The Renascibilitas Crusade [Redemptor WIP]

Marshal Mattias

600pt Canpaign Background

++++++++++++++++++++

The troubled world of Garian's Lament... Once a verdant Eldar maiden-world, it was abandoned after the Fall and the Imperium founded a doomed colony for the Adeptus Mechanicus. Engulfed in a raging warp-storm for hundreds of years, few now know what is left of the colonies, or the valuable technology and relics left behind. Reports of Xenos and Traitor interest in the dying world has forced High Marshal Helbrecht to task a trusted Marshal to ensure the Enemy gain no advantage here.

Acting-Marshal Guillame Robért of the Renascibilitas Crusade is closest, and heeds the call of his Liege-Lord. Upon closer inspection, it becomes apparent that the world has become a battleground for a smattering of renegades and heretics, and an abundance of Filth. Relics of a number of Titan Legions appear in what records remain. In honour of those who fought alongside the Templars at Armageddon, it is decided that rather than simply obliterate the planet, a message must be sent. This message is broadcast across every remaining vox-network on the planet. Casters which have sat silent for hundreds of years crackle into life and bark a stark warning across every surface of the planet. In silent wastes, in dead cities, and echoing over the sounds of battle, the same message is heard by all:

"The Black Templars are here.

In the name of Sigismund, this tainted world and all upon it will burn in our cleansing wrath.

Imperator Vult."

This splinter crusade is declared to scour the planet clean, and it is unanimously decided that Reclusiarch Mortshtekk is the optimum candidate to lead his brothers in this sacred duty.

A small number of Intiates are chosen to lead their more promising Neophytes into battle at his side, taking an ancient landraider as their transport. A small unit of Neophytes are also sent to operate independently and direct their brethren; this will be their final challenge to earn their tabards and join the initiates ranks.

So begins the Crusade of Garian's Lament.

First planetfall saw the Templars quickly come into contact with a contingent of Astartes who had ignored the warning to leave the world. Their heavy use of mechanical augmentations suggested links to the mechanicum, but they were busy plundering what they could from the ruined factories. This heretic behaviour was not to go unpunished, and the two sides clashed fiercely, as already reported. By the time the shells stopped flying, both sides had suffered casualties and were forced to consolidate. However, the enemy had been prevented from acquiring the Legio relics before they had disappeared into the night.

The next batch of renegades would not be so lucky...

Pictures will be in tonight ;)

++++++++++++++++++++

With wounds patched and damage repaired, the Garian's Crusade brothers moved out. Arriving at the heart of a warehouse district, the registered multiple readings which could be sites of interest. However, they were not the first arrivals. Another batch of Astartes in grey metal armour, sporting skull motifs on their shoulder pads, stalked towards the central warehouses. Alreay enraged at their arrogance, Reclusiarch Mortshtekk was driven into a zealous fury when he spotted the blue-armoured witch at the front of the group. His power-armoured fist banged twice against the driver's hatch. The engine roared and they hurtled through the gates of the compound.

++++++++++++++++++++

Templars: LRC with MM and HKiller, 5/3 crusader squad, with Power Swords and Meltagun/bombs. Led by Chaplain.

5 Neophytes with cloaks and rifles.

Enemy: ML2 Librarian with melta bombs, 10 Tac-squad with PFist, Melta and Multimelta.

6 Snipers. Whirlwind. Storm Talon.

Templars are really Zealed up and choose to deploy first and take first turn. LRC deploys as far forward as possible, towards left flank, obscured by building. Neophyte observers bravely infiltrate forward unsupported on the right flank, occupying two floors of a ruined building and claiming Objective 1.

Enemy scouts infiltrate into central building, claiming Objective 4. Tacs decide to combat-squad. MM and 4 Bolters deploy in dangerous terrain with 5+ invuln. Rest deploy with librarian behind the building occupied by their scouts. Whirlwind hides as far back as possible, opposite side to LR. Inside a ruin, he is heavily obscured.

Turn 1 -Templars

LR guns it, moving 12" up the street and holding next to Objective 3. Lets rip with assault cannons at MM combat squad, killing the MM and one bolter marine. Opponent curses his forgetfulness at placing MM too far to the front. Neophytes hold, and fire on the other combat squad where just one marine and the librarian are visible, hoping for a cheeky wound. Manage to pick off one marine, but the librarian is unscathed. No objective cards completed.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/BB9A0C23-2C60-4025-9E46-C19A2D2B265A_zps8urrqcoy.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/C6AF74C3-7685-44D2-8E12-BEDB33B34355_zpslyrmxqa2.jpg

Turn 1 - Enemy

Librarian squad moves up alongside the scouts building. Scouts fail to get a couple of their buddies upstairs with them. Everything else holds.

Witch manifests two powers auccesfully, reducing leadership of Neophyte squad and using dominate power to force leadership tests on my next turn to perform all actions. Snipers and Bolters fail to penetrate the cover save of the Neophytes. Whirlwind scatters wildly, missing the Neophytes building. Enemy earns a point from Objective 6, held by Whirlwind.

