%2C%20Daemon%20Prince.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/7/13/813427-Angron%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Primarch%2C%20Daemon%20Prince.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/7/13/813428-Angron%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Primarch%2C%20Daemon%20Prince.JPG

There's still quite a bit of detail and cleanup work left to be done, but the photos show you the amount and placement of armour I am planning for the model, as well as how it all goes together when the wings are in place.

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/7/13/813429-Angron%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Daemon%20Primarch%2C%20Daemon%20Prince.JPG

Edited by KrautScientist

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :smile.:

@ Nemac Vradon: Oh yeah, I definitely want to incorporate some skulls and chains. However, this will be one of the areas where I am going to deviate from the artwork, as the skulls, chains and cables just seem to merge into this huge cape, cascading down Angron's back, and that's not the look I am going for. But yes, you can expect some chains and skulls to show up.

@ Noctus Cornix: Dang, I knew I had seen that idea with the Marine somewhere else and liked it :wink: In fact, your Bloodthirster conversion was the first one I saw to actually suggest that it might be possible to go for slightly more elaborate conversions on what is ultimately a pretty limiting model. I even cited it as an influence on my blog repeatedly (here, for instance). That being said, and please don't take this the wrong way, it's a shame you only ever comment on this thread to point out resemblances like that -- I'd appreciate more of your feedback, even in those cases where I am not stealing your ideas :wink:

Edited by KrautScientist

I have to say, that is one of the best "dead/dismembered Marine" conversions I've seen in a while. Most Marine corpses I've seen tend to either overdo it on the gore/entrails front, or they're awkwardly posed or worse still, converted from a snap-fit Marine (ugh!). You've got it done perfectly IMO.

There are several reasons for going this route: I wasn't able to find a suitably impressive Black Blade, for one. And since Biohazard will definitely give his Angron conversion a sword, there was little use in trying to ne-up him. I also really, really liked how the axe in Alex Boyd's illustration above is basically a daemonic version of the huge axe that appears in much of the old Horus Heresy artwork of Angron (eagle wing ornament and all), and I definitely wanted to emulate that look! Plus this finally gave me a good excuse to play around with that huge axe a bit :wink:

Anyway, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Hello, do likeyour primarch prince so far. Have you thought about giving him Nagash´s sword?

About the linked picture: He looks pretty impressive, but in a way it´s very much a recreation of the artwork from the page before.

What I miss on this mini are some details which connect him more to his past. You already gave him an ogre belly-plate as a belt-buckle, quite a nice and simple idea.

Maybe you can add some more accesoires/ insignia in the future, like broken chains for example (there is an episode, at some point of time in the Heresy where Angron breaks apart a bunch of big chains on an anvil with his hands and throws them down into  a crowd of his world eaters who then in turn brawl about them, quite a nice illustration of his nature I think).

Or maybe a coat depicting scenes of his lifes, you could paint them maybe on his wings as well.

Or bones of his fallen gladiator comrades.

What do you got in mind for him? Hope you like some of my ideas. :smile.:

Greetings, Velype

P.S.:

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Velype/profile/

Saw this while browsing cool mini or not. never noticed that FW Angron has a khorne berserker- like saber/combat knifev (It`s an original part, though quite dificult to see on the forge world site, kind of hidden under his coat).

Maybe you would like to recreate Word Eater/ Khorne Berserker charasteristics on a larger scale, too.

Don`t know if anything of this is useful, actually... Maybe you find some of this helpful.

P.P.S.:

Sorry for not posting a proper picture, just made my photobucket account, you will get to it, then you click it.

Edited by LordVelype

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :)

@ Squigsquasher: Thanks! I am reasonably happy with the Marine, although I have to confess that there will be some gore (and maybe some gust) in his future ;) I'll be keeping things fairly subtle, though, as I am not a fan of huge amounts of dangling intestines... o_O

@ Lord Velype: Thanks for the ideas! I did actually consider Nagash's sword, and it was the best available option for a sword -- but ultimately, it just didn't seem massive enough for what I had in mind, plus I also really liked the idea of featuring a daemonic version of that axe that appears in so many pieces of old Horus Heresy artwork.