(Sneaky hiding whirlwind)

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/133C73D7-2886-434C-BA5A-495CDDE6E9E1_zpssbuwsdvu.jpg

Turn 2 - Templar

Landraider moves 12" again, firing on the marines on Objective 2 with the invuln once more. Claims another victim. Neophytes fail their leadership to shoot at the snipers, and fall back. Now they are spread between middle and ground floors.

Turn 2 - Enemy

Talon arrives, moving 36" to line up shooting at Neophytes. Good shooting from Talon makes up for more misses from Whirlwind and snipers, totalling 3 neophyte deaths. Neophytes fail leadership check (due to previous psychic attack) and fall back into the open ground.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/9A501FD6-EF2A-4501-A588-2D675522D739_zps0midzq68.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/6F60ADDF-9A49-4E1C-923B-CE4F93B8266F_zpsnga9y0xo.jpg

Librarian squad moves to shoot at the LR, again succeeding in casting dominate on the vehicle. Meltagun fails to scratch the behemoth. Librarian squad makes the charge and throws 3 power fists and a melta bomb into the armoured might of the Templars, which much like their Primarch, holds firm, undamaged.

Enemy claims a point from forcing a failed leadership test.

Turn 3 - Templars

Neophyte survivors regroup and sprint back into ground floor cover. They are out of LOS from any enemy units now.

The LRC pivots a little to bring its guns to bear, also allowing the embarked unit to exit the front.

The guns tear apart the remaining marines on Objective 2, leaving it unsecured. The hunter killer is machine-spirited into the side armour of the obscured whirlwind, but fails to damage it.

The Crusader squad fires on the librarian's unit, killing one marine. Then, they charge from point-blank, losing one unfortunate neophyte to overwatch. The desire to challenge is strong, despite the enemy having an objective to kill a character. The sword brother declares and is answered by the witch. Despite his charge and re-rolls, he only scores two wounds, one of which the enemy is able to save. Likewise, the librarian scores a wound with his force sword, wining the challenge and scoring a point. :(

However, the zealous squad cuts the enemy unit down to a man, losing only one more neophyte, and proceeds to butcher the witch in retaliation. Once again, combat is over before the chaplain even gets to swing :/

The unit consolidates within 3" inches of Objective 2. This scores a VP, along with wiping a unit out in assault. I also score for first blood, warlord, and possibly one more for something else...

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/D14CB4DC-ABAD-4AF6-88C4-EFCC03A11326_zpsvabaxhkl.jpg

Turn 3 - Enemy

The talon enters hover behind a building, and joins the snipers in bringing their guns round to fire at the crusader squad, and a lucky precision shot this time wounds the Chaplain through his rosarius. Two initiates fall to the barrage of assault cannon and missile fire. The whirlwind has no target to fire at except the crusaders, and scores a direct hit... which one plucky initiate tanks, taking something like 6 armour saves successfully.

Turn 4 - Templars

The objective cards favour a quick dash, so the Neophytes clamber back up through the ruins to get within claiming distance of Objective 1.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/76994C19-A6B1-4342-B34C-99028EB1DDE6_zpsw06q1f6c.jpg

The Chaplain leads his crusaders on a quick sprint into the ruins over Objective 3, and the land raider rolls back 12" to claim Objective 5 and shoot at the hovering Talon, putting a hull point on it thanks to the assault cannons and a potent machine spiri, while also denying him the chance to claim that objective for a VP. ;)

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/2EE3F4B1-2AB2-467D-909F-3A75F64947EB_zpsqatc2a4h.jpg

The neophytes snap-fire some rounds and kill a scout in the central building: the designated Neophyte leader definitely earned his tabard with that shot!

The chaplain and his marines had a choice: sprint and complete their move into cover, or attempt to charge through the cover and assault the talon (requiring 11").

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/D42D3D55-8F54-4438-86A8-55EE3C930C93_zpss22bpt9w.jpg

I didn't think it was worth being stuck in the open for another turn, so used the crusader rule to get them all out of LOS from the snipers and in cover.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/DB112440-C4FB-4E0E-8707-8B847D2AC1EB_zps1mdgr049.jpg

All 3 objectives earned me a point and I had a D3 roll to claim too - this netted 2 more ;)

Turn 4 - Enemy

The Talon shifts just enough to get a shot at the Chaplain's unit, which it then pounds relentlessly. A few disappointing saves later, and my crusader squad and their chaplain are all left incapacitated, buried beneath the rubble of the building which they had sought to shelter under.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/6E182AC6-1595-4ADF-B028-804C71F8928D_zpshysiasx4.jpg

The enemy snipers attempt another barrage at my Neophytes, but they shrug it off. The whirlwind only scatters 2 inches, but it is just enough that the shell misses the narrow walkway and impacts on the floor below. Phew!

Turn 5 - Templars

The machine spirit of the landraider can hardly be contained as it roars its fury at the buzzing talon which buried its brothers.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/7A3AB8E9-EA59-487F-99FC-C92821FF4569_zpsilgzn3yq.jpg

Firing everything, the talon is hit with two penetrating and one glancing hit, and fails to roll with the impact, crashing to the ground.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/0D5E30DC-391F-4BB8-B26B-1E2D558F5D7F_zps2dkitckp.jpg

This nets the 'big game hunter' objective, while denying the enemy a chance at their own. The Neophytes hunker down to weather out a final turn of shooting, holding Objective 1 still.

Turn 5 - Enemy

With the Talon wrecked, leaderless and with no support, the scouts spitefully join the whirlwind in firing at the Neophyte squad before they limp away in retreat, but their spirits are weak and lack Zeal, none of the shots find a mark.

Endgame: Templars 12, Enemy 8.

For Dorn!

++++++++++++++++++++

Silence.

Brother Pierre clambered from the top hatch of his charge and walked towards the smoking rubble. The blips on his scanner showed the neophytes to the east, two moving hastily to the weakening life signs of their comrades.

Pierre bowed his head in reverence to his fallen leader, dropping to one knee while reciting the proper rites.

With a grinding of stone, a large slab was lifted from the pile, as Reclusiarch Mortshtekk grunted with the effort of shifting the monstrous object from his shoulders. It crashed to the ground and shattered, Pierre's scanner already showing multiple life flickers from his aching, but living brothers in the space beyond.

Pierre smiled behind his visor as he extended a hand to his lord, who gladly clasped it as he climbed from the ruins.

"I should have known better, Reclusiarch."

"The Emperor protects, brother."

++++++++++++++++++++

Edited by Marshall Mattias

So, this 600pt list is performing well so far, but I do tend to leave my poor crusaders exposed by going for the early charge. Unfortunately, these 'maelstrom' missions really require me to get the LRC moving independently, otherwise I cannot get hold of enough objectives...

Also, my chaplain is so far proving valuable as a buff-monster, but has yet to actually power fist anything. Also, I don't like having such a vulnerable HQ, but at 600pts I suppose it is a cross we all have to bear.

Any tips on keeping my crusader squad alive?

Nice win, and a great game. 

The Chaplain at low pts is actually ideal, as he buffs a unit, of which we generally have little at such low pts, and he's cheap, so it's a pretty good deal, especially if he's joined a squad (which he always does.)

Now for keeping them alive...That's hard, as they'll be a target every time, as scoring units always are. I don't think you did anything wrong, you went for cover when making the charge proved unlikely, so I put it down to a spot of bad luck. The only thing I can recommend is to target nasty stuff that really wreck the Crusaders, such as Talons, Vindicators, Battle Tanks, etc..Anything that ignores armor and/or can hit a lot of guys, spam is just as dangerous (ie; Wyvern).

It's always a toss-up between "do I try to keep my own Scoring unit alive, or do I kill of their Scoring Units?". You can only really answer that question at the exact moment, and pray you made the right choice (which, being a Templar means you'll always make the right choice. :wink: )

A good example is what you did in the above game: 

-Your Crusaders went for cover, which prompted the Talon to hover on the spot to kill them off. Then your LRC kills it, and you get a VP! A good choice if you ask me. :happy.:

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I managed to do alright, although part of me wonders if perhaps I should have gone for a charge at the scouts instead... They were a closer target, albeit one upstairs. The distance was still shorter though, and had I made the charge then I could have benefited from only a few making it far enough to lock in combat, but protecting my unit from shooting. Still, puny scouts would probably have been wiped out on the charge anyway ;)

Yes, I think that taking out the enemy scoring units was worth the risk of exposing the unit to return fire. Also it removed the psyker who could have easily killed off my remaining units by himself. Anyway, I don't feel so bad about losing the crusaders now ;)

My version of Grimaldus as a WIP:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/9373AFE3-152B-4005-AB18-2462377CA59C_zpsy729p8ig.jpg

He is being painted as I see him in the Helsreach novel. So far he is mostly just some base coats and washes, with a little first-go at some edge highlights. He still needs a lot of tidying-up, but I tend to do that at the end. Not sure what to do with his pistol, it seems too much like a block of colour. I don't want to use my traditional boltgun metal, I want only the chains and skull mask to look that way. Also had a go at painting a little 'texture' into the shaft of the Crozius. I was hoping to produce a vaguely marble/enamelled look, like some sort of ornate sceptre perhaps. I can't cope with that sort of detail so it is more meant to 'suggest' it. Still, I'm pleased as I feel I progressed pretty well today. That bit closer to finishing vow 2!

Looking good!  (But then again, doesn't Grimmy always look good? :wink:)

Seriously though, great work. I like how you did the handle of the Crozius. :thumbsup:

Edited by Andhil

The Crozius handle looks great. 'Suggesting' details is often the best way to go I think. At this scale distance the details would mostly not be visible at all, so all we need to do is hint at them and let imagination fill in the rest.

For the pistol, I think plasma weapons look best with a white muzzle. Maybe it's a special ceramic stuff to resist the heat or something. You could also go with a black or red color for the casing and just do trim details in metallic colors

Edited by Golf33

From the 40k wikia:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120707025712/warhammer40k/images/thumb/7/7e/Plasma_Pistol_color.jpg/480px-Plasma_Pistol_color.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Garian's Splinter-Crusade continues!