There are also more callbacks to his mortal form than migght be initially obvious: I've chosen the breastplate variant that resembles the armour of the Forgeworld model -- in fact, his entire armour is basically supposed to look like a daemonic version of the armour he wore before his ascension, and I'll try to underline this by painting it in a similar way across both versions of the character. The axe is a shout out to several pieces of artwork, like I said. I'll definitely be adding some chains to him, though.

I do know the combat knife from the FW model, as I own the miniature, but the idea of a Daemon Prince keeping a backup weapon seems slightly silly to me, to be honest ;)

I personally haven't thought about modelling Angron, but if I would be to do it, I would definitely take your approach. The miniature itself gives all the details needed to recreate Angron.

One or two points though, that I would (and I'm not the one who's doing the conversion, not by any mean, but still) work on: 1 - shorten his neck a bit and 2 - add more armor, making him resemble a marine a bit more. But that's just my own humble opinion. Your work is really nice.

Thanks, man! I have to say I spent a lot of time thinking about how llong his neck needs to be, though: There needs to be enough room to accomodate all of th cabling and the crest behind his head. The neck needs to move his head above the gorget of his breastplate. Plus in "The Emperor's Gift", Daemon Primarch Angron's head is described as "saurian" in appearance, so I thought a slightly elongated look was the way to go.

As for the armour, there will be more detail and quite a few trophies, I believe, but nothing to really make him resemble a Marine because that's not what he used to be -- and as a Primarch, Angron's armour was far more form-fitting than that worn by standard Astartes.

Hey buddy! Did you get my pm? I'd like to post your dudesman tomorrow. Check your inbox :D

Angron is looking sick btw, I felt the same about the length of the neck, but after hearing your reasoning I'm now convinced he looks perfect. Absolutely brutal!

At first I was thinking the Neck seemed odd and too long hence asking about bulking out with a mane and more cables, however with the wings on the balance is much better and works nicely.

Edit, 

Glad my jury rigged tentacle makers helped you out. 

Edited by Mechanist

Thanks a lot, everyone! :smile.:

Cleanup work on the Angron conversion continues, and I guess I'll have more pictures to share with you once the skulls and chains have been sorted out. One thing I feel I want to point out is that, while this may seem like a spur-of-the-moment kind of idea, I have actually been planning this for at least half a year, so an almost ridiculous amount of thought has gone into some areas of the conversion. The shoulder pads are a great example of this, as no single Daemon Primarch Angron conversion seems to get that part right, not even the best ones. Instead of trying (and failing) to sculpt those from GS, it was clear to me that I would have to find suitable bitz for it, and after only drawing blanks, I remembered two shields that Auggie had sent me a while ago. Now these might not perfectly emulate the look of the pauldrons in the art, but they are close enough in general design and also nicely detailed, so I think they work really well.

On a semi-related note, the success with my Angron conversion has also managed to rattle something loose elsewhere, so I have finally managed to mostly finalise the build for my second "Thamier-pattern" Obliterator:

2nd-thamier-pattern-obliterator-wip-1.jp

2nd-thamier-pattern-obliterator-wip-2.jp

I've had the pieces for this guy sitting on my desk for an age, but I just couldn't seem to figure out the precise look for the model. But I really like the setup I have now, and I am sure he is going to look awesome, next to his buddy here, with a few more tweaks and with some paint on him :wink:

2nd-thamier-pattern-obliterator-wip-3.jp

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Yay! My khorne care package was useful!

I've missed quite a bit since my last comment (which you, in very stereotype confirming seriousness, didn't seem to appreciate. ;) ). In any case, you more than made up for your lack of appreciation for the old tongue in cheek with this VERY AWE INSPIRING conversion. Yes it's heavily inspired by work others have done before you, but you took the best of all that stuff, combined it and improved upon it, so that it is now more than the sum of its parts.

Couple questions (and mind you I'm not too familiar with the artwork you refer to most of the time) will you do something about his fore head - like a khornate symbol or something? Will his legs get more primarch like armour? Will there be blood made up of stringy UHU glue coming from the marine?