The campaign has so far seen the forces of 'Smash' triumphing over 'Grab' for two consecutive weeks. However, after hearing that during my holid- (I mean, Crusade, to Finland), the Grab forces built a 3-win lead for this week, Chaplain Mortshtekk was furious! So much so, that he upgraded his armour and Crozius to the 'Grimaldus' pattern and let loose the litanies of war! (I busted out my nearly-finished Grimmy as a regular chaplain :P)

One of my regular opponents had challenged me with his new Dark Eldar list, which was pretty nasty for a 600 point game! It had Baron whatsisname on a goblin glider, accompanied by a unit of scourges with a couple of heat lances, as well as 2 venoms with 5-man wych squads, all tooled up with nasty CC gadgets, with a scary number of splinter cannon shots coming from his invuln-saving Venoms! My tweaked list had the chaplain drop his power fist, as well as the SB drop his melta bombs. The Meltagun was traded for a flamer, and an extra Neophyte with a Hellfire-pattern Heavy Bolter was added to the support unit.

Due to my campaign successes so far, my forces were pushing the advance and could force a re-roll for the deployment roll-off. This turned out not to be needed, and I elected to take first turn (as my deployment consisted exclusively of holding a landraider while uhm-ing and ah-ing before plonking it down and going 'done.') The land raider played it cautiously, sitting fairly centrally and towards the back of the zone. The six objectives were scattered and assigned random VP values (the scouring I think). I already knew that I couldn't win by playing to hold objectives - divided, my forces would fall quickly and could not match his manoeuvrability. He put his HQ and scourges centrally behind a large building, and his Venoms wide on each flank as far forward as possible, relying on their 6-inch range-reduction effect and saving throws.

I infiltrated the scouts forwards and to the right to sit upstairs in cover on a 3-point objective, then the game began with the Templars retaining the initiative.

The LRC rolled up 6", and launched the HK missile at a the Venom, but was out of range of everything else. The neophyte shooting wasn't very helpful (we mistakenly thought that 'Str X' in the codex meant they couldn't glance the Venoms, when in fact the BRB puts them as str4 against vehicles). The enemy turn saw the HQ and escort leap into the top floor of a building, passing their terrain tests and armour saves, before firing their lances at the 'raider, failing to scratch it. The transports moved up the flanks, with shooting from one venom scoring ten hits but only one wound on the neophytes! I don't remember precisely what turn everything happened in, but roughly:

The LRC moved up again, letting rip along with the Neos. Shooting wrecked the venom in front of the neophytes, and put a point on the other. The Wyches are pinned on exiting the wreck so disembark into cover. The other Venom has now jinked as well.

The Chaplain decides to be decisive and leads his unit forth from the LRC, requiring a 10-inch charge roll to make it upstairs thrpugh cover to the scourge unit and his HQ. Boom, 11" of Zeal, baby! One neophyte falls to overwatch. The Xenos Baron is challenged by the Chaplain, who shrugs off the enemy's clumsy blows. The chaplain responds with four hits and four wounds, which are all saved by the arcane technology of a 2+ invulnerable save. The scourges manage a single wound which fells a second neophyte, before the unit batters them down to a single heat-lance warrior. The enemy fail their morale check and flee down and out of the building, outpacing the Templars. The Wyches stay hidden in cover, firing pistols at the crusaders but hitting nothing. The neophytes fail to cause any further damage for the rest of the game :/

The crusaders consolidate back towards their transport, taking a large number of shots from the Venom, losing the last neophyte from their squad. The enemy HQ recovers and moves up to get a shot at the crusaders again, but he and the scourge separate so it can get a line on the LRC...only to find he's at 10" and out of Melta range, so he pot-shots at the crusaders, missing them regardless. The baron charges solo at the crusader squad, declaring a challenge. The Sword Brother is the closest, but denies the challenge from the puny Xenos as an opponent far beneath his skills. The rest of the squad laugh as the Eldar fails to make his attacks count, then batter him from all sides, causing no less than nine wounds, all of which he inexplicably saves AGAIN. He uses his hit'n'run ability to flee the combat towards the space between the cowering Wyches and the neophytes on their objective. The LRC is sat claiming the central exposed objective worth 4VP, and pivots to blast the remaining Venom to the ground, where the second group of Wyches also suffer a pinning result. The crusaders charge the last scourge who fails to hit anything and the chaplain smushes him immediately. Consolidation puts them back into a 3VP building.

At this point, the enemy concedes, as his Wyches are unable to make a charge, and will be forced to deal with lots of AP4/5 shooting before getting to try and hurt anything. Thankfully they never got in close enough to use their Haywires! Also, none of them are actually on any objectives and I have 'objective secured' units on all 3 of the most valuable. Maybe lucky, maybe not, but a satisfying win for the Templars against an opponent who was very sure he had a quick victory in the bag before the game started!

Also had a new opponent arrive who wanted a game, and he was going to play Guard, and I've never played them before so I was very excited! He had watched my game against the Dark Eldar, so had a good idea what he was going up against. He ran a full infantry list, with one squad of three missile teams, one of three mortars, three squads with plasma and autocannon/heavy bolter options and one command squad with meltaguns. It was a good list for moving up and controlling as many objectives as possible, with that many bodies I wasn't sure I could kill enough off to win on points! Then I counted up how many of those weapons could actually hurt the LR, and it wasn't many :/

He made me deploy first, so I hid the LRC behind cover. Turned out he was quite a new player, so I deliberately played a little 'recklessly' to give him a fighting chance. His missile batteries failed to damage the land raider, but his mortars killed the heavy bolter neophyte at the top of the tallest building where they had infiltrated onto an objective.

Moving up 12", I was going to fire everything at one of his plasma/autocannon units (as they couldn't do anything really and I didn't want to steam-roller him) but he seemed surprised that I wasn't firing on the missile team... I feigned forgetfulness and thanked him, so fired on the missile teams instead... killing all of them :/

The neophytes finally hit and killed something, claiming 3 guardsmen. His shooting saw his mortars kill 3 neophytes, forcing a retreat downstairs.

I gave him some advice to try and get his Melta command squad into ruins on an objective with one of his infantry units to cover them. This would force me to bring the LRC in close and give him a chance with his meltaguns. Another round of my shooting, another dead guard squad, with a sole survivor fleeing backwards...onto a four point objective! His number 3 infantry squad moved up my right flank to try and reach another objective with line of sight to my now-hidden neophytes.

My Neos stayed out of sight, and the LRC moved up to deploy the crusaders within. The machine spirit was feeling cheeky, and fired the hunter-killer at the single trooper they had driven past and left behind. He exploded most gratifyingly: Overkill! Everything else fired into the number 2 infantry unit in cover, killing a few more. The command squad was out of Melta range, but was unable to score any hull points.

My crusaders charged into the building, but I charged the infantry unit instead of the command squad. (I knew I was going to win the game but wanted to give the guy something to call a 'highlight'). The templars kill the infantry and consolidate to secure the objective in the building. The enemy command squad moves up and fires its meltas, scoring 1 pen and rolling a 5! He was super happy to blow up the land raider XD

His remaining infantry move into a ruin and claim the 2Vp inside, but can't kill the remaining 2 neophytes on my 'home' objective.

The crusaders charge the command squad and wipe them out, keeping their objective. The neophytes kill a guardsman in the ruins.

He rolls a 2 for continuing and the game ends now on turn 5.

I have FB, Warlord and 6 objective points, while he claims 2 points for the objective on the flank. A fun game! I love enemy units with only 5+ saves :P

We talk tactics afterwards, and the importance of spreading your anti-tank capabilities around a little bit! For example, if he had a little Melta of some kind in each squad, my LR would have been toast on turn 2 - there was just no way to stay clear of that many enemy units!

End result: 2 wins for my campaign, and hopefully someone else can pull a win out of the bag for Team Smash!

Cool games, congrats on the wins, especially on the DE. They can be really tough to play. :smile.:

I have a lot of respect for how you handled the IG player. We all know this game is a lot more fun when nobody gets steam-rolled. :thumbsup:

Land Raider Crusaders are awesome. My group is always happy when they kill one. But when reminded of the second one on the table......:devil:

Hehe, yeah, multi-raiders always makes your opponent look a little pensive. One guy in store was claiming that 600pts with a landraider was 'filthy.' I pointed out that I always and exclusively play Black Templars, and that since the campaign was announced I have been zealously spreading the word that I was going to squeeze a raider in. On top of that, I asked him what three units he would expect to see if he was playing a regular game against templars, and he grudgingly conceded "Crusaders, Chaplain, Landraider Crusader." Then, to really hammer it home, I pointed out my array of tank busting ability which I squeezed in to 600pts myself: multi-Melta, Melta gun, Melta bomb and power fist, all while retaining a crusade-load of anti-infantry.

That's the Litanies of Ownage right there ;)

+++incoming transmission+++

+++PDF requesting reinforcements against renegade Fenrisian Astartes, suspected traitor-corruption.++++

+++request granted, authorisation Acting Marshal Robért+++

At present, only a small force are in the area to reinforce local Astra Militarum units against an assault from feral aggressors. A single Castellan has gathered 10 of his brothers and embarked upon their Thunderhawk transport, with honoured brother Ludovic, Ironclad designation. They prepare for orbital insertion, drop pods are ready and waiting.

The PDF platoon form ranks and gather in the outskirts of the city, just as the marauding traitors appear over the crest of the nearby hills. The Astartes are supported by two units of black-uniformed stormtroopers and led by an unknown individual in the uniform of a Commissar. Their long fangs take position on the hills to the east and west, with their tactical units in support. The frenzied blood claws are flanked by the stormtroopers, but prepare to charge straight down the centre towards the guard lines.

Let battle commence!

The wolves have initiative, and the claws move forward unsupported. The bulk of his lines stay back, hoping to draw us out.

The guardsmen have a reasonable round of shooting with heavy weapon teams, causing a few casualties. Some repositioning takes place.

The templars are having none of this half-hearted nonsense and come hurtling to earth. The pods land a little off-target, but the ironclad still manages to disembark next to the long fangs packing the las cannons and missile launchers. He lets rip and incinerates four of them, causing the fifth to flee off the table! Good start ;)

The crusaders, led by a captain with Primarch's wrath, disembark by the 10-man tactical in front of the vanquished long fangs. They kill a couple through shooting. The Deathwind launchers on the drop pods kill a couple more marines and stormtroopers.

The enemy squad charges the crusaders, losing one to overwatch. The Captain challenges the pack leader, and cuts him down before be gets to strike. The templars win the combat, but are now stuck in a tar-pit of marines boshing other marines over the head :P

Blood claws advance and make a 10" charge into the furthest forward guard squad. They lose 8 guardsmen in the assault and only two manage to flee. However, this leaves the wolves open to a withering storm of return fire, as two cunningly deployed Melta squads hop out of cover and catch the blood claws in a deadly crossfire. The Guard commander remembers to use his Orders and attempts to pin the survivors in order to finish them off next turn. Apparently, you can't pin a wolf! The four of them scamper to their right, putting cover between them and most of the guard units.

Across the table, the wolves run their entire left flank towards the centre of their lines in response to our total denial of that flank. (They were the only models on the entire 24" end of the table. We let them 'run' 24" and reduced our 6'x4' to a 4'x4' so the store manager could fit another table on the end and get a second game going!) This gives him a chance of bringing his plasma cannons to bear later on.

A storm-trooper unit moves up to krak-grenade a drop pod to death, not wishing to face the wrath of the Deathwind launcher again. They are preparing to join the wolves in the assault against the small crusader unit and the Castellan. (The wolves lost the combat and so far, no templars have fallen!)

The Castellan calls his second crusader squad in close to his position, the pod landing beautifully to cut-off the stormtroopers from reaching the combat. The crusaders disembark the other side, ready to support their brothers next turn. The ironclad senses an opportunity, moving quickly to catch the 'troopers in his flamers. He scores 9 hits, 9 wounds, and the unit is left with a single survivor, who helpfully flees backwards, putting him in range for the dread to charge in and finish him off. If you're keeping score at home, that's two turns and two units wiped by our honoured brother!

Back at the guard lines, his missile teams have been doing well, eliminating several marines with krak, and his mortars score three direct hits, taking more casualties from the mass of bodies that have begun gathering in the centre.

The blood claws make a second charge and hit the next squad hard - despite losing one to overwatch. The guardsmen manage to overpower one enemy before they are routed and attempt to flee, but are cut-down by the two surviving (and thoroughly enraged) blood claws.

The re-deployed long fangs fire their plasma cannons and Multimelta at the ironclad, but fail to scratch him. The tar-pit combat continues as my initiate with the power sword consistently fails to wound anyone. I start to wish I had skipped a Deathwind launcher and given my Castellan a power-sword :P

The wolves worryingly take out three initiates as I fail all my saves. The Castellan inspires them to hold, and their newly-arrived brothers charge into the fray, cutting down a few wolves in response. The odds have shifted in my favour in this combat now.

Mid-table, and the dread burns a couple of marines, then charges the pitiful remainder of the squad, with te attached commissar. The honoured brother is enraged, and all four of his attacks find their marks, wiping out his third squad! (He had a little help from earlier shooting with this one though, and the commissar was only still alive thanks to a wolf pushing him aside to take a krak missile to the face! Bet you never thought that would happen :P)

With their lines cleared, the guardsmen push up the right flank, and eliminate the second storm-trooper unit who are fleeing the incoming ironclad. Their shooting round is incredible, and the only survivor fled back towards the last tac+long fang units, only to be caught in the mortar barrage that began to rain down on them there.

The combat on the other side continues, but only with the loss of a couple more wolves and a sole templar. This attrition-battle is nearing its end. Sadly, the ironclad is badly positioned by me, as I fail to spot that one of the long fangs is sporting a rather lovely multi-melta...and have left him within 11 and 3/4" range... D'oh. The MM does exactly as you would expect and ends his armoured rampage.

The enemy is down to 5 long fangs and 7 or 8 tac marines, plus a couple of stubborn fellows slowly being battered into the ground on the other flank. The guardsmen have only lost two 10-man squads, still possessing full heavy weapon teams, two 5-man Melta squads, a basic 10-man unit and the commander's squad. This is in large part to the massive headache the wolves were caused by the drop-podding warriors of the Emperor's finest, who have seen 5 of their kin fall in combat, and their Dreadnaught incapacitated. They are still following their Castellan who is unscathed, and also still have the fire support of two Deathwind Launcher pods. The Wolf player concedes as time is running out now, and he has ended up effectively trapped in the far corner, with only a small chance of gaining cover. The guard gun line can advance freely into cover, with greater range than the wolves, and it still has Templar support. It would be an ignoble and tedious end to the game, so with handshakes all round, my Guard Ally and I win the day!

++++

The guard player was the same chap I faced off against the other day at 600 points, running the same list (which came in at 675 I think. The wolf player had arrived with approx 1200 points for a game, so I threw together a teeny list last minute. I wouldn't have bothered going battle-forged had I realised they weren't playing objectives :/

I also doubt it would have fared so well had the enemy spent a few points on some meltaguns/bombs for his squads! Also, wiping out the only truly deadly long range unit in one swoop was quite fortunate. Four failed armour saves from 9 hits is quite unlucky for him!

I was pleased to see my ally had learned a few tricks, remembering his rapid fire, only moving his heavies when necessary, and using orders to control the flow of the battle! He'll be one to watch. Also, his guard are beautiful, several editions old and all-metal! Very cool.

For myself, I can definitely say with confidence: Ironclads are just plain awesome. I will definitely be purchasing a second one soon. Also, saving points on a squad is not worth skimping on power weapons. If I had shaved some points from Deathwind or assault launchers, I could have given a power weapon to the Castellan, and maybe added a sword brother with power weapon too. Then instead of getting held up all game, they would have wiped them out and moved on much quicker. The deathwinds were cool though, forced my opponent to engage the pod instead of my unit. I think they will be great for dropping directly onto objectives with 5-man flamer crusaders for my second-wave of pods. Psychological area-denial with large blasts ;) The 12" range means that while it provides nice first-turn horde support for a small squad (say, Melta-command or sternguard) it doesn't get more than a couple of shots off before they enemy outmanoeuvres it. Still, of you force someone's heavy weapons unit to redeploy, that costs them a turn of shooting - not bad for 15 points?

Every game is a learning experience!

Can't wait for the next one, and I enjoyed playing with an ally. Hope the next campaign might feature that in some way?

++++Datafile:Garian's Lament+++

++++As recorded by Reclusiarch Mortshtekk++++

The last few days of fighting have been hard, and left their mark on the brothers in my charge. Our initial clash with the scavengers following planetfall was just a brief taste of the chaos which would follow, and despite neither side claiming a prize worth the effort, at least the enemy and their Witch were thwarted. The Zeal was strong with my brothers, and our momentum carried us into the next battles with a fury which could not be denied. More Witches have been seen and eliminated, along with all our foes; be they lesser chapters scrabbling in the dirt, the filth of the Xenos or the traitorous remnants of the planet's defence forces, they all found the Emperor's Justice at the end of our swords. We are Templar, and all our foes on this planet already tremble at our approach. We will smash this world and its heretical vagrants, in the name of Sigismund, Dorn, and the Emperor, so I swear it.

Our pilot intercepted transmissions yesterday, which were of the highest interest to the Crusade command. A contingent of Astartes were attempting to establish a foothold outside of the ruined mining town which we had just cleansed. This was a direct challenge to our authority, but that alone did not warrant an immediate report to the fleet. The interest was in a unique identifier embedded in a coded signal... An identifier that was last detected during a titanic clash which left several brothers dead, and our then-Castellan Guillaume Robért in a critical condition, from which he barely recovered. That code belonged to a Witch, and no ordinary one at that - a foul creature wielding such power that he is surely more warp-spawn than Astartes now.

Mortshtekk was reading the scrolling lines of text intently.

The response from the fleet was short; only six words were needed to convey the message. It was a message that saw the Reclusiarch mirror his grinning helm:

"BURN THE WITCH, AT ALL COSTS."

++++++++++++++++

The enemy was entrenched in towering buildings, spotted by the Neophyte observers long before they detected us. A combat squad and the tell-tale silhouette of a Heavy Bolter.

Below them sat their armoured support, a Vindicator hidden among some crumbling ruins, and a Rhino bearing badges indicating a veteran sergeant and the rest of the squad, as well as a Librarium symbol.

"Target acquired."

The venerated Land Raider rumbled forward into the cover afforded by the same crumbling building the neophytes had scrambled up to gain a better vantage. Suddenly, the engines of the enemy rumbled and the rhino lurched forward. A demolisher shell hurtled through the air, crashing straight through the walls and detonating above the Templar tank. The entire machine seemed to lift clear of the ground and crash back down. Silence, broken only by the sound of Sword Brother Rikkon over the squad's vox-channel: "So much for their best shot..."

A keening engine was approaching from the east; a Landspeeder and a squad of scouts. "Is this intended to be a trap?" asked Brother Rikkon.

"Ignore it," was the reply from his Chaplain.

The bolter shells impacting into the building above did nothing to disturb the increasingly experienced neophytes. Just when that seemed to be all, a burst of witchfire lit up the floor above, and they heard roars of pain, followed by shouts as their brothers rushed to help their fallen kin.

Mortshtekk growled.

"Enough. Take us in."

The Raider burst through the wall of the building in a storm of brickwork and shrapnel, all guns blazing at the Vindicator ahead of them. The 'woosh' of a hunter-killer missile lifted their hearts as it spiralled into the ruins towards the target. It detonated gloriously, but the bulk of the blast was absorbed by the heavy buildings surrounding the enemy vehicle. No shots found a way through such thick defence. The uninjured neophytes peppered the distant heavy-weapon team with sniper rounds even as the remnants of the witchfire still licked at their armour, forcing the enemy to duck behind cover.

The rhino was still advancing, and the enemy squad clambered out, headed by the Witch who was wreathed in roaring warp energy. His very stature was increased, muscles and armour stretching and pulsing unnaturally. He bellowed like a monster possessed, with a strength unlike even an Astartes.

There was no time react however, as another cannon shell blasted apart the ground not more than a few feet from the landraider. Tracks skidding, the vehicle swung to a stop and the Templars leapt out into the ruins next to the Vindicator. Their Melta gunner failed to find his mark, as the landraider went flat-out to put its armoured bulk between them and the warp-boosted psyker. "We must deal with the tank, we cannot endure much more of this!"

The ruins proved a difficult traverse, the Templars struggled to fight their way through and were unable to pick up enough speed to charge before the enemy fired again!

The cannon found its mark, rocking the landraider which showed some signs of damage, but the crusaders were unscathed. The speeder swung around to fire at them, sending a neophyte at the back of the group tumbling back among the ruins.

The roar from the Witch was different this time...he was...pained? The freakish growth of his body was sustained, but he had clearly lost some control. The same eldritch fire he had cast before, now spun around his body, burning him, before dissipating. He wouldn't be calling on that boon of chaos any time soon! He ran forward, enraged, his weapon clashing against the hull of the great vehicle, as his sergeant hefted a melta-bomb at the tracks. The ancient vehicle shook with the force of the blows, but the damage was not enough to stop the spirit within.

"Now is our chance, brothers!"

Led by their Reclusiarch, the crusaders charged up the slope after the retreating Vindicator. The shot from their Meltagun hit it straight in the barrel, turning most of it to slag. The Reclusiarch reached it first, his power fist slamming straight through the armoured shell. He grunted, then wrenched free the ruined torso of the driver, as the vehicle died and burst into flames. "First blood to us, brothers! Now we find that Witch!"

Behind them, their landraider repositioned, blasting its armaments at the psyker's squad, but their armour was strong and they withstood the many blows against them.

The squad separated, heading left to pour shots into the templar advance, felling two of the squad's initiates. More shots came from the squad behind, and the two neophytes dropped. Reclusiarch Mortshtekk saw his brothers wounded and slowing, struggling against the side of their transport to try and avoid the withering fire coming their way. He glared at Rikkon and the two brothers still able to stand. "At any cost! No fear!"

The tactical marines paused, watching the smoke as it faded from around the shape of the landraider before them. Suddenly, a skull gleamed in the dying light, as the Reclusiarch leapt towards them. Their flamer kicked in, but served only to fuel the Templar's wrath, as Mortshtekk landed among them, weapons singing through the air.

The sergeant was revving his chainsword when he saw Rikkon, sword arm extended towards him, bellowing a challenge. They began to run towards each other, Rikkon picking up speed and twirling his sword lazily in his left hand, before ducking the clumsy blows of the veteran and driving his blade home to the hilt through his enemy's chestplate.

As he wrenched the blade free from the corpse, he looked up to see his Chaplain surrounded by the ruined remnants of the combat squad.

"What about the Witch?" he asked.

"It seems it was not the Emperor's will that he should meet judgment at our hands," replied Mortshtekk; "look."

The raging monstrosity had hurled himself at the landraider once more, landing half a dozen tremendously powerful blows on its armoured shell, yet he could not penetrate the hull. The forward sensor arrays were sparking, barely functional. The engine stalled briefly, struggling with the damage it was sustaining. Then, the hatch opened, and the pilot swing himself up and onto the manual controls of the multi-melta. The thick cables from his armour linked directly back into the heart of the machine. The spirit roared; it could see its aggressor again; now its prey.

The pilot moved in unison with his vehicle, the guns swivelling to point at heretic; the vox-casters barking out the ancient vows: "ABHOR THE WITCH! SUFFER NOT THE UNCLEAN TO LIVE!"

The assault cannons riddled the psyker with fist-sized holes, punching clear through his armour and out the other side as he burst into blinding white fire at the lancing touch of the multi-melta. Arcane energies sparked and burned the ground around him as his powers were wrought free from his feeble grip and cast back into the screaming dark.

It was a glorious sight, but one they could enjoy only briefly.

The crusaders closed ranks and hefted their shields against a torrent of fire from the rhino and scout-speeder, bolter rounds thudding into ceramite and the earth around them.

"The Emperor protects, brothers!"

The crusaders charged forward once more, smashing into the rhino, their grenades blowing holes in the armour as the Reclusiarch tore the tracks from the machine. The landraider turned its attention to the speeder now, swatting it from the sky with ease. Several of the passengers perished in the explosion, the rest scrambled up and stared into the face of Death and the Emperor's wrath.

"Let none escape our Light."

+++++++++++++++++++

It was a tough game, my opponent is skilled and he had a powerful list. I had rotten luck at first, unable to hit, wound or penetrate anything for a good two turns. However, the emperor smiled on me when his super-biomancy-buffed multi-strength-9 melee attacks and toughness 7 all failed to defeat glorious AV14 and the blessed combination of multimelta and rending assault cannons!

Also, it doesn't take many crusaders to survive in order to still wreck some face! 6-0 based on kill points, first blood and slay the warlord. However, mostly it was a win because I burned the ultimate Witch, Tiggy! Revenge is sweet ;)

The brothers of the Renascibilitas Crusade continue undefeated in their mission to cleanse the world of Garian's Lament!

The bloody aftermath:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/52EA6330-A403-4906-B5C3-98CAD90F5A3A_zpse1beojtu.jpg

RUN WITCH, RUN!

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/A4CBFC18-5586-4063-B7B7-AB593A201C61_zpsqdlliacd.jpg

Edited by Marshall Mattias

The Marhsals of the Renascibilitas Crusade endorse this WIP update:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/26F4266A-0A43-4CB6-884E-2E8CA00D7167_zpsxjmcdr9e.jpg

Even the lowliest servant of the Emperor may expend their worthless life in advancing the Eternal Crusade!

Only a little more painting required to finish my vow, as my Cypher, Ironclad and Grimaldus are already finished. Hopefully I can cash this one in over the next few days!